Battlefield V (2018)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't have a ton of experience with the Battlefield series, but has this problem of nobody playing their damn class always been an issue? Why do medics just stand next to you when you're clearly low health and asking for heals? Why don't support guys hand out ammo boxes like they're candy to anyone and everyone within range? They're rewarded for it, it helps the team, it will help your individual score....why don't they do it? I can understand a medic avoiding a revive in a hot spot. If I put myself in a bad spot and get killed I don't expect a medic to do the same stupid thing that got me killed. But you can see the health of your teammates, if I'm low, help a brother out! I just don't understand.

Online gaming has taught me the idiocracy is real. There's been a massive decline in teamwork and general camaraderie over the last 15 years or so, with individualism really skyrocketing. It's at odds with the core tenets of Battlefield.

A good squad can easily win the game for your team if you just PTFO and revive each other. You don't even need to be top tier shooters, just average.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Online gaming has taught me the idiocracy is real. There's been a massive decline in teamwork and general camaraderie over the last 15 years or so, with individualism really skyrocketing. It's at odds with the core tenets of Battlefield.

A good squad can easily win the game for your team if you just PTFO and revive each other. You don't even need to be top tier shooters, just average.
Yeah our squad is usually near the top of the leaderboard despite not having much experience with Battlefield. We have one guy who is a great shooter and typically piles up the kills as assault, but the rest of us just play support/medic and keep each other alive/supplied and play the objective. I'm right around 1 K/D most games, but near the top of my team simply from playing the objective and helping my team. Like I can understand if it was like old CoD games where you would get basically nothing for capturing a point on domination, but you get a ton of points for capturing an objective and killing people while defending an objective. They could not incentivize the process more and yet there are so many people who don't do it. It's bizarre.

Another question, are the planes intended to help the team win or just for fun? Like the tanks are super important, but the planes don't ever seem to do anything other than shoot at other planes. I guess you can parachute out of them and land on the other side of the map pretty quickly. Is that the point of the planes because I've yet to be killed by one?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
They can help if you’re good. There was one game I was playing defending on the day map for Grand Operations and our team was getting obliterated around the points by an enemy plane.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
il be skipping this one. the atmosphere feels dead and the map design seems questionable. even in operations where there should be a front line of battle, there isnt one. its just sporadic 1v1 firefights. made me appreciate BF1 alot more, which feels more like constant battle

Reactions: Oxide

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Planes are useful for objective support with bombs, or for shooting down the enemy trying to do the aforementioned bombing.

A good pilot can make or break an assault on B objective on Narvik, or help destroy tanks.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
il be skipping this one. the atmosphere feels dead and the map design seems questionable. even in operations where there should be a front line of battle, there isnt one. its just sporadic 1v1 firefights. made me appreciate BF1 alot more, which feels more like constant battle

There is a known bug with the audio with regards to sound generation and falloff over distance. It makes the soundscape seem worse than it should, or too quiet. It's not uncommon to not hear a guy shooting right next to you.

There's rumors of another beta before release with some of these issues fixed and some gameplay tweaks.

Another question, are the planes intended to help the team win or just for fun? Like the tanks are super important, but the planes don't ever seem to do anything other than shoot at other planes. I guess you can parachute out of them and land on the other side of the map pretty quickly. Is that the point of the planes because I've yet to be killed by one?

I had a 50 kill round in the Blenheim. They are super effective if you know where your team is likely fighting a group of enemies. A bomb drop that kills 5 or more in one go certainly changes things.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Some planes in BF1 had the potential to be extremely overpowered on the right hands. The heavy bomber and attack plane, specifically. It’s not uncommon to see guys rack up 100+ kills using them, so they needed a bit of a nerf, but Dice probably went a bit too far there.

It also doesn’t help that 3D spotting is gone. As a pilot in BF1 you could see guys marked on the ground and line up your kill fairly easily. Without the little makers it’s a lot tougher to judge exactly where enemies are.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It also doesn’t help that 3D spotting is gone.

You can spot with the spotting scope on recon, if that's the same type of spotting you were referring to? (I'm not fluent in BF lingo)

Though most players don't do it, understandably since you can't shoot back haha.
Last night I was in a game that was a complete roll for my side and I just sat on the bridge spaming my spotting scope around while the rest of team murdered them all. It was Hi-larious.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It was a good beta, IMO. I had a lot of fun, especially with @SniperHF carrying me. :laugh:

Playing solo is, as usual in Battlefield, not nearly as much fun. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends aren't getting it so I might stick to the Origin Access route rather than diving fully in...but I do think I'll get it at launch in some form.

I'm glad they pushed it back as some polish is definitely needed, but I think it'll turn out to be a good game.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
You can spot with the spotting scope on recon, if that's the same type of spotting you were referring to? (I'm not fluent in BF lingo)

Though most players don't do it, understandably since you can't shoot back haha.
Last night I was in a game that was a complete roll for my side and I just sat on the bridge spaming my spotting scope around while the rest of team murdered them all. It was Hi-larious.

It was a good beta, IMO. I had a lot of fun, especially with @SniperHF carrying me. :laugh:

Playing solo is, as usual in Battlefield, not nearly as much fun. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends aren't getting it so I might stick to the Origin Access route rather than diving fully in...but I do think I'll get it at launch in some form.

I'm glad they pushed it back as some polish is definitely needed, but I think it'll turn out to be a good game.

list your origin names so we can squad up

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I think my Origin name is Mattymo3535 but I will confirm when I get home. Definitely would like to squad up when I don't have friends online.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

I get the feeling this game is gonna be a bigger dumpster fire than people are giving it credit for. Throw back in the oven for a few months. You get the benefit of missing the sales slaughter with RDR2/COD and releasing in a better state.

Sep 19, 2008
I purchased Origin Premier so I already have it technically. :laugh:

These are concerning accusations though and you'd think the narrative would be different when EA and Dice touted that this iteration of Battlefield would not have any DLC. Curious to see what happens. I mean I'm very eager to play the game now (despite having only 8 gig RAM, need to upgrade eventually before launch) but I can wait if it means they can get a damn game going right.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
list your origin names so we can squad up

I'm SpasmaticDan....I think.

I get the feeling this game is gonna be a bigger dumpster fire than people are giving it credit for. Throw back in the oven for a few months. You get the benefit of missing the sales slaughter with RDR2/COD and releasing in a better state.

I agree that there are some major concerns when it comes to launch content, so I wouldn't encourage any pre-orders at full price (not that I ever really encourage that).

With what we've heard, I'm fully expecting a crash and burn out of the gate in terms of the mass opinion...but I'm a bit more cynical these days than I used to be.

That said, at it's core I think it's a good game. I question some of the design choices, but it'd be a real shame if it fell apart.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

In 1 you could spot with any class at any time, just hit the spot button and watch the little icons appear on your screen and mini map.

Now that’s restricted to recon, and you can’t do that and shoot guys ate the same time, so (going back to that no more team players conversation) people generally just don’t use it.

Has anybody heard anything about a codex, like it BF1? I had a lot of fun reading through the different weapons and battles.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Are the amount of cheaters in BF 1 as bad as people seem to say?
The $4.99 price on BF1 is tempting since I'm probably not buying V.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are the amount of cheaters in BF 1 as bad as people seem to say?
The $4.99 price on BF1 is tempting since I'm probably not buying V.

No, there are basically none on the PC. Been an admin on shooters for 15 years, they are extremely few and far between. Most are simply good players.

If you buy BF1 now for $4.99 you can get premium (all the DLC) for free, just have to claim it by the 18th.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If you buy BF1 now for $4.99 you can get premium (all the DLC) for free, just have to claim it by the 18th.

I already claimed that anyway without buying it :laugh:

Speaking of the falsely accusing cheaters, in one of the last games I played on the open beta some guy was absolutely insisting and clogging up the chat one of the players in the server was a cheater. Purely based on KD ratio :laugh:. It wasn't even that ridiculously high, was about 3.

AND speaking of server admins and the shooter community getting shittier over the years, I actually mostly blame it on the de-emphasis of private servers and increased matchmaking.
When they implemented matchmaking in TF2 it murdered the private server player counts and you were left playing a bunch of randos most of the time. There should be a quick easy way to derp around on official servers. But it's gotta still allow room to promote the different tier of play.

All my favorite times playing MP shooters were on private servers. I ran my own Ravenshield server for 2 years or so. I played on mostly the same 2-3 servers in America's Army, TF2, UT 2004, UT3.
Even though we weren't in a clan type situation, everyone on the servers developed a rapport. Playing the better players makes you a better player, it's almost universal. Instead they'd rather be auto-paired with like-skilled players and not improve.

Reactions: Tweed

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Looks like there's an event of some sort so that you'll be able to play BFV on Xbone as of November 9, do we know if there will be a similar thing for the PS4?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Looks like there's an event of some sort so that you'll be able to play BFV on Xbone as of November 9, do we know if there will be a similar thing for the PS4?
It's for EA access, so no it's not playable on the PS4. PC and xBox only.

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah. You can preload starting today. Unfortunately been too busy lately so haven't had chance to turn on computer and load it :rant:

Sep 19, 2008
Also the full game is available for Origin Premier (basically EA's 15 dollar per year subscription service letting you play all sorts of games) starting tomorrow. I ended up getting it because I can get Madden, FIFA, and Battlefield for less than it would normally cost without it (180!)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Also the full game is available for Origin Premier (basically EA's 15 dollar per year subscription service letting you play all sorts of games) starting tomorrow. I ended up getting it because I can get Madden, FIFA, and Battlefield for less than it would normally cost without it (180!)
I think you mean $15/month subscription service. They'd lose their ass selling all of their games for $15/year :laugh:

I subscribed also. I did the $100 for a year. I played Madden quite a bit, a little bit of FIFA, my wife plays the hell out of Sims, but the real reason I got it was for Battlefield and Anthem. Those two games alone make it worth it, especially since you get like the gold edition of every game too. I just wish NHL came out on PC. I'd be saving a ton of money throughout the year.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I think you mean $15/month subscription service. They'd lose their ass selling all of their games for $15/year :laugh:

I subscribed also. I did the $100 for a year. I played Madden quite a bit, a little bit of FIFA, my wife plays the hell out of Sims, but the real reason I got it was for Battlefield and Anthem. Those two games alone make it worth it, especially since you get like the gold edition of every game too. I just wish NHL came out on PC. I'd be saving a ton of money throughout the year.

I really wish they'd bring NHL back to PC, if only for GM mode sim that does take all night to chug through a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->