Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Not much worse when people don't show up. A good war story for the few that do show. I've had my share of those games and if anything, you wish you actually had an excuse to complain about your ice time

It often turns a fun night into an agonizing chore. It's great when you overcome and win anyway!

A bit of a heads up so we could plan to bring a sub for somebody would be so, I dunno, "responsible". Silly me for thinking that way though.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Played like crap for a couple games, missing passes and shots, could not figure out what was wrong at all. Stick needed to be re-taped and when I took the old tape off I noticed a slight crack on the blade of my stick lol and just felt silly, it barely moves when I move it with my hands but it was what was throwing me off, I have only been playing for a about a year after a 14 year break and this is my first one piece as I always used wood back in the day lol, everyone knows the ole drop your stick butt-end down to HEAR a broken stick and I had done that a few times and the darn thing sounded completely normal .... Now I just feel silly

Reactions: tacogeoff

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
My team (the top seeded in the league) blew a 3-1 lead going in to the third against the lowest seed in the playoffs. 4-3 in OT. Our bracket format is 1 and done in the first round, so that's it for us. Dominated the regular season only to be a first round exit. We're the Blues of this league.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Super frustrating game tonight. We had seven skaters, which is normal for this particular B-team. We're losing 6-5 in the last two-ish minutes of the game, and it seems the other team didn't like this very much.

I am a very chummy guy on the ice, I like to laugh when I f*** up and tap the other goalie on the pads when he makes a good stop.

What I don't like is when I'm totally away from the play and some guy just decks me out of nowhere, unprovoked, knocking me straight to the ice - no ambiguity whatsoever, the guy absolutely leveled me.

What I really don't like is when the referee is five feet away, looks straight at me as I'm yelling, and then just skates away.

Guess what, you f***ing moron. That's how you end up with a player who suddenly isn't above dishing out a slewfoot. Control the game or end up with a scrum.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Playing as a sub in the ASHL in Vancouver last week, the refs were absolutely atrocious! They called 4 - 5 penalties on us, while none against the other team

At one point I was bear hugged by a defender, so I stopped and looked at the ref for a call, and he says from 10 feet away "you gotta keep working"

I was under the impression that a penalty was a penalty. I didn't realize it was dependent upon the effort level of the victim at the time of the infraction

After the game I asked the ref what was up with that none call and he says "embarrass me into the call"

And I was like, 'what does that mean?'

And he says "keep working and force me to make the call"

Reactions: DaveG

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Playing as a sub in the ASHL in Vancouver last week, the refs were absolutely atrocious! They called 4 - 5 penalties on us, while none against the other team

At one point I was bear hugged by a defender, so I stopped and looked at the ref for a call, and he says from 10 feet away "you gotta keep working"

I was under the impression that a penalty was a penalty. I didn't realize it was dependent upon the effort level of the victim at the time of the infraction

After the game I asked the ref what was up with that none call and he says "embarrass me into the call"

And I was like, 'what does that mean?'

And he says "keep working and force me to make the call"
The only problem with that is that the ref might not call it because he thinks you're embellishing. Worst case, you even risk getting a penalty for embellishment. I know that sucks but sometimes you just can't win.

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
What I really don't like is when the referee is five feet away, looks straight at me as I'm yelling, and then just skates away.

Guess what, you ****ing moron. That's how you end up with a player who suddenly isn't above dishing out a slewfoot. Control the game or end up with a scrum.

Ha, I just had one of these refs, too, Friday. "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you would call the ***** cross checks" ... *blank stare* ... "because if you don't, this is probably gonna escalate"... *blank stare* ... "and it's gonna be your fault".... (that got him) "ha, ha, that's a good one"... "good, glad I could be your entertainment; now you be a better referee"

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Ha, I just had one of these refs, too, Friday. "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you would call the ***** cross checks" ... *blank stare* ... "because if you don't, this is probably gonna escalate"... *blank stare* ... "and it's gonna be your fault".... (that got him) "ha, ha, that's a good one"... "good, glad I could be your entertainment; now you be a better referee"
LOL glad I don't deal with beer leagues.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
A friend of mine and I played on a team together, and then he quit after the last season as he was on like 3 other teams and couldn't fit them all in.

Anyways, for our first game of the season last week, we ended up having only 4 players. My friend played directly before us that night so he ended up joining us as a sub, and someone else from our roster showed up about midway through the 1st.

We go through 2 periods and we're winning by 3 goals, and then midway through the 3rd, one of the league's "managers" (there's not really a structured hierarchy; there's like 3-4 people who take turns running things and one main guy who organizes it all) comes over and she's REALLY mad, and she informs us that the main guy is mad as well. (both people are usually VERY level-headed, for a bit of context) Apparently my friend wasn't allowed to sub for some reason, even though he would have played for us if he had the time. My friend had to sit for the rest of the game, and I got the impression that we were "formally" reprimanded, though I didn't hear anything about any additional punishment last Monday when I came back for our second game.

What was also stupid is that I believe someone on the other team went and complained, even though they had an actual ringer from like 3 divisions above us.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Be careful with the money Elf!! And didn't that other team want a game??

Last team I co-ran had problems with money. Three of us fronted the money one game under the provision everyone else paid the following week. We were the only three to show up the next week, and we were out of luck and out a lot of money... The three of us were banned from stepping on the ice the rest of the season with any team, and were out hundreds each..

I have since run some indoor soccer teams. Everyone puts it on plastic up front, or they don't step on the field....

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Beer league can get way too heated, sometimes.

I skate over to a guy on the backdoor of the net in my zone. He aggressively lifts my stick, almost hitting me in the face, and so I slash his stick in return. He gets pissed, gives me a couple crosschecks with a "f*** you" and I give him some shoves during the play. We both get taken to the box for two minutes.

Two periods later, we are up 6-0, I skate to the front of the net in the attacking zone, the same guy gives me a good crosscheck to the back sending me on my stomach. No call. I get incredibly pissed just because I figured the altercation from before was over and we both could move on, but he wouldn't do that. I skate by him after the play, yelling at the bench and him that I will f*** him up if he tries that again. Yelling on both sides.

After the game I felt kind of embarrassed that I got so heated about it. Yeah he got me from behind but it wasn't that hard and I wasn't ready for it which is the only reason why it sent me forward, and we were up 6-0 at the time, anyway. Just too much testosterone. Should have just told him to get over himself and call it a day.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Last shift of our last game of the year (eliminated in playoffs) I took a puck right off the ear. My ear is still ringing almost 24 hours later, starting to get concerned. I get that we are all competitive and want to win, but why do you have to shoot the puck head high off the glass with a minute left when a player is right there? Really pissed about it although I know it's an accident.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
My team (the top seeded in the league) blew a 3-1 lead going in to the third against the lowest seed in the playoffs. 4-3 in OT. Our bracket format is 1 and done in the first round, so that's it for us. Dominated the regular season only to be a first round exit. We're the Blues of this league.

Funny enough I am in the opposite side of things. We were the last placed team (missing most of our players due to a range of injuries this year) and knocked out the first place team in 2 straight (we had most of our guys back). Feels good to be the 2012 Kings (so far)

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
We had a playoff game last night. I almost never have issues with anyone so when I do it's usually because of blatant offenses. This guy yesterday skated up to me immediately after a face off and just shoved me down. The puck was nowhere near me. I sat on the ice and waited for one of the refs to say something but nothing. It was weird it was like nobody except for me and one teammate were aware that it happened.

The guy is a lot bigger than me but he's a bad skater and for the most part a bad player. When he was skating towards our net I picked up speed and tried to shove him and cause him to go head first into the net. I think we slashed each other some point after that too. I knew I was gonna have to call him out because nobody else was.

We talked trash the rest of the game. He tried to trip me after a whistle, I slashed him. I refused to shake his hand, he threw a fit. He even slashed an older guy on our team when the puck was nowhere near him. He didn't confront the guy about it either. One of the guy's teammates after the game told me they didn't like him and he won't be back next season, yet they are giving him high fives like they like him. I don't know if people were just scared of him or what.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
We had a playoff game last night. I almost never have issues with anyone so when I do it's usually because of blatant offenses. This guy yesterday skated up to me immediately after a face off and just shoved me down. The puck was nowhere near me. I sat on the ice and waited for one of the refs to say something but nothing. It was weird it was like nobody except for me and one teammate were aware that it happened.

The guy is a lot bigger than me but he's a bad skater and for the most part a bad player. When he was skating towards our net I picked up speed and tried to shove him and cause him to go head first into the net. I think we slashed each other some point after that too. I knew I was gonna have to call him out because nobody else was.

We talked trash the rest of the game. He tried to trip me after a whistle, I slashed him. I refused to shake his hand, he threw a fit. He even slashed an older guy on our team when the puck was nowhere near him. He didn't confront the guy about it either. One of the guy's teammates after the game told me they didn't like him and he won't be back next season, yet they are giving him high fives like they like him. I don't know if people were just scared of him or what.

I’ve had a few guys I can think of on different teams over the years like that and from my experience I think it comes down to not wanting to make it awkward. One guy was older and he was a nice guy and friendly with everyone but once he hit the ice he was just a total dick to everyone even his own team if we made mistakes. But then after the game he’s back to being chill. So during the season you just play with him and hope he doesn’t go too far next game and then casually delete his email in the off-season lol

Reactions: DaveG and lawrence

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I’ve had a few guys I can think of on different teams over the years like that and from my experience I think it comes down to not wanting to make it awkward. One guy was older and he was a nice guy and friendly with everyone but once he hit the ice he was just a total dick to everyone even his own team if we made mistakes. But then after the game he’s back to being chill. So during the season you just play with him and hope he doesn’t go too far next game and then casually delete his email in the off-season lol

Makes sense. Realistically adults are stuck in their ways. Our league, however, we don't keep the same teams. There is a new draft and who knows who you will be playing with and whoever signs up first gets in the league so there are good players with good temperaments that aren't guaranteed to get back in. Occasionally a maniac who thinks he's a goon in the NHL slips into the roster.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Kind of sick playing with only 7-8 skaters.
11pm Game - "Too late"
7pm Game - " Too early"

Had this issue PLENTY of times with Ice and Dek Hockey.

The most annoying part about that is when game time is right at 8 and they text 10 minutes before game time: “oh, sorry can’t make it!” And there’s only 7 of us :skeptic:

Reactions: jorbjorb

lawrence

May 19, 2012
some of the younger players maybe out of high school? bringing their groupies to the game. Fricking annoying the girls that want attention.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Super frustrating game tonight. We had seven skaters, which is normal for this particular B-team. We're losing 6-5 in the last two-ish minutes of the game, and it seems the other team didn't like this very much.

I am a very chummy guy on the ice, I like to laugh when I **** up and tap the other goalie on the pads when he makes a good stop.

What I don't like is when I'm totally away from the play and some guy just decks me out of nowhere, unprovoked, knocking me straight to the ice - no ambiguity whatsoever, the guy absolutely leveled me.

Guess what, you ****ing moron. That's how you end up with a player who suddenly isn't above dishing out a slewfoot. Control the game or end up with a scrum.

I use to do score keeping too.

a 6-5 game with 2 minutes left "usually" means refs don't want the other team tying it, which means a tie goes into o.t means they have to stay longer etc etc. trust me on this one.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I use to do score keeping too.

a 6-5 game with 2 minutes left "usually" means refs don't want the other team tying it, which means a tie goes into o.t means they have to stay longer etc etc. trust me on this one.

Believe me, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
11:00 PM games on a Wednesday.
Those are my favourite, lots of ice time. There’s always that damn 30 second heart stopping moment however, when the other teams goalie isn’t on the ice yet during warmups and you’re wondering if you are screwing yourself for work for nothing lol

I’ll trade you for my 11:30pm on a Friday coming up.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
some of the younger players maybe out of high school? bringing their groupies to the game. Fricking annoying the girls that want attention.

I’ve never understood this. My significant other doesn’t really care much about sports so it’s good she doesn’t go.

Do they come and hang out by the bench too? Had that happen on occasions with pick-up hockey.

Ladies, the stands is that way to watch your bender boyfriend take slapshots on an open net (and missing 9 out of 10)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->