Battlefield V (2018)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As long as the game play is still similar I'm all for it. It boggles my mind that all war games still don't have destructible buildings or at the very least enviroments.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Not a big fan of full on character customization. The people in the trailer look cartoony to me like in COD. Ive always liked that BF had a more realistic vibe to it.

I agree. A lot of people are complaining about women being on the frontlines (its multiplayer so I don’t really care) but the uniforms and customization is just way too much. Looks far too cartoony and light hearted. Why can’t there just be a WW2 game like WaW again, dark, gritty and no holds barred brutality. I’m tired of this kiddy crap.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The comments are hilarious.

I liked the comment about the friend who didn't realize that it was WWII until it was pointed out to him. It's true. EA/Dice really seems to have a knack for making historic conflicts appear unrecognizable. It's not just the races and genders. For example, the girl in the trailer is wearing a female-flattering outfit, has modern bangs, isn't wearing a helmet and has a metallic arm (I kid you not... see 0:25 of the trailer). Even if women had been allowed to serve as soldiers or faked their gender, they would've worn the same baggy outfits that the men did, had more male-like haircuts, worn helmets and been disqualified from combat on account of missing arms. Obviously, historicity isn't as important to EA/Dice as trying to make their characters appealing to modern gamers, though. It's just a game and it's mostly just marketing, but it's still a bit disappointing when some of the authentic historical flavor of the conflict is lost.

Last edited:

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I liked the comment about the friend who didn't realize that it was WWII until it was pointed out to him. It's true. EA/Dice really seems to have a knack for making historic conflicts appear unrecognizable. It's not just the races and genders. For example, the girl in the trailer is wearing a female-flattering outfit, has modern bangs, isn't wearing a helmet and has a metallic arm (I kid you not... see 0:25 of the trailer). Even if women had been allowed to serve as soldiers or faked their gender, they would've worn the same baggy outfits that the men did, had more male-like haircuts, worn helmets and been disqualified from combat on account of missing an arm. Obviously, historicity isn't as important to EA/Dice as trying to make their characters, though. It's just a game and it's mostly marketing, but it's still a bit disappointing when some of the authentic historical flavor of the conflict is lost.

Prosthetic limbs are a customizable option for your characters believe it or not. BF1 really lacked customization, both on the character and weapons (honestly, i dont mind no character customization. Dufferent story for weapons though), and Bf5 is overcompensating for it, literally doing a 180 on customization. My preference is to keep it to simply uniform camos like Bf4 did.

Of course, in the end, the biggest gamebreaker will always be the gameplay.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
As long as the gameplay is good I'll get it.
Not having to buy a premium pass for all of the maps is huge to me.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Oh man, they even made sure disabled was included. Sweden the Game.

Reactions: Diddy

Yarborough

Mar 14, 2015
YYC
So far the

Pros:

-Upgrades to gameplay
-WW2 weapons (Also the Lewis Gun is making a return, on the 29th of May there is a BF1 challenge to unlock a skin for it)
-No premium
-No lootboxes? (If this is true I’ll poop myself but EA never fails to disappoint)
-Looks fun to play and fast pace which makes sense as WW2 at least in the early years where we’re supposed to be starting was all about blitzkrieg (one sided as it was).
-New gamemodes like grand operations
-Some of the customization

Cons
-The tint in the trailer. Now I’m assuming it’s for the trailer only but if I have the lens flare for the rest of the game then I’ll be pissed.
-Some of the customization is quite overblown and ridiculous (prosthetic limbs, face paints, etc. although a pink tiger tank sounds fun but dumb but also fun)
-Some historical inaccuracies like the weight of the MG42 in the trailer, he’s holding it at one point with a single hand
-This trailer sucked
-The theme seems way too light hearted, which is dumb. The best war games are dark and gritty. I don’t want this to be a Battlefield V:Fortnite with WW2 edition and right now it seems much to childish
-I really hope they add in more variety to who were fighting as and where were fighting. I don’t just want it to be America and Great Britain against the Nazis. I’d like to see China vs Japan, Canada vs Nazi’s in Belgium, Holland or Italy, Soviets vs Finns, Heck an Aleutian Island Map would be cool, but just give it some bloody variety.
-It’s EA+Dice which means somehow, someway they’ll screw this up.

Overall I’m cautiously neutral and will need to see more to judge any further. I just hope war stories are good and that grand operations don’t end up a slug fest.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Out of all the current popular shooting games, Battlefield is probably one of the easier ones to adapt a BR mode for. Even if they kept it at 64 players, all dropping in on their big maps could be a lot of fun.

My big worry for this game is what they plan to do with microtransactions

They did say there will be no Premium editions this time which is nice and all future content will be free....

So we'll see.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So....was that trailer their interpretation of multiplayer (like staged events and interaction between players), or some sort of co-op campaign?

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
The characters look ridiculous for a WW2 game, I can see them trying to monetize the game through cosmetic items.

Trailer was garbage but the info about the game sounds very promising/intriguing so far. The premium pass really just fractured the player base in the end, i'd always end up just playing default maps because they always had full games, glad they got rid of it.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Thank the sweet lord for this... Battlefield 1 was my first BF game, I absolutely love playing this game, but the premium pass ruined it for me. It got pretty old playing on the same maps for the life of the game, and I don't necessarily want to shell out more money for levels in a game that I already paid $60 for.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's sad that we're considering EA not actively butchering their own game with pay-to-win elements as a victory, but it is a victory nonetheless.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
It's sad that we're considering EA not actively butchering their own game with pay-to-win elements as a victory, but it is a victory nonetheless.
That was the plan all along. They were going to keep pushing the envelope until they finally crossed the line and pissed everyone off. Now they're reverting back to old shit, which was definitely still shit, but being praised for it because it's not quite as bad as the new shit.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
-I really hope they add in more variety to who were fighting as and where were fighting. I don’t just want it to be America and Great Britain against the Nazis. I’d like to see China vs Japan, Canada vs Nazi’s in Belgium, Holland or Italy, Soviets vs Finns, Heck an Aleutian Island Map would be cool, but just give it some bloody variety.
-It’s EA+Dice which means somehow, someway they’ll screw this up.

Overall I’m cautiously neutral and will need to see more to judge any further. I just hope war stories are good and that grand operations don’t end up a slug fest.

Finns would just be camping with snipers and moving down Soviets. You know, just like in all the other FPS games.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I liked the comment about the friend who didn't realize that it was WWII until it was pointed out to him. It's true. EA/Dice really seems to have a knack for making historic conflicts appear unrecognizable. It's not just the races and genders. For example, the girl in the trailer is wearing a female-flattering outfit, has modern bangs, isn't wearing a helmet and has a metallic arm (I kid you not... see 0:25 of the trailer). Even if women had been allowed to serve as soldiers or faked their gender, they would've worn the same baggy outfits that the men did, had more male-like haircuts, worn helmets and been disqualified from combat on account of missing arms. Obviously, historicity isn't as important to EA/Dice as trying to make their characters appealing to modern gamers, though. It's just a game and it's mostly just marketing, but it's still a bit disappointing when some of the authentic historical flavor of the conflict is lost.

I am enjoying watching all the dudes freaking out about women in their BF WW2 game.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Yarborough

Mar 14, 2015
YYC

Jeffrey Grubb @JeffGrubb

23h
Replying to @JeffGrubb
#BattlefieldV only has cosmetic items -- no pay-to-win because EA doesn't hate itself.

so does that mean they are going on the Fortnite model where a majority of the skins/outfits/accessories are behind a pay wall?

I really don’t know. Either

A) They are behind a paywall that is to say cosmetic lootboxes
B) They are behind a paywall that is to say a market place where you can directly buy things
C) Everything is unlocked through progression

Or D) All three will be put in the game in someway.

I hope it’s C but I’m going to assume B.

Sep 19, 2008
I know the hip and trendy thing these kids do these days is to bash on EA / Origin / DICE and act like they are the worst company in existence but this trailer and this game actually has potential. Then again I have been a huge fanatic of the Battlefield series dating back to 1942 so you won't see me criticize the series as often as some of our other posters here.

What I don't like is people just whining and complaining about "Typical DICEEE" when this game hasn't even come out yet.

Reactions: 99664987

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So....was that trailer their interpretation of multiplayer (like staged events and interaction between players), or some sort of co-op campaign?

They want you to think that it's what the multiplayer looks like, but, in reality, the only part of the game that's going to come close to looking like that are the pre-rendered cutscenes in the single-player campaign. That's how most game trailers are, sadly. Take them with a huge grain of salt, assume that they're 100% cutscenes and search out actual gameplay video, instead:

(Gameplay starts at 4:05 and credit to XX for the link)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I am enjoying watching all the dudes freaking out about women in their BF WW2 game.

I won't defend the sexist remarks (like "women were in the kitchen, not on the front lines"), but I'd say that there is reason for legitimate criticism, just like there would've been if Band of Brothers had included female soldiers. There's a point where trying to be progressive can go too far.

My stance is that they could've fudged history a little and catered to female gamers by including female character models that didn't look conspicuously female (like how modern female soldiers almost look like guys when in uniform), but making them exceedingly feminine and modern in appearance just looks ridiculous.

It's not just the female (who, also, as I've already pointed out, has a prosthetic arm, to boot). Even the bald, bearded white guy wearing the tank top looks nothing like any soldier in WWII. Both characters look cool without any respect for historical accuracy. Others are probably right that EA/Dice's customization monetization strategy is largely behind it, since they seem to want you to be able to customize your character's look to reflect who you are, regardless of whether anyone on the WWII battlefield ever looked like that. It'd be nice if they would provide an option to turn those customizations off, though.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
They want you to think that it's what the multiplayer looks like, but, in reality, the only part of the game that's going to come close to looking like that are the pre-rendered cutscenes in the single-player campaign. That's how most game trailers are, sadly. Take them with a huge grain of salt, assume that they're 100% cutscenes and search out actual gameplay video, instead:

(Gameplay starts at 4:05 and credit to XX for the link)

hmmm. after watching the video it really just feels like a re-skin of BF1 but with updated weapons. JMO though. probably wait this one for a lower price point. I have been pretty slack on getting new releases. just picked up BF1 a few weeks ago on the cheap and I am enjoying it thoroughly.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
hmmm. after watching the video it really just feels like a re-skin of BF1 but with updated weapons.

• No Season Pass
  • Launch locations are France, Africa and Rottedam and North Africa desert
  • Coop Mode called Combined Arms
  • Single player War Stories return
  • Fortifications are things like sand ags, trenches, tank stoppers. Only supports can build offensively defense fortifications such as machine guns, field cannons and are much faster at building everything.
  • Predetermined areas to build such as at flags, can rebuild destroyed buildings
  • Health bar is in stages, only regen up to closet stage not to 100 anymore
  • Physical interactions - every action in the game requires a player interact for things like medkits, spotting, ammo, ledge grabbing (example: healing requires walking over to a health pack, character animation to pick it up, then start healing)
  • No more HUD/map spotting, spotting is based on movement/changes around you
  • Much less ammo on spawn, out of ammo after a few fights, but more ways to resupply ammo in the battlefield from packs, crates, or grabbing small amounts of ammo off of bodies (all requires physical interactions)
  • Revive system has a full on animation, takes a few seconds to complete, no more revive trains, takes time to complete
  • Ragdolls are server side, can now drag a downed player's body elsewhere
  • Any class can do a squad revive, takes longer than a medic revive, does not give full health points
  • Can call for help when down such as in the trailer
  • Ragdolls (player bodies) effect the environment, push down grass etc.
  • Gunplay completely changed
  • No more visual recoil
  • Each gun has a unique recoil pattern that can be learned and mastered
  • Bipods easier to use and setup
  • Bullet penetration through thin wood, sheet metal, walls
  • Movement change, can now dive froward, backward, left and right similar to R6 Siege prone system
  • Diving has a delay to prevent dolphin diving
  • Crouch sprinting is in the game
  • Can burst out of widows and commando roll, no destroying windows first
  • Can catch, throwback or shoot grenades
  • Less grenades because less ammo
  • Can tow items in the game with vehicles such as previously stationary anti-air guns, teammate can use an anti-air gun while you tow it with a vehicle
  • For example, can drive a tiger tank towing a field cannon behind it or a truck towing ammo crate to resupply teammates on the front line
  • Destruction explodes inwards or outwards based on where the destruction happens. Throw a grenade inside of the building? The explosion sends things outside of it. Outside of it? Breaks inwards.
  • Tank driving into a building slowly destroys a building, walls slowly crack/fall, not instant
  • Heavily focused on squad play, instant placed in squad when joining a game
  • New squad spawning system, squad deploy system that shows what squad mates are doing in third person in real time before the tactical map screen, so spawning on squad is kicker than spawning on tactical map screen
  • Since squad spawning/deploying is faster than tactical map, squad wipes are serious
  • Squads accumulate points that can be spent on "squad call-ins", only squad leader can spend them in
  • Squad Call-ins are V1 or JB2 rockets as seen in the trailer, supply drops with ammo/health, a smoke barrage, heavy weapon pickups (not hero kits), squad only vehicles such as Churchill crocodile flamethrower tank or the Sturm tiger
  • Elite classes are gone
  • Behemoths are gone
  • Large, non-fatal explosions can knock a player over
  • Four classes are back: assault, medic, scout, support
  • Create a solider, add them to a company of soldiers, then can customize things like gender, face look, face paint, outfit, accessories, etc. and assign them a class archtype
  • Class archetypes highly customization
  • Can be an assault that specializes in anti-tank or anti-infantry only, or a mix of both, etc.
  • Highly specialized archetypes called exotics such as a recon paratrooper, stealthy short-range behind enemy lines person who uses a suppressed SMG and silent gadgets like pistols and garrotes comes with silent footsteps and throwing knives
  • Can change and add specialization trees such as agility, flak armor, suppressive resistance
  • The more you play a class more you get more specializations/archetypes within said class
  • Same system for guns, pick a gun, level it up, unlock specializations and making gameplay choices in a skill tree on that gun
  • Specializations are the only thing that affects how a gun plays or feels (ex: bipod)
  • Five-seven elements to change on a gun to make it your own (stocks, sights, muzzles, chassis, skins, leaves on the front, cloth on back, straps, etc).
  • Gameplay and visual customization is SEPARATE. Look of weapon is just visual without impacting gameplay, specialization is what determines how the gun plays/feels.
  • Same system for vehicles and planes
  • Asymmetric vehicles for teams, (ex: one team might get a big slow tank that does lot of damage, other team gets a small fast tank that does light damage)
  • Grand Operations gamemode, each day is a full match, always advance to the next day
  • GOs have different objectives per day
  • Success or failure in GO days have visual and gameplay impact
  • Day 4 only has a chance to happen if there isn't a clear winner from previous days
  • Day 4 is last stand, limited ammo, no respawns, whoever lives to the end wins
  • Coop mode, combined arms with a dynamic mission creator/AI that sits between SP/MP as a creative sandbox
  • Soldiers created for a company can be used in both coop and MP, parity
  • No news on suppression yet, uncertain if in game
  • All logic in game is server side, not client side so changes to systems do not require a patch
  • Promises of more communication between devs and community, roadmaps, etc.
  • New content is called Tides of war, daily/weekly/monthly challenges with overarching chapters and questlines that give you "unique items and cosmetics"
  • Tides of War givs new maps, game modes, limited time expierences
  • Variety of maps with different tones such as complete crushing battlefield chaos or more slow space large maps with tempo that goes up and down
  • Gamemodes confirmed: Grand Operations, Conquest, TDM, Domination
  • No news on RSP
  • The Shhhh animation from the trailer is possible to experience in game
  • Transport vehicles are alive on the map and can jump into them
  • Combat vehicles spawn from tactical deployment map

Watch the interview with the lead designer.

This is the most the Battlefield meta has changed probably ever since 1942. It won't play anything like BF1. They are putting the skill back into the gunplay and moving towards a R6 Siege style physicality system. They want players to stop running around mindlessly like it's Call of Duty.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
  • No Season Pass
  • Launch locations are France, Africa and Rottedam and North Africa desert
  • Coop Mode called Combined Arms
  • Single player War Stories return
  • Fortifications are things like sand ags, trenches, tank stoppers. Only supports can build offensively defense fortifications such as machine guns, field cannons and are much faster at building everything.
  • Predetermined areas to build such as at flags, can rebuild destroyed buildings
  • Health bar is in stages, only regen up to closet stage not to 100 anymore
  • Physical interactions - every action in the game requires a player interact for things like medkits, spotting, ammo, ledge grabbing (example: healing requires walking over to a health pack, character animation to pick it up, then start healing)
  • No more HUD/map spotting, spotting is based on movement/changes around you
  • Much less ammo on spawn, out of ammo after a few fights, but more ways to resupply ammo in the battlefield from packs, crates, or grabbing small amounts of ammo off of bodies (all requires physical interactions)
  • Revive system has a full on animation, takes a few seconds to complete, no more revive trains, takes time to complete
  • Ragdolls are server side, can now drag a downed player's body elsewhere
  • Any class can do a squad revive, takes longer than a medic revive, does not give full health points
  • Can call for help when down such as in the trailer
  • Ragdolls (player bodies) effect the environment, push down grass etc.
  • Gunplay completely changed
  • No more visual recoil
  • Each gun has a unique recoil pattern that can be learned and mastered
  • Bipods easier to use and setup
  • Bullet penetration through thin wood, sheet metal, walls
  • Movement change, can now dive froward, backward, left and right similar to R6 Siege prone system
  • Diving has a delay to prevent dolphin diving
  • Crouch sprinting is in the game
  • Can burst out of widows and commando roll, no destroying windows first
  • Can catch, throwback or shoot grenades
  • Less grenades because less ammo
  • Can tow items in the game with vehicles such as previously stationary anti-air guns, teammate can use an anti-air gun while you tow it with a vehicle
  • For example, can drive a tiger tank towing a field cannon behind it or a truck towing ammo crate to resupply teammates on the front line
  • Destruction explodes inwards or outwards based on where the destruction happens. Throw a grenade inside of the building? The explosion sends things outside of it. Outside of it? Breaks inwards.
  • Tank driving into a building slowly destroys a building, walls slowly crack/fall, not instant
  • Heavily focused on squad play, instant placed in squad when joining a game
  • New squad spawning system, squad deploy system that shows what squad mates are doing in third person in real time before the tactical map screen, so spawning on squad is kicker than spawning on tactical map screen
  • Since squad spawning/deploying is faster than tactical map, squad wipes are serious
  • Squads accumulate points that can be spent on "squad call-ins", only squad leader can spend them in
  • Squad Call-ins are V1 or JB2 rockets as seen in the trailer, supply drops with ammo/health, a smoke barrage, heavy weapon pickups (not hero kits), squad only vehicles such as Churchill crocodile flamethrower tank or the Sturm tiger
  • Elite classes are gone
  • Behemoths are gone
  • Large, non-fatal explosions can knock a player over
  • Four classes are back: assault, medic, scout, support
  • Create a solider, add them to a company of soldiers, then can customize things like gender, face look, face paint, outfit, accessories, etc. and assign them a class archtype
  • Class archetypes highly customization
  • Can be an assault that specializes in anti-tank or anti-infantry only, or a mix of both, etc.
  • Highly specialized archetypes called exotics such as a recon paratrooper, stealthy short-range behind enemy lines person who uses a suppressed SMG and silent gadgets like pistols and garrotes comes with silent footsteps and throwing knives
  • Can change and add specialization trees such as agility, flak armor, suppressive resistance
  • The more you play a class more you get more specializations/archetypes within said class
  • Same system for guns, pick a gun, level it up, unlock specializations and making gameplay choices in a skill tree on that gun
  • Specializations are the only thing that affects how a gun plays or feels (ex: bipod)
  • Five-seven elements to change on a gun to make it your own (stocks, sights, muzzles, chassis, skins, leaves on the front, cloth on back, straps, etc).
  • Gameplay and visual customization is SEPARATE. Look of weapon is just visual without impacting gameplay, specialization is what determines how the gun plays/feels.
  • Same system for vehicles and planes
  • Asymmetric vehicles for teams, (ex: one team might get a big slow tank that does lot of damage, other team gets a small fast tank that does light damage)
  • Grand Operations gamemode, each day is a full match, always advance to the next day
  • GOs have different objectives per day
  • Success or failure in GO days have visual and gameplay impact
  • Day 4 only has a chance to happen if there isn't a clear winner from previous days
  • Day 4 is last stand, limited ammo, no respawns, whoever lives to the end wins
  • Coop mode, combined arms with a dynamic mission creator/AI that sits between SP/MP as a creative sandbox
  • Soldiers created for a company can be used in both coop and MP, parity
  • No news on suppression yet, uncertain if in game
  • All logic in game is server side, not client side so changes to systems do not require a patch
  • Promises of more communication between devs and community, roadmaps, etc.
  • New content is called Tides of war, daily/weekly/monthly challenges with overarching chapters and questlines that give you "unique items and cosmetics"
  • Tides of War givs new maps, game modes, limited time expierences
  • Variety of maps with different tones such as complete crushing battlefield chaos or more slow space large maps with tempo that goes up and down
  • Gamemodes confirmed: Grand Operations, Conquest, TDM, Domination
  • No news on RSP
  • The Shhhh animation from the trailer is possible to experience in game
  • Transport vehicles are alive on the map and can jump into them
  • Combat vehicles spawn from tactical deployment map

Watch the interview with the lead designer.

This is the most the Battlefield meta has changed probably ever since 1942. It won't play anything like BF1. They are putting the skill back into the gunplay and moving towards a R6 Siege style physicality system. They want players to stop running around mindlessly like it's Call of Duty.

lol ok ok. that's a lot to take in lol.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Gameplay balance looks promising. Trailer was horrible and didn’t suggest anything like a slower, more strategic and intentional game. It definitely didn’t give a f*** about history. We’ll see I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad