Bears & NFL Talk LXII: Down goes the Rams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bryce Callahan in IR. Done for the season. Marcus Williams, DB, just signed.

On a good note, the NFL salary cap goes up $10mn. It will help sign Amos and Callahan. Callahan is hurt ... so he'll come cheaper. I doubt the Bears over spend on a strong safety. Amos' contract demand will have to come down.

Other teams will have more to spend too. Will the Bears re sign Bobby Massie? The OL UFA crop is extremely thin this year. Massie might be a target for several teams. For that reason, expect Kyle Long to be back with the Bears. That's my guess.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Gotta stick with the run game at first, IMO. They rushed for almost 200 yards against the Rams. Do the same to the Packers. Pound it down their throat. Use the pass when necessary after the run opens up the play-action.

I just don't think that's Nagy's style. To his credit, he saw that Trubisky didn't have it and adjusted vs the Rams, but I don't think he goes into games with the mindset that they have to really run the ball.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bryce Callahan in IR. Done for the season. Marcus Williams, DB, just signed.

On a good note, the NFL salary cap goes up $10mn. It will help sign Amos and Callahan. Callahan is hurt ... so he'll come cheaper. I doubt the Bears over spend on a strong safety. Amos' contract demand will have to come down.

Other teams will have more to spend too. Will the Bears re sign Bobby Massie? The OL UFA crop is extremely thin this year. Massie might be a target for several teams. For that reason, expect Kyle Long to be back with the Bears. That's my guess.

Terrible news on Callahan front

How exactly will he be cheaper? Teams wont be put off by his injury history as its nothing major that will degrade his play. He is one of the best slot corners and teams in need will be offering him good deals if he reaches FA

As for Williams. I remember him showing promise with Jets and having a Zach Bowman like mirage year (6 INT's)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Terrible news on Callahan front

How exactly will he be cheaper? Teams wont be put off by his injury history as its nothing major that will degrade his play. He is one of the best slot corners and teams in need will be offering him good deals if he reaches FA

As for Williams. I remember him showing promise with Jets and having a Zach Bowman like mirage year (6 INT's)

I expect it won't make him cheaper, really. I agree. It's a pinky toe injury. Not like he tore his ACL or has repetitive concussion issues. I expect he'll get an extension in the offseason, though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I expect it won't make him cheaper, really. I agree. It's a pinky toe injury. Not like he tore his ACL or has repetitive concussion issues. I expect he'll get an extension in the offseason, though.
Somewhat true ... but he has a big history of injuries. This doesn't help allay the fears. Furthemore, value jumps exponentially with stronger performance later in the season.

Callahan missed 12 games in the last 3 years. He's missed 25% of the games as the starting nickel back. That's going to impact negotiations a tad.

You're right ... no big injuries. But he's had his share of nicks that's kept him out.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Somewhat true ... but he has a big history of injuries. This doesn't help allay the fears. Furthemore, value jumps exponentially with stronger performance later in the season.

Callahan missed 12 games in the last 3 years. He's missed 25% of the games as the starting nickel back. That's going to impact negotiations a tad.

You're right ... no big injuries. But he's had his share of nicks that's kept him out.

Yeah, he may be slightly cheaper. I just don't expect it will be much. When he's on the field, he's a dynamic player, and changes games.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Oakland filing nonsense lawsuit against Raiders and NFL has lead the Raiders to pull offer to play in Oakland next year (7.5M offer) and are now looking to play a year potentially in San Antonio , Santa Clara , San Diego and potentially a few other places instead

Christmas Eve vs Broncos looks very likely to be final NFL game in Oakland

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Oakland filing nonsense lawsuit against Raiders and NFL has lead the Raiders to pull offer to play in Oakland next year (7.5M offer) and are now looking to play a year potentially in San Antonio , Santa Clara , San Diego and potentially a few other places instead

Christmas Eve vs Broncos looks very likely to be final NFL game in Oakland
Yea, how dare they defend their city.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Defend from what?

Raiders announced move long ago and lease expires at end of this season

Its a vindictive and pointless lawsuit. Hopefully Raiders go after city and force Oakland to pay for legal fees
1. I don't see how a city can prevent a private company from not relocating UNLESS they have a written agreement. This is capitalism.

2. That said, Oakland is correct labeling the NFL as a cartel. It's 32 separate companies combining to have one economic goal. This is where the vague anti trust poop come into play.

Do the NFL teams hold cities hostage? Yes. That said, they are still private companies. The cities don't have to comply with their demands. It's not a frivilous lawsuit (Oakland is trying to make an ethical point), but I CAN'T see how they win ... or a lot of current business laws / practices will be rewritten. However, I do understand why Oakland is angry.

Ultimately, Oakland will be allowed to move to Las Vegas without much issue. However, they'll have to find a new stadium and lose even more money in the process. I don't think Oakland gives a poop.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It is frivolous. It has no merit and is being done out of spite and political points not ethics.

Like I said I hope NFL and Raiders go after Oakland for the legal costs they will incur

And it has already cost Oakland $7.5M (Which is how much Raiders were going to pay Oakland for 1 yr extension on lease of stadium) not to mention any profits from parking , etc made for those 8 Raider home games

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It is frivolous. It has no merit and is being done out of spite and political points not ethics.

Like I said I hope NFL and Raiders go after Oakland for the legal costs they will incur

And it has already cost Oakland $7.5M (Which is how much Raiders were going to pay Oakland for 1 yr extension on lease of stadium) not to mention any profits from parking , etc made for those 8 Raider home games
I don't think it's frivilous ... but yes, it being done out of spite. There are some merits to the case, albeit small. A lot of cities are looking toward Oakland to see how the courts deal with professional teams in the future. Oakland will not win, but some valuable language could still come out from the ruling. It's not about preventing relocation, but how the courts look at anti trust laws towards the NFL.

However, you do have a point on some issues.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ugh... Conflicted between Justin Jackson and Josh Gordon as my flex. I have Chubb and Cook as my starting RBs now and Jackson and Damien Williams on my bench currently. I don't trust Williams with West lurking and Rivers loves throwing to his RBs. Gordon however is the safer choice so it's tough.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ugh... Conflicted between Justin Jackson and Josh Gordon as my flex. I have Chubb and Cook as my starting RBs now and Jackson and Damien Williams on my bench currently. I don't trust Williams with West lurking and Rivers loves throwing to his RBs. Gordon however is the safer choice so it's tough.

Well I started Jackson but benched Williams... f*** me man. Luckily Tyreek Hill took a siht for my opponent so can't complain too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad