BE A GM Thread - Part III (NHL 18/NHL 17/whatever)

suprafastcelica

Oct 30, 2006
I'm convinced this game rigs the lottery so you never win it or get screwed by it.

I saved my file at the deadline as NJ. I'm DEAD LAST in the league. I sim to June, I ALWAYS FINISH LAST and still get stuck with the 4th pick. HOWEVER, EVERYONE ELSE CHANGES EVERY TIME.

I had PITTSBURGH WIN IT after they literally just missed the playoffs once. (Crosby / Malkin were both hurt most of the season).

This is a joke. CPU always outright refuses to move #1. I offered 4th overall and Schneider to Arizona for #1 and they said no. Okay then.

I made a 32nd team and to my surprise I won the first draft lottery.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
:sabres

Season 6 (2019-2020)

Summer

Draft

RoundPickPlayerAgePosition
11Calvin Salcido18LW
127Toby Bala19C
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Toronto had the 12th best chance to win the lottery, and they did. And I had their pick. :naughty:

Re-signings

PlayerPositionOverallAgeTermAAV
T. EnnisRW86291 year5M$
J. McCabeD84258 years5.5$
R. O'ReillyC85281 year4.6$
J. ReimerG85314 years2.4$
C. HodgsonRW84291 year3.1$
A. MeszarosD81332 years1.4$
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Maybe I should give a little bit lower AAV to McCabe. ROR signed for another year.
M. Weber and C. Johnson also signed and will play in AHL.
Cornel, Bratina, Dermott, Martin and Catenacci signed to 2 way deals.
Salcido and Bala signed to ELC.

Free Agency

Player
Position
Overall
AAV
L. Komarov​
C​
82​
32​
1 year​
2.5$​
C. Clutterbuck​
RW​
82​
31​
1 year​
2.8$​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Will be #13F and #14F

:ducks
4th round pick in 2020 (ANA)A. Meszaros (81)
5th round pick in 2020 (ANA)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Meszaros was signed but then trade, because Jarratt and Kylington, both will play in the NHL this year.

+ Another trade

4th round pick + 5th round pick to Buffalo
2x 5th round picks + 6th round pick + 7th round pick to Winnipeg

Lineup on the opening night

LW
C
RW
E. Kane (C) (89)C. McDavid (91)M. Barzal (90)
M. Foligno (88)S. Reinhart (90)T. Ennis (86)
M. Grigorenko (83)Z. Girgensons (85)R. O'Reilly (85)
J. Larsson (84)E. Cornel (79)C. Hodgson (84)
L. Komarov (82)C. Clutterbuck (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
D
D
N. Zadorov (85)R. Ristolainen (A) (85)
J. McCabe (84)Z. Bogosian (A) (85)
R. Jarratt (81)O. Kylington (81)
M. Pysyk (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
J. Reimer (85)
M. Hackett (83)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Players to watch in AHL

Forwards

W. Carrier 78
N. Baptiste 78
Z. Bratina 78
A. Musil 77
J. Ang 76
T. Raddysh 76
Z. Franklin 71
C. Salcido 68 (CHL)
T. Bala 67 (CHL)

Defensmen

M. Spencer 78
T. Dermott 77
B. Martin 77
S. Day 76
I. Provorov 74

Goalies

S. Fehr 75

Season recap

I put McDavid and Barzal on the 1st line, in their contract year. :(

I had to decide with whom I'll compete for the 4th straight Calder Trophy. 2 rookies, both on the 3rd pair. But after 10 games, Kylington is injured and will be out for more than 2 months. It was difficult, but he won it. He also participate to the ASG in his rookie year and the most important, he won the Norris Trophy as a rookie. :eek:
He had 63 points (17 goals) in 81 GP.

McCabe injured at the end of the year, will miss the playoffs.

Rochester Americans, eliminated in 7G in the 1st round by Utica Comets, they will win the championship.

Trade Deadline

Some picks trade.

3rd round pick to Buffalo
3rd round pick + 2x 4th round picks + 5th round pick to Calgary

2nd round pick to Buffalo
2nd round pick + 3rd round pick to Montreal

1st round pick (CBJ) to Buffalo
1st round pick (BUF) + 2nd round pick (MTL) to Columbus

End of the Regular Season

45-30-7 (97 points)
3rd in the division
4th in the conference
7th in the league

Edmonton Oilers wins the President's Trophy. Again.

C. McDavid : 73 points (29 G + 44 A) in 82 GP (one more point than last year, again) 71-72-73 the last 3 years.
E. Kane : 69 points (29 G + 40 A) in 82 GP
M. Barzal : 68 points (25 G + 43 A) in 82 GP
S. Reinhart : 67 points (16 G + 51 A) in 82 GP
R. Jarratt : 63 points (17 G + 46 A) in 81 GP
R. Ristolainen : 27 points
O. Kylington : 17 points (54 GP)

J. Reimer : 66 GP - 32 W - 26 L - 5 OT - 5 SO - 2.92 GAA - 90,30 SV%
M. Hackett : 21 GP - 13 W - 6 L - 0 OT - 0 SO - 3.14 GAA - 82,65 SV%
C. Johnson : 1 GP - 1 W - 0 L - 0 OT - 0 SO - 2.00 GAA - 92,86 SV%

J. Drouin (TBL) 100 points
Z. Parise (MIN) 50 goals
J. Bernier (TOR) 36 wins => Vezina

R. Jarratt (BUF) => Norris + Calder
S. Crosby (PIT) Hart + Ted

PLAYOFFS

1st round : :leafs VS :sabres

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Sabres​
Maple Leafs
1:4​
2​
Sabres
Maple Leafs​
4:3​
3​
Maple Leafs​
Sabres
2:7​
4​
Maple Leafs
Sabres​
3:2 (OT)​
5​
Sabres
Maple Leafs​
2:1 (OT)​
6​
Maple Leafs
Sabres​
3:1​
7​
Sabres​
Maple Leafs
1:2 (OT)​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
B. Leipsic scores the series winner against my 4th line and my 6th and 7th D.

Reinhart 7 points
McDavid, Barzal and Ennis 6 points

San Jose Sharks will sweep New York Islanders in the SCF. Mancina (goalie) the Conn Smythe winner

Trophies

Ralph Jarratt -> James Norris Memorial Trophy + Calder Trophy

+ I sign a 5 year extension with the Sabres, after that season.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Anyone else notice the absurd abundance of talented un-drafted 19-21yr old prospects in free agency? It's not right away and I think it was around 2021-2022 that I started signing these guys. I literally sign one of these guys and he challenges for the Calder. Done it like 3 years in a row now. I'm going to have to make a rule for myself before it ruins my GM. I wasn't paying much attention to it and now I've got 3 of these dudes in my top 6... Also they never reject your offer if it's max ELC or at least it hasn't happened to me. The one good thing is the CPU does recognize they are worthy and will sign them. It just seems to be a yearly thing now and I don't like that.

I'm guilty of signing those guys... Although, I believe I've been rejected a couple times due to having too many players on my team or "not being a good fit for the player". But, I know I've signed a really talented goalie only to trade him at the start of the next season due to their insanely high trade value and being set up at the goalie position for the next 5-6 years. I'm also guilty of signing the elite players (88-90 overall) in my free agency period just to trade for another elite player of a different position that I need more.

Plus, I have it on "easy" trading mode.

Yea, it's cheating the computer and makes it easy... But, it's also fun to have these young elite players and having a ton of draft picks as well.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
New York Rangers GM Mode
2017-18 Season: Intro
D3x0B5H.png
BREAKING NEWS: New York Rangers GM Jeff Gorton announced he would be stepping down as the general manager of the team today after just one season on the job. Gorton cited personal reasons as to why he was stepping down.
Gorton took over from long-time GM Glen Sather some time around the 2015 NHL Draft. He was responsible for big trades such as the one that saw New York add Eric Staal at the 2015 deadline, a mid-summer trade in which the Rangers sent Derick Brassard to Ottawa for Mika Zibanejad, another trade deadline deal with the Red Wings that brought Brendan Smith to Broadway, and a draft day shocker that moved Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta to Arizona for the 7th overall pick and Anthony DeAngelo.
Rangers' owner James Dolan hired someone who has been climbing the ladder in the Rangers organization. Chris Drury (who played for New York from 2007 to 2011) was named Director of Player Development in 2015. In 2016 (after Gorton took over the Head GM job), Drury was named Assistant General Manager, and was set to be named the GM of the Hartford Wolfpack (the Rangers' AHL team) this season, but will now serve as the Rangers Head GM.
"Chris is a guy who knows New York. He knows management. I have full confidence in him to take this team to great places", said Dolan.
Drury is set to hold a press conference shortly, so we will bring that to you live when it begins. For now, let's go live to our Rangers Insider, Larry Brooks...
Anchor: So Larry, you've been covering this team for a while. Management changes don't often happen in New York as James Dolan kinda stays out of the hockey side, unlike how involved he is with the Knicks. Is that a good thing?
Brooks: Well, I think it's both good and bad. In some ways it's good because...look, there's a reason you hire a General Manager. They're there to, well, manage the team. It's in the name. These owners may think they know a lot, and maybe they do about business, but they don't know a whole lot about managing a sports team for the most part. But on the other hand it has its downsides. Because you get a guy like Sather who was basically under zero pressure and could do whatever he wanted because he had such a long leash and knew he was never in danger of being fired. Gorton, who's much younger, could've potentially had the job for a very long time had he not stepped down.
Anchor: That's a good point. So, what are you expecting from today's press conference?
Brooks: Well, I came here thinking, you know, he'd unveil his plan for the team, talk about himself a bit, thanks Dolan. But I'm noticing there's four seats at the table here. He's sitting in the middle-left seat and in the far-left seat is Rangers captain Ryan McDonagh. So there's two empty seats. Notably absent from this room (at least for now) is Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault. So I think maybe...
Anchor: You think he's making a coaching change already?
Brooks: Quite possibly. Remember, this is not someone new to the organization who needs time to assess the situation. He's been here. He may feel the team needed a change. Now we'll have to see...okay it looks like we're getting ready to start here.
Anchor: Alright thank you for your time Larry. We now go live to the press conference being held by new New York Rangers General Manager Chris Drury...
Drury: Thanks everybody for coming on short notice. I wanted to get this out of the way so I can get to work building this team into a winner. It's been twenty-three years since this team won a Stanley Cup. The amazing fans of this team and the great people of this city deserve better. During this drought that has lasted over two decades, we have iced some of the most expensive teams and given up many valuable future assets for a chance to win now. Despite those facts, we have only made it to the Finals once in those twenty-three years. My goal is to make sure the fans never have to go through this long a drought again.
My plan going forward is to stick with what we've got for the most part for this season. I may make a few moves, but I don't anticipate doing too much in terms of trading until the offseason, when I'll re-evaluate. This team can't contend forever, so I'm going to try to win in the next few seasons. However, we have traded young player after young player and draft pick after draft pick and it still hasn't gotten us a cup, so I will limit the amount that we do that.
I am also happy to announce today that I have brought on some new personnel. I am officially announcing that Brian Leetch will be my Assistant GM and will also serve as the Head GM of the Hartford Wolfpack. Darryl Sutter will be the Rangers new Head Coach, with Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis serving as the Assistant Coaches. Keith McCambridge will remain on as Hartford's Head Coach with Jeff Beuekeboom coming back on board as Assistant Coach as well as Ron Wilson, who will be joining the team.
Position
Old
New
NYR GM​
Jeff Gorton​
Chris Drury​
NYR Assistant GM​
Jim Schoenfeld/Chris Drury​
Brian Leetch​
NYR Head Coach​
Alain Vigneault​
Darryl Sutter​
NYR Assistant Coach​
Lindy Ruff​
Martin St. Louis​
NYR Assistant Coach​
Scott Arniel​
Brad Richards​
HAR GM​
Chris Drury​
Brian Leetch​
HAR Head Coach​
Keith McCambridge​
Keith McCambridge​
HAR Assistant Coaches​
Joe Mormina/Mark Cesari​
Jeff Beukeboom/Ron Wilson​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

While I never had the honor of playing alongside Brian, I know how intelligent and passionate he is about the game of hockey. And I believe he will be able to give me good advice when I need it.
Darryl is a staple in the hockey community and is one of the most knowledgeable guys I know. Alain was a good coach, but he made some decisions in the playoffs that I strongly disagreed with and I felt the team needed a change.
Brad and Marty are two more very smart people who have been around the game for a long time. They're very good friends both on and off the ice so I expect that they'll work well together.
Keith is the one guy I've left in place because he hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself, so I want to give him some time.
I never wanted to see Jeff go. I thought it was a mistake, so I'm happy to bring him back. As for Ron, he hasn't coached at the NHL level in a while but he's one of the best there is in my opinion so I want to give him a chance in the AHL and see what he can do.
I just want to end this off by saying I'm very grateful to James Dolan for giving me this opportunity, I love the city of New York and the New York Rangers, so let's go win a Stanley Cup!!
So there you heard from the new GM of the New York Rangers, Jeff Gorton. Larry Brooks was right as we saw quite a few changes both behind the bench and in the front office in both the NHL and AHL. Many former Rangers getting jobs and a few seasoned vet coaches getting a chance here under Drury's watch.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
New York Rangers Be A GM Mode
2017-18: Preseason Update (September, 2017)
D3x0B5H.png
It is now officially Chris Drury's first day on the job as GM. The Rangers first preseason game is in two days against the Flyers, so let's look at the team's roster and some players to watch in preseason...

Key:
BOLD = Lock to make NHL team
GREEN = Likely to make NHL team
RED = Unlikely to make NHL team
No Color = Possibility to make NHL team
(U) = Unsigned
Forward Depth Chart:
Spots Available: 2 + 1/2 Healthy scratch
Competing Players: 13 (2 likely, 11 possible)
LWCRW
Miller (83)Zibanejad (85)Zuccarello (85)
Kreider (83)Hayes (82)Fast (80)
Nash (82)Desharnais (77)Buchnevich (80)
Grabner (82)Holland (76)Schneider (73)
Vesey (80)Nieves (72)Catenacci (68)
Carey (76)L. Andersson (70)Ronning (U)(66)
McLeod (75)Lettieri (70)Nejezchleb (65)
Tambellini (69)Fogarty (68)Stromwall (65)
Kovacs (66)Chytil (58)Virta (U)(63)
Gropp (65)Fontaine (58)
Gettinger (61)
Leedahl (61)
Lakatos (U)(61)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Defense Depth Chart:

Spots Available: 2 + 1 Healthy scratch
Competing Players: 6 (6 possible)
DD
McDonagh (86)Shattenkirk (84)
Skjei (84)Smith (81)
Staal (80)Holden (79)
Sproul (77)DeAngelo (77)
Kampfer (75)Graves (74)
C. Andersson (71)Bereglazov (65)
Pionk (65)Gilmour (64)
Zborovskiy (62)Sjalin (U)(61)
Reunanen (U)(59)Day (58)
Crawley (U)(57)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Goalie Depth Chart:

Spots Available: 0
Competing Players: 0
G
Lundqvist (88)
Pavelec (80)
Sheshtyorkin (64)
Halverson (64)
Georgiev (63)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
REPORT: Rangers Looking to Move Out Contracts
image.jpg
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports that the team is looking as possibly signing a couple Free Agents or some of their currently unsigned prospects, but are already at 49 out of the 50 allowed contracts, so they'll try to move out a few players.
One of those players who could possibly be traded is Cody McLeod, he says, who has yet to play a game as a member of the Rangers. He was claimed off waivers from the Nashville Predators recently.
Brooks also said these players can be had for cheap as the Rangers are trying to move quickly to sign some players.
:rangers acquire::hawks acquire:
2018 6th round pick (CHI)W Cody McLeod
2018 7th round pick (CHI)C Steven Fogarty
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Analysis: "Welp Brooks hit in on the nose with this one. Rangers moving out two contracts for a couple picks, likely below market value. Rangers clear space and get two picks for a 24 year old who will likely never make the NHL and a player they got for free not that long ago while Chicago picks up an AHL player and a depth forward for a potential playoff run for cheap."
TRADE ALERT: Nick Holden Moved to Winnipeg
image.jpg
:rangers acquire::jets acquire:
2018 3rd round pick (WIN)D Nick Holden
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Analysis: "New York is putting some trust in guys like Ryan Sproul and Anthony DeAngelo here, as they just moved out a good 6th/7th defenseman. He did only have 1 year left on his contract, and they got a 3rd for him, so it's a nice deal for New York in my opinion. If I'm the Jets, I would've like to have gotten him for a little bit cheaper, but maybe there were other teams interested."
OFFICIAL: Rangers Sign Ty Ronning to ELC
1297774265765_ORIGINAL.jpg
The New York Rangers have signed winger Ty Ronning to a 3 year, $925K AAV entry-level contract. Ronning was picked in the 7th round in 2016, but has developed nicely and could turn into a future NHLer.
OFFICIAL: New York Signs D Calle Sjalin to First Contract
BB170211NJ033-520x357.jpg
The Rangers signed another draft pick today, this time 2017 5th round pick Calle Sjalin to a 3 year, $900K AAV ELC. This puts them at 48 out of the 50 allowed contracts.

PlayerGPGAPTS+/-PIM
Ronning7527-30
Holland743724
Lettieri7246-10
Tambellini7156-12
Carey732502
Desharnais714514
L. Andersson7224-30
Sproul7224-52
Gropp713402
Nieves7123-10
Catenacci712310
Graves703326
DeAngelo7033-50
Kovacs5112-24
Bereglazov702227
Pionk710132
Schneider201110
Day301100
Kampfer4011-24
Stromwall7000-10
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Final Preseason Stats (Goalies):
GoalieGPWLOTLSV%GAASO
Halverson4210.8683.560
Georgiev4130.8814.110
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
qex7kSHsQyHVUamWvLAFUEkAPSiqM5RFJVR9VLMABtVSfR4jq2QLnWJ-eBRsV56hjdt41eRM_nFPRggZvEzpMUQAC-fmTw-X-0JjGcUlzp5h-DpTVDUXbO5NxxP-zdnYKBFwJSRl
New York Rangers GM Mode
2017-18
F
Miller (83)-Zibanejad (85)-Zuccarello (85)
Kreider (83)-Hayes (82)-Nash (82)
Grabner (82)-Buchnevich (80)-Vesey (80)
Holland (76)-Desharnais (77)-Fast (80)
D
McDonagh (86)-Skjei (84)
Shattenkirk (84)-DeAngelo (77)
Smith (81)-Sproul (77)
G
Lundqvist (88)
Pavelec (80)
Scratched: W Paul Carey (76), W Cole Schneider (73), D Marc Staal (80)
Hartford Wolfpack:
F
Lettieri (70)-L. Andersson (70)-Ronning (66)
Tambellini (69)-Nieves (72)-Kovacs (66)
Gropp (65)-Chytil (58)-Stromwall (65)
Catenacci (68)-Fontaine (58)-Leedahl (61)
D
Graves (74)-Pionk (65)
Sjalin (61)-Bereglazov (65)
C. Andersson (71)-Zborovskiy (62)
G
Halverson (64)
Georgiev (63)
Scratched: W Richard Nejezchleb (65), D John Gilmour (64), D Greg Noonan (68), D Michael Paliotta (70), D Steven Kampfer (75)
Darren Dreger reports that the New York Rangers are looking for a top 4 defenseman to strengthen their group. They currently have Anthony DeAngelo as their number four defenseman, and while he's played well so far, they're not too sure he can keep up this level of play the entire season. Also now with Brendan Smith being injured, it puts even more stress on this already relatively-weak defense core. It is rumored that the Blues, Senators, Islanders, and Coyotes have NHL defenseman on their trading blocks.
Dreger also added that he believes the Rangers have offered a contract to a Free Agent center who can rotate in on the fourth line with David Desharnais as insurance if he doesn't fit well. The top available centers are Mike Fisher, John Mitchell, and Marcel Goc.
:rangers acquire::pens acquire:
2018 7th round pick (PIT)D Marc Staal
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Analysis: "Very interesting move here, as I have to think the Rangers have something else up their sleeves. Staal is a good bottom pairing defenseman. Problem is he's drastically overpaid, so the Rangers get out of his contract while the Pens get a cheap depth defenseman (but they're close to the cap too, so I'm not sure why they'd do this). I think this must mean the Rangers have another deal lined up however because there's no way they trade a defenseman while Smith is out (leaving them with 5 NHL defenseman, 2 of whom have very little NHL experience) without bringing someone else in.
:rangers acquire::isles acquire:
D Thomas HickeyD Tarmo Reunanen (Unsigned)
RW Richard Nejezchleb
LW Dominik Lakatos (Unsigned)
D Brandon Crawley (Unsigned)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Analysis: "Here's the other trade we were expecting. Nobody expected it to be with the Islanders however as the teams have completed just two trades since 1972. Yes, you read that right. Just 2 trades in 45 years. And this is arguably the biggest trade they have completed, as Hickey is a very good bottom pairing defenseman and can play on the second pair if needed, which is likely were the Rangers will place him. The Rangers paid a pretty big price for a slight upgrade to Staal (Hickey is better, but not by a ton), giving up a B level prospect, 2 D level prospects, and an AHL player for that upgrade and a 7th round pick. But they also dump Staal's awful contract, which is a big plus.
As Darren Dreger reported earlier, the Rangers made an offer to a free agent center, and they got one. Mike Fisher, who's an NHL veteran, was signed to a 1 year, $1.5M AAV contract. He is expected to make his Rangers debut tomorrow in Columbus.
NYR: Smith, Fisher, Lundqvist, Pavelec
HFD: Pionk, Lettieri
Records
NYR: 8-3-2 (18 points)
HFD:
Ranks
NYR: 2nd in Division, 4th in Conference, 5th in NHL
HFD: 8th in Division, 15th in Conference, 29th in AHL
Team Stats
NYR: 46 GF (1st highest), 40 GA (3rd highest), 28.6 PP% (5th highest), 77.4 PK% (22nd highest)
HFD: 28 GF (19th highest), 38 GA (4th highest), 15.0 PP% (15th highest), 75.0 PK% (29th highest)
Player Stats
New York Rangers (Skaters):
PlayerGPGAPTS+/-PIM
Zibanejad1261117-46
Miller133101338
Zuccarello137512-50
Nash13731072
Hayes1336970
Vesey13437-32
Kreider13347610
Grabner13246-50
Shattenkirk1315672
Buchnevich13156-14
Hickey13156416
Skjei13055-58
Fast1322420
Holland1213400
McDonagh13134-67
Fisher7123-14
Smith912312
Desharnais611200
DeAngelo1311234
Carey100002
Sproul500010
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
New York Rangers (Goalies):
GoalieGPWLOTLSV%GAASO
Lundqvist11721.9022.570
Pavelec4111.8594.130
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hartford Wolfpack (Skaters):
PlayerGPGAPTS+/-PIM
L. Andersson124812-24
Ronning12741112
Lettieri11347212
Tambellini12257310
Kovacs1233612
Chytil12314-34
Pionk11134-410
Nieves1213422
Sjalin1204409
Gropp12123-52
Graves12123-715
Bereglazov12033110
Stromwall12112-50
Zborovskiy12022-40
Catenacci12101-62
Fontaine12011-60
Leedahl12011-62
C. Andersson12011-59
Gilmour1000-10
Schneider1000-20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hartford Wolfpack (Goalies):
GoalieGPWLOTLSV%GAASO
Halverson10352.8913.170
Georgiev2020.9153.020
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NYR Recap:
The Rangers offense has propelled them to the position they’re in now, because it certainly hasn’t been their goaltending. Zibanejad is killing it as the top line center, leading the team in goals, assists, and points and sitting just one point behind the league leader. Miller is playing at a point per game pace, and Zuccarello and Nash have both reached double digits in points. The only other teams with four or more double digit point scorers are St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, and Detroit. So New York is going to need their offense to keep performing, and hope their goaltenders can pick up the pace a bit.
HFD Recap:
Hartford lost a couple key guys to injury and lost their starting goaltender when the Rangers had injuries in net, but still many expected better than this with how much talent the Rangers have in Hartford. They have a relatively young team compared to others, but a highly skilled team.

Reactions: MNwild24

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Why after 4-5-6-... years of GM mode, my division has to be the best with 3-4 teams in the TOP 5-6 of the league??
Is it the same in NHL 16-17-18??

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Why after 4-5-6-... years of GM mode, my division has to be the best with 3-4 teams in the TOP 5-6 of the league??
Is it the same in NHL 16-17-18??
I've noticed this as well, in every iteration of the game. It seems whatever division you're in is the most competitive after a few years, if not from the start.

Reactions: ovikovy817

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

Season 7 (2020-2021)

Summer

M. Weber retires. 66 points in 430 games.

Draft

Round
Pick
Player
1​
7​
Andy Wigle​
19​
RW​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Re-signings

Player
PositionOverallAge
Term
AAV
C. McDavid
C​
91​
234 years9.2$
M. Barzal
C​
90​
234 years8.3$
T. Ennis
RW​
87​
302 years6.6$
J. Larsson
C​
84​
272 years3.4$
M. Hackett
G​
83​
301 year1.3$
W. Carrier
LW​
78​
251 year1M$
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Provorov, Spencer, Bratina, Fehr to two way contracts. Wigle ELC.

With McDavid and Barzal with the big raises, I could only pick between 2 out of those 5 players.
Ennis, Larsson, Bogosian, Hodgson and O'Reilly. (I wasn't to aware of the contracts at the TDL, so I haven't had a chance to trade someone at TDL) :help:
ROR an easy "let walk", then I decided to let walk Bogosian and Hodgson.
Those 3 were the best FA at July 1st.
ROR signed back with Colorado. 5.565$/4years
Bogosian signed with NY Rangers. 5.69$/3 years
Hodgson signed with San Jose. 4.445$/2 years

Free Agency

Player
Position
Overall
AAV
Zack Phillips​
C​
81​
27​
1 year​
1.04$​
Sam Gagner​
C​
81​
30​
1 year​
1M$​
Nevin Guy​
D​
80​
25​
3 years/2 way​
0.7$​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
My healthy scratches for the next year.

Zadorov, my new "A"
Carrier and Baptiste on the 4th line wings.
Barzal will carry his own line this year.

LW
C
RW
E. Kane (C) (89)C. McDavid (91)S. Reinhart (90)
M. Foligno (88)M. Barzal (91)T. Ennis (87)
M. Grigorenko (83)Z. Girgensons (86)J. Larsson (84)
W. Carrier (78)E. Cornel (79)N. Baptiste (78)
S. Gagner (80)Z. Phillips (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
D
D
R. Jarratt (86)R. Ristolainen (A) (85)
N. Zadorov (A) (85)J. McCabe (84)
O. Kylington (81)M. Pysyk (81)
N. Guy (80)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
J. Reimer (84)
M. Hackett (83)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Players to watch in AHL

Forwards

T. Raddysh 81
Z. Bratina 78
A. Musil 77
J. Ang 76
C. Salcido 75
Z. Franklin 75
T. Bala 71
A. Wigle 69 (CHL)

Defensmen

M. Spencer 78
T. Dermott 77
B. Martin 77
S. Day 76
I. Provorov 74

Goalies

S. Fehr 76

Season recap

Jarratt sophomore's year, and 2nd time at ASG. With Reimer this time.
And this year, I had no one to really compete for Calder (Baptiste but 4th liner), so I was only focused on the team wins.
First time I had 50+ wins.

San Jose won the President's Trophy with 107 points. Edmonton 2nd with 106 and I was 3rd with 105.

Trade Deadline

Some picks trade.

4th and 5th to Buffalo
4th, 5th, 6th and 7th to Detroit (they are last.)

2nd + 4th to Buffalo
4th, 5th (DET) + 2nd and 3rd (BUF) to Washington (they will not make the playoffs.)

51-28-3 (105 points)
1st in the division
1st in the conference
3rd in the league

San Jose wins the President's Trophy.

C. McDavid : 88 points (26 G + 62 A) in 82 GP
S. Reinhart : 79 points (25 G + 54 A) in 76 GP
E. Kane : 72 points (42 G + 30 A) in 82 GP
M. Barzal : 69 points (30 G + 39 A) in 82 GP (one more point than last year)
T. Ennis : 67 points (29 G + 38 A) in 82 GP
R. Jarratt : 57 points
R. Ristolainen : 32 points
N. Baptiste : 20 points

J. Reimer : 70 GP - 44 W - 25 L - 1 OT - 10 SO - 2.44 GAA - 91,55 SV%
M. Hackett : 14 GP - 8 W - 4 L - 2 OT - 2 SO - 2.37 GAA - 90,28 SV%

C. Giroux (PHI) + J. Tavares (NYI) 100 points => McDavid 9th
J. Tavares (NYI) 49 goals => Kane 9th
J. Reimer (BUF) 44 wins

Like during a previous year, it's the guy with the lower number of goals, that win the Art Ross :thumbd:

C. Giroux (PHI) => Art Ross
E. Karlsson (OTT) => Norris
J. Tavares (NYI) => Hart + Richard + Ted
J. Quick (LAK) => Vezina

PLAYOFFS

1st round : :sabres VS :leafs

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Maple Leafs
Sabres​
7:1​
2​
Maple Leafs
Sabres​
4:1​
3​
Sabres
Maple Leafs​
3:0​
4​
Sabres
Maple Leafs​
5:1​
5​
Maple Leafs​
Sabres
3:6​
6​
Sabres
Maple Leafs​
2:1​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Another 1st round matchup against the Leafs. This time I win.

2nd round : :sabres VS :panthers

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Panthers
Sabres​
2​
Panthers​
Sabres
2:3 (OT)​
3​
Sabres
Panthers​
3:0​
4​
Sabres​
Panthers
5​
Panthers​
Sabres
4:5 (OT)​
6​
Sabres​
Panthers
4:5 (OT)​
7​
Panthers​
Sabres
3:5​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ennis, McDavid and MaGee for the OT winners.
In the Game 7, in the middle of the 2nd I need to kill a major penalty (by Foligno). Reinhart broke the tie with 4 minutes to go, and then an insurance goal by Ennis.

Eastern Conference Final : :sabres VS :canes

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Hurricanes
Sabres​
4:1​
2​
Hurricanes​
Sabres
3:4 (OT)​
3​
Sabres
Hurricanes​
3:2​
4​
Sabres​
Hurricanes
3:5​
5​
Hurricanes​
Sabres
1:2 (OT)​
6​
Sabres
Hurricanes​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ristolainen and Girgensons for the OT winners.
For the 3rd consecutive round, I lose the first game in those playoffs.

Stanley Cup Final : :sharks VS :sabres

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Sabres​
Sharks
2:4​
2​
Sabres​
Sharks
2:3​
3​
Sharks
Sabres​
6:2​
4​
Sharks​
Sabres
5​
Sabres
Sharks​
6​
Sharks​
Sabres
7​
Sabres
Sharks​
5:3​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
:bow::bow::banana::banana:

Down 3-0, I was able to force game 7 and complete the comeback.:banana:
2nd Cup in 7 years (even in 4 years):banana:

G2 : Goldobin scored the winner
G4 : I was up by 3, but Goldobin scored another 2, then tied at 3. But Jarratt broke the tie with 34.9 to go. + 2 ENG after
G5 : 3rd period hatty for McDavid. Wins the game with 4.9 to go
G6 : Hodgson (my ex player) scores early in 3rd period to make 2-1. But McDavid had another 3rd period hatty. And for the 3rd straight game the GWG was scored in the last minute.
G7 :
Lundberg 13:20 (0-1) 1st
Baptiste 15:57 (1-1) 1st
Reinhart 16:44 (2-1) 1st
Reinhart 19:52 (3-1) 1st
----
late 3rd period
14:28 McCabe (2 minutes)
14:36 (8 seconds later) Jarratt (5 minutes) + misconduct
-----
So I decided to put my best players on the PK (PK1 McDavid/Reinhart and PK2 Barzal, Kane) normally it's the 3rd liners + Foligno there.
-----
14:42 (6 seconds later) Ciampini scores 5 on 3 (3-2)
17:13 McDavid scores SHG (4-2)
17:26 (13 seconds later) Hertl scores (4-3)
-----
McDavid take another penalty (interference) in the last minute. I was already 5 on 5.
And Reinhart complete the hatty with 1 seconds to go.

Kane gives the cup to Zadorov, then to Girgensons, then to Ristolainen, then to Reimer
--------------------
Choke job by SJS, blowing away a 3-0 lead, and then 3 times conceed the GWG in the last minute :sarcasm::help:
----------

S. Reinhart : 31 points (11G + 20A)
C. McDavid : 31 points (12G + 19A)
T. Ennis : 22 points

I thought McDavid would win the Conn Smythe, because he had more points in the finals, and the ECF. But I forgot those points and goals by Reinhart in the 1st two rounds.

Trophies

Stanley Cup -> Buffalo Sabres
Prince of Wales Trophy -> Buffalo Sabres
Conn Smythe Trophy -> Sam Reinhart

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Playing as the Coyotes. First season I tanked. Traded away everyone of value, picked up Oreilly, Baptiste and a 1st for Strome and others. Picked up Trouba and Jones. Finished 27th and won the lottery.

2016 Entry Draft
RoundSelection #PlayerPos.TypeRate
11A. MatthewsCPLY80
111J. BeanDOFD57
118R. KubicGHYB49
234T. GettingerLWPWF57
247R. AbolsCPWF67
255A. BurnsDTWD62
364J. FaithDDFD52
386S. GirardDOFD52
388J. HendersonRWPWF62
495J. MayenscheinCPLY64
497T. SchultzDTWD63
5124T. CalvasDDFD50
5128J. GauthierRWPWF64
6154A. NylanderRWPLY58
7184S. SmithGHYB59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rookie Signings
06-25-16: C A. Matthews 3yr/$925,000
06-26-16: D J. Bean 3yr/$575,000
06-26-16: C R. Abols 3yr/$735,000
06-27-16: G R. Kubic 3yr/$575,000
06-27-16: Lw T. Gettinger 3yr/$575,000
07-07-16: Rw J. Henderson 3yr/$645,000

Re-signings
06-25-16: D S. Jones (85 TWD) 4yr/$2,960,000 AAV
06-25-16: D J. Trouba (85 TWD) 3yr/$3,025,000 AAV
06-25-16: Rw B. Bennett (81 SNP) 1yr/$795,000
06-25-16: RW J. Marchessault (79 PLY) 2yr/$805,000
06-25-16: C E. O'Dell (78 TWF) 1yr/$780,000
06-25-16: D G. Carlsson (67 TWD) 2yr/$580,000
06-26-16: Lw T. Rieder (82 SNP) 1yr/$1,380,000
06-26-16: LW D. Jaskin (81 SNP) 2yr/$820,000
06-26-16: RW R. Panik (80 SNP) 1yr/$845,000
06-26-16: D T. Erixon (78 TWD) 1yr/$770,000
08-05-16: D J. Tinordi (80 DFD)
08-05-16: D K. connauton (81 OFD)

Free Agent Signings
07-04-16: RW C. Stewart (82 PWF) 3yr/$2,630,000 AAV
07-04-16: RW J. Sekac (80 PLY) 2yr/$850,000 AAV
07-04-16: D K. Dahlbeck (77 DFD) 2yr/$790,000 AAV
07-04-16: C S. Gagner (81 PLY) 2yr/$1,920,000 AAV
07-04-16: G L. Domingue (80 HYB) 1yr/$860,000 AAV
07-04-16: C S. Weiss (80 PLY) 1yr/$910,000 AAV
07-04-16: G C. Hutton (79 HYB) 2yr/$860,000 AAV
07-05-16: LW E. Staal (88 PLY) 4yr/$5,710,000 AAV
07-05-16: Lw D. Perron (85 TWF) 3yr/$4,645,000 AAV

Transactions
07-07-16: To CAR: Rw J. Vitale (78 TWF), D S. Girard (52 OFD)
To ARI: D B. Pesce (78 OFD), D J. Slavin (78 TWD), 2017 CHI 3rd

07-07-16: To TBL: RW J. Sekac (80 PLY)
To ARI: D A. Sustr (81 DFD)

07-07-16: To VAN: G A. Hill (65 HYB), G S. Smith (59 HYB)
To ARI: G J. Markstrom (82 HYB)
07-08-16: To CBJ: D K. Wood (66 DFD), 2017 CHI 3rd

To ARI: RW J. Anderson (74 GRN), 2017 CBJ 4th

07-10-16: To BOS: RW C. Garland (66 SNP)
To ARI: D J. Liles (79 OFD)

07-10-16: To MTL: C P. Cormier (75 GRN)
To ARI: D G. Pateryn (75 TWD)

07-10-16: To TBL: G M. Langhammer (70 HYB), RW J. Gauthier (64 PWF), RW H. Samuelsson (79 TWF), D T. Schultz (63 TWD), D M. Stone (81 DFD)
To ARI: G G. Senn (75 HYB), D D. Masin (64 TWD), 2017 TBL 2nd, 2018 TBL 2nd

01-29-17: To SJS: C L. Dauphin (72 TWF), C J. Mayenschein (66 PLY), RW R. Panik (80 SNP)
To ARI: C J. Thornton (88 PLY), RW J. Ward (83 GRN)

01-29-17: To COL: D K. Connauton (81 OFD), D A. Burns (64 TWD)
To ARI: LW M. Rantanen (77 PLY)

02-26-17: To TOR: D T. Calvas (52 DFD)
To ARI: C M. Marner (77 PLY)

03-03-17: To DET: RW J. Henderson (66 PWF), D A. Burns (64 TWD)
To ARI: RW T. Pulkinnen (84 SNP), TOR 2017 3rd, DET 2017 4th

03-03-17: Claimed RW C. Jarnkrok off waivers from NSH

Regular Season Record
43W-29L-10OTL 96PTS 236GF 233GA
NHL = 11th
Western = 5th
Pacific = 3rd

Stanley Cup Playoffs
RdOpp.GameAwayHome
1@SJS131
@SJS235
SJS341
SJS421
@SJS554
SJS641
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Three years into a fantasy draft be a GM (sim about 2/3 to 3/4 of games most seasons and play the playoffs) and stuff is definitely starting to get wacky with the sim in charge of all new players.

Wanted to make things a little harder after winning the cup so I moved Rantanen for 1OA and Buchnevich and a year old elite prospect who somehow had no offensive skills whatsoever for 2OA. Drafted two guys I'd scouted a ton and had good stats, high 70s and 80s in each category. Seemed like everyone after them, literally everyone from 3OA on had pretty terrible stats. Not a single skater at any position was over 75 in speed, acceleration, offensive awareness or defensive awareness - those are the ones I weight the most, since I find they're most important. Also kind of odd but of the top 50 ranked prospects there were only a handful that weren't from the WHL.

Then tried to move Brannstrom since he was still a 78 and had terrible, terrible shooting skills but pretty high value. There was literally not a single game generated d-man in the entire league or the draft that was at all decent. I mean nobody over a 75 overall, nobody with significant trade value or a ceiling above medium top 6 d out of multiple years of game generated players.

I know it's easier said than done, but can it really be that hard to have the game randomly generate a wide array of different players?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
2017 NHL Entry Draft
RoundSel. #PlayerPos.TypeRate
120M. DiPietroGHYB55
250G. HillenRWPWF75
259N. SuzukiCPLY53
365M. HollowellDOFD49
383L. in-AlbonCTWF68
389J. MartelRWSNP58
4100R. GardinerDDFD69
4110M. CarsonLWTWF50
4111J. StudnickaCPLY52
4113G. VilardiCPLY60
5140T. RaddyshRWSNP61
6170K. CherynukDDFD56
7200H. VerbeekLWTWF60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rookie Signings
DatePlayerType & RateLengthAmount
06-25-17D R. Gardiner69 DFD3 yrs.$830,000
06-25-17RW G. Hillen75 PWF3 yrs.$950,000
07-19-17C G. Vilardi60 PLY3 yrs.$650,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Contract Renewals
06-25-17G J. Markstrom82 HYB2 yrs.$1,310,000
RW B. Gionta81 SNP1 yr.$910,000
D A. Sustr81 DFD4 yrs.$1,410,000
D T. Erixon78 TWD1 yr. $830,000
06-26-17C A. Vermette83 TWF1 yr.$2,630,000
C S. Weiss81 PLY1 yr.$935,000
06-30-17RW C. Jarnkrok79 PLY1 yr.$835,000
RW B. Bennett81 SNP1 yr.$915,000
07-09-17LW T. Rieder84 SNP2 yr.$2,870,000
RW T. Pulkinnen84 SNP3 yrs.$3,710,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Free Agent Signings
07-04-17G C. Booth74 HYB3 yrs.$745,000
D C. Folin78 TWD2 yrs.$905,000
LW J. Lowry77 TWF1 yr.$1, 035, 000
07-05-17C T. Johnson87 TWF6 yrs.$6,730,000
C J. Thornton88 PLY3 yrs.$6,790,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Transactions
07-01-17: To VAN: C B. Richardson (82 TWF)
To ARI: D B. Phillips (64 DFD)

07-01-17: To WAS: RW J. Ward (84 GRN)
To ARI: WAS 2018 2nd, WAS 2018 3rd, WAS 2019 3rd

07-02-17: To FLA: D J. Tinordi (83 DFD)
To ARI: D M. Matheson (80 OFD), FLA 2018 3rd

07-10-17: To CGY: D D. Masin (66 TWD), ARI 2018 3rd
To ARI: D J. Jokipakka (80 TWD), CGY 2019 4th, FLA 2019 4th

07-11-17: To PIT: ARI 2023 1st
To ARI: PIT 2023 1st

07-11-17: To NYR: ARI 2021 1st
To ARI NYR 2021 1st

07-22-17: To NSH: LW E. Staal (88 PLY)
To ARI: LW F. Forsberg (87 SNP)

08-13-17: To CAR: LW M. Domi (84 PLY), C J. Studnicka (52 PLY)
To ARI: CAR 2019 1st, D T. Carrick (76 DFD)

10-31-17: To CGY: G M. Smith (83 HYB), ARI 2018 4th
To ARI: G M. McDonald (79 HYB)

11-30-17: To WAS: G M. DiPietro (56 HYB)
To ARI: WAS 2018 1st, WAS 2018 2nd

03-03-18: To NYI: C A. Vermette (83 TWF), LW M. Carson (50 PWF), D M. Hollowell (49 OFD)
To ARI: C M. Barzal (77 PLY), LW J. Bailey (82 TWF), NYI 2018 2nd

03-03-18: To DET: RW C. Stewart (82 PWF)
To ARI: LW D. Helm (82 TWF)

03-03-18: To CBJ: C N Suzuki (62 PLY), C J. Thornton (86 PLY), D R. Gardiner (71 DFD)
To ARI: C A. Wennberg (85 PLY), D B. Stuart (79 DFD), CBJ 2018 2nd

03-03-18: To CGY: C S. Weiss (80 PLY)
To ARI: RW H. Smith (77 GRN)

03-03-18: To LAK: ARI 2020 1st
To ARI: LAK 2020 1st

03-03-18: TO ANA: ARI 2022 1st
To ARI: ANA 2022 1st

03-03-18: To TOR: LW D. Perron (85 TWF), C L. in-Albon (70 TWF), WSH 2018 2nd
To ARI: LW J. Van Riemsdyk (87 PWF)

Regular Season Record
49W 26L 7OTL 105PTS 250GF 213GA
NHL = 2nd
West = 2nd
Pacific = 1st

Stanley Cup Playoffs
RoundGameLocationAwayHome
11CHI73
2CHI53
3@CHI64
4@CHI31
5CHI56
6@CHI63
21EDM25
2EDM43
3@EDM34
4@EDM20
5EDM32
6@EDM21
7EDM14
31@DAL15
2@DAL06
3DAL47
4DAL35
5@DAL60
6DAL26
41WAS34
2WAS31
3@Was32
4@Was42
5WAS30
6@Was61
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Stanley Cup
Clarence S. Campbell Bowl
Conn Smythe Trophy - O. Ekman-Larsson

Received 5 year contract extension

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

Season 8 (2021-2022)
Summer

Draft

Round
Pick
Player
1​
30​
Ted Fayne​
18​
LW​
2​
1​
Harvey Haines​
18​
G​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

31st overall to Biffalo
34th overall + 94th overall to Vancouver

Re-signings

R. JarrattD8723Q.O.0.77$
7 years8.4$
O. KylingtonD81244 years1.4$
M. HackettG 8331 1 year1.35$
W. CarrierLW78261 year0.98$
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I gave to Jarrat a Q.O. then I've traded McCabe away, two season after that huge contract I gave him. Then I used his money to sign Jarratt to a real contract.
Day, Baptiste, Cornel, Ang, Raddysh to 2 way contracts
Fayne and Haines to ELCs

:nucks
1st round pick in 2022 (VAN)J. McCabe (84)
2nd round pick in 2022 (BUF)
3rd round pick in 2022 (BUF)
4th round pick in 2022 (BUF)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McCabe is their best player now.

Nobody signed as FA this year.
Day will play in the NHL and Musil too

LW
C
RW
E. Kane (C) (89)C. McDavid (92)S. Reinhart (90)
M. Foligno (88)M. Barzal (91)Z. Girgensons (86)
M. Grigorenko (83)J. Larsson (85)T. Ennis (86)
W. Carrier (78)E. Cornel (79)N. Baptiste (78)
A. Musil (77)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
D
D
R. Jarratt (89)R. Ristolainen (A) (86)
N. Zadorov (A) (86)O. Kylington (81)
S. Day (76)M. Pysyk (81)
N. Guy (80)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
M. Hackett (83)​
J. Reimer (83)​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Players to watch in AHL

Forwards

T. Raddysh 81
C. Salcido 80
Z. Bratina 78
J. Ang 76
Z. Franklin 76
A. Wigle 75
T. Bala 74
T. Fayne 63 (CHL)

Defensmen

M. Spencer 78
T. Dermott 77
B. Martin 77
I. Provorov 74

Goalies

S. Fehr 76
H. Haines 63 (CHL)

Season recap

After 3 games, I decided to change my starter for the season. Hackett number 1 and Reimer number 2.
Ennis is in the last year of his contract, will play on the 3rd line, Girgensons on the 2nd. Depends on how is going the season, maybe the end for Ennis in Buffalo. Because Reinhart must be paid next summer.

I was 4-6 points behind a playoff spot at the TDL, so I decided to trade Ennis.

The title holder will miss the playoffs :(

Trade Deadline

:nashville
C. Jarnkrok (79)T. Ennis (86)
2nd round pick in 2022 (NSH)5th round pick in 2022 (BUF)
3rd round pick in 2022 (NSH)6th round pick in 2022 (BUF)
7th round pick in 2022 (BUF)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ennis @ 50% retained
Nobody wanted Ennis for the 1st round pick. Nashville last in the league.
Baptiste will move to 3RW, Musil to 4RW and Jarnkrok as #13

37-36-9 (83 points)
6th in the division
11th in the conference
22nd in the league

Winnipeg Jets wins the President's Trophy.

C. McDavid : 89 points (27 G + 62 A) in 82 GP (one more goal than last year)
S. Reinhart : 78 points (20 G + 58 A) in 79 GP (one less point than last year)
M. Barzal : 76 points (31 G + 45 A) in 82 GP
E. Kane : 64 points (39 G + 25 A) in 82 GP
M. Foligno : 64 points (26 G + 38 A) in 82 GP
R. Jarratt : 55 points
Z. Girgensons : 52 points

M. Hackett : 65 GP - 29 W - 31 L - 2 OT - 2 SO - 3.09 GAA - 89,49 SV%
J. Reimer : 23 GP - 8 W - 7 L - 4 OT - 10 SO - 3.87 GAA - 87,46 SV%

J. Drouin (TBL) 118 points => Art + Hart + Richard + Ted + Lady Byng
J. Drouin (TBL) 58 goals
R. Lehner (OTT) 36 wins => Price wins Vezina

M. Rielly (TOR) wins the Norris

PLAYOFFS

Chicago Blackhawks wins the Cup against Ottawa Senators
P. Kane is the Conn Smythe Winner

AHL

Rochester Americans.

W in 7 against Ice Hogs
W in 6 against Adirondack
W in 7 against Hamilton
L in 6 against Sharks

another final against the Sharks but in AHL this time. Lost in 6 games.
N. Guy and C. Jarnkrok joined the team in the first round to help them to make that push.

Trophies

No trophies this year.

RECAP AFTER 8 SEASONS

Season
Team
Record
# East
# NHL
Playoffs
Season 1​
Buffalo Sabres​
29-45-8​
66 pts​
8th​
16th​
30th​
Missed​
Season 2​
Buffalo Sabres​
30-47-5​
65 pts​
8th​
16th​
30th​
Missed​
Season 3​
Buffalo Sabres​
43-30-9​
95 pts​
3rd​
5th​
8th​
2nd round​
Season 4​
Buffalo Sabres​
43-32-7​
93 pts​
2nd​
6th​
11th​
CHAMPION
Season 5​
Buffalo Sabres​
47-31-4​
98 pts​
4th​
8th​
10th​
ECF​
Season 6​
Buffalo Sabres​
45-30-7​
97 pts​
3rd​
4th​
7th​
1st round​
Season 7​
Buffalo Sabres​
51-28-3​
105 pts​
1st​
1st​
3rd​
CHAMPION
Season 8​
Buffalo Sabres​
37-36-9​
83 pts​
6th​
11th​
22nd​
Missed​
Season 9​
Buffalo Sabres​
Season 10​
Buffalo Sabres​
Season 11​
Buffalo Sabres​
Season 12​
Season 13​
Season 14​
Season 15​
Season 16​
Season 17​
Season 18​
Season 19​
Season 20​
Season 21​
Season 22​
Season 23​
Season 24​
Season 25​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Some (late) first impressions playing NHL 18 GM Mode.

Trading
I play on hard trade difficulty. I like that it's nearly impossible to trade for decent assets that aren't on the block. I also like that good players can end up on the block because of morale, not extending, etc. Trading up or down at the draft is dramatically improved. It took me 5+12+31 to acquire the 1st overall pick (Dahlin). At the same time, the Golden Knights turned down 2+31+35 for 1 when I wanted to trade up to try and draft Hischier instead of Patrick.

One thing I've noticed, teams aren't vigilante enough with overpaid players. Phaneuf at 7M with 3 years left was able to be traded without salary retained.

The lack of NMC+NTCs still sucks. Especially with morale, it would add a nice dynamic to the game. Imagine having a star playing who wants a trade but will only greenlight a few choice destinations....

Contracts
I've only played 2 seasons deep. So I've yet to see if the new logic with teams supposedly releasing older players to make room for RFAs works. In past games, players like Galchenyuk would end up RFAs because teams would sign crappy older players, or would not dump salary at the draft+deadline to make room for upcoming extensions.

I don't like how easy it still is to sign top UFAs. More so with term. The contracts players ask for are too short. Combined with the lack of NMC+NTCs, it makes free agency too easy of a way to cheat and stock up a team. Because CPU teams don't care about players being overpaid in trades, it's not hard to overpay a free agent to get them to sign, and then dump them in a year or two for draft picks to free up cap.

I like the dynamic early extensions adds. I relocated the LA Kings to a medium market team, resulting in the budget being slashed dramatically. I offered Due Doughty an 8 year 7M per contract, but he was only willing to sign with the Cleveland Dogs for a dramatic over payment so I had to deal him.

Major Disappointments
There are two things that are major disappointments. They both make GM mode impossible to enjoy for someone trying to play (not sim) a realistic long term season mode.

The first thing, is that there is no way to adjust the NHL schedule. In (much) older games, schedules in GM/season mode could be adjusted so that they were something like 27 games long. This would be perfect. With super realistic sliders and 7-10 minute periods, I could play out an entire season in maybe 3 weeks with an average of 30-60 minutes of game play a day and not feel like I am wasting my life grinding out on a hockey game. 82 is just wayyyyy too much. By the time I would play out an entire season, the next NHL game would almost be out.

Another major disappointment is that they have yet to fix development. Players develop into weird hockey mutants who all skate like Pavel Bure and shoot like him too. 5* skating for everybody. On realistic sliders, discrepancies between speed and size can be deadly. I was scoring on a 50 goal pace with Grabner because a few times a game I'd be able to catch a defender flat footed coming up the wing, or be able to circle around a tired line and get to the top of the slot where I could snipe it. Having one player like this per team is fine, but having an entire team of young players with this kind of skating completely ruins the realism.

If they fixed season length, made players develop more realistically, added NTCs+NMCs, and fixed up the trade AI+FA AI slightly, this would be the best hockey GM simulator ever made at least for playing. The adjustable sliders make the gameplay at least with the real NHL rosters before the mutant prospects come in perfect.

HOT DOG MODE
I pretty much ignore hot dog mode. It's tedious and boring. The aspect I like about the finances is that each team has a different player salary budget. I think there's potential to add further things like scouting, development, medical (injuries), front office (free agents), etc that you could choose to allocate money to in order to decide how you want your franchise to excel.

MORALE
I don't really have much of a problem with morale. My biggest disappointment was that in the 32 team expansion draft, I drafted Mark Borowiecki from Ottawa expecting him to be a sick locker room leader, and he was just neutral. Maybe I just haven't played enough, but this feature seems fine to me. I could see how it might get annoying if you are simming big chunks of the season. It comes off more as a feature that works best when someone is actually managing their team day to day, and not simming year to year. I like that morale can lead to players being available who otherwise wouldn't be.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Trading during the draft.

I have drafted players in the 5th round that end up having high trade value but are already 20 years old and are rated a 60. From simming/playing a few franchises now. Those players never go higher than a 70 but since he has high trade value i can trade him for the 1st overall prospect in the same draft and probably just have to attach a 4th rd pick.

They get a bust and i get a Forward/Defender that has an 80+ rating at 18 that will probably get up to 90 in a few seasons.

Or its not a strong draft i trade those types of prospects to teams that have no talent and will probably fail the next year and can usually get 3-4 1st rd picks for that said prospect.

Since the game lets me do it thats what i do.

i have drafted a goalie that was "franchise" but his rating never went past 75 by age 24. Kind of disappointing

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
What is your scouting strategies? How long do you send you scouts for to whatever region and how do you decide? I think I am lacking in this department, I'm pretty bad at drafting.
I usually scout Forwards one year, and Defenceman the other, and so on.

I don't scout goalies at all, since you can find good undrafted ones in FA, and goalies seems to be the least important part of a team in simulation.

And i scout 1 week per 10 players. (And also if it's 15+ (or 25+, 35+, etc.) then i add an extra week, for me this works and i usually have atleast 1 NHL ready prospect per year.

As per leagues, WHL seems to produce the most talent, idk why.

EDIT: Also at the draft, i sort by potential, not projected fraft position, and draft the ones first that have EXACT/HIGH Elite.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

Season 9 (2022-2023)

Historic season.

Summer

Retirement for C. Ruhwedel (D). 110 GP and 8 points

Draft

I had the 8th and the 9th pick in the first round, but I've decided to move up.

4th overall => to Buffalo
9th overall + 31st overall + 61st overall => to Detroit

Round
Pick
Player
1​
4​
Travis Hutton​
18​
C​
1​
8​
Jerry Kadri​
19​
LW​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Re-signings

Player
Position
Overall
AAV
S. Reinhart​
C​
90​
26​
5 years​
8.06$​
M. Foligno​
LW​
88​
30​
3 years​
5.82$​
J. Larsson​
C​
84​
29​
3 years​
3.7$​
M. Hackett​
G​
83​
32​
2 years​
1.375$​
W. Carrier​
LW​
78​
27​
1 year​
1M$​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dermott, Martin, Bratina, Franklin, Jarnkrok signed to two way contracts.
Hutton and Kadri ELCs

Free Agency

Josh MorrisseyD81271 year2.5$
Kenny AgostinoLW80301 year1.1$
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
#6D and #13F

4 rookies will make the team this year. An entire 3rd line will be the rookie line. Hutton and Kadri are that good to directly make the team, few months after the draft.

LW
C
RW
E. Kane (C) (89)C. McDavid (92)S. Reinhart (91)
M. Foligno (88)M. Barzal (91)Z. Girgensons (86)
J. Kadri (84)T. Hutton (83)C. Salcido (84)
M. Grigorenko (83)J. Larsson (84)T. Raddysh (81)
K. Agostino (80) E. Cornel (79)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
D
D
R. Jarratt (89)R. Ristolainen (A) (86)
N. Zadorov (A) (86)O. Kylington (81)
J. Morrissey (81)M. Pysyk (81)
N. Guy (80)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
M. Hackett (83)​
J. Reimer (79)​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Players to watch in AHL

Forwards

A. Wigle 80
J. Ang 76
Z. Franklin 76
T. Bala 74
T. Fayne 69

Defensmen

S. Day 76

Goalies

S. Fehr 76
H. Haines 69

Season recap

WHAT A SEASON.

I had 4 good rookies who could win the Calder if they were alone on the team. Kadri, Hutton, Salcido and Raddysh.

27-0-0 to start the season :cool: broke some NHL records
- Longest winning streak (27)
- Longest winning streak to start a season (27)
- Longest winning streak on the road (14)
- Longest winning streak to start a season at home (14)
- Longest winning streak to start a season on the road (14)
+
- Most points in a season (138)
- Most wins in a season (68)
+
- Most wins by a goalie in a season (58)

6th december -> first loss at home 6-5 against San Jose.
15th december -> first loss on the road 1-2 against Boston

Reinhart, McDavid, Jarratt and Hackett in the ASG.

The first game after ASG, 24th january, first OTL. 5-6 at home against Edmonton (42-4-1)

17th february -> 50 wins (50-7-1)
25th february -> 10 total loss (52-9-1)
23rd march -> 60 wins (60-11-2)
27th march -> 62 wins (62-11-2)
29th march -> most wins in a season (63-11-2). 1-4 against Toronto at home
7th april -> most points in a season (134 pts). 4-3 OT win in Columbus. (game 80)

-----

Reinhart and McDavid had a wonderful season.
Reinhart -> 1st in points, 1st in goals, 2nd in assists
McDavid -> 2nd in points, - , 1st in assists

Calder race
Hutton finished 1st in points (tight race almost the whole season with Kalle Larsson from Ottawa, 9+62=71 points, he'll finish 3rd in assists overall, behind McDavid and Reinhart)
Kadri finished 5th in points
Salcido 14th in points and Raddysh 20th in points.

Boston 3rd in the league, Florida 4th in the league and Ottawa 5th in the league.

Trade Deadline

Nothing.

68-12-2 (138 points)
1st in the division
1st in the conference
1st in the league

S. Reinhart : 125 points (54 G + 71 A) in 82 GP
C. McDavid : 111 points (36 G + 75 A) in 82 GP
T. Hutton : 78 points (28 G + 50 A) in 81 GP
E. Kane : 74 points (41 G + 33 A) in 78 GP
R. Jarratt : 62 points (18 G + 44 A) in 82 GP
J. Kadri : 58 points (32 goals)
C. Salcido : 31 points
T. Raddysh : 20 points

M. Hackett : 72 GP - 58 W - 12 L - 2 OT - 3 SO - 2.58 GAA - 90,50 SV%
J. Reimer : 12 GP - 10 W - 1 L - 0 OT - 4 SO - 1.17 GAA - 90,30 SV%

S. Reinhart (BUF) 125 points
S. Reinhart (BUF) 54 goals
M. Hackett (BUF) 58 wins

PLAYOFFS

1st round : :sabres VS :leafs

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Maple Leafs​
Sabres
1:3​
2​
Maple Leafs
Sabres​
7:1​
3​
Sabres
Maple Leafs​
4:2​
4​
Sabres
Maple Leafs
5​
Maple Leafs
Sabres​
6:2​
6​
Sabres
Maple Leafs
3:2 (OT)​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Like two years ago, I start the route to the Cup against the Leafs in 6. McDavid scores the OT winner.

2nd round : :sabres VS :bruins

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Bruins​
Sabres
2​
Bruins
Sabres​
5:1​
3​
Sabres
Bruins​
4​
Sabres​
Bruins
5​
Bruins​
Sabres
1:2​
6​
Sabres​
Bruins
7​
Bruins​
Sabres
0:2​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1st against 3rd of the league.

Eastern Conference Final : :sabres VS :canes

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Hurricanes
Sabres​
2​
Hurricanes​
Sabres
3​
Sabres
Hurricanes​
4:0​
4​
Sabres​
Hurricanes
5​
Hurricanes
Sabres​
1:0​
6​
Sabres
Hurricanes​
5:2​
7​
Hurricanes​
Sabres
0:2​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kane, the captain, scores with 29.9 to go in the third to break the tie. And then he'll add an ENG (game 7)
Reinhart injured in G6, will be back for G2 of the SCF.

Stanley Cup Final : :sabres VS :blues

Game
Away Team
Home Team
Score
1​
Blues
Sabres​
4:2​
2​
Blues
Sabres​
3​
Sabres
Blues​
5:0​
4​
Sabres
Blues​
6:3​
5​
Blues
Sabres​
6​
Sabres
Blues​
7​
Blues​
Sabres
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
3rd CUP in 6 years :wave:
The only home win was in G7.

G6 => 2 goals for Girgensons
G7 =>
4:04 Tarasenko (SHG)
4:14 Kane (PPG)
15:48 Barbashev (PPG)
18:27 Girgensons
2:2 after 20
19:57 McDavid wins a faceoff, Jarratt shoot, the puck hit Pietrangelo's stick, the stick is broken but the puck goes in.
2:3 after 40
And no more goals to come.

McDavid 23 points
Reinhart 21 points
Kane 19 points
but Hackett wins the Conn Smythe. 2.20 GAA 92,51 SV%

Trophies

Stanley Cup -> Buffalo Sabres
President's Trophy -> Buffalo Sabres
Prince of Wales Trophy -> Buffalo Sabres

Sam Reinhart -> Hart + Art + Richard + Ted Lindsay + Lady Byng
Ralph Jarratt -> Norris
Matt Hackett -> Conn Smythe
Travis Hutton -> Calder Trophy

only 4 trophies were not for my players
Vezina + Jennings (for the Edmonton goalie) a little bit surprised to not to win the Vezina
Masterton (I don't know how to win this one)
Selke

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
How do I develop prospects?
I've heard Play them to their role and I've heard Play them higher than their role.
What to do with CHL Players? Keep them unsigned or sign them?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
How do I develop prospects?
I've heard Play them to their role and I've heard Play them higher than their role.
What to do with CHL Players? Keep them unsigned or sign them?

It's a crapshoot. I had Travis Sanheim develop into a 92 top 2 and this one I have him develop into an 82. Sergachev developed the same tho regardless of what I did with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad