GDT: Battle in Music City: Calgary @ Nashville. 6PM MT, Sportsnet Flames

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
One thing that none of us seemed to mention in the preseason or the opening couple games, but how did the new chest protectors impact our goalies in camp?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Does Peluso come out next game? He played pretty well tonight
Honestly, I barely noticed him and I don't think that is a bad thing. I'd have no problem coming back with the same lineup, hard to fault Peters if he does after how well the entire team played tonight.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Go back to page 7 or 8 then.

This is also the same fanbase who thinks Deryk Engelland was a good defenseman.
I'll hop on this train: Stone is not a very good defenceman and I would prefer roughly 80 (maybe 90?)% of the other RD in the league to him. However, he wasn't bad in this particular game.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Stone is still a decent defenseman... But, Andersson played a pretty solid game.
I want to like Andersson more than I do. He does a lot of things reasonably well, but I'd like to see a little more creativity and better execution. So far my favourite thing about him is that every time I see him skate up the ice I imagine that's exactly what (fit) Jack Black would look like playing hockey. He is one stout dude.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I want to like Andersson more than I do. He does a lot of things reasonably well, but I'd like to see a little more creativity and better execution. So far my favourite thing about him is that every time I see him skate up the ice I imagine that's exactly what (fit) Jack Black would look like playing hockey. He is one stout dude.
6'1" 214 lbs according to the Flames website. Honestly, I thought he was shorter and smaller than that.

As to his creativity, I'd rather he just concentrate on the defensive aspects of the game this early in his career. The creativity will come once he feels more comfortable in his role.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
6'1" 214 lbs according to the Flames website. Honestly, I thought he was shorter and smaller than that.
I thought he lost a bit of weight? Either way, I like what I saw of Andersson tonight, a bit of a rough start, but I see a guy who has the potential to be offensively strong, but not a liability defensively (not great, but good enough that you aren't worried either).

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I thought he lost a bit of weight? Either way, I like what I saw of Andersson tonight, a bit of a rough start, but I see a guy who has the potential to be offensively strong, but not a liability defensively (not great, but good enough that you aren't worried either).

I noticed Andersson (and to a much lesser extent Valimaki) with a couple of turnovers in their own end but I liked that Peters didn't just bench them and they were out regularly. They got to learn by making mistakes.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@OvermanKingGainer You and Bill Peters have a huge difference of opinion about Mike Smith.

Go ahead... Tell us that Bill Peters doesn't know what he's talking about and he's wrong about Smith and you're right.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I noticed Andersson (and to a much lesser extent Valimaki) with a couple of turnovers in their own end but I liked that Peters didn't just bench them and they were out regularly. They got to learn by making mistakes.
I thought they both played outstanding tonight. Sure they made the occasional mistake but it wasn't a game filled with one mistake right after another. Every D-man makes mistakes. It's the nature of the game. The difference being is don't make critical mistakes that you can't recover from . They didn't.
For a 21 year old with 11 games NHL experience and a 20 year old with 2 games NHL experience, playing together for the first time, they were outstanding. I look forward to to watching them play together for many many more games and if they make mistakes I won't be upset because making mistakes is all part of learning. Sometimes we learn our best lessons from our mistakes.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
@OvermanKingGainer You and Bill Peters have a huge difference of opinion about Mike Smith.

Go ahead... Tell us that Bill Peters doesn't know what he's talking about and he's wrong about Smith and you're right.

You must be new here sweetheart.
OKG knows more than Scouts, Coaches, General Managers, Players, Fans and even Mascots.

I wouldn't matter what anyone said.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I'm going to chalk it up to first game jitters against a really strong Preds team. This is the same team that laid waste to the entire NHL last season.
I thought the 3rd pair had a couple shifts where they got locked in because of some questionable decisions, but also had 4-5 possessions in the offensive zone that really showed off their talents.

You live with it. These two will be top 4D for Calgary, for the next 10 years. You let them learn on the job; as long as it doesn't cost you dearly.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly, I barely noticed him and I don't think that is a bad thing. I'd have no problem coming back with the same lineup, hard to fault Peters if he does after how well the entire team played tonight.

I am of the same opinion.
If Peluso dresses next game, you don't really complain after beating a really, really good team 3-0; where your goalie/defence and special teams won you the game. You limited scoring chances to 10 High Danger chances (you got 7 yourself). For reference, Calgary have up 19 in their season opener.

I mean, I wouldn't cry to see Jankowski in as the 4LW over Peluso with Frolik moving back to his RW role; but I also wouldn't be overly surprised if we see the exact same lineup.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I wouldn't be surprised to see Peluso out and Hathaway in, as on Monday Peters said that changes were being made so players that haven't played get some time and I mean it'd make sense to give Hath a game considering he hasn't got in any yet.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised to see Peluso out and Hathaway in, as on Monday Peters said that changes were being made so players that haven't played get some time and I mean it'd make sense to give Hath a game considering he hasn't got in any yet.
I agree..

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I am of the same opinion.
If Peluso dresses next game, you don't really complain after beating a really, really good team 3-0; where your goalie/defence and special teams won you the game. You limited scoring chances to 10 High Danger chances (you got 7 yourself). For reference, Calgary have up 19 in their season opener.

I mean, I wouldn't cry to see Jankowski in as the 4LW over Peluso with Frolik moving back to his RW role; but I also wouldn't be overly surprised if we see the exact same lineup.
Agreed. I also would not be shocked to see Hathaway come in and get a game.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
One thing that none of us seemed to mention in the preseason or the opening couple games, but how did the new chest protectors impact our goalies in camp?
I think goalies are finding it a bit more difficult to stop the puck. I noticed that one goal Smith let in (I forget whether it was the first or second game) the puck skimmed right past the right side of his chest. I suspect with the larger chest protectors and a bigger jersey he would have stopped that.
This is a good thing. Scoring should go up and games will become more exciting. The size of goalie equipment was becoming ridiculous. The next equipment change that I look forward to is smaller leg pads. If you compare them to the pads used 20 years ago, today's pads are enormous. No wonder players have a difficult time scoring down low on the goalie.

5'11" Grant Fuhr
GF-1.jpg

6'2" Braden Holtby
gf-2.jpg

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Wait. Did someone say Mike Smith sucked last night? He literally was the biggest reason we won. I was happy to see the team play well against a tough foe (and they did, nice to see a quality PP), but if not for some Mike Smith heroics, that could've easily been a 3-3 tie headed to overtime, or worse...I said it since last season ended. This season will be determined by the health of Mike Smith. He's an unreal goalie, and with a young dcore / brodie re-learning the right side, we'll need him more than anyone.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I thought our D played very, very well last night. Stone fit in great with Hanifin, perhaps even better than Hammer has. Still it is only one game. Valimaki and Andersson should stay together the rest of the year in my opinion. They were up to the challenge, are skilled, and are soaking up these experiences that will only make them better.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wait. Did someone say Mike Smith sucked last night? He literally was the biggest reason we won. I was happy to see the team play well against a tough foe (and they did, nice to see a quality PP), but if not for some Mike Smith heroics, that could've easily been a 3-3 tie headed to overtime, or worse...I said it since last season ended. This season will be determined by the health of Mike Smith. He's an unreal goalie, and with a young dcore / brodie re-learning the right side, we'll need him more than anyone.

No someone said he was very average lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->