Beasts of the Blueline

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
i agree with all three of you guys.

trig, you're right jones has made improvements specifically to his defensive zone coverge. and for the first real time he's been getting pp and pk time which in the long run he needed to further develop his growth.

and drake and voldy, you are both right of course, for his age, he has progressed very well. he's actually a better all around player at his age than either weber or suter were.

the areas he still needs to work on to become the really good d-man we want him to be remain;
1)better decision making on the breakout. we now get one awful mental lapse every couple games instead of every game last year on the breakout when under no pressure. most often that mistake has been the lazy pass up the middle of the ice. (which as you can tell drives me nuts).
2)he plays far too small for his size. hopefully as he matures and adds muscle he will begin to use that size and play a more physical game.
3)he's a great puck handler thru the neutral zone, but once he gets there tends to not make decisions fast enough too often right now.
4)use those offensive skills better on the point on the pp. after two years, i still don't really know if he has a slap shot.
5)keep his momma's mouth shut. still bugs me she was *****ing publicly about him not getting first line minutes last year.

i know he has high upside. possibly elite upside. i can be patient waiting for that. however, i do think he will be at risk to be traded in the future because not sure we can tie up that large of a percentage of our payroll (weber) on our blueline. probably poile's mistake in trading stevens might prevent that, but i just don't know.

this is where the long term good of the team will benefit from him developing slowly. If he's still just a third pair guy next year he wont be able to command a huge deal. Hopefully he does much like Weber and signs a bridge deal that pays him reasonably well (3 mil or so)but keeps him an RFA. In 5 or 6 years Webers cap hit will still be 7M but his cash will start to drop and we may be able to sign him for a big long term deal then.

Plus with Josi's injury history I'd like to keep Jones as long as possible.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
this is where the long term good of the team will benefit from him developing slowly. If he's still just a third pair guy next year he wont be able to command a huge deal. Hopefully he does much like Weber and signs a bridge deal that pays him reasonably well (3 mil or so)but keeps him an RFA. In 5 or 6 years Webers cap hit will still be 7M but his cash will start to drop and we may be able to sign him for a big long term deal then.

Plus with Josi's injury history I'd like to keep Jones as long as possible.
Bingo. This gets overlooked all the time. It's tough to say, but Josi could be one bad concussion away from his career tragically never being the same.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
For the record though, Jones is not our 5th defenseman, he has played far better than Ekholm.

Jones gets t h e Klein treatment now I guess

Interesting view I actually have been seeing the complete opposite. Jones has made far more egregious mistakes on a semi consistent basis and Ekholm has been unspectacular but more steady to me. There TOI/GM is close. I think Jones will eventually be far better but right now I'd call him the 5th defenseman personally.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
On Jones, I agree with 303. Other than the mental mistakes which will decrease with experience and maturity my two biggest concerns with him are never becoming a physical player the way he should with his size and if he can develop a dangerous shot from the blue line.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
What frustrates me about Jones is he has all that size and is still trying to finesse everything. If he would just bring more physicality to his game he could be doing sooo much better.
That's just not his game though, and I don't see it in his personality either.

He's never going to be a Weber type, even though his frame is close.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Can one of you advanced stat folks tell us who is being protected the most as far as match-ups?

Although right now we've played so much on the road is more likely to show us who other teams are trying to expose the most.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
I'd argue that up until recently, Jones has been our worst d-man. He has played better the last couple of weeks though.

Not saying that he has been bad; if Seth Jones is your worst d-man, you are in pretty good shape...

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Can one of you advanced stat folks tell us who is being protected the most as far as match-ups?

Although right now we've played so much on the road is more likely to show us who other teams are trying to expose the most.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert so I could be way off, but if we filter by home games and even strength play waronice tells me...

Jones/Volchenkov have more defensive zone starts, but play against weaker competition. The opposite is true for Ellis/Ekholm (more offensive zone starts, but harder competition). Whereas Weber/Josi do it all.

Just looking a pure ice time, Jones consistently gets lower 5v5 ice time than Rocketship.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Knowing ESPN's hockey coverage is a joke, based on these rankings I think Josi should slide in at #14. Very undervalued by people that don't see alot of Preds hockey.

Maybe I'm being biased but I feel that's a solid rank on my part.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I wouldn't consider myself an expert so I could be way off, but if we filter by home games and even strength play waronice tells me...

Jones/Volchenkov have more defensive zone starts, but play against weaker competition. The opposite is true for Ellis/Ekholm (more offensive zone starts, but harder competition). Whereas Weber/Josi do it all.

Just looking a pure ice time, Jones consistently gets lower 5v5 ice time than Rocketship.
Yeah, I could see that but Jones was paired with Bartley for 4 games, that had to kill his es time

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
well the same nimrods did the forwards and they rank Hornqvist ahead of Neal... Neal dropped from 29 to 62, presumably just because he is now a Pred..

and they threw Droiun with his one goal in there at 100, but FF is not ranked...

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Those were all road games and the analysis was only based on home games.

Ahhhh, ty.

It's interesting that Jones is playing weaker competition, but gets more defensive zone faceoffs and plays the pk.

It will be something I bet changes as we play more home games. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad