Signing(s): Bears sign Khalil Mack (6 years, $141M)

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Chicago absolutely had to sign him after giving up that much to obtain him. They can swallow this contract as well with no one else currently earning big bucks.

However I'm not a fan of putting that much money for a defensive player in an offensive game. Primarily for a team that isn't close to contending. The expectations and pressure on Trubisky just skyrocketed as well. So we'll see what happens there as they apparently believe in him.

I sort of hate to make this comparison as I feel Mack is a better player. But this could be Suh to Miami all over again.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Chicago absolutely had to sign him after giving up that much to obtain him. They can swallow this contract as well with no one else currently earning big bucks.

However I'm not a fan of putting that much money for a defensive player in an offensive game. Primarily for a team that isn't close to contending. The expectations and pressure on Trubisky just skyrocketed as well. So we'll see what happens there as they apparently believe in him.

I sort of hate to make this comparison as I feel Mack is a better player. But this could be Suh to Miami all over again.

The bolded is the lone positive of the trade from the Raiders side. The picks will be decent, maybe even quite high. Also keeping in mind that the Raiders defense has never actually been good in the last ten years or so, including with Mack on it. They need to change their mindset towards other positions. Pass rushing is heavily dependent upon coverage. The year the Raiders made the playoffs they were last in the league in sacks. With Mack.

I love Mack, I'm super pissed about the trade, but the organizational attitude towards defense has been backwards for years. They keep drafting and signing pass rushers, but that's not why they can't get to the QB. The interior DL is bad, the coverage is bad, the linebackers are bad. It's gonna take a few years to fix this. The opposing QB doesn't need time to throw when nobody can cover.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Mack is like one of three guys on defense that can actually command such a high price. Donald obviously being one of the others.

There's no such thing as one player being able to win a game in a team sport, but can sure as hell tilt the scales in your favor majorly being such an imposing force coming off the line. Keep in mind the Bears defense was a legitimate top 10 unit last season (7th pass/11th rush/10th total) and while they obviously need a bit more talent on offense, adding Mack sure as hell won't hurt.

They lowkey had a great offseason. Picking up Robinson, hiring Nagy and now this? They might not be a contender just yet but they're on the right path.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The bolded is the lone positive of the trade from the Raiders side. The picks will be decent, maybe even quite high. Also keeping in mind that the Raiders defense has never actually been good in the last ten years or so, including with Mack on it. They need to change their mindset towards other positions. Pass rushing is heavily dependent upon coverage. The year the Raiders made the playoffs they were last in the league in sacks. With Mack.

I love Mack, I'm super pissed about the trade, but the organizational attitude towards defense has been backwards for years. They keep drafting and signing pass rushers, but that's not why they can't get to the QB. The interior DL is bad, the coverage is bad, the linebackers are bad. It's gonna take a few years to fix this. The opposing QB doesn't need time to throw when nobody can cover.

They never found another pass rusher to go along with Mack.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I was very confused when I saw this headline as I was waiting to get a hair cut today. Kalil Mack doesn't play for the Bears... right? RIGHT???

They didn't mention that he was also traded today.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is this real? What in the world were the Raiders thinking?
I don’t get it either. Do they think they are that far off from heir 12-4 season from 2016? Was that a fluke year?

Let’s look at their pieces. QB have a good one in Carr. 4 year starter. WR, Cooper is good but has had issues with drops. Nelson is the vet that Gruden likes to have. See whoe emerges as #3 option. Cook is a middle of the pack TE. Solid RB by committee. Interior OL is their strength. Penn moving to RT and Miller as a rookie LT. Penn is still very good so a lot depends on Millers development. If you have a qb with a good OL you can do damage.

For the D, the DL would be fairy young. Secondary still a question mark with having to cut their 2nd round pick last year at SS. And Conley has been nicked up since being drafted last year at CB.

Defense needed some work, but didn’t expect a massive overhaul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad