Status
Not open for further replies.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Up to & including awarding the Stumble Bees the Commissioner's Cup? :bee:

369703.jpg

They'll reward them with something, all right. Maybe an automatic playoff spot.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Is there a big market for hockey in Battle Creek? Let alone a bad team? Kalamazoo isn't far. Grand Rapids isn't far. Detroit isn't far. Good NCAA hockey isn't far.

Reactions: JMCx4

extra skater

Hockey Webcomics
May 9, 2015
Is there a big market for hockey in Battle Creek? Let alone a bad team? Kalamazoo isn't far. Grand Rapids isn't far. Detroit isn't far. Good NCAA hockey isn't far.
Many FHL/FPHL teams folded in its short history and most of them in better markets, so let alone in Battle Creek, alright. But I guess owners and potential owners want to give a try no matter what.
The funny thing is that maybe Battle Creek would fit better in the SPHL — and probably fold anyway.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Many FHL/FPHL teams folded in its short history and most of them in better markets, so let alone in Battle Creek, alright. But I guess owners and potential owners want to give a try no matter what.
The funny thing is that maybe Battle Creek would fit better in the SPHL — and probably fold anyway.
some are not making the distinction here between Battle Creek and Port Huron, which is the scorched market, just as Elmira is still trying to recover after how the Jackals ended, and Louisville, and why no league has looked at Kentucky since 2006.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
some are not making the distinction here between Battle Creek and Port Huron, which is the scorched market, just as Elmira is still trying to recover after how the Jackals ended, and Louisville, and why no league has looked at Kentucky since 2006.
LOL LOL LOL

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
Rumble Bees’ goalie Jacob Mullen faced 83 shots last night, and stopped 79.

Not good enough for one of the 3 stars, though. :skeptic::rolleyes:

Attachments

• A7B79277-7588-4E0B-881A-8D6825CBB29E.jpeg
    A7B79277-7588-4E0B-881A-8D6825CBB29E.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 6

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

extra skater

Hockey Webcomics
May 9, 2015
It's not a big deal.
The franchise will fold and some businessman will eventually put a team somewhere else.
For us it's a big thread-worth event. For Federal League it's Tuesday.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
In the ECHL.

And what is your point?

Actually, the CHL is out of business, and its teams joined the ECHL as expansion members en masse.

At the time the Central was looking at Louisville for a potential expansion, the league had seven teams and was not really a viable concern going forward. They were scratching and clawing for any market they could place a team into to potentially keep the wheels on the bus going round and round for another season.

Despite having 10 teams, the FPHL is not much different. They're trying to solve economic problems in good markets with zombie teams that only mitigate losses and have no real chance of success.

extra skater

Hockey Webcomics
May 9, 2015
Actually, the CHL is out of business, and its teams joined the ECHL as expansion members en masse.

At the time the Central was looking at Louisville for a potential expansion, the league had seven teams and was not really a viable concern going forward. They were scratching and clawing for any market they could place a team into to potentially keep the wheels on the bus going round and round for another season.

Despite having 10 teams, the FPHL is not much different. They're trying to solve economic problems in good markets with zombie teams that only mitigate losses and have no real chance of success.
So would you just prefer minor leagues to cease operations and that's it?

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So would you just prefer minor leagues to cease operations and that's it?

No, I don't think he's saying that. The issue is when leagues try to solve a blood hemorrhage with an Avengers Band-Aid.

The FPHL, as it exists, does have an existing base of teams that work and are viable, but then you have cases like the SWPA Magic or the North Shore Knights, and it's those types of teams that make the FPHL's reputation that much harder to work with. Battle Creek didn't get a draft unlike Delaware, and they had to start everything within three months just so the league could have an even number of teams and their Midwestern franchises could have something to travel to; that meant finding players willing to suit up and live in the area on short notice (if they didn't), get sponsors, and try, try to develop a local presence. If a league consistently is putting out teams that cannot (or will not) compete or get their act together, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when they do things right. It's a trust thing.

The end of the Central Hockey League saw them trying to solve the issue of team losses by randomly putting teams anywhere and everywhere. The Denver Cutthroats was them playing a new team in a crowded market in an aging arena. The Brampton Beast was... well, the Brampton Beast; need I say more? The St. Charles Chill was a similar issue to Denver (but instead of an aging arena, it was a smaller venue out in the sticks), and ultimately ran into a similar fate not unlike the Missouri River Otters. Ultimately, these stopgap solutions failed to help the CHL's long term survival. The FPHL's goal isn't long term survival, but prosperity. They want a Northeastern section devoted to Danbury (third or fourth times the charm, right?), Watertown, and Elimra. They want a Midwestern section that's more than just Port Huron and Danville. They actually want a Southeastern division so Winston-Salem has opponents. They have a strategy; do things as cheaply as possible, and have the market sort itself out. And it seems to be working. But mistakes like Battle Creek can cost them in the long run if they don't plan ahead.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The end of the Central Hockey League saw them trying to solve the issue of team losses by randomly putting teams anywhere and everywhere. The Denver Cutthroats was them playing a new team in a crowded market in an aging arena. ... The St. Charles Chill was a similar issue to Denver (but instead of an aging arena, it was a smaller venue out in the sticks), and ultimately ran into a similar fate not unlike the Missouri River Otters. ...
Just to set this part of the record straight: The St. Charles Family arena has hockey seating capacity of 9,643 vs. Denver Coliseum at 8,140. And the Family Arena is definitely not "out in the sticks"; it's in the 2nd largest county by population within the STL Metro area, and less than a 25-minute drive from Downtown. As for the fates of the Chill & the Otters franchises, they differ in all aspects beyond home arena & the prevailing St. Louis hockey community's bias toward the NHL product (which may never change). The Otters lasted seven UHL seasons, before League contraction & failing attendance shut off their lights. The CHL's one-n-done Chill were simply a half-arsed attempt by the owners of the Missouri Mavericks to prop up the rest of the League while the core team owners worked a deal with the ECHL. In the latter motivation, I see shades of Barry Soskin & the FPHL's most recent expansion efforts.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Just to set this part of the record straight: The St. Charles Family arena has hockey seating capacity of 9,643 vs. Denver Coliseum at 8,140. And the Family Arena is definitely not "out in the sticks"; it's in the 2nd largest county by population within the STL Metro area, and less than a 25-minute drive from Downtown. As for the fates of the Chill & the Otters franchises, they differ in all aspects beyond home arena & the prevailing St. Louis hockey community's bias toward the NHL product (which may never change). The Otters lasted seven UHL seasons, before League contraction & failing attendance shut off their lights. The CHL's one-n-done Chill were simply a half-arsed attempt by the owners of the Missouri Mavericks to prop up the rest of the League while the core team owners worked a deal with the ECHL. In the latter motivation, I see shades of Barry Soskin & the FPHL's most recent expansion efforts.

I'm willing to admit mistakes. I don't live in the St. Louis area, so I don't have the knowledge of the region like you do. I was, however, puzzled by the existence of the Chill and wondered why they came about.

That said, I stand resolute in everything else.

Meantime, congrats on that first win. Unfortunately, because they beat Elmira and their rather infamous reputation, they are kinda hosed since it's more of a "Ha ha, Elmira lost to the losers!" rather than "Congrats on your first win, guys!", so they can't even catch a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad