Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIII: Countdown to the Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
People care too much about watching the draft anyway. What a bore and waste of time to time watch hours and hours of next to nothing and commentators talk up or down picks that they end up being wrong on probably 90%+ of the time.

Anyone who posts on a hockey board but chooses to watch the draft over playoff hockey is out of their mind.
True. It's all a guessing game.

Think of the draft as "The Bachelor" for Meatheads. It's the same concept.

The Hawks are out and I hate watching the Pens.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

apparently.

True. It's all a guessing game.

Think of the draft as "The Bachelor" for Meatheads. It's the same concept.

The Hawks are out and I hate watching the Pens.

I just think it's lame to say someone is out of their mind for preferring to watch the draft over a playoff game that isn't their team. I don't need to watch the Pens rape the Caps for the 3rd year in a row. The Vegas/SJ game was over 5 mins into the game as well. The fact that we post on a hockey MB is irrelevant.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
apparently.

I just think it's lame to say someone is out of their mind for preferring to watch the draft over a playoff game that isn't their team. I don't need to watch the Pens rape the Caps for the 3rd year in a row. The Vegas/SJ game was over 5 mins into the game as well. The fact that we post on a hockey MB is irrelevant.

I agree with you. When the Hawks are done, my interest shifts to baseball, football or other things. To each his own.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yes because people can't love both the NFL and NHL right?

Because that’s what I said?

I love the NFL, maybe not as much as I use to but still do.

With that said, the NFL draft has to be the most boring “sporting event” that there is.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The draft as an TV viewing event is pretty dumb, as you can get everything quicker on twitter or just check in at the end of the day to see what happened, but I still find myself watching it, even while thinking it's pretty silly.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

With that said, the NFL draft has to be the most boring “sporting event” that there is.
Like I said, it's The Bachelor for Meatheads. Josh Rosen went on a rampage last night when 10 teams didn't give him a rose. You have to like college football to like the draft. You have to be invested in the players. No one knows how they will do ... but we watch to catch the emotions.

The reason I can't get into the NHL draft ... I don't know any of the players except for perhaps McJesus.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

"Anyone who posts on a hockey board but chooses to watch the draft over playoff hockey is out of their mind"

It seems like you're implying it. There's a hockey game on, anyone who doesn't watch that over the draft is "out of their mind". I'm sorry, I don't feel the need, desire, etc. to watch Pittsburgh do what they do every year, dominate Washington. At least the draft was unpredictable, unlike that game.

I also think the NHL and NFL have equally interesting drafts. Basketballs draft is a joke. I haven't watched one in years, but a few years ago every team was essentially selling their picks. Baseball has way too many rounds. NFL and NHL easily have the most enjoyable drafts. Is the NFL one overhyped? Yes, everything NFL related is overhyped? I still enjoy watching it. I'm not saying it's amazing, just not a fan of "if you post on a hockey message board, you're out of your mind if you watch the draft over a playoff game".

The draft as an TV viewing event is pretty dumb, as you can get everything quicker on twitter or just check in at the end of the day to see what happened, but I still find myself watching it, even while thinking it's pretty silly.

I disagree. You could argue the same thing about the NHL draft. I like to see what directions teams go, and there's always potential from teams moving around. Last night's draft was fun to watch. Fun to see a team have picks 1 and 4 and still manage not to get one of the better players in the draft. It's Cleveland though so I shouldn't be surprised.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I disagree. You could argue the same thing about the NHL draft. I like to see what directions teams go, and there's always potential from teams moving around. Last night's draft was fun to watch. Fun to see a team have picks 1 and 4 and still manage not to get one of the better players in the draft. It's Cleveland though so I shouldn't be surprised.

To each there own.

No question you can say that about any draft. I actually usually don't watch the NHL drafts, as I haven't watched any of the prospects. I'll turn it on when it's coming to the Hawks pick to see what they say about them, but I don't watch Jr or College hockey hardly ever. With the NHL and to a lessor extent the NBA, I at least know most of the top guys taken from college. I did find last nights draft more interesting than most because of all the QBs as well as the uncertainty and trade possibilities.

But you can stay up to date (actually ahead) of the draft by just following online without watching the TV broadcast.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
"Anyone who posts on a hockey board but chooses to watch the draft over playoff hockey is out of their mind"

It seems like you're implying it. There's a hockey game on, anyone who doesn't watch that over the draft is "out of their mind". I'm sorry, I don't feel the need, desire, etc. to watch Pittsburgh do what they do every year, dominate Washington. At least the draft was unpredictable, unlike that game.

I also think the NHL and NFL have equally interesting drafts. Basketballs draft is a joke. I haven't watched one in years, but a few years ago every team was essentially selling their picks. Baseball has way too many rounds. NFL and NHL easily have the most enjoyable drafts. Is the NFL one overhyped? Yes, everything NFL related is overhyped? I still enjoy watching it. I'm not saying it's amazing, just not a fan of "if you post on a hockey message board, you're out of your mind if you watch the draft over a playoff game".

Sorry I upset you so much. Have fun watching hours of the boring NFL draft though. :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Of course one of the holes was created by our GM for no good reason and now we are going to move our C to that spot after drafting kid in 2nd round this year

Miller has potential but our WR group is still not impressive especially if Kevin White is on roster as anything higher then a #5

Still need help at OLB and depth at OL/CB

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Of course one of the holes was created by our GM for no good reason and now we are going to move our C to that spot after drafting kid in 2nd round this year

Miller has potential but our WR group is still not impressive especially if Kevin White is on roster as anything higher then a #5

Because we didn’t resign an injury prone old guard? :facepalm:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Wait, you’re saying the Bears roster was stacked and Pace came in a torr everything apart?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Because we didn’t resign an injury prone old guard? :facepalm:

Bears declined his option which was very affordable and did not use increased cap room to improve roster

Pace already said Daniels will compete at LG and Whitehair stays at C right now.

Still at end of day our GM created a hole for no good reason and Bears were forced to use a high 2nd to fill it in this draft

Wait, you’re saying the Bears roster was stacked and Pace came in a torr everything apart?

Nope just pointing out Bears are not much if any better then when he took over

Our offense and special teams are much worse compared to team he inherited and our D though improved lacks playmakers

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Our offense and special teams are much worse compared to team he inherited and our D though improved lacks playmakers

That’s because he took over an offense that had playmakers but were near the end of their careers. Cutler, Bennett, and Marshall not only left the bears to do almost nothing but they are all out of the league now. Pace was left to rebuild the entire offense and defense

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Bears declined his option which was very affordable and did not use increased cap room to improve roster

Still at end of day our GM created a hole for no good reason and Bears were forced to use a high 2nd to fill it in this draft

Nope just pointing out Bears are not much if any better then when he took over

Just because you have cap space doesn’t mean you should spend it poorly.

We have one more season of guys developing before we should focus on a playoff push. I don’t think a 33-34 year old injury prone guard is a wise investment and use of cap space.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

We have one more season of guys developing before we should focus on a playoff push. I don’t think a 33-34 year old injury prone guard is a wise investment and use of cap space.
There’s no thinking about it, it isn’t. You don’t build something sustainable throwing money at injury prone guards in their mid-thirties.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Sitton would have cost $8mn+ on the cap this year. He's a great pass blocker but his traits don't match what Nagy wants to do. Nagy's blocking scheme is much like Kyle Shannahan's. They need athletic centers who can "reach" block and get to the 2nd level. Daniels can do that at either center or guard. It's also the reason not to sleep on Grassu. He might be better as he is more of an athletic center. Unfortunately, he still needs to get a lot of strength.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
This is all on Trubisky now. I believe Nagy will design the receivers open. He needs to be accurate with his passes. It's the trait that made Trubisky the #1 QB in the draft last year. When he had a clean pocket, Trubisky was always on the money at UNC. It was his arm strength and accuracy that differentiated him from DeShaun Watson. Let's see if it translates to the NFL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The two undrafted FAs to look for is Kevin Tolliver and Ryan Nall. They might have a chance to make the Bears roster.

Tolliver was a big time CB coming out of HS. LSU didn't have the best coaching.

Ryan Nall is a fullback/HBack with 4.5 speed. He has a shot.

The fact the Bears didn't draft a RB this year implies they are excited about Smoke Mizell with Cunningham and Cohen. Smoke's strength is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. He's really shifty with great hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad