BC's First Day Winners and Losers (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
BrooklynCanuck said:
New York Islanders – I think Mike Millbury wanted Blake Wheeler (he said before the draft that he was going to make a big splash with an unexpected selection) and was preempted when Phoenix took him in the top five. Instead he took Petteri Nokelainen, a solid forward who has been a pesky defender in Finland. Nokelainen has some scoring potential as well. Sergei Ogordnikov adds to the European invasion.
Grade: C+

was it Wheeler or Smid?

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/news/milbury062404.html

(June 23)
"We're looking for skilled players who compete," said the Islanders GM from his hotel in North Carolina, where he will spend the next two days and three nights in marathon scouting meetings with scouting director Tony Feltrin and his staff. "That's the main item on our agenda."

Milbury said the Islanders would likely use their first round pick, 16th overall, on the best available player rather than on positional need. However, he did concede the need to build the blueline. "We've added some very skilled forwards through the draft the last few years and we have some key defensemen entering free agency," he said."I have to take a hard look at defense, but I've always felt you have to take the best player regardless of position."

The GM did shed some light on a potential sleeper selection with his first round pick. "We have our eye on a player that we hope, but don't expect, will be there at 16," Milbury said. "He might not be that high on every team's list, but we like him a lot. When I talk to my scouts, they get that twinkle in their eye talking about him. So we'll see."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spisles0627,0,1721243.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines
BY ALAN HAHN
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

June 26, 2004, 10:33 PM EDT

Milbury wouldn't say who was the sleeper on their draft board, but it was believed to be Czech defenseman Ladislav Smid, who was taken ninth by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Milbury made an attempt to move into the top 10 via trade, but there was "nothing doing."

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Chicago had a hell of a day. Caps did ok, but I really didn't like the Chris Bourque selection where they took him.

the Rangers had a pretty good Saturday as well.

The Oilers countered the Dubnyk over Schwartz selection (although the top rated goalies every year get upstaged over the career by someone taken lower) with the great selection at 25 of Robbie Schremp. He is going to make Kuyle 'Goodgrief' Woodlief look like a fool for dogging him like he did over the past 2 years.

Ovechkin, Green, Lepisto, Shultz, Bourque, Hedman, Salonen, Yunkov, Barthel, Guggisberg.

:gman:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I agree with you on the Blues in day one. the Schwarz thing may turn out to make this draft a turning point for this franchise. I also like the fact that all of their picks were listed in the top 60 of the Hockey News Draft preview. Bravo to Pleau Kekalinin and the entire staff.

You seem to know quite a bit about these prospects, How do you think the Blues did on Day 2? What teams seemed to do well there? I know that is tougher to predict the deeper you get into the draft. But how do things look on the surface.

Thanks

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Psycho Joe said:
The Hab's obviously addressed an organizational weakness yesterday by first drafting Chipchura and then trading for Bonk. They were getting killed because of a lack of size down the middle, especially in defensive situations. Everybody with the slightest clue about the Habs current lineup and their prospects knows this. If Chip becomes a player, he should be ready, by the time Bonk's time in Habland is over 3 or 4 years from now.

i was very happy when montreal announced chipchura. he's a favorite of mine and i'm really glad he went to a team and organization that needs him, and where he instantly fills a major hole in prospects.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
aside from disappointed ranger fans putting great emphases on players passed on and goaltender being selected first, generally unknowledgable, this would be the first I've seen that someone has not liked the Ranger's draft

efforts are appreciated but everything else I've read about and seen has me disagreeing with you, I think the Rangers did a B-

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Blew Smoke said:
New Jersey jumps up for Zajac - which Dallas allows to keep out of the Av's clutches.

Nice...

Personally, I was thrilled that this happened. The thought of drafting a kid that is 19 years old and dominating in a lower caliber league than the WHL doesn't appeal to me much at all. (Please don't say that the BCJHL is as good as the WHL...I will laugh at you) On the other hand, David Conte is an astute hockey man so he must feel that Zajac will be able to adjust and thrive under tougher competition (NCAA) next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad