(Basketball) NCAA discriminating against (specific) agent?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NCAA's 'Rich Paul Rule' shows its contempt for basketball players

NCAA requiring that players speak with a "NCAA certified agent" before determining whether to return to college or go pro. Qualifications required for certification include: 7 years of address history, test/interview, NBA agent certification and bachelor's degree

LeBron says that his agent Rich Paul is being discriminated against and he doesn't "need" a degree to do his job well.

It also doesn't signify business ethics. Neither does passing some test or having seven years of housing history or experience with the NBPA. There are an untold number of shady agents who had a wall full of degrees inside their lavish homes that bilked clients for money.

It’s hard to imagine any well-meaning group even coming up with such a concept. And some test taking in Indy? It’s bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy, regulations upon regulations.

Definitely sounds ill conceived.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think its getting blown up a little too much.

I'm not surprised they did this tho, LeBron has been an outspoken critic of the NCAA, especially the last couple years, he's even made documentary's about paying the players and treating them better. We all know the NCAA hates getting criticized.

He can still rep the player if they decide to turn pro. Yea he can't advise them if they are on the fence about turning pro but its not like that's going to make him a lot of money anyways.

This will screw guys who have their dads/brothers/friends etc as agents/advisers. Some may not have all of those qualifications.

What gets me tho is there are former players who are now agents.... some of whom never finished their degree. NCAA is really going to block out those guys as well? :facepalm:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
NCAA apparently released a statement on twitter regarding these new rules but seems to be gone now. Here is what it contained:

“Although some can and have been successful without a college degree, as a higher education organization, the NCAA values a college education and continues to emphasize the importance of earning a degree. We were guided by recommendations from the Commission on College Basketball — which spoke with the agent and advisor community — that the NCAA certification process should be more stringent than current processes. With this in mind, we benchmarked our new rules against requirements for other organizations that certify agents, like the NBPA, which also requires agents to have a bachelor’s degree. While different and distinct, our rules taken together, which is the manner they were meant to be examined, provide a clear opportunity for our student-athletes to receive excellent advice from knowledgeable professionals on either the college or professional path they choose,” the statement read.”

NCAA Releases Statement Drawing Criticism For Rich Paul Rule

If NBPA also requires a degree how come Rich Paul is certified? Some sort of grandfathering?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
NCAA apparently released a statement on twitter regarding these new rules but seems to be gone now. Here is what it contained:

NCAA Releases Statement Drawing Criticism For Rich Paul Rule

If NBPA also requires a degree how come Rich Paul is certified? Some sort of grandfathering?

Do they require a degree tho? Cause Paul's been a certified agent for 7 years now, so that must be recent.

NHLPA doesn't a require a degree IIRC, you just have to pass all the tests. Its how guys like Orr have become agents after their playing careers. Requiring a degree isn't a bad idea, but if I have one in history for example, how exactly does that help my client or my practice? Former players often do not have one either and they typically do OK.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Updated rules (from CBS story linked above)
The NCAA will still require agents representing players who might return to school to have NBPA certification for a minimum of three consecutive years, maintain professional liability insurance, complete the NCAA qualification exam and pay the required fees.

3 years of certification is legitimate, as is the liability insurance (which can be expensive).

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It's getting to the point where I feel like LeBron and his pals rule all aspects of Basketball, not just the NBA, and all basketball-related decisions go through him and his entourage. He's taken some of the fun out of the sport for me.

Reactions: Voight and DaveG

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Do they require a degree tho? Cause Paul's been a certified agent for 7 years now, so that must be recent.

NHLPA doesn't a require a degree IIRC, you just have to pass all the tests. Its how guys like Orr have become agents after their playing careers. Requiring a degree isn't a bad idea, but if I have one in history for example, how exactly does that help my client or my practice? Former players often do not have one either and they typically do OK.

Turns out NCAA has dropped degree requirement however for NBPA this is what I found with a quick google:

"To be eligible for certification, the applicant must have received a degree from an accredited four year college or university, provided that the NBPA, in its unreviewable discretion, may accept relevant negotiating experience to substitute for any year(s) of formal education. "

Becoming An Agent - National Basketball Players Association

Substitution is possible although there is no guidance on what "relevant negotiation experience" is - at NBPA discretion. For existing agents such as Paul without a degree obviously past experience was not an issue.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's getting to the point where I feel like LeBron and his pals rule all aspects of Basketball, not just the NBA, and all basketball-related decisions go through him and his entourage. He's taken some of the fun out of the sport for me.

NCAA was the one facet where I thought he wouldn't be able to have any control, since he never went to college. :facepalm:

Turns out NCAA has dropped degree requirement however for NBPA this is what I found with a quick google:

"To be eligible for certification, the applicant must have received a degree from an accredited four year college or university, provided that the NBPA, in its unreviewable discretion, may accept relevant negotiating experience to substitute for any year(s) of formal education. "

Becoming An Agent - National Basketball Players Association

Substitution is possible although there is no guidance on what "relevant negotiation experience" is - at NBPA discretion. For existing agents such as Paul without a degree obviously past experience was not an issue.

Well Paul interned/worked with CAA, Brons old agency for 7 or 8 years so thats the relevant experience they probably needed. Helped that he worked under LBJ's old agent, Leon Rose, who's one of the more notable agents.

Plus let's not forget that CP3 (one of LeBrons closest friends) is the NBAPA president and James used to be the VP. I'm not trying to throw conspiracy theories out here but it wouldn't be crazy to suggest they helped him speed up the application process.

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Just wait until LeBron gets his hands on pickup basketball. We're all gonna have to sign a contract and pay an agent (likely his bud Rich Paul) just to even play the sport

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad