Be a Pro Mode

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
How do you guys not get sent back to Juniors after your first year being drafted? No matter how great i play they always send me down to my junior team? I play in the OHL from 15 years old and am getting 100% in all 3 categories....what is going on??

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
How do you guys not get sent back to Juniors after your first year being drafted? No matter how great i play they always send me down to my junior team? I play in the OHL from 15 years old and am getting 100% in all 3 categories....what is going on??

What level are you playing on (i.e. Pro, All-star)? And, what are you overall? Anything below 75 has a better chance getting sent back, as does an overload at the position you are for your Pro team. Thirdly, if you have a crappy preseason, and by that I mean, do not produce points... there's another reason you may have been sent back.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
What level are you playing on (i.e. Pro, All-star)? And, what are you overall? Anything below 75 has a better chance getting sent back, as does an overload at the position you are for your Pro team. Thirdly, if you have a crappy preseason, and by that I mean, do not produce points... there's another reason you may have been sent back.
I'm a 86 overall. I get 2 ppg. The play me on the second line then just for whatever reason they send me down i get A+ in all 3 categories. Same bug from NHL 15??

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I had to change the difficulty back to allstar. Superstar is too difficult on be a pro. I almost always lose and the opponent scores while I'm on the bench.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm a 86 overall. I get 2 ppg. The play me on the second line then just for whatever reason they send me down i get A+ in all 3 categories. Same bug from NHL 15??

Sounds like it. I haven't experienced that yet. 86 overall should be enough to make team esp. since you were on the 2nd line. Definitely sounds like something buggy. Maybe, it's something CAP/money related... I''m grabbing at straws or simply... EA sucks.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I always play in the OHL to get the " special player exemption" and add another year to get my xp even higher before the draft. The other be a pro I had 210 points my draft year,got picked #1 by Detroit led preseason in goals ( 10) points (16) and faceoff %. There is no way i should be sent down for " more seasoning with the Erie Otters". Its maddening

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I always play in the OHL to get the " special player exemption" and add another year to get my xp even higher before the draft. The other be a pro I had 210 points my draft year,got picked #1 by Detroit led preseason in goals ( 10) points (16) and faceoff %. There is no way i should be sent down for " more seasoning with the Erie Otters". Its maddening

I know what you mean. EA has taken what is potentially the best mode and F'ed it up. I used to like doing the same thing: OHL (London Knights) exceptional status, Center, Playmaker, but found that by the time I was in my draft year, the game wouldn't have enough players on the roster and sh*t kept getting F'ed up. I finally learned my lesson. Now I usually play the same way except start out as a 17 year old in my draft year (i.e. Feb b-day, so I turn 18 during the season).

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
This game mode is in such disarray.

I've never witnessed something so unfulfilling and unjust in a video game. Ever. My Pro has been hopping from team to team every 2-3 years or so because the GM :

1) Let's everyone (the stars mainly) walk in free agency.
2) Refuses to sign/trade for anyone younger than 31.
3) Signs bottom pairing Ds and grinders to $5 mil deals.

How is it possible that I join a team that have been perennial contenders, go on to have a 120 pts juggernaut season and only two years later, we're in the bottom 5 of the league. And this happens with every. single. team. Let's not even talk about the AI's complete ineptitude in every facet of the game. They don't shoot, they don't check, they don't stick check, don't poke, don't win faceoffs, hell, can barely make a breakout pass. Nothing. They just skate around aimlessly waiting to pass you the puck at the exact moment you're surrounded by 3 guys from all sides. Impeccable programming.

This game is pathetic.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
How do you not get picked #1 overall out of the Memorial Cup? I even tried to sim straight through and still got picked #1. I just really don't want to play for Buffalo.

I couldn't figure it out so I did a year in the OHL and went 11th overall. To who? The Buffalo f***ing Sabres. I swear this game hates me.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
They have some decent building blocks with the skill tree type thing. It should be improved upon, otherwise that dev team deserves even more bashing than it already gets.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Just went through 11 seasons as a RHD playing for Carolina after getting drafted in the 2nd round in 2019. The first few seasons I played almost all games but then started playing just the 3rds and simming games here and there. The amount of simmed games increased significantly when I reached 99 overall.
Some thoughts / highlights:
  • We signed McDavid after his 8 years in Edmonton. It was fun couple of years with McDavid as 1st line center and Aho as 2nd line center. Me, McDavid and Aho made a lethal trio on 3 on 3 overtime.
  • I never won the cup. For some reason I could not beat the computer in the playoffs. I think I could've won if I played every playoff game and not just 3rd periods and would have went for the cheese wrister in every given opportunity but I didn't. So yeah, the computer beat me.
  • In 10 seasons with Carolina I never saw our 1st round pick play a game in the NHL or the AHL. We only traded our pick once so I guess we did draft some players but they never panned out. In fact, I never saw a home grown player crack the NHL lineup after 2021.
  • Our wingers situation was horrible almost my whole career. The first few seasons we had Svechnikov but after our GM let him walk, our top line RW was Tom Wilson(84 ovr) and LW duties were shared by a old Nyquist, old Tatar, old Kessel plus some nobodies I don't even remember anymore.
  • The simming penalty is BAD for defenseman (even though the simming penalty was off). As a forward, especially a highly rated forward, I can sim whole seasons and there is little chance of being waivered or even dropped as low as to 4th line. As a 99 overall captain of the president trophy winning team, scoring at ppg pace as a defenseman I could not go 10 games without being dropped to 2nd pair, then 3rd and if I would have kept going, the waiver wire. I don't really mind having to play games to gain experience and developing my player that way, but I think it's ridiculous that I was constantly being punished for simming even though my guy was simming great and the team was winning.
  • EA has improved the goalie situation in career modes it seems. There were at least 3 franchise goalies, plenty elite and 80+ starter goalies in 2030. I don't think any team had a starting goalie below 83 overall which is, compared to previous NHL games, a huge improvement.
  • I saw a lot of dynamic duos and great lines in other teams too. Montreal drafted a sniper RW, Rycroft, in 2020 who had at least five 50 goal seasons. He and Kotkaniemi ate us alive at least three times in the playoffs. I think Kotkaniemi had a couple 60+ assist seasons while playing with Rycroft.
I think it's still a fun mode if you look past the obvious flaws. Still, after 10 years it kinda gets stale when you've already been 99 overall for multiple seasons and there's not much for you to achieve except to win the cup (which, admittedly, I never did lol). I think I'm done with my defenseman and probably gonna start a new career as a forward.

Reactions: MikeyDee and Serac

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Fantastic write up.

Be a pro is on life support. It's one minor thing, but it absolutely always bugged me how I couldn't follow the draft at all. Can't even see what player my team drafts. And contract negotiation seems like a huge thing to they need to add into the game.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Live the Life was such a good starting point when Rammer took over, and instead of continuing to build on it, he threw it in the garbage and reverted back to this generic mode where you just play game after game with nothing happening.

But hey, you can request a trade! The skill tree is interesting, but needs work.

It's just crazy to me that every sports game makes their Career/MyPlayer mode a priority, and the NHL series ignores it completely other than one addition a year so they can say they touched it.

jcarbone

Mar 8, 2010
NHL 19 BAP must be bugged.
I started my career as a LW for the Barrie Colts played the first 30 games and averaged nearly 2.0 points per game. I decided to simulate the remainder of the season and the draft 3 times as an experiment. I reloaded the save from the 30 game mark twice.

1st sim:
Finished the season with 108 points in 68 games
Drafted 13th overall by Philadelphia
Scored over a point per game in the preseason
Coach said it was "fairly good" I make the NHL after the preseason
Was sent back to the OHL

2nd sim:
Finished the season with 115 points in 68 games
Drafted 8th overall by Vancouver
Coach said my chance of sticking in the NHL was "guaranteed" after 3 games.
Was sent back to the OHL

3rd sim:
Finished the season with 87 points in 68 games
Drafted 68th overall by Detroit
Simulated the entire preseason no idea what my shitty stats were
Coach said it was "highly unlikely" I stay with the Red Wings to start the season.
Ended up staying with Detroit after simulating all the preseason games.

My guy is only 69 overall and completely sucks vs NHL talent.
I found it interesting how as a 1st round pick with great stats I couldn't make it after the pre-season, yet, as a 3rd round pick I somehow manage to make it to the show immediately?

Looks like I'm playing out my career has a 3rd line winger for the Red Wings now.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
NHL 19 BAP must be bugged.
I started my career as a LW for the Barrie Colts played the first 30 games and averaged nearly 2.0 points per game. I decided to simulate the remainder of the season and the draft 3 times as an experiment. I reloaded the save from the 30 game mark twice.

1st sim:
Finished the season with 108 points in 68 games
Drafted 13th overall by Philadelphia
Coach said it was "fairly good" I make the NHL after the preseason
Was sent back to the OHL

2nd sim:
Finished the season with 115 points in 68 games
Drafted 8th overall by Vancouver
Coach said my chance of sticking in the NHL was "guaranteed" after 3 games.
Was sent back to the OHL

3rd sim:
Finished the season with 87 points in 68 games
Drafted 68th overall by Detroit
Simulated the entire preseason no idea what my ****ty stats were
Coach said it was "highly unlikely" I stay with the Red Wings to start the season.
Ended up staying with Detroit after simulating all the preseason games.

My guy is only 69 overall and completely sucks vs NHL talent.
I found it interesting how as a 1st round pick with great stats I couldn't make it after the pre-season, yet, as a 3rd round pick I somehow manage to make it to the show immediately?

Looks like I'm playing out my career has a 3rd line winger for the Red Wings now.

Keyword: SIMULATE

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Was bored this week so I loaded up NHL 17 and created an Enforcer just for the hell of it. The amount of game misconducts and ejections I recieved was unreal lmao.

The new NHL. You'd have to load EA NHL '88 for you to still be playing by the end of the 3rd period. Oh, wait, no such game existed then.... or, was there?....

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-25_14-25-24.png
    upload_2019-7-25_14-25-24.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 14

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Reminder to myself: never play as a winger

My main issues (ordered by my annoyance)
  1. My coach(=EA) can rarely put centers in their position. Usually 2nd line center is played by a player that would usually play 2nd line wing. I was with Rangers and Zibanejad was obviously 1st line C but 2nd line C was played by some 82OVR wingers with 60 faceoff rating. They had 83 overall 20yo TOP6 center prospect scratched because of that. I've had 86OVR centers play 3rd line when 2nd line center position is played by low 80s winger with horrible faceoff rating. This has been an issue as long as I've played BAP. This "bug" happens when a team doesn't have two elite centers. With teams like Oilers and Penguins this doesn't happen because they've got two elite centers.
  2. EA has smartly made their power play lineup logic so that wingers play their off-wing on power play. I assume their test suite didn't cover this game mode. I'm ok not having my player on my off-wing even though that would be cool. My problem is that if I'm LW, then the top RW doesn't get any power play time. With my most current career Rangers had 87OVR 20yo RW sniper not playing PP at all because I was at this PP position, LW. The guy would have easily cracked 70+ points but with no PP time, he would only score 50~ points in a season which also hurt our team as he was our best winger by far.
  3. Play defense as a winger is not fun. At all.
Probably gonna start over and play as a center since that isn't broken. Every year I make this mistake thinking they must have fixed these problems. I've been disappointed every year.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I've been having a fair amount of fun playing as a BaP goalie. I started off on the Barrie Colts, got drafted 8th overall with the Rangers and after a pretty good preseason, I'm backing up Lundqvist. I'm playing all-star with all sliders at default except that I turned shot speed down a fair amount. It still gives me plenty of tough saves to make due to passes, but I can actually get over on cross creases most of the time. I'm sitting at 7-2-1 with a .921 and a 2.47 gaa currently. I get about 30-40 shots on me per game, which is really nice. I really feel like I control my teams fate most of the time, and sometimes I get those games where no matter what, my team can't score. I don't mind that at all either, as it's more realistic. I'm not buying NHL20, so I'll have plenty of time to keep going on this career. Hoping to take over for Hank soon!

Reactions: VLU5 and Serac

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Got something like 175 points in the regular season as a two way defenseman, getting A's in both defense and teamplay most games as well. 55 goals in the playoffs, 17 goals in the memorial cup. Finished with 90 overall, got drafted 9th lol. Haven't played the preseason yet but the coach says I'm a lock. Hope so lol

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
How do you not get picked #1 overall out of the Memorial Cup? I even tried to sim straight through and still got picked #1. I just really don't want to play for Buffalo.

I couldn't figure it out so I did a year in the OHL and went 11th overall. To who? The Buffalo ****ing Sabres. I swear this game hates me.
Demand a trade after a couple of games?

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Demand a trade after a couple of games?
I tried that. I think my overall was too low. Anyway, I haven't played the game since around the time I made the post. This mode is just the same senseless shit as always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad