OT: BC wildfire smoke has now reached the Ottawa valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
ds6OTm.jpg

Certainly good for the pine beetle population.. this year the fire numbers are up from last year's record. Almost seems to be getting worse year to year

It is getting worse, some blame improper cut clearing methods, some the elevated temperatures and lack of rain in the interior. Either way, even the island is burning right now.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's almost like there's a reason why these weather related extremities keep occurring, one that a very vocal opposition keeps telling the world doesn't exist, despite all evidence indicating it does.

What on earth are you talking about?

Also, fire is a natural part of the ecosystem there. It gets worse and worse the more we put them out.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

A few molecules and their increasing quantity in our atmosphere.

Also, fire is a natural part of the ecosystem there. It gets worse and worse the more we put them out.
Here's the thing about breaking records every summer, that isn't natural.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Yeah, don’t need tips on forest fires thanks.

I don’t think you fully understand what goes on here, or how it’s been increasing.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
They mentioned during the Redblacks game that it was hazy up in the air with the punts, not sure if that is the forest fire haze or not.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I’m actually in Kelowna rn, leaving back for Ottawa today. Absolutely brutal here (photo attached is at about 2-3pm) good time to head back home....

Attachments

• EEA6D560-0BB3-4C70-BB66-A426E830F797.jpeg
    EEA6D560-0BB3-4C70-BB66-A426E830F797.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 29

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I’m actually in Kelowna rn, leaving back for Ottawa today. Absolutely brutal here (photo attached is at about 2-3pm) good time to head back home....

That's insane. Looks like the aftermath of WWIII in the movies, ro a scene from The Road.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Mass extinction events the earth's history that come after (and as a result of) massive meteor strikes or supervolcano eruptions don't count.
So you are saying the earths temperature never fluctuates outside those major events? Since the ending of the Younger Dryas period the earth's temperatures have fluctuated between 4-7 degrees.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So you are saying the earths temperature never fluctuates outside those major events? Since the ending of the Younger Dryas period the earth's temperatures have fluctuated between 4-7 degrees.

Yes, temperatures go up and down over hundreds of thousands of years...but we're making it change faster. That's the point. We're doing what nature does in 80,000 years in 80 years.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
ds6OTm.jpg

Certainly good for the pine beetle population.. this year the fire numbers are up from last year's record. Almost seems to be getting worse year to year

I've lived in Kelowna, BC for my whole life, it's pretty standard this year based on the hectares burnt. Lots of small fires which is actually good for sustainabilty of forests.

There are some coneheads here in BC that cry for every fire to be put out immediately, obviously costing millions of tax dollars. All this really does is increase possibility of a massive one that cannot be stopped. 2003 was a good example of that (Okanagan Mountain Park fire) where thousands of homes were lost because there was just so much fuel built up from putting out naturally started fires. Unfortunately waking up to ash on our vehicles in the morning is common in August. It's about 9 or 10 on the air quality scale here now. Last year it was 10+, but if the scale was linear and didn't have this strange cap it would be about 40!

okanagan_mountain_fire.jpg

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I've lived in Kelowna, BC for my whole life, it's pretty standard this year based on the hectares burnt. Lots of small fires which is actually good for sustainabilty of forests.

There are some coneheads here in BC that cry for every fire to be put out immediately, obviously costing millions of tax dollars. All this really does is increase possibility of a massive one that cannot be stopped. 2003 was a good example of that (Okanagan Mountain Park fire) where thousands of homes were lost because there was just so much fuel built up from putting out naturally started fires. Unfortunately waking up to ash on our vehicles in the morning is common in August. It's about 9 or 10 on the air quality scale here now. Last year it was 10+, but if the scale was linear and didn't have this strange cap it would be about 40!

View attachment 135171
Terrible!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I still don't get it. I remember decades ago as a kid, I had an uncle in the forestry dept out west, and they used to do controlled fires every year to clear out the brush and tinder (and apparently it helps release seeds for new trees of certain species, iirc?). Are they not doing that anymore?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It's insane.

I was reading not long ago, how First Nations used to set fires every year (long before Euro settlers came along). They would strip the bark of 'undesirable' trees, and the brush, and have controlled burns every year. They made a point to keep a lot of fruit and nut bearing trees (mostly chestnut), and as a result, created incredibly rich forests not only for them, but for wildlife like deer who also eat that food. They basically created a sort of garden of eden, where they had a ton of food, strong trees for building material, and a ruch supply of meat from the animals that benefited from the forest. So simple, yet for some reason, modern day peoples can't seem to figure it out.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's insane.

I was reading not long ago, how First Nations used to set fires every year (long before Euro settlers came along). They would strip the bark of 'undesirable' trees, and the brush, and have controlled burns every year. They made a point to keep a lot of fruit and nut bearing trees (mostly chestnut), and as a result, created incredibly rich forests not only for them, but for wildlife like deer who also eat that food. They basically created a sort of garden of eden, where they had a ton of food, strong trees for building material, and a ruch supply of meat from the animals that benefited from the forest. So simple, yet for some reason, modern day peoples can't seem to figure it out.
I was going to say something a little similar but my uncle who used to work out west said many first nations people deliberately started fires for work. Don't know if it's true or not.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's insane.

If you have to live in nature and rely on nature you are going to pay attention. Good story. People and especially urbanites are evolving further and further from the basic human form and as a result losing instincts and any closeness they once had to nature and its ways. Progress?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes, temperatures go up and down over hundreds of thousands of years...but we're making it change faster. That's the point. We're doing what nature does in 80,000 years in 80 years.
Over the last 1o,000 years the temperature has moved within 7 degrees. over the last 100 year temperatures have risen .8 of a degree. Do fossil fuel contribute, yes, but is it at a catastrophic level, no. If not for fossil fuels temperatures would have risen to the point you are professing and we would have a more serious problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->