Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Had this issue PLENTY of times with Ice and Dek Hockey.

The most annoying part about that is when game time is right at 8 and they text 10 minutes before game time: “oh, sorry can’t make it!” And there’s only 7 of us :skeptic:

About once per summer session, we get a game with exactly five skaters and a goaltender (me). Once I went to the bench for an extra attacker, and didn't remember until I arrived that there was no one sitting there to take my place.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I’ve never understood this. My significant other doesn’t really care much about sports so it’s good she doesn’t go.

Do they come and hang out by the bench too? Had that happen on occasions with pick-up hockey.

Ladies, the stands is that way to watch your bender boyfriend take slapshots on an open net (and missing 9 out of 10)

leauge games, and the funny thing is, that team will have 2 or 3 players that are not (at the right level) killing it for their team, it's rather pathetic, how these skilled players are playing at the lower levels.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So, because we had 'too many players' on one team for our division, our team captain and another guy decided to split the teams up. One half of the group goes to the upper division with a new formed team, the other half (less skilled players) stay in the lower divison. Both teams were blown out in their respective three games, and I'm not alone in thinking that it's the dumbest decision the captain has made so far.

I have the option in staying in both, but that lower division team needs the help they can get. :help:
I'm most likely going to drop the upper league, and stay with the lower league just to help the guys that need it.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
People who celly hard as if they are in the show are such losers.

It's all context. I've seen a team score against us with an otherwise meaningless goal, to see the team just go nuts over an older asian lady score her first goal ever. It was kind of charming. Or my son scored his first goal in minor hockey in the last two years, and while I don't remember his celly, his team again went nuts even though it was just the first minute of the game.

I'm in my second year of playing beer league hockey, and still haven't scored (doing well on assists though). I don't care if we're up 8-1, I'm going to celly hard if/when I score.

But yeah - if it's your third goal of the night, just skate back to your bench.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's all context. I've seen a team score against us with an otherwise meaningless goal, to see the team just go nuts over an older asian lady score her first goal ever. It was kind of charming. Or my son scored his first goal in minor hockey in the last two years, and while I don't remember his celly, his team again went nuts even though it was just the first minute of the game.

I'm in my second year of playing beer league hockey, and still haven't scored (doing well on assists though). I don't care if we're up 8-1, I'm going to celly hard if/when I score.

But yeah - if it's your third goal of the night, just skate back to your bench.
There is one team I play against where a ton of the guys take it way too seriously. They argue calls against the refs non-stop, take penalties because they are angry, then talk trash when they score (it probably doesn't help that we have beaten them in two championship games, one of which they had a 1-0 lead in a best of 3 series and lost the next two). The guy in particular took two penalties which we proceeded to score from, then scored a goal on a powerplay in the third and freaked out like he just won the Stanley Cup. He scored two more times and after both goals showboated and acted like he was the greatest player alive.

One of the refs even chastised him for it (because seriously, who does that?), and a guy on our bench even gave him a whack after one because he pretty much cellied directly at us.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There is one team I play against where a ton of the guys take it way too seriously. They argue calls against the refs non-stop, take penalties because they are angry, then talk trash when they score (it probably doesn't help that we have beaten them in two championship games, one of which they had a 1-0 lead in a best of 3 series and lost the next two). The guy in particular took two penalties which we proceeded to score from, then scored a goal on a powerplay in the third and freaked out like he just won the Stanley Cup. He scored two more times and after both goals showboated and acted like he was the greatest player alive.

One of the refs even chastised him for it (because seriously, who does that?), and a guy on our bench even gave him a whack after one because he pretty much cellied directly at us.
What level is that at?

I know growing up in minor hockey, nobody really talked to the refs - however once you get into junior and above, you're regularly having conversations with the refs between whistles, and they're communicating with you as well. If you think they missed a call, you go let them know # whatever on the other team has been doing something wrong a few times in a row, and ask them to look out for that. You get acquainted.

This is also similar when I played men's league, only for a few games playing for my buddy's team in A. Constant talking between refs and players. Obviously you don't want to be showboating and acting like a hero, but some old habits die hard re: communicating with referees.

Reactions: DaveG

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
What level is that at?

I know growing up in minor hockey, nobody really talked to the refs - however once you get into junior and above, you're regularly having conversations with the refs between whistles, and they're communicating with you as well. If you think they missed a call, you go let them know # whatever on the other team has been doing something wrong a few times in a row, and ask them to look out for that. You get acquainted.

This is also similar when I played men's league, only for a few games playing for my buddy's team in A. Constant talking between refs and players. Obviously you don't want to be showboating and acting like a hero, but some old habits die hard re: communicating with referees.
It's D league, which is decent hockey (regularly have low level college players or guys who played AAA back in the day but that's about it), but not enough to where you are actively spouting off at the officials.

It also wasn't communication, it was complaining because they thought the ref messed up on a puck drop location and wouldn't stop talking about it.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON

This is the kind of stuff that turned me off of rec league hockey. I was in a Sunday AM league here and there was a team of ex Jr B/C guys that all played together. They were probably all mid to late 20s, all my age group (I am 46 now). It was lowest level rec, and my team was me and my buddies - none who had played that level. This team would light every team in the league up and then start gooning things up too. Seriously....they would celebrate (some of the guys) when they go up 8, 9 goals. Then to start trying to fight guys even? One guy literally had a G on the front of his jersey (where the A or C would be) that mean goon - was supposedly the toughest guy in our local Jr C league when he played. Sorry - but how can that be fun?

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
I'm working my way back from a patellar tendon tear suffered in March 2019. I was recently informed I made my 70th PT visit (71 technically since I had an appointment the day after ).

I'm the captain of my rec team and we've been giving up leads against teams we're well capable of beating. We're also losing by large margins to some teams. We're a middle tier team in our league (C1) and I've preached a simplified style of hockey for about 3 years (strong forecheck, strong backcheck, good positional defensive zone coverage/physical in front of our net, and bodies in front of theirs). Guys are starting to get frustrated , and our goalie is on the brink of quitting. I haven't been cleared and feel horrible and helpless because I can't myself do anything about the losses on the ice. I stepped away for a couple weeks in December because it was hard for me to watch and not play.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I play on various teams in anywhere from A to C/D Division hockey (in both ice and inline) and find the higher-tiers generally have less of what people are complaining about ITT (complaining to the refs, showboating, chippy/dirty plays).

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Honestly taking beer league hockey too seriously has really been a problem for me continuing to play. When I was in high school there was always a good bit of class and composure on the ice, everyone knew we weren't making the NHL, it was for exercise and fun. When I started playing men's league at 15, and now ten years later I've been amazed how immature most beer leaguers are. Fighting, complaining to the refs and taking every play as far as they can. Honestly, I don't want to get hurt playing men's league hockey. I don't want to hurt anyone and I barely care who wins. I want to score a few goals, make some nice passes and keep my skating legs going. If you're a show-boat with three goals, I'll skate my butt off trying to get back to cover you. Frankly I imagine you'd rather wok for your goals anyway, I would. If one of the older guys that hasn't had a shot on goal yet is on a breakaway, I'm letting him have his opportunity. I'll be there for the rebound, but I'd rather he gets to have some fun than gutting out a win abusing players that aren't up to snuff. I think a lot of people don't get that about beer league. There's tons of talent disparity, half the guys are playing in the wrong league and everyone sensible is just there for fun. Instead half of them are capturing the glory of an NHL career they never had.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Honestly taking beer league hockey too seriously has really been a problem for me continuing to play. When I was in high school there was always a good bit of class and composure on the ice, everyone knew we weren't making the NHL, it was for exercise and fun. When I started playing men's league at 15, and now ten years later I've been amazed how immature most beer leaguers are. Fighting, complaining to the refs and taking every play as far as they can. Honestly, I don't want to get hurt playing men's league hockey. I don't want to hurt anyone and I barely care who wins. I want to score a few goals, make some nice passes and keep my skating legs going. If you're a show-boat with three goals, I'll skate my butt off trying to get back to cover you. Frankly I imagine you'd rather wok for your goals anyway, I would. If one of the older guys that hasn't had a shot on goal yet is on a breakaway, I'm letting him have his opportunity. I'll be there for the rebound, but I'd rather he gets to have some fun than gutting out a win abusing players that aren't up to snuff. I think a lot of people don't get that about beer league. There's tons of talent disparity, half the guys are playing in the wrong league and everyone sensible is just there for fun. Instead half of them are capturing the glory of an NHL career they never had.

So I'm going to half agree / half disagree with you. I never really understood the "take it too seriously". I like taking it seriously! I know none of this ultimately matters, but winning is more fun than losing, I like making a smart play if I can. I have very little talent or skill, but I figure I'll try to work hard on every shift, be first to the puck if I can, and try to make something happen. I am going to get pissed off at myself if I make a mistake. If the old guy on the other team scores a goal I'll be happy for him, but I'm still going to try and take it away from him.

But yeah - the guys who are overly physical? The guys (including a couple of my team) who start chirping the refs when they don't like some calls? Last year I had a teammate drop his gloves and challenge another player to a fight - we're all screaming at him 'what are you thinking', other guy wisely just skated a Grow up guys.

tawheed

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
We had an interesting game a few games ago. We're down 8-1, been in a division too high since the beginning of the season, getting tired of losing. Anyway, the other team, even though they're up by 7 goals are making stupid hits taking penalties. So they take their 7th penalty against us with like 3-4 minutes to go, we get a penalty shot (any penalties above 6 in one game result in a penalty shot), we don't score. Few minutes later, they take another penalty, we get a penalty shot and don't score. It's now less than a minute to go in the game and I say something to the guy who took the 8th penalty as he's skating by the bench. Tough guy from their team comes over to the end of their bench face to face with me and is like "look at the scoreboard" (original), I say some shit back, ref comes over gives the guy an unsportsmanlike, and because it's their 9th penalty they forfeit, I'll never forget the look the on the guy's face as I was lmao.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
We had an interesting game a few games ago. We're down 8-1, been in a division too high since the beginning of the season, getting tired of losing. Anyway, the other team, even though they're up by 7 goals are making stupid hits taking penalties. So they take their 7th penalty against us with like 3-4 minutes to go, we get a penalty shot (any penalties above 6 in one game result in a penalty shot), we don't score. Few minutes later, they take another penalty, we get a penalty shot and don't score. It's now less than a minute to go in the game and I say something to the guy who took the 8th penalty as he's skating by the bench. Tough guy from their team comes over to the end of their bench face to face with me and is like "look at the scoreboard" (original), I say some **** back, ref comes over gives the guy an unsportsmanlike, and because it's their 9th penalty they forfeit, I'll never forget the look the on the guy's face as I was lmao.

Nice! I mean bad losses happen, but yeah it would be super frustrating to have the other team being overly physical when they're up by that much.

I see you're in Edmonton - what league do you play in?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
So I'm going to half agree / half disagree with you. I never really understood the "take it too seriously". I like taking it seriously! I know none of this ultimately matters, but winning is more fun than losing, I like making a smart play if I can. I have very little talent or skill, but I figure I'll try to work hard on every shift, be first to the puck if I can, and try to make something happen. I am going to get pissed off at myself if I make a mistake. If the old guy on the other team scores a goal I'll be happy for him, but I'm still going to try and take it away from him.

But yeah - the guys who are overly physical? The guys (including a couple of my team) who start chirping the refs when they don't like some calls? Last year I had a teammate drop his gloves and challenge another player to a fight - we're all screaming at him 'what are you thinking', other guy wisely just skated a Grow up guys.
I don't think anyone really disagrees with your first paragraph. You obviously want guys to try hard (because being successful in sports is fun and why even be there if you don't care enough to do your best), but at the end of the day none of it matters and nobody really cares about whether you were able to break the record for most goals scored in beer league. People treat it like they are in the show (overly aggressive, angry, super emotional if things don't go their way), and that is what a lot of people like me take issue with.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

tawheed

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
Nice! I mean bad losses happen, but yeah it would be super frustrating to have the other team being overly physical when they're up by that much.

I see you're in Edmonton - what league do you play in?

Currently in NCHL. but also played in ASHL back when River Cree first opened, EMHL until their demise, and AMHL for a couple of seasons. AMHL was by far the best hockey of all of them.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Currently in NCHL. but also played in ASHL back when River Cree first opened, EMHL until their demise, and AMHL for a couple of seasons. AMHL was by far the best hockey of all of them.

Don't even know some of those acronyms, but yeah playing NCHL since doing Discover Hockey a year ago. We're probably in very different tiers though.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
NCHL - Non Contact Hockey League
ASHL - Adult Safe Hockey League
EMHL - Edmonton Municipal Hockey League
AMHL - Alberta Men's Hockey League

:)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
We were playing, they were scoring.

Cycling game in their zone was going ok...weird bounces all over the ice.

Happens.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
What division are you in? Ever looking for spares?

Div 12 NCHL. It's been a lot of fun - guys are pretty much all on the very low end of skills, so you don't feel totally useless out there.

And other than very occasionally needing a goalie, we have a really stable group. I don't think we've needed a skater spare all year.

tawheed

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
Div 12 NCHL. It's been a lot of fun - guys are pretty much all on the very low end of skills, so you don't feel totally useless out there.

And other than very occasionally needing a goalie, we have a really stable group. I don't think we've needed a skater spare all year.

Hit me up if you ever need a guy! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad