Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIII: Countdown to the Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bears decline the option on Kevin White's 5th year. He will be a free agent after the 2018 season.

So I guess now is when he puts it together, eh? heh
If the Bears picked up his option, he'd be paid $14mn in his 5th year. It was a no brainier. That's why the Bears drafted Anthony Miller.

This is why people are ripping Ghettleman for picking Saquon Barkley #2 overall. Even if Barkley becomes an All Pro ... he'll make $18mn in his 5th year. I think Le'Veon Bell is set to make $14.5mn THIS YEAR!

There is a strategy into picking capable QBs in the first round. As a first rounder, the team has 5 controllable years instead of 4 with a manageable contract. This enables the team to sign Kyle Fuller, Allen Robinson, and Trey Burton. There's a lot more variables when making a football decision with a hard cap.

Reactions: Duck Off

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
why?
It'd be stupid not to Keep him for the year as your last Option. You pay him if cut or not and White will work hard enough until he breaks his leg again.
Let's say 5 receivers make the active roster:

* Robinson
* Gabriel
* Miller
* White
* Bellamy

I suspect the Bears try to hide Wims on the practice squad unless he beats out Bellamy on special teams. Tanner Gentry and Bennie Fowler have an uphill battle. Gentry could himself back on the practice squad.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I feel like enough time has passed to start grading the Bears draft.

I would give them an A-. What would you all give them?

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
The score had an analyst on a day or two ago and he said he gives his ranks out by picking the 5 teams who have the best draft, and the Bears were in that list. In fact, he said the Bears were his best team. Not sure who the guy was, though. Still like hearing from multiple sources that the Bears had a good draft. Can't remember the last time we heard that. Not that I remember anyways.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The best way to grade the draft (without knowing on the field performance):

* Did the Bears fill their needs?
* Who were the PERCEIVED "reaches, value, and expected" picks?
* Who are the players with high upside / can help now?
* Who are the picks of high character / risky off the field selections?

None of this matters if the draftees ball out on the field. Hence, we can only evaluate what we know now.

1. The Bears selected 2 fast ILBs, 1 edge rusher, 2 WRs, 1 Interior OL, 1 three technique DL. They filled their LB and WR needs, but missed on good edge rusher and more depth at DB. Daniels at guard/center fills a need with high level talent. For the most part, the Bears did a good job filling their needs. Next year they'll need OTs, DL depth, RBs, and CBs.

2. Daniels appears to be a value pick. Iggy (4th rounder) was a reach. Smith, Miller, Nichols, Fitts, and Wims appeared to be picked where they were supposed to. From a value stand point, it appears the Bears were okay. I don't think a lot of people had an issue trading for New England's mid 2nd round pick for next year's 2nd and this year's 4th. The Bears picked Miller. Present value is always at a premium vs. future value. A 4th round pick was the interest paid.

3. Smith, Miller, and Daniels all appear to have high upsides. They can all help now as well. Nichols and Fitts have high upside but also big risks (small school / injuries). Iggy and Wims appear to be depth / special team guys. The Bears did well picking players with upside while mitigating risk.

4. All the Bears draft picks are high character kids. Smith, Daniels, and Iggy all do well in the classroom AND are considered leaders on and off the field. Nichols and Fitts are considered high motor kids with no off the field issues. Both Miller and Wims had to work up the depth chart at their schools to succeed. Miller is a former walk on. Wims had to go to JC and had to work for a schollie at Georgia. The Bears are only selecting high character kids.

On the field performance is the MAJOR variable.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If you're an advanced analytics geek, Pro Football Focus is probably the most well respected for football. Here is their look on the Bears draft. These guys don't mince words. If teams and players deserved to be criticized, they do it without question. Many NFL analysts like Cris Colinsworth and Peter King always refer to their research.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Knowing the Bears, the password was just 1985.
Too short. It was 46Defense.

If it's anything like my company, IT can wipe the content ... and anything valuable (models, etc.) must be stored through the company drives.

Roquan needs to learn to lock his car ... especially when potential sponsors are giving you free gifts.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I feel like enough time has passed to start grading the Bears draft.

I would give them an A-. What would you all give them?

I say A- as well, which is really good. The only pick I didn't like was Iggy because Sweat was available. I realize he's got injury concerns, but I pull the trigger based on upside alone personally. Other than that, solid draft. By far Pace's best so far.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I say A- as well, which is really good. The only pick I didn't like was Iggy because Sweat was available. I realize he's got injury concerns, but I pull the trigger based on upside alone personally. Other than that, solid draft. By far Pace's best so far.
I liked Sweat too. I forgot how serious his leg injury was in high school. I have friends who follow Virginia HS football who said Sweat almost had his leg amputated. Before that, he was being compared to Jadaveon Clowney. He was considered the best player in that recruiting class before the injury. Sweat's knee inury was similar to that of Zach Miller.

I wish the Bears took a flyer on Maurice Hurst in the 4th or 5th round. If his heart is okay, he's a first round talent.

Reactions: Duck Off

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I wish the Bears took a flyer on Maurice Hurst in the 4th or 5th round. If his heart is okay, he's a first round talent.

I don't want the Bears to take flyers on players having issues with their hearts. No matter how great the talent, the risk is not worth it. I know he won't, but I really do wish Hurst would retire.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't want the Bears to take flyers on players having issues with their hearts. No matter how great the talent, the risk is not worth it. I know he won't, but I really do wish Hurst would retire.

What is his heart issue?

Can't blame the guy for trying to get 3 years of big paychecks.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
BREAKING NEWS: Cowboys WR, Terence Williams, trades Lamborghini for "electric bike."

WR Williams arrested after Lamborghini crash

giphy.gif

Reactions: Illinihockey

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Well, at least the Bears didn't draft Solomon Thomas last year. He still has potential, but he's certainly lost a lot of luster as a potential edge rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad