Battlefield V (2018)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is this game worth buying for $24? I haven't been huge on shooters lately but have enjoyed pretty much every Battlefield game to date.

No. It's on Origin Access if you already have that or want to try it out.

It's the worst Battlefield game ever made. Technical mess, hasn't recieved any meaningful content in months. DICE is completely off the game and on to other titles, there's just a skeleton crew finishing up what they already had in the pipeline. Their big announcement at Gamescom was 2 new 8v8 maps, because that's totally what you play Battlefield for. One was just recycled assets from their awful failed Battle Royale mode.

The Pacific maps should drop end of Oct/early November, so maybe hop in then if you really, really can't find a better shooter to play.

The BFV subreddit right now is basically memes making fun of the game and has been for months. At one point they went over 30+ days with an invisible soldiers (in a shooter) bug before they attempted to fix it. They've had a large, vehicle heavy conquest map ready to go for 3 months now and it still won't be in anytime soon because they can't fix a single graphical artifacting issue. There's like one guy working on the game part time. Tons of veteran DICE developers have left over the last six months or so.There's like 5 populated west coast servers during primetime on the west coast, and BFV is the first game to have the playercount hidden.

Stay away. It's abandonware at this point.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
No. It's on Origin Access if you already have that or want to try it out.

It's the worst Battlefield game ever made. Technical mess, hasn't recieved any meaningful content in months. DICE is completely off the game and on to other titles, there's just a skeleton crew finishing up what they already had in the pipeline. Their big announcement at Gamescom was 2 new 8v8 maps, because that's totally what you play Battlefield for. One was just recycled assets from their awful failed Battle Royale mode.

The Pacific maps should drop end of Oct/early November, so maybe hop in then if you really, really can't find a better shooter to play.

The BFV subreddit right now is basically memes making fun of the game and has been for months. At one point they went over 30+ days with an invisible soldiers (in a shooter) bug before they attempted to fix it. They've had a large, vehicle heavy conquest map ready to go for 3 months now and it still won't be in anytime soon because they can't fix a single graphical artifacting issue. There's like one guy working on the game part time. Tons of veteran DICE developers have left over the last six months or so.There's like 5 populated west coast servers during primetime on the west coast, and BFV is the first game to have the playercount hidden.

Stay away. It's abandonware at this point.

Seems to be the trend for big named EA games. Put out a big game that is clearly not finished and is lacking lots of features and in turn, the lack of updates follow. DICE and Bioware look to be in pretty bad shape and I don't know what they're going to do from here.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seems to be the trend for big named EA games. Put out a big game that is clearly not finished and is lacking lots of features and in turn, the lack of updates follow. DICE and Bioware look to be in pretty bad shape and I don't know what they're going to do from here.

Battlefield V is 4th on the totem poll right now in terms of priority for EA:
1. Battlefront 3
2. Bad Company 3
3. Battlefront 2
4. Battlefield V

Being that low in an already stretched studio system is a death sentence. EA can't abandon Battlefront because that's not their IP and Disney requires them to make an effort to keep the license. They already made the bulk of their money on BFV so they seem content to just let it die rather than turn it into a live service game like Rainbow 6 Siege.

Battlefront 2 has been turned around a bit and is getting new content, BFV got 2 Greek maps cut from launch and that's basically it. Dataminers have found tons of finished weapons floating around the game files but they refuse to add them, even though some of them have been there since the alpha. It has gotten to the point where you can't even trust that what is in the trailers for the DLC is going to actually be there.

f*** this game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still remember when they said Firestorm would be out as a launch mode for the game. Just didn't happen. So much... just never going any sort of real effort to make things work. Never going the extra mile for any of it for BF. You put out a game in bad faith, you get bit. Play bitch games, get bitch prizes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I still remember when they said Firestorm would be out as a launch mode for the game. Just didn't happen. So much... just never going any sort of real effort to make things work. Never going the extra mile for any of it for BF. You put out a game in bad faith, you get bit. Play ***** games, get ***** prizes.

They've said on twitter they thought Firestorm would expand their audience... but you had to pay money to buy the game, it wasn't and still isn't F2p. One of the level designers (who is a jackass) also went on about how it 'counted' as 4-5 normal maps, even though it's a mode 95% of the playerbase has no interest in touching.

I have never seen Battlefield as a franchise be this quiet. The BFV playercounts are hidden from 3rd parties for the first time ever, not even Hardline hid their numbers. BF4 and BF1 still average like 6-10k on PC, BFV is almost assuredly below that.

Did I mention that anticheat isn't even turned on or has been thoroughly defeated? The hackers have even figured out a way to shoot through 100% hard cover that bullets cannot normally penetrate, so you can be shot anywhere on the map. There's no autobalance, so severs that are lopsided stay that way until everyone gets bored and quits out. Don't even get me started on weapon and vehicle balance.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
They've said on twitter they thought Firestorm would expand their audience... but you had to pay money to buy the game, it wasn't and still isn't F2p. One of the level designers (who is a jackass) also went on about how it 'counted' as 4-5 normal maps, even though it's a mode 95% of the playerbase has no interest in touching.

I have never seen Battlefield as a franchise be this quiet. The BFV playercounts are hidden from 3rd parties for the first time ever, not even Hardline hid their numbers. BF4 and BF1 still average like 6-10k on PC, BFV is almost assuredly below that.

Did I mention that anticheat isn't even turned on or has been thoroughly defeated? The hackers have even figured out a way to shoot through 100% hard cover that bullets cannot normally penetrate, so you can be shot anywhere on the map. There's no autobalance, so severs that are lopsided stay that way until everyone gets bored and quits out. Don't even get me started on weapon and vehicle balance.

And with that, why should anyone give a flying f*** about their future offerings if they literally just stop caring like that? Titanfall as a SP and MP game is pretty much done due to Apex, Mass Effect probably is going no where and I never cared for the DA games. Honestly, outside of NHL, I have no interest in anything EA. I'd love to get the C&C collection they're making, but who f***ing knows if that ever comes out either or gets real support.

Sep 19, 2008
The drama about battlefield v when it's still pretty widely played :laugh: news flash Reddit complains about everything so that's not really accurate. Won't say I play the game daily but as usual our buddy here is being overly dramatic:rolleyes:

If you want to complain rant about the profanity filter that can't be removed in game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Is this game worth buying for $24? I haven't been huge on shooters lately but have enjoyed pretty much every Battlefield game to date.
For $24? Sure. The game lacks content. Rather than giving us new maps and stuff, EA has decided to go with the weekly event route with BFV. Complete certain tasks and you'll get a new skin or gun every week. If you're into that, it's great. Haven't played the game in a while, but there has been like 3 new added maps since its release about a year ago.

Sep 19, 2008
New maps seem pretty good. Wish they'd allow public servers though. Every server has the same f***ing rotation.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I played Firestorm a lot when you could play duo because my buddy and I loved the game but once they removed it we stopped and just went back to R6 Siege. I tried playing Firestorm solo once or twice since and every single time I was killed by people playing together, not sure how they do it, but anyways, it's been months now.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Al Sundan is one heck of a map! Breakthrough mode is well balanced and the amount of rocky cover around objectives for defence and offence is fantastic.
I dont feel it as good for conquest as the travel distance between points is too far, but it is great for sniping.

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
Al Sundan is one heck of a map! Breakthrough mode is well balanced and the amount of rocky cover around objectives for defence and offence is fantastic.
I dont feel it as good for conquest as the travel distance between points is too far, but it is great for sniping.
Yeah. I was playing this morning. Breakthrough is amazing on that map. Working your way to the airfield is pretty fun. Conquest meh.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I know I haven't played the new map, but as someone that did play a ton of BF2, BC2, BF3, BF4 and BF1 (less so with BF1), I wish we had more maps that could only handle certain modes. BC2 was amazing in this aspect as some maps were Rush only or some could only be Conquest and stuff like that. It benefited greatly for it.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yeah. I was playing this morning. Breakthrough is amazing on that map. Working your way to the airfield is pretty fun. Conquest meh.

I agree. conquest is just too spread out to inspire large battles but the amount of tanks and planes in play is pretty decent.

I have say that BFV just keeps getting better and better. I cant wait for more maps and updates...……..I also didn't purchase this game for quite a while so I also dont have any negative feelings towards it as I heard it was pretty bad at launch.

Reactions: Salvage21

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Operation Underground is awesome.

Yeah, it's pretty wild! I played a couple of rounds this morning after not really playing much at all over the last handful of months. After switching over to regular conquest and also playing Al Sudan, I feel like I'm getting the itch again to play regularly. I was never down on the game like most. I really, really enjoy the core gun play and movement. Looking forward to grinding through more metro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad