Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As someone who gets paid to be a ringer in cash tournaments, I resent all the negativity against ringers.

Here's a tip, be a better hockey player and stop the ringer.
Cash Tournaments are a different animal than a slow puck rec league. For money tournaments I always added players to my teams also; we are on the same page.

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the better players who helped teams be competitive by covering up, I am talking about 15 AA players playing against 13 rec players, and 2 travel caliber players.

In the lowest division leagues, bringing in ringers is poor form. I could neutralize a ringer. I could not neutralize a team of ringerS...

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
Very valid and fair points.
Cash Tournaments are a different animal than a slow puck rec league. For money tournaments I always added players to my teams also; we are on the same page.

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the better players who helped teams be competitive by covering up, I am talking about 15 AA players playing against 13 rec players, and 2 travel caliber players.

In the lowest division leagues, bringing in ringers is poor form. I could neutralize a ringer. I could not neutralize a team of ringerS...

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
This is more a vent about pick up. Probably wouldn’t apply in leagues since, you only need one jersey and the jerseys, if left behind by accident, aren’t as desirable.

It’s totally foul to take a “desirable” jersey like one of an NHL team if it doesn’t belong to you if it’s left on the bench, but yet, I’ve forgetten enough (only human) jerseys where they aren’t turned into lost and found where from now on, just going to wear very plain ones. Had vintage (even if they both cost only 50 bucks combined) Thrashers and Maple Leaf jerseys stolen by other players, in the last 6 months in a West Coast City . Seems they won’t do that for equipment like elbow pads and gloves but will do that for jerseys. Again it’s hogwash and even if you messed up and left it behind, stealing

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
This is more a vent about pick up. Probably wouldn’t apply in leagues since, you only need one jersey and the jerseys, if left behind by accident, aren’t as desirable.

It’s totally foul to take a “desirable” jersey like one of an NHL team if it doesn’t belong to you if it’s left on the bench, but yet, I’ve forgetten enough (only human) jerseys where they aren’t turned into lost and found where from now on, just going to wear very plain ones. Had vintage (even if they both cost only 50 bucks combined) Thrashers and Maple Leaf jerseys stolen by other players, in the last 6 months in a West Coast City . Seems they won’t do that for equipment like elbow pads and gloves but will do that for jerseys. Again it’s hogwash and even if messed up and left it behind, stealing

Low down and dirty, but easily fixed. Jersey goes straight off your back into your bag. I lay stuff out preparing to put it on, but coming off it goes straight into the bag.

I always pick up my bag and do a double take of where I'm sitting and under the bench before exiting.

Probably not gonna like me, but a lot less of that stuff would happen if people were more careful with their things.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Low down and dirty, but easily fixed. Jersey goes straight off your back into your bag. I lay stuff out preparing to put it on, but coming off it goes straight into the bag.

I always pick up my bag and do a double take of where I'm sitting and under the bench before exiting.

Probably not gonna like me, but a lot less of that stuff would happen if people were more careful with their things.

You sure make things seem simple - over-simple. It's not about "not liking you"; it's about having empathy for a fellow hockey player.

What if you're bringing a light and a dark sweater to the bench for pickup? What if the locker room is so crowded that it's stuffed to the gills? What if the situation isn't as perfect as whatever you've got imagined in your head?

Sometimes things happen; there's no need to place any blame on the victim here.

Reactions: beenhereandthere

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
You sure make things seem simple - over-simple. It's not about "not liking you"; it's about having empathy for a fellow hockey player.

What if you're bringing a light and a dark sweater to the bench for pickup? What if the locker room is so crowded that it's stuffed to the gills? What if the situation isn't as perfect as whatever you've got imagined in your head?

Sometimes things happen; there's no need to place any blame on the victim here.

Maybe I've just seen 'Full Metal Jacket' one time too many? .. Private Pyle and his unlocked footlocker and all.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
A couple nights ago, I was back on D and the opposing team chipped the puck into our zone and went off for a change. As I looked over my shoulder before heading into the corner for the puck, I saw two attackers crossing the blue line and all four of my teammates (including my D partner) hanging out in the neutral zone. I figured I would draw them in a little, then fire off a breakout pass and we'd have an odd man rush. I got the puck behind the net. Faked right, faked left, faked right.... Nobody is open. I went to skate the puck and lost my handle on it for a split second. Now I'm stuck. I ended up just eating the puck along the boards to buy some time, but I still ended up hemmed in there for what seemed like way too long before I got some support.

It's flattering that my teammates have the confidence in me to take care of business, and I feel like 9 times out of 10 I make that play, but if you absolutely have to fly the zone, at least give me a target.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Wait, there are tournaments where you can win cash?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Wait, there are tournaments where you can win cash?

I assume you know there are.....

Lacrosse, Soccer, Ice Hockey all have cash tournaments......:thumbu:

(Hockey - First Nations, Lacrosse - Mann Cup, Soccer - Schroeder, off the top of my head...)

Last edited:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
My team got moved up from D to C. In D I'd say I was good to a little above average.. Not the best guy on the team by any means, but I was up there. I already wasn't having a great season this year to begin with, but now playing in C, I feel like I'm lost. Much faster paced and more precise plays. I feel like my endurance is trash compared to the teams we play, and I'm pointless in 5 games, I feel like I'm struggling hard. Last game I told myself to change how I play and be more of a guy who goes to the net for rebounds/deflections rather than someone who takes it in and makes a play. I willingly sat on the PK.
I feel like I CAN play in this division if I were in better shape and worked on my skills, but I don't really practice anymore. I feel like I've gone from being "one of the guys you want on the ice" to "one of the guys you want off the ice" in tight situations. I don't know if I'm over thinking things and trying too hard or if my skill level/fitness vs division just caught up to me. It's frustrating as hell though.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I don't know if I'm over thinking things and trying too hard or if my skill level/fitness vs division just caught up to me. It's frustrating as hell though.

Best thing, IMHO, you can do is simplify your game. Get pucks on net. Get pucks deep. Get on the fore-check and back-check. Take care of your own end first, and most of all, remember to keep your feet moving and keep your shifts short.

If you're having trouble keeping up with the play, then the only hope is always be going at near 100%. The only way to keep that up is to always be fresh by taking short shifts. Up and down the ice once and shift.

This will allow you to get a read for the game at this level and gain confidence. Once you have that, you can start trying to do a little more. And if it's withing your skill set, you'll do more. If it isn't then, well, then it's not, and you'll know what you have to do to keep playing at this level.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Having to play short-handed for most of the first period, while missing all of our best players and icing the 2 worst, made for the epitome of FRUSTRATION last night.

Would have been nice if they didn't try as hard as they could to get 5 goals on us to start, but I guess not everyone is decent enough to have basic empathy for poor schmucks who are already getting shit on by their own team being late. Not that they "should", but I feel bad scoring at will on teams that have a whole team. I must be getting soft in my old age.

Whatever the case, I can't wait to play them next time! They were lucky to get out of that game alive once we finally had everyone show up.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Speaking of old age, I skate with a bunch of 50 somethings (and a few 30-40 somethings as well) at an informal skate every Tuesday. Puck was up in the air near my head in front of the goaltender, and this old guy (who we call coach because he is terrible but is very vocal) swing right at it. Popped me right in the chest.

I gave him a friendly "hey careful with the high stick there" and he was like "you're fine." Not the point, you old goof.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Speaking of old age, I skate with a bunch of 50 somethings (and a few 30-40 somethings as well) at an informal skate every Tuesday. Puck was up in the air near my head in front of the goaltender, and this old guy (who we call coach because he is terrible but is very vocal) swing right at it. Popped me right in the chest.

I gave him a friendly "hey careful with the high stick there" and he was like "you're fine." Not the point, you old goof.
Hey buddy, it's coach.

If you got a problem say it to my face. You know where I'll be.

Reactions: Danko

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Hey buddy, it's coach.

If you got a problem say it to my face. You know where I'll be.
Sure you got the right person?

And assuming you are the right guy, I think if you aren't going to acknowledge that maybe you should not swing your stick at the puck in the air with guys around, then there isn't much else I have to say.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

haha I did similar last game. Situation: tie game, faceoff in our end with ~ 45 seconds left. I'm a D so I'm lined up next to their winger and I notice it's their best faceoff guy vs our worst faceoff guy. Because I'm an asshole, I start skating towards the spot behind their center right as the ref starts to drop the puck and sure enough it's a clean win right to me in stride. I easily split the standing-still defensemen and get a breakaway. forehand-backhand move off the post. well f***, now I'm angry. the play goes the other way and as time is running out there's a scramble in front of our goalie. With less than 10 to go the puck pops up in the air so I in disgust am just looking to swat it far away from the net. My swat turns out to be more of a punch, and it turns out there's a guy on the other team standing right there. I clock him right in the face and he goes down. Luckily he was fine and as the buzzer sounded everyone on both teams stood around laughing.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I can't get on the score sheet in mid tier beer league... 8 assists in 15 games.. I play defense but still.

Reactions: damack

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
What a great topic. when I have some time I'll go through the entire thing. I was recently asked if I would come out of retirement and join a over 50 league ! Was told I might even be a contender for rookie of the year. Imagine that, 1600 amateur games played I can be a rookie in some league.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
You guys have to take better care of yourselves! Hit the gym, eat well, bla bla bla...

Good thing I still feel like I'm in my 20s, because last night we only had enough guys show up to have 1 on the bench! We lost by 3, which is amazing considering our sub goalie let about 5/5 in during one stretch. It was pretty brutal.

I'm the old guy on this team at 36. One other 30 year old I think, and the rest are mid-20s.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
You guys have to take better care of yourselves! Hit the gym, eat well, bla bla bla...

Good thing I still feel like I'm in my 20s, because last night we only had enough guys show up to have 1 on the bench! We lost by 3, which is amazing considering our sub goalie let about 5/5 in during one stretch. It was pretty brutal.

I'm the old guy on this team at 36. One other 30 year old I think, and the rest are mid-20s.
Not much worse when people don't show up. A good war story for the few that do show. I've had my share of those games and if anything, you wish you actually had an excuse to complain about your ice time

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->