Bauer Vapor XXX Skates

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
They're supposedly coming out the 15th on several websites, but are they already out in some stores???

I hear they're $469. Cheaper at least, than what the XX's were when they came out. They look pretty appealing (good thing Christmas is almost here). Can't wait to get out of those pieces of s*** Vector Pros I have. At least I got them for free though.

So are they out yet?

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
I couldnt tell you, I never buy anything right when they come out do to the price. I'm only 14 and if i went an expensive stick I have to buy it myself so I need to save up over a period of time.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
luke34e said:
I couldnt tell you, I never buy anything right when they come out do to the price. I'm only 14 and if i wAnt an expensive stick I have to buy it myself so I need to save up over a period of time.
I just turned 16. I was kinda wanting them for Christmas so I think my mom was gonna maybe get them for me, especially since I've been playing a lot better lately. Vapor XXX's I doubt will go down in price. They overcharge here in FLA. Vapor XX's are still 469 at many rinks and shops when they're 399 everywhere else I think, maybe less. They seem to be an improvement by realizing that they put new holders that don't break as easily on them. 3 kids on my team had the Tuuk Lightspeed holders, one had Vapor XX's, one Nike V12's and the other, Bauer 8000's and they all snapped it multiple times. I'm light though so it wouldn't effect me as much. The blades were designed poorly though if they break that easily. It was so bad that our coach MADE those kids bring backup skates to practices and games. I mean for all the difference a few grams makes, I'd rather have it more durable than breaking.

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
I just turned 16. I was kinda wanting them for Christmas so I think my mom was gonna maybe get them for me, especially since I've been playing a lot better lately. Vapor XXX's I doubt will go down in price. They overcharge here in FLA. Vapor XX's are still 469 at many rinks and shops when they're 399 everywhere else I think, maybe less. They seem to be an improvement by realizing that they put new holders that don't break as easily on them. 3 kids on my team had the Tuuk Lightspeed holders, one had Vapor XX's, one Nike V12's and the other, Bauer 8000's and they all snapped it multiple times. I'm light though so it wouldn't effect me as much. The blades were designed poorly though if they break that easily. It was so bad that our coach MADE those kids bring backup skates to practices and games. I mean for all the difference a few grams makes, I'd rather have it more durable than breaking.

The only thing that changed from the Lightspeeds to the Lightspeed 2 is how they are mounted. The riveting is slightly different. There is no real dramatic change to improve durability.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
HokEGoalie said:
The only thing that changed from the Lightspeeds to the Lightspeed 2 is how they are mounted. The riveting is slightly different. There is no real dramatic change to improve durability.
Really? I mean I had heard different materials were used to make it more durable, but that was probably from Bauer in an advertisment.

If the mounting in changed, would it effect the way the skate feels significantly?

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
Really? I mean I had heard different materials were used to make it more durable, but that was probably from Bauer in an advertisment.

If the mounting in changed, would it effect the way the skate feels significantly?

I personally don't know. However, Bauer/Nike REALLY is lagging behind in the R+D department. Easton is constantly coming out with things that are insanely light and perform great. Mission is using newer technologies in their new Hex-1 sticks. Bauer/Nike are being lazy for the 05 line. The XXX glove is basically just a nylon XX glove with a pair of weaker palms. The XXX stick is just the Inno True-1. The XXX-skates arent a SERIOUS stepup from the XX. Nike's V-14 line is almost unchanged as well. The new Nike protective is as exactly as the old V- line(which isnt a bad thing....just lazy) but has a neon green color.

IMO, CCM/Reebok/whatever they are now and Bauer/Nike, REALLY need to get on the ball and come up with some "wow" stuff because other companies are leaving them in the dust technologically.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think its stupid that companies put perf blades on skates. The pro's don't even use perf blades, they switch to solid blades. Thats my beef with top end Bauers and Nikes. You are guaranteed an expensive blade replacement in a shorter time than one would expect for a $500 skate.

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Thats why they have a warranty on the skates. On my skates, and I assume its the same on most, there is a year warranty for everything. And I think a year and a half for the boot. So my blades broke twice in a year and got all brand new ones both times. Now anything that happens after a year im SOL.

IkeaMonkey*

DaveyCrockett said:
I think its stupid that companies put perf blades on skates. The pro's don't even use perf blades, they switch to solid blades. Thats my beef with top end Bauers and Nikes. You are guaranteed an expensive blade replacement in a shorter time than one would expect for a $500 skate.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eastonhssynergysr.html

Synergy's are perf'd, albeit minorly.

As are Pro Tacks and Vector Pros...

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccmprotackshs.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccmvectorsrskt.html

It's not just Bauer/Nike, every company's top of the liner is perf'd. The only way to get top of the line and no perf is with Graf. Even then you need to deal with their Cobra steel, which has it's share of problems(not to mention the quality of Graf skates overall).

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
HokEGoalie said:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eastonhssynergysr.html

Synergy's are perf'd, albeit minorly.

As are Pro Tacks and Vector Pros...

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccmprotackshs.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccmvectorsrskt.html

It's not just Bauer/Nike, every company's top of the liner is perf'd. The only way to get top of the line and no perf is with Graf. Even then you need to deal with their Cobra steel, which has it's share of problems(not to mention the quality of Graf skates overall).
Fair enough. I'm moreso referring to the terrible durability lightspeed perf's have. I wasn't aware of the warranty.

IkeaMonkey*

DaveyCrockett said:
Fair enough. I'm moreso referring to the terrible durability lightspeed perf's have. I wasn't aware of the warranty.

Naw, not just the lightspeeds, other holders/runners with perf steel break down just as much as well. Especially Vector Pros. Pro Tacks not as much and the synergy hasnt been out long enough to tell.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
HokEGoalie said:
Naw, not just the lightspeeds, other holders/runners with perf steel break down just as much as well. Especially Vector Pros. Pro Tacks not as much and the synergy hasnt been out long enough to tell.
Vector pros are s***.

That's why I need to get the XXX's. Cuz the VP's break down so fast. PLus they're smaller on me too. Graf's G line has Perfed blades. The Vector Pros and Pro tacks have the same perforation.

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
Vector pros are s***.

That's why I need to get the XXX's. Cuz the VP's break down so fast. PLus they're smaller on me too. Graf's G line has Perfed blades. The Vector Pros and Pro tacks have the same perforation.

I know the Graf G line has perf, but the 7 line is also considered "top of the line" and isnt perf.

It's all personal preference with skates, as much as anything. I skate in Vectors and wont go back to Vapors. If the Reebok skates fit like Vectors, I'll go to those too.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I got my XXX's Tuesday as basically a Christmas present, but I had to get them heated and all and we have a tournament over in Naples as I play on South Florida's east coast (incidentally, we have teams coming from Georgia, Oshawa, Port Huron, etc.. and we're playing at the Everblades (ECHL) complex), so I got them earlier so I could get used to them.

I used them in a game last night for the first time after skating for 20 minutes in a seperate practice before the game.

They are the sickest skates I've ever used. It feels like ur wearing a regular shoe they are so light, and they are way lighter than the XX's. I was using the Vector Pro's, but I got so much more power in my stride and I could go so fast that after coming in on a breakaway full speed in the practice, when I peeled off after scoring ;) , I was going so fast that on the turn, it was hard not to run into the boards, but the turning is so good that you don't need to worry.

Best skates ever by far IMHO at least out of what I've used, although I don't like the XXX gloves. I prefer my XX gloves to them. If you have the money and want a great skate, get the XXX's. They will really improve your speed as also, they allowed me to get so much more power in my stride that I didn't get as tired when I skated fast. Like honestly, I went from being #3 or 4 fastest on my team (Midget 18-U travel (just turned 16), to the fastest skater just like that. These skates are sick. I recommend them to anyone who has had Bauers before especially. They are the real deal and are so protective. So so so so good. Sadly, my next practice isn't till Sunday and the tourney doesn't start till Wednesday. All I can do is stare at my skates in my room untill then............... ;) not. But really these skates are unreal. :teach:

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Sorry Im suge a newbie when it comes to ice skates, but what does it mean if the blade is perfed? What skates would you recommend to a beginning ice hockey player? Cheap, reliable, good performance?

IkeaMonkey*

theBob said:
Sorry Im suge a newbie when it comes to ice skates, but what does it mean if the blade is perfed? What skates would you recommend to a beginning ice hockey player? Cheap, reliable, good performance?

Perf'd = the steel is not "whole". Usually when a blade is perferated, you will see cuts between the steel and the holder.

Here's an example....

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hockeymonkey_1823_33656593

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
theBob said:
Not too expensive, around 100-150 dollars, if you're a beginner and go with what feels best. Bauer has the supreme 2090's and I forget what other lower level models, and CCM has Tack series. It depends what you like.

Besides, if you're a beginner, buying expensive skates, which I've seen several beginners do, with hurt you longterm in several ways as with the extra push you can sometimes get, you don't develop your stride as well, and the top of the line skates are stiff in the Bauer line. Plus, it's a waste of money unless you're a high level player.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
If you're on them a lot they don't last (the Bauer XXX). The CCM Vector Pro is lighter and lasts longer.

MUCH better skate in my opinion.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Panthersrule, who do you play for? I used to play for the Brandon icebolts a few years ago. I think they're called "No Bull" now. Then i came up here to michigan to play juniors and go to college.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
eatwake said:
i agree 150%

I had to reply to say I agree too, anyone who tells me that Graf ain't the best thing hasn't tried any. I don't understand what's going on with the company though I guess they were gonne close but never did, I just hope they don't. Also I've heard Sher-Wood was gonna buy Graf, I wish they did

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
jacklours said:
I had to reply to say I agree too, anyone who tells me that Graf ain't the best thing hasn't tried any. I don't understand what's going on with the company though I guess they were gonne close but never did, I just hope they don't. Also I've heard Sher-Wood was gonna buy Graf, I wish they did
I used 705s in 2002-2004 and while they were comfortable, after I switched to Vector Pros last year, there was no comparason. There was so much more ability to take a powerful stride with the Vector Pros compared to the Grafs. The Grafs were nice, but the new skates are way better than the older graf line from 02-04.
I'm sure the new grafs are nice though.

BTW, I like the XXX's a lot after having them for about 2 months now. The durability is a real issue though as the tongue has a cut in it from something and the thing on the inside edge, where the boot meets the toe, the kinda plastic thingy, it broke down really easy. Other than that though, they're reallly good skates, better than Vectors IMO, but I prefer stiffer skates and the Vapors to me are stiffer than the CCMs.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Ti-girl said:
The CCM Vector Pro is lighter and lasts longer.
Having used both back to back, there isn't THAT much of a difference between them. IT's all preference. I really like the XXX's much more than the Vectors, but neither skate for you or anything like that, you still have to do the skating and both help get a nice powerful stride, but I just felt that on the LS2 blades and with a bauer boot, it's much easier to be very agile with like moving your feet quickly stopping and starting like at the hash marks or along the boards. IT's the angle of the skate IMO like how the boot is shaped.

ANd the Vector Pro certainly does not feel lighter than the Vapor when you skate in it AT ALL. When I first used the Vapors going from the Vectors, they felt so light. And the ability to get more out of your stride is better because when skating in them, I was so used to a certain distance with the Vectors, that I had to really try hard to control how fast I was going at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->