Online Series: Battlestar Galactica reboot in the works at NBC's streaming service

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm up for it, have just restarted watching the 2004 series again. Seems like everyone is getting into the streaming business.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm somewhat intrigued, but I doubt I get that streaming service, so won't matter in the end.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Reboot of a reboot. So that's where we're at now.

I did really enjoy the last BSG, though hopefully this time they actually have an idea of how they want the series to end. That final season was a mess.

Ugh I forgot about that. I loved the show so much up until the season 3 finale.

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
Saved by the Bell is also getting rebooted. I've never seen an episode.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Up until the series finale RDM's BSG was just about the finest science fiction we've ever had. I honestly don't know why they would reboot it now, RDM's BSG was released in 2003 making it relatively new still. RDM's BSG also had the benefit of being a reboot of a super cheesy, campy, star wars clone that was objectively a terrible show, even for it's time.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
NVM, it seems that Sam came out and said it wouldn't be a reboot, but a different story within RDM's universe.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Up until the series finale RDM's BSG was just about the finest science fiction we've ever had. I honestly don't know why they would reboot it now, RDM's BSG was released in 2003 making it relatively new still. RDM's BSG also had the benefit of being a reboot of a super cheesy, campy, star wars clone that was objectively a terrible show, even for it's time.
Totally agree, while I can understand why some people didn't like the ending, nuBSG is a great example of rebooting a failed series. I also think it still looks pretty good considering how old it is. (also it was Syfy Original show too, heh)

If the showrunners think they have a great somewhat original idea of how to do BSG, cool. I wish them all the success in that endeavor. But I feel like this is just typical branding cash-in.

Edit: Nevermind, it's apparently another story set in the universe... okay... stupid headlines.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't they try that Caprica spin off? It bombed hard from what I recall.

they did, I liked it as it had a good cast but was slow, which didn't bother me at all but I must be one of the only ones that enjoyed it.

They also did Blood and Chrome which was supposed to be a season but ended up being just 90 minutes. Haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Too many reboot or remakes of things being made.

A remake of the Original Battlestar Galactica series ended 10 years ago if your going to remake or reboot something you should give it more time to pass before doing so.

Hate the idea of another Battlestar Galactica being made especially with the current political climate which will effect things for the worst.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Why the frak would anyone want to do this?

Honestly, though. How the hell could anyone add anything to this show that'd make it better. It's the greatest sci-fi show ever, imo, and ahead of its time. More power to them, but man the show runner has big shoes to fill. Would be better if they just spent the money and time making a new sci-fi series rather than rebooting an already rebooted tv show.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Too many reboot or remakes of things being made.

A remake of the Original Battlestar Galactica series ended 10 years ago if your going to remake or reboot something you should give it more time to pass before doing so.

Hate the idea of another Battlestar Galactica being made especially with the current political climate which will effect things for the worst.

The Battlestar Galactica remake was frakking awesome from top to bottom and there's no way they manage to make something as good as that. Not only were the tone and narration on point, the camera work really good, the special effects well done, if a bit minimalistic, but the acting was absolutely stellar overall and Gaius Baltar's actor in particular was superb, complex and deep in his portrayal of his character's waxing and waning psyche and inner conflicts.

I guess that NBC wants to be able to battle the two (possibly three) confirmed GoT spin-offs by HBO, LOTR in five seasons by Amazon, Wheel of Time series staged by Sony, and possibly Kingkiller Chronicles spinoff by Lionsgate as well as all the top-draw shows right now for viewership in the near future, but it's gonna be a tall order to do that from content that has already been re-made pretty much to perfection already barely ten years ago.

At best we get something that's similar in quality to what we saw ten years ago, which is good, but not really ground-breaking.

At worst we end up with a situation reminiscent of Star Wars', a genre-defining franchise being run into the ground for cash by greedy corporate A-holes working for the greediest entertainment company of all, with no conscience or love for the original content's soul, lore and characters.

All-in-all, this ''new Battlestar'' endeavor doesn't seem worth the effort to me and there are too many interesting stories that a movie-producing company could exploit and put on the small screen for fans to see that haven't been adapted yet and deserve that honor.

Off the top of my head, a single viewpoint and inner narrator's take on Martha Wells' ''Murderbot Diaries'' with the sci-fi feel and experience could be both critically and publically well-received. And that's just one idea out of the countless numbers lying around there in wait for the right crew, screenwriters and budget.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
The NBSG was frakking legendary.

The political element and echoes of touching upon current issues ( at the time), coupled with brilliant acting by so many characters making you absolutely tied to them when events occur was fantastic. The space battles were the best bar none of any Sci-Fi in recent memory.

Col. Tigh was played so frakking well, along with Baltar and Roslin.

I hated the ending though....the Galactica, its back broken after that last jumop from the destruction of the Cylon base, hull plates peeling off onto our moon...should have crested over its horizon and seen the ISS, and a modern shuttle launch should have been depicted..end it with finding modern Earth. Not 150,000 years ago and Anders flying all tech and the RTF into the Sun.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The NBSG was frakking legendary.

The political element and echoes of touching upon current issues ( at the time), coupled with brilliant acting by so many characters making you absolutely tied to them when events occur was fantastic. The space battles were the best bar none of any Sci-Fi in recent memory.

Col. Tigh was played so frakking well, along with Baltar and Roslin.

I hated the ending though....the Galactica, its back broken after that last jumop from the destruction of the Cylon base, hull plates peeling off onto our moon...should have crested over its horizon and seen the ISS, and a modern shuttle launch should have been depicted..end it with finding modern Earth. Not 150,000 years ago and Anders flying all tech and the RTF into the Sun.

It was a predestination paradox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->