TV: Batwoman (CW) - season 2

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Robert Pattinson was getting backlash for not working out for Batman, so it's not like the public only cares about the looks of women in certain roles.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Robert Pattinson was getting backlash for not working out for Batman, so it's not like the public only cares about the looks of women in certain roles.
That's fair.

I still think women are FAR more complicated / evolved than men. Guys are a notch above having our knuckles dragging on the ground.

It is what it is and I'm happy to be a guy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's fair.

I still think women are FAR more complicated /evolved than men. Guys are a notch above having our knuckles drag on the ground.

It is what it is.
I still think most of the backlash are from the male fans. Batman should be pretty physically fit, it won't make or break the role IMO, but it definitely helps. I'm not claiming it's only the women upset that he won't be buff.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I still think most of the backlash are from the male fans. Batman should be pretty physically fit, it won't make or break the role IMO, but it definitely helps. I'm not claiming it's only the women upset that he won't be buff.
I'll take your word for it. I haven't watched a Batman movie since the 2nd one with Danny DeVito and the BEAUTIFUL Michelle Pfeiffer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And fans would be outraged if Thor was a jacked guy like Chris Hemsworth, in the same way if they casted Rebel Wilson as Black Widow. Stars/leads in these types of movies should have high beauty/physical standards, and IMO they are applied equally.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
To me there were some good elements in the show, the main villainess was a decent character and the actress was good. Some of the secondary characters were good and well acted.

You could put a cowl on a brick and have a stage hand just throw it at bad guys and it would give a better acting performance then Ruby who is pretty much the same thing in every role that she plays.

Hopefully they get an actress to replace her that has range.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To me there were some good elements in the show, the main villainess was a decent character and the actress was good. Some of the secondary characters were good and well acted.

You could put a cowl on a brick and have a stage hand just throw it at bad guys and it would give a better acting performance then Ruby who is pretty much the same thing in every role that she plays.

Hopefully they get an actress to replace her that has range.

It was said that her best role was a mute in John Wick 2. Its true!

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
All of what you wrote is fair. I'd add...

1) They need to stop remaking male movies with women because it doesn't work. Remaking Ghost Busters with a female cast, redoing Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with a female cast, redoing What Women Want with a female lead...

What's the point? It's stupid and then they are surprised when it doesn't work.

2) 90% of guys want to see a woman they are attracted to. We are visual creatures and that is NOT going to change. Having a hard looking, oddly featured Ruby Rose is NOT going to get guys to tune in. They didn't and now she's out.

Just like starring tom boy looking Kristen Stewart did not get guys to see Charlie's Angels, while having pretty Cameron Diaz shake her bum in 2000 did. It's NOT rocket science!

Simply put : Guys are NOT going to pay money to see Beanie Feldstein? NOT EVER!

3) Give us something completely original. How many times do they have to remake Emma or Little Women?

Hollywood spent a fortune making "female centric" movies in 2019 and people did NOT go to those movies - the proof is in the movies listed 2 posts above.

However, guys did go to see Hustlers with Jennifer Lopez playing a stripper. Hmmm... I wonder why.

1) Agree with your point. It's all about something that makes sense storywise not for an agenda and it goes both ways. If it's a direct sequel with the daughter or son of a loved character, ok that's cool. Isn't that what the new MacGuyver show is about? I know video games aren't in the same category as movies but the new Streets of Rage game #4 that came out a few weeks ago, one of the main characters is Cherry Hunter who is Adam from part 1 and 2's daughter. That's cool.

2) It can work both ways. I'm not attracted to Amy Schumer or Catherine Tate, but both have been in very successful movies or tv series. Tate especially is very talented as a comedian and drama actress. I am attracted to Taraji P Henson and like you mentioned What Men Want did OK not great while Proud Mary was a really cool idea that bombed and was not that good of a movie. All about content. Melissa McCarthy has had her hits and misses. On the other end, J Lo did well with Hustlers, but she's been in two of the biggest bombs all-time in Gigli and Jersey Girl.

The Charlie's Angels remake was just dumb. It failed on launch and it has nothing to do with Kristen Stewart's look. She was the biggest star which was 1/5 of the problem because she was never that big of a star to begin with, it had a tv budget, and was too soon to remake. When Diaz/Liu/Barrymore did it, all three of those actresses were much more well known and in prime time to commercial America than Stewart was. I'd argue Liu is more well known now for Elementary (which has been over a year) than Stewart ever was.

3) That's the biggest problem of Hollywood the last five years. It's a cycle. Original content isn't allowed very often. And why is that? It goes back to those B-tier production companies/producers in the 70s-90s who were doing crazy left field stuff like Orion, Cannon, Dino De Laurentis. All of those companies either went bankrupt or were bought out by conglomerates who are publicly traded and also own properties in other industries. Disney owns Star Wars and Marvel, Warner DC, etc. They're not going to hire left field people like De Laurentis or a Lloyd Kaufman. They're going to want to push the properties they have and commercialize them. So they'd rather reboot Batman 17 times and hope they bat .200 then try an original Jason Statham character or a Jackie Chan like film. They also have shareholders and sponsors to please many of who have agendas so they'll do films like Ghostbusters 2016 or What Men Want to keep them happy. And the final factor is nostalgia and short attention spans. They figure the majority of the 25-50 year-old demographic rather see something they remember and will pay to get in rather than take the time to learn something new. That's where you get reboots upon reboots upon reboots.

That demographic grew up reading comics which were super hot from 1986-late 90s so lets do more of those movies and bring them to life. They've essentially replaced the previous generation of action starts like the Stallone/Schwazerneger/Norris/Chan/Seagal/Van Damme.

I can say a lot more about this but for time's sake I'll stop. I'll end with the model was non sustainable and it was going to fade away in the 2020s regardless, but covid has sped this up. Hollywood and content is going to be very different once the world goes back to normal.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
1) Agree with your point. It's all about something that makes sense storywise not for an agenda and it goes both ways. If it's a direct sequel with the daughter or son of a loved character, ok that's cool. Isn't that what the new MacGuyver show is about? I know video games aren't in the same category as movies but the new Streets of Rage game #4 that came out a few weeks ago, one of the main characters is Cherry Hunter who is Adam from part 1 and 2's daughter. That's cool.

2) It can work both ways. I'm not attracted to Amy Schumer or Catherine Tate, but both have been in very successful movies or tv series. Tate especially is very talented as a comedian and drama actress. I am attracted to Taraji P Henson and like you mentioned What Men Want did OK not great while Proud Mary was a really cool idea that bombed and was not that good of a movie. All about content. Melissa McCarthy has had her hits and misses. On the other end, J Lo did well with Hustlers, but she's been in two of the biggest bombs all-time in Gigli and Jersey Girl.

The Charlie's Angels remake was just dumb. It failed on launch and it has nothing to do with Kristen Stewart's look. She was the biggest star which was 1/5 of the problem because she was never that big of a star to begin with, it had a tv budget, and was too soon to remake. When Diaz/Liu/Barrymore did it, all three of those actresses were much more well known and in prime time to commercial America than Stewart was. I'd argue Liu is more well known now for Elementary (which has been over a year) than Stewart ever was.

3) That's the biggest problem of Hollywood the last five years. It's a cycle. Original content isn't allowed very often. And why is that? It goes back to those B-tier production companies/producers in the 70s-90s who were doing crazy left field stuff like Orion, Cannon, Dino De Laurentis. All of those companies either went bankrupt or were bought out by conglomerates who are publicly traded and also own properties in other industries. Disney owns Star Wars and Marvel, Warner DC, etc. They're not going to hire left field people like De Laurentis or a Lloyd Kaufman. They're going to want to push the properties they have and commercialize them. So they'd rather reboot Batman 17 times and hope they bat .200 then try an original Jason Statham character or a Jackie Chan like film. They also have shareholders and sponsors to please many of who have agendas so they'll do films like Ghostbusters 2016 or What Men Want to keep them happy. And the final factor is nostalgia and short attention spans. They figure the majority of the 25-50 year-old demographic rather see something they remember and will pay to get in rather than take the time to learn something new. That's where you get reboots upon reboots upon reboots.

That demographic grew up reading comics which were super hot from 1986-late 90s so lets do more of those movies and bring them to life. They've essentially replaced the previous generation of action starts like the Stallone/Schwazerneger/Norris/Chan/Seagal/Van Damme.

I can say a lot more about this but for time's sake I'll stop. I'll end with the model was non sustainable and it was going to fade away in the 2020s regardless, but covid has sped this up. Hollywood and content is going to be very different once the world goes back to normal.
^^ Well written. ^^

#2 gave me something to think about when I was exercising and I came up for a question for you...

Name 1 actress who's career got better after she came out as Lesbian.

Before you say Kristen Stewart...

K.S. has been doing nothing but "Independent" movies ("Independent" meaning inexpensive and something few will see) since she came "out", and the 2 times she went main stream (Charlies Angels and UnderWater), both bombed BIG time.

Anyway, I tried to think of one actress, and I couldn't.

Off the top of my head, 3 actresses who's careers died after they came out :

Jodie Foster
Portia de Rossi
Ellen Page

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
^^ Well written. ^^

#2 gave me something to think about when I was exercising and I came up for a question for you...

K.S. has been doing nothing but "Independent" movies ("Independent" meaning inexpensive and something few will see) since she came "out", and the 2 times she went main stream (Charlies Angels and UnderWater), both bombed BIG time.

Jodie Foster
Portia de Rossi
Ellen Page

Thank you. Interesting observation about #2 never really thought about that. I just never cared for Stewart. Her, Emma Stone, Kat Dennings, just never cared for that generation of actresses. I liked Olivia Thurlby more than Dennings but it seems they were going for the same roles and Denings won.

Ellen Page could be even bigger if the X-Men series let her do more. Imagine Days Of The Futures Past actually focused on Shadowcat like the comics did. Still love that movie and it's probably the best one they ever made, but it was obvious why they went with Wolverine for the $toryline.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
^^ Well written. ^^

Jodie Foster
Portia de Rossi
Ellen Page

Kristen Stewart isn't a great actress at all, she's the same in every role, she might as well change her name to the dead eyed emotionally dead girl.

I think her career kind of died because people looked at her and went, she can't carry a major motion picture and in every role she plays in she looks like she'd rather be anywhere else.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Kristen Stewart isn't a great actress at all, she's the same in every role, she might as well change her name to the dead eyed emotionally dead girl.

I think her career kind of died because people looked at her and went, she can't carry a major motion picture and in every role she plays in she looks like she'd rather be anywhere else.
I don't mind her. She was good in the movie Underwater.

I find her alluring / even sexy but I would not pay money to see her.

I always thought Ellen Page was ADORABLE but I lost interest when she came "out".

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The writing is cringe level bad and Ruby Rose is an extremely limited actress who hasn't got the talent to drive a television series imo

If I was tasked to sort it out I'd start with the writing room first then hire the best possible actress for the lead role no matter what color or sexual orientation she has

I think you can make a successful television series with "social justice" themes but that can't be all it has going for it

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Sounds like they have hired one of the actresses from God Friended me to be the new star.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sounds like they have hired one of the actresses from God Friended Me to be the new star.
She's a Christian. Dare I hope a Catholic?

If she's the latter, I might actually watch the show.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad