Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIV: Khalil Mack's a Bear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I hate whenever it’s above eighty.
I hate when it is above 75 when humid and 80 when dry. My ideal weather is anywhere between 65-75 and about 40-50% humidity, with the sun shining. I might be from Chicago, but I'd be much more comfortable north of the Border. I can deal with -10. 95 sucks worse than -10. Also, the longer it stays in the 80s and above the more humid it gets, because the air can hold more water as it gets warmer.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I hate when it is above 75 when humid and 80 when dry. My ideal weather is anywhere between 65-75 and about 40-50% humidity, with the sun shining. I might be from Chicago, but I'd be much more comfortable north of the Border. I can deal with -10. 95 sucks worse than -10.

Not when it is weeks straight of those temps.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Not when it is weeks straight of those temps.
I was at the Sox game on Saturday and it was 77 with 90+% humidity. It felt like high 80s-low 90s. I was sweating profusely. It really doesn't matter. Either way, I'm not going outside. I made it through winter 2011-2013 here ok, it really isn't all that bad. I was out ice fishing with the weather below 20 degrees F and no shanty....I was bundled up and I actually got a little warm. LOL.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Disagree

June , July , August and part of Sept are unbearable

Something like this

62695_607052035720_2901896_34461535_6171338_n.jpg

Nice and overcast cool day

With temp in 50-60 range and nice consistent 15-20 MPH wind is best

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Disagree

June , July , August and part of Sept are unbearable

Something like this

62695_607052035720_2901896_34461535_6171338_n.jpg

Nice and overcast cool day

With temp in 50-60 range and nice consistent 15-20 MPH wind is best

Remember I live in MN and not IL. We have weeks of sub zero temps. Hell my car's tires froze to the ground.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Not even close. Your skin can literally freeze here at times (in a very short period).

I hate high heat and humidity but weeks of negative temps are far worse.
I'd rather only have to deal with one or the other, not both. Such as life in Chicago. There have been times in the last decade where in the same calendar year we had 10 days of subzero or below 5 degree temps and 90+ temps.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Not even close. Your skin can literally freeze here at times (in a very short period).

I hate high heat and humidity but weeks of negative temps are far worse.
I've been to Minneapolis many times for business. It's so cold there, they have inside walk ways in the city to connect most of the buildings. I never had to walk outside to get to my meeting from my hotel.

Chicago is cold too. What makes Chicago even colder is how spread out everything is in the city. You have to walk outside to get anywhere.

New York is not as cold and everything is compresseed. That said, the cold wind tunnels the skyscrapers make can make life miserable.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I've lived in Phoenix, Tampa, and Chicago. Went to school in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Speaking for myself, I can without hesitation say I will deal with bad heat for a few months versus bad cold for a few months. Especially when the bad cold also comes with snow and ice as an added bonus. And here, that shitty weather can last past winter into spring and usually does.

When it's winter and I see a Twin Cities trip on my calendar I cringe.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I've lived in Phoenix, Tampa, and Chicago. Went to school in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Speaking for myself, I can without hesitation say I will deal with bad heat for a few months versus bad cold for a few months. Especially when the bad cold also comes with snow and ice as an added bonus. And here, that ****ty weather can last past winter into spring and usually does.

When it's winter and I see a Twin Cities trip on my calendar I cringe.

Yep, moreso in Minnesota, but Wisconsin is similar. We almost had to cancel a May 31st fishing trip to Wisconsin because they had ice on the lakes two weeks prior. We weren't sure if it was going to come off before we got up there with the boat. Seriously, guys were ice fishing in Wisconsin until the 3rd week in May... :laugh: Could you imagine having your Memorial Day bbq and it's 35-45 degrees outside? Not me. f*** that!

I'll take a couple months of intense heat over that shit any day.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Lived in Wisconsin for a few years and one winter had below freezing temps for like 40-50 days straight, many in the teens or lower. Midwest winters suck. Give me heat any day.

Reactions: Blue Liner

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I've been to Minneapolis many times for business. It's so cold there, they have inside walk ways in the city to connect most of the buildings. I never had to walk outside to get to my meeting from my hotel.

Chicago is cold too. What makes Chicago even colder is how spread out everything is in the city. You have to walk outside to get anywhere.

New York is not as cold and everything is compresseed. That said, the cold wind tunnels the skyscrapers make can make life miserable.

It is a pretty good system except for the skyways get crowded. When it is so cold it hurts you know it is too cold.

Ice out this year was May Wk 1....May.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It is a pretty good system except for the skyways get crowded. When it is so cold it hurts you know it is too cold.

Ice out this year was May Wk 1....May.

Just be happy it was the first week of May by you. Ice out in Wisconsin was later. The lake I stayed on starting May 31st(Lynx Lake in Vilas County) had safe ice fishing ice on May 17th still. We called to make sure we didn't have to reschedule our trip. Had to do it again about 10 days later... and got lucky that they had that same 90+ degree heat wave leading into Memorial Day weekend that we had. Otherwise we would have been rescheduling, or taking ice fishing gear up with us instead of the boat. :laugh:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Trubisky could turn out to be a dud but I like his confidence and focus going in to camp. Could all be lip service but I think he has the talent to be pretty damn good. My buddy who played at UNC has said from the start that he is the real deal.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Trubisky could turn out to be a dud but I like his confidence and focus going in to camp. Could all be lip service but I think he has the talent to be pretty damn good. My buddy who played at UNC has said from the start that he is the real deal.
I'm going to give a hot take and say the Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes class is the best set of QBs since Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger.

I have no clue why ... but I think the 2017 QB Draft Class has the right mental makeup and physical gifts to be extremely successful.

Reactions: BK

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm going to give a hot take and say the Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes class is the best set of QBs since Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger.

I have no clue why ... but I think the 2017 QB Draft Class has the right mental makeup and physical gifts to be extremely successful.
They already have a ways to go to catch 2016. Goff and Wentz are pretty good. For all of you other Bears fans: What have you seen that says WOW out of Trubisky? What throws has he made that made you say HOLY CRAP I CAN'T BELIEVE HE MADE THAT THROW.
There are no "wow" moments, which makes me believe that him being average is the most likely outcome, with his ceiling being a notch above average. You pretty much need a HOF QB, or at least a QB who had an MVP type season to win Super bowls now. People talk about NBA Hell a lot, but nobody talks about NFL Hell. NFL Hell is having a QB that is too good to let go, but not good enough to win a SB without an elite defense carrying him. See the Cowboys with Romo, the Chargers with Rivers, etc. Teams have to realize at a certain point that their current QB isn't going to cut it in the playoffs, and cut bait while that QB still has value to a team with an elite defense and a bad QB.

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
They already have a ways to go to catch 2016. Goff and Wentz are pretty good. For all of you other Bears fans: What have you seen that says WOW out of Trubisky? What throws has he made that made you say HOLY CRAP I CAN'T BELIEVE HE MADE THAT THROW.
There are no "wow" moments, which makes me believe that him being average is the most likely outcome, with his ceiling being a notch above average. You pretty much need a HOF QB, or at least a QB who had an MVP type season to win Super bowls now. People talk about NBA Hell a lot, but nobody talks about NFL Hell. NFL Hell is having a QB that is too good to let go, but not good enough to win a SB without an elite defense carrying him. See the Cowboys with Romo, the Chargers with Rivers, etc. Teams have to realize at a certain point that their current QB isn't going to cut it in the playoffs, and cut bait while that QB still has value to a team with an elite defense and a bad QB.

LOL, really?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
LOL, really?
Listen to Laurence Holmes on the Score talk about Trubisky. I didn't steal this idea from him, as I thought this about 4-5 games into Trubisky's tenure as Bears starting QB. It made me more comfortable talking about it though. Also, this is the Bears QB position we're talking about. You have to assume the QB sucks until he proves otherwise. IMO, he doesn't have the "It" factor that the great ones have.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Listen to Laurence Holmes on the Score talk about Trubisky. I didn't steal this idea from him, as I thought this about 4-5 games into Trubisky's tenure as Bears starting QB. It made me more comfortable talking about it though. Also, this is the Bears QB position we're talking about. You have to assume the QB sucks until he proves otherwise. IMO, he doesn't have the "It" factor that the great ones have.
And you think Goff had "wow" throws in his first year? And Wentz also struggled a ton late in his rookie year. And you do know that Wentz is a full 2 years older than Goff and Trubisky.

Trubisky showed enough last year to have hope. Will he succeed? Who knows? Certainly people who know football FAR MORE than Laurence Holmes are positive on Mitch. I don't think Holmes should be your benchmark on football knowledge. Did he even play football in college? Or is he being another media gasbag trying to create content on radio? Did you know Aaron Rodgers was going to be a stud after rotting behind Brett Fave for 3 years?

Goff's success is based on play action to Gurley. Let's see what happens with a year of tape on Goff. Wentz is good. Of course, he's coming off a serious injury. That said, Nick Foles rocked in 2 playoff games ... maybe even better than Wentz. Is it the system or the QB? You don't know either.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
And you think Goff had "wow" throws in his first year? And Wentz also struggled a ton late in his rookie year. And you do know that Wentz is a full 2 years older than Goff and Trubisky.

Trubisky showed enough last year to have hope. Will he succeed? Who knows? Certainly people who know football FAR MORE than Laurence Holmes are positive on Mitch. I don't think Holmes should be your benchmark on football knowledge. Did he even play football in college? Or is he being another media gasbag trying to create content on radio? Did you know Aaron Rodgers was going to be a stud after rotting behind Brett Fave for 3 years?

Goff's success is based on play action to Gurley. Let's see what happens with a year of tape on Goff. Wentz is good. Of course, he's coming off a serious injury. That said, Nick Foles rocked in 2 playoff games ... maybe even better than Wentz. Is it the system or the QB? You don't know either.
Holmes was the Score's Bears Beat guy for a long time, from the late 90s through the middle of the Lovie era. I think he left that job in like 2007 or 2008. I think he knows plenty about football.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Holmes was the Score's Bears Beat guy for a long time, from the late 90s through the middle of the Lovie era. I think he left that job in like 2007 or 2008. I think he knows plenty about football.
He's a media gasbag ... just like Mike Greenberg and Mike Francesa. They create content for their 4 hour radio shows. That's their job ... to have people talk about sports. They say controversial stuff to get people to listen.

The fact Holmes is on the Score is even a bigger negative. Is that doofus, Mike North, still on the radio. I never heard a bigger gasbag in my life. Francesa was the only one worse. I remember North saying he coached Maine South Freshman Football as a reason to take him seriously about football. I played football at an ACC School and I can honestly say I DON'T know any more about the NFL than the average fan.

All I can say is I feel pretty good about Trubisky. That's why I said it's HOT TAKE. Personally, I think I know just as much football as this Laurence Holmes guy. Reading his bio, he's been a radio guy since high school. I have no issues with knowledgeable fans talking football. However, I'm not going to make Laurence Holmes some football guru when 10 year NFL vets can't make accurate predictions about QBs.

You're entitled to your opinions about Trubisky. He can be a major bust this year. No one knows. I just feel good about him. He wasn't great last year. However, I thought he showed enough for fans to be optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You feel pretty good but others including me feel pretty "Meh" about what we saw from kid last year

For a #2 overall pick he was abysmal

He better show himself to be real deal because Bears and fans will have serious doubts about the future of position if he struggles again

Given what Bears gave up for him and the spot he was taken in draft its not unreasonable to be concerned or disappointed with him thus far

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You feel pretty good but others including me feel pretty "Meh" about what we saw from kid last year

For a #2 overall pick he was abysmal

He better show himself to be real deal because Bears and fans will have serious doubts about the future of position if he struggles again

Given what Bears gave up for him and the spot he was taken in draft its not unreasonable to be concerned or disappointed with him thus far

You would be “meh” about winning the Powerball so using yourself as a fan temperature gauge is not at all realistic.

The GIANT difference is that he now has weapons because he had nothing last season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad