Bauer Nexus Fit

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
hi all,

I just got some Nexus 2N skates to replace the Supreme ONE90 skates I’ve had for the last 10 or 11 years. I went up a half size as the 7.5 were too small but after skating the 8 feel a little big and I had awful skate cramps!

I bought some speed plates and hoping this will remedy my issue - I also went from not wearing socks to wearing them so going to try without next time I skate. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar thing? Not sure if it’s just that I had my old skates for so long that these just feel weird because they are so new and feel weird.

Any thoughts welcome

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Did you go into a store to get sized and measured with a brannock?

The Nexus line is for people with feet that are wide and need more volume. I don't have direct experience with the Supreme ONE90 skates, but generally speaking, the Supreme line is narrower and has less volume.

For me, I have a pair of S190s and a N9000s in the same size. For me to make the Nexus skates work, I had to add padding to make the heel area more narrow to get proper heel lock, and I had to use power foot inserts to cut down on the vertical space in the toe box. After, the skates fit fine for me.

Going from a Supreme fit to a Nexus and going up a half size, I'm leaning towards saying your skates are too big.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
Thanks for the reply puckpilot.

I do have wide feet and had to have the widest fitting in my ONE90 and have a narrower width in my 2N. I had my feet measured on some fancy Bauer machine that produces a 3D scan of the foot and recommends Vapour / Supreme / Nexus based on the scan of your feet - it recommended 7.5 D Nexus are the skates for me but the 7.5 just felt tiny and crushed my toes so I opted for the 8 and had them heat moulded in store.

I do share the same opinion though and think they may be on the big side, which will be an expensive mistake!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The feedback I've been gathering is that those Bauer fit machines aren't great. It's an interesting test to see but shouldn't replace a competent skate fitter and your own intuition. It sounds like whoever sold you the skates just defaulted to the fit scanner recommendation.

Did you even get to try other fits in store? Supreme like your old skates?

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
Yea, the guy in the shop said they aren’t always right and his skate size is .5 different to the machine.

I went in wanting the 1x as they are a good looking skate and having Bauer skates all my life (bar an awesome pair of Graf many years ago) but they felt awful and didn’t suit my foot at all which prompted the machine to come into play and the Nexus recommendation.

The skates felt fine in the shop, slight more wiggle room in the toes which was welcome as my supremes were super cosy and uncomfortable.

I’m not using the skates until Wednesday this week and going to go back to no socks to see if that helps at all. Hope I’ve not wasted £600+ ‍♂️

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Did you bake them?

bauer-skate-comparison.jpg

Nexus isn't only wider forefoot, its a volume fit from heel to toe.

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
Starting to think supremes would have been the better choice...yep they were indeed baked. May take them for a rebake depending on how I get in with them over the next couple of sessions.

Definitely looks like supreme would have been better.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think since you baked them that voids any possibility of a return. Unless you baked them somewhere else from where you bought em and you act like they're still brand new.

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
If they do turn out to be too big I’ll just have to take the hit on them and sell them and get some properly fitting skates.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
If they do turn out to be too big I’ll just have to take the hit on them and sell them and get some properly fitting skates.

Some stores have a return policy that allow you to exchange skates if they don't fit right. Have you asked your shop about what their return policies are?

A local shop where I live has a 30 day fit guarantee. They'll take back the skates even after sharpening and baking and taking a few skates on them. Obviously, the skates still have to be in perfect condition, but you can either go back and exchange for another pair of skates or get store credit.

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
I haven’t as yet, I will ask them what their policy is although I’d imagine it will be the standard once baked / sharpened you’re on your own.

Sooooo does anyone want a pair of 8D 2N skates? Hahaha

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
In what respect did they feel too big? And what do you mean by skate cramps? If you are a Supreme fit and you use Nexus you might see a lack of heel lock, or too much depth, and I assume the latter means they are hard to do up.

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
They feel as though the ‘height’ of the toe cap is too much so there’s too much volume there and as you say I don’t feel like my heel doesn’t ‘lock’ in as there is some movement there.

When I tried them on before baking, I put this down to them needing baking to mould to my foot and thought that would sort it as it had been so long since I last had new skates.

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
Does anyone know the best place to sell hockey kit in the UK? Just going to sell them and cut my losses.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
The lack of heel lock sounds bad. Sadly.

My understanding is that thermoforming (baking) tends to loosen the skate where needed, not tighten it. I am sure others more knowledgeable than me can chime in. According to comments on the ModSquadHockey forum, you can use a clamp to get a better heel lock, but don't try it without doing research, you could easily damage the skates.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've never heard of a clamp method, but it sounds like a recipe for disaster for those who don't know what they're doing and don't have the right tools; which is the vast majority of people. Just sell it.

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
I am just going to sell them and get something more suitable, probably 2S as the supreme range clearly suits my foot better.

Thinking of asking 450 GBP inc the speed plates and shipping? Does anyone know the best place to advertise them in the uk?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I am just going to sell them and get something more suitable, probably 2S as the supreme range clearly suits my foot better.

Thinking of asking 450 GBP inc the speed plates and shipping? Does anyone know the best place to advertise them in the uk?

There is a Facebook group for surplus ice hockey kit, you could try that. But I would have thought that spreading the word among friends and rec teams would be the best bet, people are often on the look out for a bargain, as long as you don't have killer foot odour. :)

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
Haha, I could always get a shoe bomb haha.

Thanks mate I’ve put them on a few Facebook pages and I’ll probably give everyone’s favourite auction site a try too.

Hockeytattoo13

Jan 6, 2019
Thought I’d give you an update. Went back to the shop and they have agreed to take the skates back and fitted me up for some Supreme 2S - which feel worlds apart. Thanks for everyone’s advice, I’m glad I didn’t just soldier on with them as they would have hurt forever!

Reactions: AIREAYE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad