Confirmed with Link: Bean to Columbus for 44th overall

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Remember when Bobby Sanguinetti was drafted in the 1st round and then we traded a 2nd rounder for him like “wow we got a 1st round player!”

I think this is like that but reversed.

Calgary got a 1st round defender from us in Ryan Murphy for nothing too :)

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
I think the biggest mystery to me tonight is not who are we going to pick but rather how many ignore lists are you going to find yourself on :laugh:
haha , this draft will be just pure luck , we will see alot why didnt we pic him in first round when he went in the 4 th round , too many unknown , and who cares who we pick in the first round , in 4 years we will trade him for a second round pick lol isnt there anyone else that remember what Waddell did in Atlanta , guess Dundon didnt either lol Prediction!!! in 2 years we trade Aho b4 he is UFA and restart the rebuilding the team

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
wtf how can we trade a former 1st round proven defensemen for a second round in this year draft , this year draft is a crapshoot , many young players haven even played this season , i said it when they traded Ned to fire Waddell right away , Wadell is doing what he did best , like he did in Atlanta
Bean is still a lottery ticket. He's not a proven defenseman.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
This has to be one of our regulars with a 2nd account.
nah main account , well actually had an old account but forgot password and was from an email account i delete it , i ranted about the Staal trade (jordan) not because it was a bad trade but it was non necessary trade , we knew Jordan wanted to come anyways , so just wait a year , the year we had a shorten schedule even cause of NHL strike , we could have kept Sutter and Dumoulin and the first round pick , i think at that time we had the other Bad GM , JR , i feel our GM except Francis cause he hasn't been long enough to screw up big , JR and Wadell arent patient enough to make the right deal , what was so bad to sign Ned at 3 or 3.5 mill for only 2 years ( we had Reimer for more i think) and see what he does and trade him in a year or 2 , same thing with Bean

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
This has to be one of our regulars with a 2nd account.
nah main account , well actually had an old account but forgot password and was from an email account i delete it , i ranted about the Staal trade (jordan) not because it was a bad trade but it was non necessary trade , we knew Jordan wanted to come anyways , so just wait a year , the year we had a shorten schedule even cause of NHL strike , we could have kept Sutter and Dumoulin and the first round pick , i think at that time we had the other Bad GM , JR , i feel our GM except Francis cause he hasn't been long enough to screw up big , JR and Wadell arent patient enough to make the right deal , what was so bad to sign Ned at 3 or 3.5 mill for only 2 years ( we had Reimer for more i think) and see what he does and trade him in a year or 2 , same thing with Bean

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Columbus fan dropping by. Just want to know what a realistic upside and a best case for Bean is now that hes had a few years in Carolina's system? Havent really seen him since his Hitmen/Canada days

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
Columbus fan dropping by. Just want to know what a realistic upside and a best case for Bean is now that hes had a few years in Carolina's system? Havent really seen him since his Hitmen/Canada days
i think he will be stable in 2-3 yrs , will probably give you one season of 40 points and maybe more top 4 defensemen

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I think we can now say he’s not top pairing material, but top 4 and very good PP QB is still realistic.

He’s a bottom pairing PP QB right now. Could get away with him in the top 4 but you need a good defensive D to cover for him. Carolina used Pesce with him when he played second pairing and Hakanpaa when Bean played bottom pairing.

He will help the PP provided you have shooters for him to feed. He doesn’t have a great shot himself.

More than anything he needs NHL minutes to adapt and develop and couldn’t get them here. He should have been getting 3rd pair minutes this season in Carolina. He’s not a top 4 D yet.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

He's supposed to be an offensive dman, but he didn't look dangerous at all at the NHL level, and defensively, he wasn't very good.

What does the future hold? Could be anything. But first and foremost, he needs to make that non-ahl production translate to the NHL, or there's no reason for him to be in the NHL to begin with.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

I didn't read through the whole thread, but Civian low key dropping "wanted out" I have to wonder if some of their hardcore negotiating tactics are already getting players wanting out.

That along with the coaching staffs reluctance to trust young players, not a decision that I necessarily disagree with, we're going to see more young players asking to be moved. Would make you think they would shy away from NCAA commited players, yet we just drafted one with our first draft pick.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

The problem I noticed with Bean is that he didn't seem to have a way for beating a forecheck consistently. He didn't have the skating of Skjei or uninjured Gardiner, the passing ability of Hamilton, the strength of Pesce or the smarts + all of the above of Slavin.

That could easily change, Hanifin was also brutal at this in his stint here and has since hit his stride in Calgary. But Bean had a less than impressive stint in Carolina, so much so that there's a gaping hole in the top 4 right now, and the would rather have a 2nd round pick than give Bean a chance to fill it (admittedly on his off side).

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The problem I noticed with Bean is that he didn't seem to have a way for beating a forecheck consistently. He didn't have the skating of Skjei or uninjured Gardiner, the passing ability of Hamilton, the strength of Pesce or the smarts + all of the above of Slavin.

That could easily change, Hanifin was also brutal at this in his stint here and has since hit his stride in Calgary. But Bean had a less than impressive stint in Carolina, so much so that there's a gaping hole in the top 4 right now, and the would rather have a 2nd round pick than give Bean a chance to fill it (admittedly on his off side).

This.

If the dude is in his own zone and doesn’t have the puck then he’s not getting it. He got manhandled in board play and puck retrieval and a lot of times when he did somehow get the puck he wasn’t able to pass it or get it out of the zone.

I really like some of the offensive instincts we saw out of him but overall he seems like a very timid player that second guesses too much rather than just knowing what to do.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he has an absurdly bad +/- on the BJ’s next year

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Canes fans are certainly jaded with developing defensemen. We had Pesce and Slavin not long ago both play as rookies and were incredible from game 1. They just never looked bad. A couple years before that, Faulk stepped in and almost immediately was our #1D. He probably could have used another season of development, but it was clear he was good and we needed him right then.

Jake Bean looked frankly terrible on many nights. He often was the culprit for a goal against. He looked PHENOMENAL offensively for a 2 or 3 game stretch this year (after being scratched), but otherwise contributed little offense. If he had strong offensive skills, the warts would be more forgivable.

I thought in the playoffs he made some improvements defensively, but he was still a liability. We called up Max LaJoie and I thought he played better defensively, and I think that cemented Jake Bean's status as tradeable. It's certainly possible he develops and gets better. I can't think of too many Canes defensemen over the years who were pretty bad defensively but slowly became better. Perhaps Hanifin did as someone else mentioned, but I don't watch other teams.

I do find it odd he wanted out and wanted top 4 minutes. He was a real foot soldier for us in development, so it seemed. He flat out doesn't deserve top 4 minutes at all. He was our most sheltered defenseman, and was still our worst defensively. Maybe in 3 years he will be a good top 4, but he certainly hasn't earned it yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad