B-Sens Batherson, Norris, reassigned to Belleville

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Do they have to be physically in Belleville at 3pm, if so it's almost impossible for them to be recalled and play in Columbus tonight

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Have to be on Belleville’s roster at 3 for playoffs
Probably a paper move today

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'd leave Batherson here gor the rest of the year.

And I'd give Norris a 5 game taste and if he's looking good I'd leave him here

Then send them both to Belleville...they've put points in the bank so they should be good for the playoffs regardless

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll get ratioed hard for this, but whatever - I think that AHL playoff runs are overrated, and that NHL experience is more valuable for these players right now. It's embarrassing to see scrubs like Sabourin and now Peca out there masquerading as NHL players when we have good prospects in Belleville who are going to need their taste of the NHL eventually. Might as well be now.

Why do I feel this way? Largely because there is zero, and I mean zero, correlation between AHL playoff success and NHL success. Fans assume there is one, but if you check the history and the facts there simply isn't. The AHL affiliate is there to develop players for parent team - period, full stop. If they win in the playoffs it is a nice by-product, but it's not a prerequisite for NHL success for the players who play there.

Flame away...

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'll get ratioed hard for this, but whatever - I think that AHL playoff runs are overrated, and that NHL experience is more valuable for these players right now. It's embarrassing to see scrubs like Sabourin and now Peca out there masquerading as NHL players when we have good prospects in Belleville who are going to need their taste of the NHL eventually. Might as well be now.

Why do I feel this way? Largely because there is zero, and I mean zero, correlation between AHL playoff success and NHL success. Fans assume there is one, but if you check the history and the facts there simply isn't. The AHL affiliate is there to develop players for parent team - period, full stop. If they win in the playoffs it is a nice by-product, but it's not a prerequisite for NHL success for the players who play there.

Flame away...
You are right. However, I love me some AHL playoff hockey and I want to cheer for them as they go deep. That's why I want some good players in there.

Reactions: bert

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007

Flame away...

AHL playoffs are after the NHL season so it's not like it really matters after they've secured a spot in the postseason. The reason an AHL playoff run would be valuable is most of the top guys down there are our future core of players and on top of player development it will build good personal chemistry amongst them to go to battle together in the playoffs.

Reactions: bert and Smeddy

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah winning the AHL playoffs doesnt mean they can repeat that in a much different league, but if they can win it can give the players experience and confidence that they can draw on. Its mor the development bump they get than the correlation with team success between the two leagues i'd figure

Reactions: swiftwin and bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Flame away...

In most cases I'd agree

In our case, there's a half dozen guys there that are young and their best players and they are expected to be amongst our best players. Them having success together can't be a bad thing

Flip side is some guys individually might be better off with a hard summer of strength training

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Flame away...

Overall, I agree....but....we saw this fall what happened when spots were almost being gifted to the kids, and they pulled a no-show. I don't want to build the foundation of this team where any hot young stud or draft pedigree player simply has to show up at the first day in camp and be guaranteed a roster spot. That leads to the diva situation we see in Toronto right now, where you get a team of pampered kids who have no clue how to battle any adversity.

Make the kids earn it. Playoff success is just a bonus.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Overall, I agree....but....we saw this fall what happened when spots were almost being gifted to the kids, and they pulled a no-show. I don't want to build the foundation of this team where any hot young stud or draft pedigree player simply has to show up at the first day in camp and be guaranteed a roster spot. That leads to the diva situation we see in Toronto right now, where you get a team of pampered kids who have no clue how to battle any adversity.

Make the kids earn it. Playoff success is just a bonus.

I can't see that happening in the fall...too many guys that could play....there's going to be a lot of competition for jobs

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I'd leave Batherson here gor the rest of the year.

And I'd give Norris a 5 game taste and if he's looking good I'd leave him here

Then send them both to Belleville...they've put points in the bank so they should be good for the playoffs regardless

Don't we loose a year of ELC if Norris plays more then 8 games or whatever it is?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Nope. His clock is already ticking on his ELC.

ah I thought they had the entry level slide thing, I never have looked into or figured out how that works. Is it if he does not play in the AHL?

ohhh google says.. if he was 18 or 19 when he signed the contract, I guess its best for those guys to wait it out until 20 if they are not going to play in the NHl

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016

Flame away...
We're going to be pretty rough next season as well, so it's not like they urgently need the NHL experience in order to fit right into a team that's going to be challenging for playoffs.

If you are committed to the rebuild, you keep a number of the guys in the AHL, let them go on a run together so they understand what it means to go through the playoff slog together, build positivity heading into next season. Good for both morale, and for the future if it is every necessary. Then bring them up to start the season, even if we're bad.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
ah I thought they had the entry level slide thing, I never have looked into or figured out how that works. Is it if he does not play in the AHL?

ohhh google says.. if he was 18 or 19 when he signed the contract, I guess its best for those guys to wait it out until 20 if they are not going to play in the NHl

No the slide is for teenagers is my understanding. They have to go back to junior or in the case of euro juniors can go to the AHL.

All of our AHL players are on ELCs. Pardon me, all the young guys that are talked about on the board frequently

The problem is a guy like Brown. Suppose he comes up next year, has a good season and post 55 points. That's not unreasonable. Then his contract is up. But he's only played on season really

Colin white is another example. We burned a year on his elc when he played the 2 games in 16 17. The following year he breaks his arm in camp and never really gets going and only plays 20 games. Then he had a good year last year, was technically a rookie, but it was the last year of his deal.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
No the slide is for teenagers is my understanding. They have to go back to junior or in the case of euro juniors can go to the AHL.

All of our AHL players are on ELCs. Pardon me, all the young guys that are talked about on the board frequently

The problem is a guy like Brown. Suppose he comes up next year, has a good season and post 55 points. That's not unreasonable. Then his contract is up. But he's only played on season really

Colin white is another example. We burned a year on his elc when he played the 2 games in 16 17. The following year he breaks his arm in camp and never really gets going and only plays 20 games. Then he had a good year last year, was technically a rookie, but it was the last year of his deal.

ahh. I get it, thank you
I have a feeling that the coach right or wrong is going to suggest they trade Brown because the team building basketball guy thinks everyone should have a happy lucky never complain or be upset attitude.
I could be mistaken but that's my hunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad