Be the GM and make this draft your own.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Here's your chance. If you are GMRF what does your draft look like? What is your strategy? I'm going to go through 7 rounds, but you don't have to. Include any proposed trades or other moves that you'd make at the draft. I'm not including broader free agency here and hope to discuss that in a later thread.

My overall strategy would be three-fold. 1) I"m not giving up on 2015-16 and I want to be competitive to the extent that we can make the playoffs, period....not just be a bubble team, 2) Significantly shore up our lack of forward depth, 3) Continue to strengthen our overall defense.

So that being said here goes:

Round 1 (assuming 5th pick overall and 18th pick - from LA)

Pick #5
Dylan Strome - do I have to even state a reason? He's got size, vision, a shot, and is a solid skater. He's either our 1st or 2nd line center of the future....and the future is likely now given what we know about this franchise, although I would not necessarily press him into service...it would potentially be worthwhile seeing what he can do in Jr's without McDavid at his side.

Other options: (in no particular order)
- Lawson Crouse - size, speed, and hands; will only get better
- Mikko Rantanen - true RW power forward, likely ready or close to ready now
- Zachary Werenski, Ivan Provorov - but really don't want to use this pick on D, but...
- longer shots: Pavel Zacha, Timo Meier, Matthew Barzol

Pick #18 (any of Rantanen, Crouse, Meier if they're there)
Paul Bittner - big and fast with big shot; ton of upside. Poor man's Lawson Crouse. This is a chance to get a real power forward that projects to be Top 6 capable. If Lindy ends up being our #2 center in the long run, this guy's at his side for years to come. Laugh if you want but a line of Skinner/Lindholm/Bittner would be a match-up nightmare.

Other Options: (I was torn with the Bittner pick so I'd be fairly happy with any of these guys)
- Brock Boeser - great shot, quick release, superb passer, and capable RW where franchise is weak
- Daniel Sprong - skill, skill, skill, one of the guys that I hope somehow we end up with
- Hintz Roope - fast riser, good skater, very smart and skilled
- longer shots: Jansen Harkins, Joel Eriksson Ek

Round 2

Pick #35
Nicolas Meloche - maybe a pick or 3 early for Meloche, but continuing the Canes propensity to take NHL size, 2 way defenders. And maintain the theme of smooth skating blueliner, but one who isn't afraid of contact. Thinks the game very well.

Other Options: (really want to go Defense if possible with this pick, but, you know, BPA too)
- Matt Spencer - 2-way defender with proverbial "compete level", except with skills too
- Thomas Novak - winger who may be BPA when this pick comes; just a pure scorer
- Ryan Pilon - another silky skater with strong offensive upside, but doesn't sacrifice defensive responsibility
- longer shots: Noah Juulsen, Jacob Larsson, Rasmus Andersson

Round 3

Trade Ryan Murphy and Pick #96 (our original 4th rounder) for Pick #64 and Jordan Binnington
- Blues get a defensive prospect with boom or bust potential and a very high 4th round pick in this year's deep draft. Canes get another 3rd round pick and a very solid goalie prospect in Binnington; face it Murphy, while not a bust, isn't going to be developed by the team we've got down in Charlotte; time to cut our losses

Pick #64 (assuming our guy is there)
Dennis Yan - another very good RW prospect that is really the complete package (the guy I'm trading for)
or
Adam Musil - big, tough, possession monster centerman

Pick #66
Trade this pick, 2nd round pick in 2016, and Trevor Carrick to FL for Erik Gudbranson
- Canes get an NHL ready Top 4 defenseman and Florida gets a defensive prospect with a lot of upside and two picks to replenish their blueline cupboard (don't know if FL would do this, but hey, it's my fantasy, let me roll with it)

Round 4

Pick #94
Toss-up:
Nathan Noel - center with good puck skills and vision; always working
Ken Appleby - huge diamond in the rough goalie; overager for the Hitmen, gives us goalie depth for years
Other Options:
- Keegan Kolesar - grit, hard-working, size - beginning to flash offense
- John Marino - NHL size defenseman, some offensive upside, going to Yale next year
- Yegor Rykov - NHL size defenseman, a bit more offensive upside

Round 5

Pick #126
Erik Cernak - Big, strong, huge reach; crease clearing defender
or
Aleksi Saarela - smallish, highly skilled scoring Finn winger; what's not to love

Round 6

Pick #156
Fredrik Forsberg - Filip Forsberg's younger brother; many of the same characteristics in a smaller package
or
Chris Wilkie - very fast, excellent skater who can dance his way to scoring chances; going to UND next year

Pick #160
Hayden McCool (yes, you read that right) - why? Because of the name....actually he's a tailor made power forward who loves to crash the net; still youngish enough to continue to develop over the next 3 or 4 years
or
Bradley LaLonde - plucky "box" of a defender with some offense

Pick #168
Mark Simpson - another big bodied winger (6'5"/190)

Round 7

Pick #186
Tyler MacArthur - and another big defensive, defenseman with a right shot

So my day ends up with a number of high skill and size forwards, one or two very good defensive prospecs, a restocked goalie pool, and most importantly, an NHL Top 4 defenseman. My assumption is that Strome would likely not play in 2015-16 for the Canes, but never say never. We fill one of the most obvious holes in our lineup while restocking the cupboard with a load of size and talent. This also gives us chips in the big game to get an NHL forward (2nd liner w/size and scoring capabilities....or at least the latter).

Let me hear what you think, or more importantly, what you'd do instead.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'll be posting my annual mock here in a few days once everything's been decided for the regular season. But that said, here's what I expect based off current standings.

Buffalo: McDavid, Arizona: Eichel, Edmonton: Hanifin, Toronto: Marner
#5 - C Dylan Strome
I think Marner's the guy we WANT if we don't win the lottery, but he's not the guy we'll get. I could see him in Edmonton cause Oilers gonna Oiler, or more likely see him in Toronto. I give about a 30% chance that Marner's still on the board at #5. There's a chance that Toronto could take Strome, but if they project Nylander as a center going forward I'd say it's almost a sure thing they take Marner.

Strome's a good get though. Big, strong, good two-way guy with a strong offensive game as well. Hardly a disappointment ending up with him. Won't be ready next year though IMHO.

Columbus: Proporov, Philly: Crouse, New Jersey: Barzal, Dallas: Werenski, Florida: Rantanen, San Jose: Meier, Ottawa: Konecny, Boston: Connor

#15 - LW/C Pavel Zacha
Slide stops with us for Zacha I think. His hype level heading in to the season was off the charts, but his production has left a lot to be desired. Not going to get too much playoff time to re-assert himself either as they're slated to play the Erie McDavids.
There's a couple teams before I could see going for the hyped power forward though (Boston, San Jose).

I will say if we're going to go defense this would be the place in the draft to do it.

possible alternatives: D Kylington, RW White, RW Merkley, D Carlo, D Zboril

#35 - RW Jeremy Bracco
Undersized but highly skilled, in fact one of the most productive players ever to come through the USNTDP.
possible alternatives: LW Svechnikov, C Roy, LW Ahl, D Larsson

#65 - D Parker Wotherspoon
Not the biggest guy but a very strong skater (which seems to be something Canes management is emphasizing with the D right now) and could be a steal here if he's still on the board.
possible alternatives: D Aho, RW Aho, C Musil, RW Yan

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I think as long as we stay top 5 then we're taking whichever of Strome/Marner/Hanifin is left. Probably will be Strome, but we're good no matter what. If we drop to number 6 though, things get interesting. I think I may be in the minority here but I want us to go for defense. I think our prospect core there is deeper than other positions, but I'd want one more top end guy. I don't have a problem with Feury-Faulk as a top pair, but I think if Fleury is leading off our second pair like a Marc Staal in NY, then we've got an amazing D for the first time ever. Something going forward like:

Werenski/Provorov - Faulk
Fleury - Murphy/McKeown

as a top 4 excites me, then fill out with Jordan/Pesce/Carrick/Biega/free agent signing, etc.

As for LA's pick, I'd like the right hand shooting version of Bittner or Zacha, but I'm not sure that exists so I'm fine with either of those. If GMRF is concerned about handedness and depending on where exactly the pick ends up, then Sprong or Boeser could be good options.

With the second round, it depends. If we get Strome, then I'd want a D here. Meloche or Pilon would be the choice, and I think I'd go Pilon. He's ranked lower, but honestly I'm not sure why from the - very limited - info I have.
If we get a Dman early though, then a guy like Gabriel Gagne seems like he would fit Peters system. Doesn't have the greatest offensive number right now, but could compliment Skinner and Lindholm quite well.
I wouldn't be completely against MacKenzie Blackwood here either, having him and Needaspellcheck gives us some flexibility in net.

After that, I'm not qualified to make an assessment.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
#5 - Lawson Crouse LW (6'4", 212 lbs)
#18 - Paul Bittner LW (6'4", 195 lbs)
#35 - Jordan Greenway LW (6'5", 223 lbs)

Average Height: 6'4"
Average Weight: 210 lbs

Size, grit, compete factor.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I see the Canes winning the lottery and taking McDavid, but assuming we were picking at 5, 15, and 35:

Arizona: McDavid, Buffalo: Eichel, Edmonton: Marner, Toronto: Strome

#5 - Noah Hanifin (6'3" 185 lbs) - Defenseman - Boston College
I think Hanifin slips as Edmonton shocks the NHL by taking Marner for the lolz. Toronto takes its future 1C in Strome leaving Hanifin to the Canes. Hopefully Hanifin can continue to develop into a #1D and create a dominant Hanifin-Faulk pairing for years to come.

Columbus: Rantanen, Philly: Crouse, New Jersey: Barzal, Dallas: Werenski, Florida: Provorov, San Jose: Connor, Ottawa: Konecny, Boston: Zacha

#15 - Oliver Kylington (6', 180 lbs) - Defenseman - SWE

So many good options at this pick. Meier, Merkley, Svechnikov, Bittner, and Zboril would all make great picks but GMRF decides to swing for the fences with Kylington. The Canes love his elite skating ability and are not scared away by a down year in which Kylington was shuffled through different teams in Sweden. Kylington was considered a surefire top-5 pick not a year ago. The tools are there to reach Karlsson levels of production in the NHL.

#35 - Jack Roslovic (6'1, 182 lbs) - Center / Right Wing - NTDP

Hope to fall: Svechnikov, Boeser, Harkins, Erikkson Ek, Meloche

The Canes look for another steal in the 2nd round from the USNTDP and get one in Roslovic who has been shooting up draft boards.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
#5: Strome - Losing out on McDaivd, but Strom takes our 2C
#18: Kylington - Great D prospect to add to the pool
#35: Blackwood - 6'4 Goalie, not seeing much promise from our others.
#65: Jakob Karlsson - Swede pick that might as well be a 2nd rounder.
#95: Jens Lööke - An extra Swede pick
#111: Colin White - Loading up the D
#125: Anthony Greer - big LW from Boston

Taking a nap rest of draft.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Needaspellcheck is doing fine considering what a mess Plymouth is this year. In fact he's been damn good the back half of the season.

Wouldn't mind taking Blackwood anyway though, you can never have too much goaltending in your system.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yeah Ned has been better than his stats show. Personally I think it's impressive his stats are what they are considering the team he played on. The Whalers were incredibly bad. I definitely wouldn't want to use another high second on a goalie though.

Also, there's probably no chance Jens Looke lasts until the fourth round. Or third round. I'd expect him to go early/mid second. Either way, I certainly wouldn't be upset if we ended up with him somehow.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Needaspellcheck is doing fine considering what a mess Plymouth is this year. In fact he's been damn good the back half of the season.

Wouldn't mind taking Blackwood anyway though, you can never have too much goaltending in your system.

I figure Blackwood will be gone by our pick in the second to Edmonton or Buffalo. But I could hope he's there.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
We should draft Hanifin and Kylington like LSPW suggests, so that way our defensive depth will be set for the next 15 years!

Faulk, Hanifin, Fleury, Kylington, Murphy, Pesce/McKeown would be a deadly top 6.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
#1 - Connor McDavid

This is a no-brainer pick, and we will win the lottery, so we will take him.

#15 - Jack Eichel

Eichel inexplicably falls to us and we stop him from falling too far.

#35 - Traded to Pittsburgh for Letang and a 4th, JR selects Matthew Forslund

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
#5 - Lawson Crouse LW (6'4", 212 lbs)
#18 - Paul Bittner LW (6'4", 195 lbs)
#35 - Jordan Greenway LW (6'5", 223 lbs)

Average Height: 6'4"
Average Weight: 210 lbs

Size, grit, compete factor.

If we get Greenway at 35 I'll be so freaking happy. And I really am liking the idea of Bittner with LA's potential pick. I would be pissed if we take Crouse at #5, I want someone more skilled.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If we get Greenway at 35 I'll be so freaking happy. And I really am liking the idea of Bittner with LA's potential pick. I would be pissed if we take Crouse at #5, I want someone more skilled.

I used to be pretty high on Greenway but have read some things about effort issues with him.

S1C2 - you and I will have to agree to disagree. I go Strome everyday over Marner, but it is very close....still I'll take his size and scoring capability.

Now that the Canes picked up what looks to be a solid goalie prospect in Tirronen, I'll have to rethink my move to get StL's 3rd round pick because picking up Binnington was a critical piece of that deal for me. I'm thinking, however, that he's NHL back up ready and I'd rework the trade for Gudbranson to be more realistic. Maybe something like:

To FL:

Anton Khudobin
Trevor Carrick
2016 2nd

To Canes:

Erik Gudbranson

We ride Cam out through 2016, perhaps resign him if he remains his consistently inconsistent self, but for lower $$$.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd rework the trade for Gudbranson to be more realistic. Maybe something like:

To FL:

Anton Khudobin
Trevor Carrick
2016 2nd

To Canes:

Erik Gudbranson

I don't think this is very realistic and I don't see the motivation for FLA to make a trade like that. First, They have Luongo under contract until I think 2019. Khudobin, who is only signed for 1 more year, would be simply a 1 year back-up in FLA. Khudobin has little to no value to Florida IMO, certainly not a lot given he is only under contract 1 year. Secondly, the chances of a 2016 2nd and Carrick even making the NHL is by no means a sure thing and I don't see that being enough to entice FLA.

I admit I haven't seen much of Gudbranson this season, but seems like a bad trade for FLA.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Despite all the love for the "unknown" of draft picks here on HF, I'd likely even trade our 2016 1st and a prospect (Carrick, Lowe?) for Gudbranson. He's going to be very solid and is Top 4 material. Plus he's ready now. Maybe FL doesn't do it as they probably think they are only a player or two away. Still assuming they do the trade, my original efforts would change to look like this:

Round 3

I still do the Murphy and #96 pick trade for #64 and Binnington (targeting Yan, Musil, or maybe the guy below)

Pick #66
Ryan Gropp - big kid, smooth skater although not overly physical (not afraid of the corners or dirty areas though) and a laser-like shot
Other Options:
- Giorgio Estephan - slippery, scoring center w/a right shot; getting better defensively
- Christian Fischer - likely gone by this time, but Notre Dame commit, gritty, American, power forward w/solid scoring prowess
- Nikita Korostelev - slick, stick-handler, puck possession guy w/a great shot. Good defender, not afraid of contact....sorta like a Semin w/heart

Round 4

Pick #94
I still go with Noel but probably don't think about Appleby anymore with the signing of Tirronen. I do, however consider:

Alexander Dergachyov - prototypical power forward with a lot of sandpaper to his game, but doesn't sacrifice skill; good shot with some playmaking chops.

All the rest stays the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad