Bauer skate problem: one edge always goes dull

IslesZoso

Apr 30, 2010
Great Neck, LI
I've had a pair of Bauer Supreme One 80s for almost a year now and love them, but I have one really annoying and perplexing problem.

No matter who or where I get them sharpened, the right outside edge ALWAYS gets dull superfast. After 2 games, the other edges are still quite sharp, but that one particular edge is already gone. This same pattern of wear on my edges happens after EVERY sharpening. Even my skating instructor noticed that whenever I make a tight right-handed turn around the cones, I ALWAYS slip out on that edge.

Could I possibly have a defect here?

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Just the way you skate I guess. Lemme guess it's an inner edge?

My one70s do the same thing.

I'll recommend you a sweet stick to sharpen up that edge before each game. It will save you the hastle of having to sharpen after every game.
2 swipes of the thing should be good.

thanks,

jordan

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Just the way you skate I guess. Lemme guess it's an inner edge?

My one70s do the same thing.

I'll recommend you a sweet stick to sharpen up that edge before each game. It will save you the hastle of having to sharpen after every game.
2 swipes of the thing should be good.

thanks,

jordan

i would get a honing stone instead, much easier to use and if you use the sweet stick wrong or to much your going to ruin your edges

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
honing stone is a good idea too.

oh sorry about assuming it was the inner edge. i can't read apparently.

IslesZoso

Apr 30, 2010
Great Neck, LI
Same sharpener all the time?

Def try the honing stone.

Also, are your skates tied nice and tight? If there was any slop that might be causing issues.

Weird issue though.

That's the weird thing... I use 3 different sharpeners and still have the same problem no matter who does them.

I will check into the honing stone.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I wonder if maybe the blade or holder on that one skate isn't properly aligned?

That's a good point as well.

Another thing you can do to make sure the edges are even when you go to your sharpener(s) is to ask if they could show you the level of the edges with a gauge (Bat gauges should be common everywhere).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Do you know the "quarter trick" to make sure your edges are level? Lay a quarter on the edges, look to make sure your edges seem to be perpendicular to the blade (note: ignore the holder, which is not symmetrical, just concentrate on the blade itself). AFAIK if your sharpeners are just using witness marks to sharpen then they won't necessarily be correcting an off-center sharpen.

Other possibilities:
1) Maybe your right foot is supinated/underpronated? If so, you'd need a custom orthotic. If you think this might be the problem, go to a pedorthist
2) Are you sure the edge is dull? Sometimes people lose an edge because the edge is dull/gone, but sometimes the edge itself is fine and you slide out just due to poor technique
3) Maybe there IS something wrong with your steel, in which case new steel is reasonably inexpensive
4) Do you regularly do something that would adversely affect this edge, for example, maybe if you're regularly stopping up close to the boards to receive breakout passes or whatever you're getting too close to the boards and letting your outside edge slam into them? Or as another poster suggested, maybe something to do with slamming down on that edge when you put your skates on? Or do you maybe sometimes walk on non-ice-or-rubber surfaces with your skates on?
5) Do you put skate guards on your blades when you put them in your hockey bag?

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Another thing to investigate would be the storage of your skates when they're not in use or your method of transportation. If they're always left in a place where that edge rests against something that could cause rust, or if they're transported in something that could rub them and dull the blade, that might explain it too. Just an idea.

IslesZoso

Apr 30, 2010
Great Neck, LI
Thanks guys.

I had the skate instructor watch my technique into the turn and he detected nothing wrong. I use rubber skate guards and I'm pretty careful about not slamming my skates down anywhere, on-ice or off.

I'm going with the idea that maybe the steel/blade holder are not properly aligned, or a problem with the steel itself. I'll go to a pro shop and have them take a close look at it.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
It is probably just bad steel. Go and get a new set. My guess is at some point early in the life of the skate your sharpener overheated the blade. That can cause the steel to easily lose an edge, and could explain why it is always the same area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad