Bauer Vapor x:60 Limited Edition Skates

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
It's time for me to get a new pair of skates, I have older model reebok 5k ice skate but compared to the newer model skates my reebok's feel like i'm wearing cinder blocks on my feet. the pro shop near my house has the Bauer Vapor X:60 Limited Edition skates (ironically in my size considering how tough they are to find now) on blowout for $399 (originally $700+ skate). anyway, does anybody have these? the boot is pretty stiff, but with baking and use do they loosen up a bit? is there anything else about them that anyone can tell me? thanks!

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
also, like i mentioned, i currently wear reebok 5k pumps for ice and i wear reebok 8k pumps for roller. I really like the reebok skates, has anybody here made the switch from reebok skates to bauer skates and if so how did it work out for you?

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
also, like i mentioned, i currently wear reebok 5k pumps for ice and i wear reebok 8k pumps for roller. I really like the reebok skates, has anybody here made the switch from reebok skates to bauer skates and if so how did it work out for you?

if you're happy with the fit of your reeboks, the vapors are not for you. completely different fit.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
thanks for the info. the fit of the reebok's are fine, my biggest concern now is the weight of the skate. my reebok's are really heavy compared to the newer model skates. I tried the vapor x60 LE's on today and they were WAY lighter, i'm not quite sure which way to go with new skates?!?!?!

Placebo Effect

Mar 7, 2007
Your Mind
Of course your 5K's will feel heavy, you're comparing a mid-level skate with a top end one. Not to mention newer technology has led to lighter skates as well. Check out the top end Reebok's if you want to see how they compare. You can also try the Bauer Supreme line, although Flexlites might be more for you as well.

How did they feel when you tried them on? But as thedonger said, Vapor's and Reebok aren't really close in terms of fit. Bottom line with skates, you try them on and you take the ones that feel the best. Not the best or cool looking ones.

They will soften up a bit as anything does when you break them in but top end skates are supposed to be really stiff. If you're not a great skater it might not be worth it. In fact, it may be even bad for you.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA
I have the X60 LE's and haven't had a problem with them. I used Easton's before switching over to the X60's. If they fit you good I'd get them for $400, I paid $600 when they first came out. Bottom line with skates though, as others have said, doesn't matter cost, looks, what you want it's what fits YOUR foot. Try them on, if they don't hurt it seems like a solid upgrade from the tanks you were wearing.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
thanks for the all the info, i appreciate it. the x60's felt nice, the only complaint i had with them is that i could feel a little bit of discomfort in the arch of my foot, however it's a never-worn skate so im sure baking them would help that a bit. I've actually heard that if your skate feels TOO perfect out of the box, that can end up being a problem as well. i've only ever worn reebok skates on the ice playing competitively, so i have no basis for comparison. i realize the x60's are a pro-level skate, i'm certainly not a pro level skater, but im not a novice skater either. thanks again!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Vapors are a pretty narrow fit (in the mid/fore foot), while Reeboks are fairly wide, you won't fit both properly. X60s are great skates IF THEY FIT YOU PROPERLY, but if they don't they'll be a terrible purchase. A proper fitting skate should feel snug but not overly tight around your entire foot, with no pain, with your feet not bulging out of the skate, and with your toes just barely feathering the end of the toe cap length-wise, if the X60s you're trying on violate any of these guidlines then they're not right for your feet. If they actually are a great fit (and not you just telling yourself "they'll be fine" because they're on sale) then go for them.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Vapors are a pretty narrow fit (in the mid/fore foot), while Reeboks are fairly wide, you won't fit both properly. X60s are great skates IF THEY FIT YOU PROPERLY, but if they don't they'll be a terrible purchase. A proper fitting skate should feel snug but not overly tight around your entire foot, with no pain, with your feet not bulging out of the skate, and with your toes just barely feathering the end of the toe cap length-wise, if the X60s you're trying on violate any of these guidlines then they're not right for your feet. If they actually are a great fit (and not you just telling yourself "they'll be fine" because they're on sale) then go for them.

Agreed. When I try on skates and feel any kind of pain they go back to the display rack. There really is nothing worse than playing a game we all love with pain in your feet each stride you take. I tried on the One90's cause "I wanted them" and there was instant pain. With the X60's got no pain at all, haven't had a problem. I've asked this question before from some of the equipment guru's-what do you think the percentage is of rec leaguers wearing skates that really aren't made for their specific foot type?

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Agreed. When I try on skates and feel any kind of pain they go back to the display rack. There really is nothing worse than playing a game we all love with pain in your feet each stride you take. I tried on the One90's cause "I wanted them" and there was instant pain. With the X60's got no pain at all, haven't had a problem. I've asked this question before from some of the equipment guru's-what do you think the percentage is of rec leaguers wearing skates that really aren't made for their specific foot type?

A whole lot of them. And then there are guys like me in an even worse situation. I'm wearing a used pair of X:60's that were custom made for one of our players when he played Major Junior last season lol. He got a new pair this year and I took his old pair. They don't fit nearly as well as they should, but for the ~10 times a year I get on the ice they'll do me fine for a few years. I have a foot better suited for Bauer Supremes.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
just to update, I did end up getting the vapor x:60 LE skates. although I have been a reebok guy for a lot of my competitive ice/roller hockey days (that is since RBK joined the hockey world), I was looking for a lighter skate and the rbk was noticeably heavier than the vapors. I have worn them 2 times in ice games already, i added the superfeet insoles and they feel awesome. thanks for all the help.

BadHammy*

Good luck with the foot problems you'll have in a few months. The RBK line is designed for a wider foot with a moderate to slight arch. The Vapor line is similar in the heel but that's where it stops. It's designed for a much higher arch and a narrower forefoot. First, you'll start to have arch pain, then it will spread to the outside of the foot. I made this mistake about 10 years ago. Good times.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
well, knowing that reebok skates are made for wider feet, and that skates have crappy stock insoles (thus causing no arch support), AND that my feet are wider than normal, i got the vapors in EE width. and like i said, i got after-market insoles that are perfect for my individual arch. all thse factors combined, and the fact that i don't even feel like I'm wearing skates, I'm not concerned.

Last edited:

budster

Schoolyard Puck

This. My feet are fairly average and the X60s felt like they were squeezing my foot at its widest point, just below the toes. So I went with the Supremes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad