GDT: "Battle" of Alberta: Flames vs Oilers - 8 PM MT

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
No excuses for that loss. Simply did not show up for two periods. When they did show up it was clear which is the better team. But the fact that they didn't show up for two periods means one thing and one thing only: Gulutzan needs to Go.

BTW, the real Sam Bennett is back. Time to get him back into his natural position and put him between Ferland and Gaudreau, and have him or Jankowski replace Brouwer on PP1 (common sense). I'd much rather watch Ferland-Bennett-Gaudreau blaze up the ice with speed than this awkward Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr line. The Gaudreau-Monahan pairing is so overrated.

Jagrmeister 68proof

Oct 8, 2017
Alright Brodie is a good dman with a bad stretch currently. But to trade before entirely assessing the team fully from top to bottom is not smart. Although TJ may need a one game break.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Defensive lapses/brain farts are what killing them

Guys like Hamilton and Brodie never learn to play their position properly

I will never argue for them as top dmen again

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Nothing kills this team's momentum like a good ol' PP.

This game, in a picture:

dumpsterfire-300x300.jpg

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Obviously this is a really bad stretch for Brodie but come on. The entire defense is a joke. Nobody looks good out there. Brodie plays the most so the spotlights on him, but Giordano, Hamilton and Hamonic all look subpar. All of them struggle with positioning, giveaways, and puck watching. Clearly, this system isn't working.

You can either trade the entire defense, or just replace the coaching staff. Or at the very least, Jerrard. But really, the whole coaching staff.

Jagrmeister 68proof

Oct 8, 2017
No excuses for that loss. Simply did not show up for two periods. When they did show up it was clear which is the better team. But the fact that they didn't show up for two periods means one thing and one thing only: Gulutzan needs to Go.

BTW, the real Sam Bennett is back. Time to get him back into his natural position and put him between Ferland and Gaudreau, and have him or Jankowski replace Brouwer on PP1 (common sense). I'd much rather watch Ferland-Bennett-Gaudreau blaze up the ice with speed than this awkward Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr line. The Gaudreau-Monahan pairing is so overrated.
There should be a dislike button on this board. Mind you it might be used on me very frequently.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Obviously this is a really bad stretch for Brodie but come on. The entire defense is a joke. Nobody looks good out there. Brodie plays the most so the spotlights on him, but Giordano, Hamilton and Hamonic all look subpar. All of them struggle with positioning, giveaways, and puck watching. Clearly, this system isn't working.

You can either trade the entire defense, or just replace the coaching staff. Or at the very least, Jerrard. But really, the whole coaching staff.

I agree that the hyper-focus on Brodie isn't really fair. Hamilton, Gio and Hamonic all made major errors tonight.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I agree that the hyper-focus on Brodie isn't really fair. Hamilton, Gio and Hamonic all made major errors tonight.
Gio gets a pass; he's been strong all season. The coaching staff should be under the microscope for why our vaunted D-core is severely below average.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Anyways, the score flattered the Oilers. When a team literally gives you the handicap of about six free and unearned breakaways, and you still need three flukey goals (one that double deflected in the most Plinko way possible, one communication gaffe between a backup goalie and the Dman, and an own goal that happens 1 / 1000 times) to win, that says it all.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Smith was not great tonight. I try not to blame the goalie usually, but he inexplicably looked away on the first goal and let in a softy on the third goal. The rest, I don't blame him for, but it made a big difference in the game. I thought the Khaira goal was a real backbreaker. Brossoit almost played chiropractor in the third, though.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Gio gets a pass; he's been strong all season. The coaching staff should be under the microscope for why our vaunted D-core is severely below average.
Too much reliance on D to D passes, and not enough on forwards supporting puck movement out of the zone. Janks, Bennett, Frolik and Backs are the only forwards consistently supporting the D.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Smith was not great tonight. I try not to blame the goalie usually, but he inexplicably looked away on the first goal and let in a softy on the third goal. The rest, I don't blame him for, but it made a big difference in the game. I thought the Khaira goal was a real backbreaker. Brossoit almost played chiropractor in the third, though.

The third goal was a muffin, but otherwise I thought he played okay. He faced what seemed like a ton of high-quality chances.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The third goal was a muffin, but otherwise I thought he played okay. He faced what seemed like a ton of high-quality chances.
The low angle on the first goal showed him looking away into the slot while the puck hit the boards. He wasn't set for what should have been an easy save. Bugged me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->