Battlefield 2042 (2021)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
CoD tried to make a system that worked by prioritizing PC players on controller against console players via matchmaking, but people got around that through mods.

At this point, whether I'm playing against a guy on mouse+kb or against somebody on console rocking a modded controller that auto-aims and auto-ducks every time they take a shot, you're eating **** either way.

I would prefer search filters for matchmaking. Let me choose whether to prioritize skill or connection, let me say whether I want to play vs PC or just Xbox. For social pvp modes, I really couldn't care less. For ranked modes, I think more rigid filtering is necessary, even if it means slightly longer in the lobby before matches. Nothing makes me lose interest in ranked playlists more than the feeling that I'm getting screwed over. If I suck and am getting beaten down legit, and I feel it's fair, then I'll grit my teeth and get better.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
These FPS games should probably just require a controller in all ranked matches and not allow Mouse+Keyboard.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
These FPS games should probably just require a controller in all ranked matches and not allow Mouse+Keyboard.

That would NEVER fly with the PC crowd. You'd basically lose the entire competitive market and a good chunk of the content creator market.

Reactions: John Price

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That would NEVER fly with the PC crowd. You'd basically lose the entire competitive market and a good chunk of the content creator market.

Aren't they just a USB connection away from using a controller? If they want to play ranked against everyone then they should have to play with a controller.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
CoD tried to make a system that worked by prioritizing PC players on controller against console players via matchmaking, but people got around that through mods.

At this point, whether I'm playing against a guy on mouse+kb or against somebody on console rocking a modded controller that auto-aims and auto-ducks every time they take a shot, you're eating **** either way.

I would prefer search filters for matchmaking. Let me choose whether to prioritize skill or connection, let me say whether I want to play vs PC or just Xbox. For social pvp modes, I really couldn't care less. For ranked modes, I think more rigid filtering is necessary, even if it means slightly longer in the lobby before matches. Nothing makes me lose interest in ranked playlists more than the feeling that I'm getting screwed over. If I suck and am getting beaten down legit, and I feel it's fair, then I'll grit my teeth and get better.
So it looks like you can Opt Out of cross play if I'm reading comments there correctly? That would be great, then I don't have to worry about half the map being PC users...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

So much this. Just one of a bunch of reasons why I love the BF games.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Aren't they just a USB connection away from using a controller? If they want to play ranked against everyone then they should have to play with a controller.

It's an entirely different skillet physically.

I'm pretty good with a KB/M. Give me a controller vs practiced controller players and I'm dust. I could probably be learn to be passable with a controller after a couple hundred hours or more, but no serious KB/M player would bother unless they already play shooters on Consoles. I'm sure a lot do, but a lot don't or don't have the time investment into the pad that they do KB/M.

It's better to just do what the Offspring said and keep'em separated. If you can anyway :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's an entirely different skillet physically.

I'm pretty good with a KB/M. Give me a controller vs practiced controller players and I'm dust. I could probably be learn to be passable with a controller after a couple hundred hours or more, but no serious KB/M player would bother unless they already play shooters on Consoles. I'm sure a lot do, but a lot don't or don't have the time investment into the pad that they do KB/M.

It's better to just do what the Offspring said and keep'em separated. If you can anyway :laugh:

I don't think FPS games will ever be as separated again. Halo: Infinite will be PC & Xbox, Battlefield and COD the same. You're limiting your player base by an insane amount at this point if the technology exists and you're choosing not to have your AAA FPS be available to PC and Console gamers.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think FPS games will ever be as separated again. Halo: Infinite will be PC & Xbox, Battlefield and COD the same. You're limiting your player base by an insane amount at this point if the technology exists and you're choosing not to have your AAA FPS be available to PC and Console gamers.

I dunno, I think it's a solution in search of a problem. The games were already on all those platforms and it didn't seem to cause a problem that the online communities were separate. So you have fewer unique people to shoot? Meh. You could easily have cross play among the consoles and leave PC separate. The option existing is fine I guess but if it's on by default it's gonna cause some unintended consequences.

Personally I'd find it incredibly boring to shoot a bunch of controller players with a KB/M. Might as well play bots.

Reactions: x Tame Impala
Sep 19, 2008
Big takeaway is that new portal allows mods and servers to run custom modes including battlefield 1942 and 2 and 3 armies and elements

For a game where mods have been cut down on since 2 its a huge development

Sep 19, 2008

I love how they're leaning into the absurdist fun and emergent gameplay of Battlefield instead of the try-hard gritty epic framing.

The portal has so much possibilities

Imagine 1942 only 2042 servers with all the mechanics but 1942 weapons... Or just bf2 servers. It's a great idea especially when modifications were cut out in 5 to the point where DICE literally ran all the servers

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I've generally moved away from multiplayer shooters in last 5 years especially, but damn if this doesn't tempt me.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I love how they're leaning into the absurdist fun and emergent gameplay of Battlefield instead of the try-hard gritty epic framing.

I feel that's the exact problem I had with the first trailer, they trying so hard for "epic moments" that it felt way too theatrical and not representative of real gameplay in the slightest.

For example, the first thing we see in that trailer is the people stumbling and tripping off a helipad, then getting hit with a falling helicopter, which felt more like a scene from a movie than anything I've ever seen in Battlefield.

Even though this trailer doesn't show any gameplay footage, it never felt like a movie, it just felt like people playing Battlefield. The knife vs. defibrillator fight is clearly nothing like real gameplay, but still managed to pique my interest with all the other ideas that come to mind.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad