BattleTech - Tactical Mech Combat Game from Hairbrained Schemes

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It’s probably because Firestarter can force you to shut down. There’s two heat limits, one where you are damaged and a higher limit where you have to shut down. It’s pretty hard to get there on your own (in most cases you have to shoot when you’re already pretty overheated).

I'll have to try forcing a shutdown and seeing if that trips it too. Kind of an annoying bug. I either have to auto-win the mission via debug editor or load and do it again.

So now I'm just super paranoid of Firestarters and shoot them first even if it costs me :laugh:

I did just get a Kingcrab mech, weird beast :laugh: Somehow managed to survive unexpectedly taking 2 AC20 shots to my mech and was able to headshot it down first. I also totally ran out of AC ammo on my Jagermech during that mission and had to charge with it :laugh:

I have to say along the lines of what Troy said, I don't particularly enjoy playing with the ultra heavy assault mechs so far. Even the semi-mobile ones are kinda pokey.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I have to say along the lines of what Troy said, I don't particularly enjoy playing with the ultra heavy assault mechs so far. Even the semi-mobile ones are kinda pokey.

They throw so much spam at you later on that the amount of armor becomes necessary. Evasion stops being super useful. My current lance is a Gauss Highlander with an Atlas and 2x King Crabs, all 3 with AC10+++ instead of 20s

Battletech is my jam and has been for 20 years. The game is a good base to start with, but it's pretty rough around the edges. It desperately needs the Paradox long life treatment.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
They throw so much spam at you later on that the amount of armor becomes necessary. Evasion stops being super useful. My current lance is a Gauss Highlander with an Atlas and 2x King Crabs, all 3 with AC10+++ instead of 20s

I'm not quite far enough along to have that many heavier mechs. I just got past the mission where you are granted a free Lostech mech.
I have the Highlander but I'm trying to avoid using it since it seems kinda cheesy that I was just granted it :laugh:
So I'm mostly using that aforementioned King Crab, an Orion, A Grasshopper, and either a armored up Jager with 3 AC5s or a Kintaro.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

Battletech is my jam and has been for 20 years. The game is a good base to start with, but it's pretty rough around the edges. It desperately needs the Paradox long life treatment.

Yea I have been finding my interests waning a bit. Maybe it is because the game just turns into a slugfest but early game there is a little more tactics involved. I am just before the lostech mission and have an Orion (with an AC/20++ that destroys anyone with a called shot to the back CT), a Jagermech, and three Thunderbolts. Sometimes I mix in a Centurion LRM boat. But I am rolling in cash and rarely have trouble with the missions.

Should probably look into difficulty mods as I don't think I have the self control for self imposed rules.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
As you all speak of it, I've reached the point evasion stops helping. I cruised the early/mid game with heat efficient, armored, medium mechs with full jumps jets. 85% of my moves were "Jump, face, fire" and i was cruising. Now? I'm getting sensor locked early or running into pilots equal to mine (accurate).

Quick spoiler question: How long is the campaign? Ie, how many missions? I want to save it a bit and I'm now running a hybrid medium/heavy lance but I'm curious how many missions might be left before there's "nothing to do".

I just did the mission where you control Kamea or what ever her name is and have myself an assault mech. Really got into that mission with the story between the two deployments for some reason. Just want to know how far away I am before I keep going through priority missions. Try not to spoil story but a general idea if there's like 1/2 left or 4/5, you know what I mean

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I'm already bored. There just isn't enough content here.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
As you all speak of it, I've reached the point evasion stops helping. I cruised the early/mid game with heat efficient, armored, medium mechs with full jumps jets. 85% of my moves were "Jump, face, fire" and i was cruising. Now? I'm getting sensor locked early or running into pilots equal to mine (accurate).

Quick spoiler question: How long is the campaign? Ie, how many missions? I want to save it a bit and I'm now running a hybrid medium/heavy lance but I'm curious how many missions might be left before there's "nothing to do".

I just did the mission where you control Kamea or what ever her name is and have myself an assault mech. Really got into that mission with the story between the two deployments for some reason. Just want to know how far away I am before I keep going through priority missions. Try not to spoil story but a general idea if there's like 1/2 left or 4/5, you know what I mean

Maybe 4-5 priority missions left.

Reactions: Bocephus86

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So one more annoyance for the pile:
When you assemble a mech via scrap after a battle and the interface comes up saying which one do you want to replace/store/scrap, it does not indicate to you which mechs are the ones you have customized. If I have two Grasshoppers and I want to store one, I have no way to tell (unless I remember what the firepower amount is or something) which mech has all my custom bits on it. So if I accidentally pick the wrong one, I have to refit the other mech.

It's also very dumb that salvage assembled mechs get free weapons. It totally disincentives ever bringing a mech out of storage really both because you don't get the weapons if you store it and when you bring it out it takes additional time to refit since they come out of storage blank. It's almost like no one tested this.

The game undermines quite a lot of its own mechanics this way actually. A few more examples:
Player character can't die, cool but if you get 5 injuries it's gonna take you 8 years to heal so you might as well load anyway.

The salvage vs money system in negotiation - So in theory you can take less money or less salvage or both for reputation benefits. But the reputation positives you won't see until later and they aren't good enough to outweigh the initial benefits of more salvage/money early in the game for the snowball effect. This feels more like a half baked mechanic than one that's completely undermined, but it could be somewhat fixed by exaggerating the effects on both ends. Bigger rep bonuses for taking a discount on missions (but the faction on the other side should get really mad about that) and better discounts in the store.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's also very dumb that salvage assembled mechs get free weapons. It totally disincentives ever bringing a mech out of storage really both because you don't get the weapons if you store it and when you bring it out it takes additional time to refit since they come out of storage blank. It's almost like no one tested this.

The game undermines quite a lot of its own mechanics this way actually. A few more examples:
Player character can't die, cool but if you get 5 injuries it's gonna take you 8 years to heal so you might as well load anyway.

They are stock weapons, which you should be replacing anyways not that far in. When you send it to storage, it strips the weapons and puts them back into your pool. Given the amount of mechs you accrue gets kinda absurd mid to late game (and selling stored mechs becomes a big part of keeping your cash going), I think the system works. Once you reach the max mech bay it's all about min-maxxing your bench and selling everything else.

Speaking of bench depth - for some reason you can have up to 24 mechwarriors but this isn't ever needed once you have the upgraded med bays. You need 8 pros at most. They really need an 'away team' APEX mission style thing where you can lease out mechs and pilots to either perform missions or do small contracts on their own with the various factions and houses. It would give you a reason to care more about mechs past your chosen lance and more about pilots outside your chosen group. It'd also really bring the COMPANY element back into the game, which at one point just completely fades away as you are awash in everything and wanting for very little.

They need to get the game to a point where you can have a 'random start' option where you get a ship, a random group of mechs and pilots, and start in a random area of the galaxy. If they can make that start + the business aspect of the game compelling, they've got a good base to build from. They aren't there yet.

Some of the misisons are just straight up horseshit, like anything involve a convoy or an assassinate mission that doesn't trigger well. There's a lot of work to be done. I hope Paradox can steer them in the right direction on this. There's endless possibilities for DLC and a long life to the game.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
So one more annoyance for the pile:
When you assemble a mech via scrap after a battle and the interface comes up saying which one do you want to replace/store/scrap, it does not indicate to you which mechs are the ones you have customized. If I have two Grasshoppers and I want to store one, I have no way to tell (unless I remember what the firepower amount is or something) which mech has all my custom bits on it. So if I accidentally pick the wrong one, I have to refit the other mech.

The salvage vs money system in negotiation - So in theory you can take less money or less salvage or both for reputation benefits. But the reputation positives you won't see until later and they aren't good enough to outweigh the initial benefits of more salvage/money early in the game for the snowball effect. This feels more like a half baked mechanic than one that's completely undermined, but it could be somewhat fixed by exaggerating the effects on both ends. Bigger rep bonuses for taking a discount on missions (but the faction on the other side should get really mad about that) and better discounts in the store.

First point, just rename your 'Mechs. You can do it on the 'Mech bay entrance screen (near where you change the pattern). Then you'll be able to tell.

HBS hasn't really commented on the second one (they're not like Paradox in the sense they respond to design debates on the forums), but from their perspective on the issue of difficulty, you can see why they did it. First, by having to build up a 'Mech from scratch, you're basically making it impossible to field new 'Mechs at the start. Second, it's very good for new players to be able to get a new 'Mech ready to go right after a contract. People hate that games cater to "casuals", but BattleTech has a very steep learning curve. You should scare away lots of players without these features. Currently, you can strip a 'Mech yourself and simulate that it came with no weapons (you almost certainly have all the same weapons anyway, and if you don't, you can always sell them because they're more or less worthless). I'm willing to bet on an Ironman mode that HBS said they're working on for the summer, this is going to be a feature.

The reason the player character can't die is because it would be instant game over. The story works around Kamea hiring you because she knows you. They talked about medical retirement that might make it into an ironman mode (i.e. you don't die but you are medically unfit to pilot a 'Mech).

The way I've interpreted the reputation slider is for post-game contracts. You have a few factions that offer very few contracts, and when you're seeing mostly 4 1/2 and 5 star missions, you're going to be gated by reputation to take the big ones (all the major houses have missions that require allied status and 1000 MRB rating). Rather than having to jump around the map searching for the lower tiered missions to build rep, you can take only rep to build it quickly.

Absolutely the game could use more fleshing out, but they needed to get the game out now to make some revenue so they could gauge the player response to the game (which has been positive) and whether it's financially viable to make more content. There's a lot they can do with missions specifically and that's something they've mentioned in post-release roadmaps. Talked about multi-tiered missions, missions where you fight "unique" groups (other mercenaries, elite guards, famous pirates) who will remember you, diverse mission types, etc.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I'd really like a dynamic campaign of the clan invasion. Something like they used to have in the best flight sims.
e: Some big planets and Takyyid need to be fully represented at least.
e2: There's also going to be a massive challenge to come up with algorithms that will choose optimal configuration in omnimechs against the player.
e3: yeah I think the Clan invasion is by far the most interesting era of Battletech.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I've personally shelved the game until an expansion comes out. Would really like a sandbox mode with a random start as well, no story missions.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I modded the game to give more missions & to not scale planet difficulty with the main story missions about halfway through my last campaign, based on a reddit thread (I thought they just kept getting hard the more "right" you went, didn't realize the center was the hard area). Second decision was stupid as I basically capped out at heavy mechs (only assaults I ever saw were in story missions); got annoying/frustrating so I've shelved it until I can justify a restart. This patch, if all goes smooth, may be the justification I need.

Anyone know if/how to skip the beginning tutorial? Doing that annoying mission for an hour or so is part of why I've held off thus far (I know its not much, but I don't have much time to game so that's like half of a game night for me now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad