Be a GM question.

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Has anyone ever done a fantasy draft in Be a GM and drafted only younger players with High potential stars regardless of overall rating? If so how did it work out? I am contemplating doing this to see how fast players progress and such.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Has anyone ever done a fantasy draft in Be a GM and drafted only younger players with High potential stars regardless of overall rating? If so how did it work out? I am contemplating doing this to see how fast players progress and such.

I have. generally your team stinks for 1-2 years. but be weary. if you draft and develop all kids of the same age and they all advance accordingly you are going to be against the cap and trading some of them away 3-5 years in. I generally start by drafting a top 10 (young player, like stamkos or petrangelo) and then draft the top prosects. If you go this route you will have to let some of your good young players walk or trade them for younger players to keep the cycle going.

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I have. generally your team stinks for 1-2 years. but be weary. if you draft and develop all kids of the same age and they all advance accordingly you are going to be against the cap and trading some of them away 3-5 years in. I generally start by drafting a top 10 (young player, like stamkos or petrangelo) and then draft the top prosects. If you go this route you will have to let some of your good young players walk or trade them for younger players to keep the cycle going.

Thanks, I figured this would happen but I want a challenge in be a GM mode. I always get really bored starting with an existing team after a year. I figure that it'd make the game harder to play even on just Pro difficulty. If those top young players are availableI would pick them up, I just am going to avoid the guys that'll have their stars locked in the next year.

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
You end with the best team in the league without trying. Boring.

I don't think you get the premise. You only draft players with high potential. I did it last night drafting in the 15-16 spots in a fantasy draft and ended up with only 5-6 players with atleast an 80 overall rating. The lowest potential on my team is one player with 3 potential stars. I dont get where you think that you wont have to try when the CPU picks the best possible players and you end up with one NHL caliber forward line and D pairing.

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
I do it, but as soon as a player goes to white stars I trade them for a pick or 2

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
I avoid hat as I find it easy 5 years in. If you really want a challenge, replace a team with Great Brittan and build it to a competitor. You have 0 trade options were you wont lose a future piece, also you will be forced to build off the draft. I keep it on Superstar, and play a few home games. Its the ultimate Be A GM challenge.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Don't draft all top prospects, around 2-3 top prospects for each position and some mediocre ones will do. It keeps the game going and makes it fun in later years cause you'll be able to play against some good teams.

Like bigbadbruins1, I usually get myself a Top 10 pick and select a guy like Crosby/Stamkos/Malkin to build around. After, I try to draft a good goalie to help keep the puck out and get some solid roster players who can contribute points and play defense. (Usually I go for a SNP-PLY duo on all my lines). I usually don't start selecting top prospects till after the 10th round cause most of them are still available till then. After that, I just rotate NHL players and prospects.

Woody19

Oct 31, 2005
Duesseldorf, Germany
I enjoy doing my own expansion draft most.
Usually, I replace a team like Florida or Phoenix with my own team (currently playing the Halifax Rebels) and conduct an expansion draft according to the rules when Atlanta entered the league. This is quite challenging, as you only get mediocre players without any real trade value to start with, so the first few years are very challenging. On the other hand, it is really rewarding as you value successful trades or drafts far more. :)

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I enjoy doing my own expansion draft most.
Usually, I replace a team like Florida or Phoenix with my own team (currently playing the Halifax Rebels) and conduct an expansion draft according to the rules when Atlanta entered the league. This is quite challenging, as you only get mediocre players without any real trade value to start with, so the first few years are very challenging. On the other hand, it is really rewarding as you value successful trades or drafts far more. :)

Sounds like fun, but I'm not entirely privvy to all the Expansion draft rules. I have created a team, the Seattle Spartans, so that should save me some time. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->