Blue Jays Discussion: Baseball's back! Maybe (Plan to start late July unless things go sideways)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
David price has announced he will opt out of the 2020 season.
That trade just keeps getting worse for the dodgers who will only get 60 games out of Mookie.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
theres a snowballs chance in hell if McDavid leaves the bubble theyre kicking him out of the playoffs. Same goes for about 25 other guys.

Take it up with Burkie. Doesn’t sound like it’s optional

It’s what he said, it should be a big enough deterrent to prevent anyone, including McDavid from leaving the site or breaking any health rules.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
David price has announced he will opt out of the 2020 season.
That trade just keeps getting worse for the dodgers who will only get 60 games out of Mookie.

Good thing LA didn’t trade Stripling. Sucks that they moved Maeda though.

Betts helps a lot but it’s WS or bust for the Dodgers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's a good thing baseball is back and "quarantine" is over for these players because it looks like Pablo ate literally everything he was quarantining with :sarcasm:

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Imagine what Panda’s gonna look after retirement. This is what an extra few months off did to him. He’ll make a guest appearance on My 600lbs life
....after he loses 600 lbs first.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Colleague Hazel Mae reported that first-round pick Austin Martin and the Blue Jays are in agreement on a deal, pending a physical. It’s believed that fourth-round pick Nick Frasso is in the same boat, and that both deals could be announced this week.

This is from Shi Davidi’s latest column. Good to hear.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
7 candidates to go from sub-.500 to playoffs

Blue Jays (8.0%)
2019 record: 67-95

The up-and-coming Blue Jays might have better postseason odds if they weren’t in the AL East, but they share a division with the Yankees (74.5%), Rays (60.9%) and Red Sox (38.1%), who all have odds above 38%. Toronto is still a team to watch, however, as youngsters Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and Nate Pearson could team with free-agent addition Hyun-Jin Ryu to help the Jays exceed expectations in this shortened season.

Reactions: David MORO

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Knowing what you guys know about how the draft fell and who signed for what. With all things being equal, what would you prefer;

Stick with you draft of Martin, Van Eyk, Palmer, Frasso and Britton;

Or

Draft SP Cole Wilcox (3.3M) or SP Jared Kelley (3M) in the 2nd round and punt on your 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks to save money to sign a top high school arm.

Jays bonus pool for their 2nd-5th round picks plus the 5% was roughly 3.7M. Jays would have had 40k for their 3rd-5th round picks if they signed Wilcox or 70k if they signed Kelley.

Basically you come away with 2 high potential players vs 1 high potential players, 2 good arms in Van Eyk and Palmer plus 2 lottery tickets in Frasso and Britton.

If they were willing to comes to Toronto and sign for what they signed, I know I would take my chances with Wilcox or Kelley over Van Eyk, Palmer, Frasso and Britton.

Last edited:

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I would do what they did. In a deep draft, which is what this was, it doesn't make much sense to punt picks and limit yourself to two players. If you go by pick analysis; Van Eyk alone was pitching at a 1st-round grade for parts of this season - so how much "better" a player are you really getting in Wilcox or Kelley? Kelley doesn't even fit our scouting models (his pitch metrics aren't what data-heavy teams look for).

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I would do what they did. In a deep draft, which is what this was, it doesn't make much sense to punt picks and limit yourself to two players. If you go by pick analysis; Van Eyk alone was pitching at a 1st-round grade for parts of this season - so how much "better" a player are you really getting in Wilcox or Kelley? Kelley doesn't even fit our scouting models (his pitch metrics aren't what data-heavy teams look for).

Agree with this fully, and that doesn't even include my general dislike of HS arms.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Knowing what you guys know about how the draft fell and who signed for what. With all things being equal, what would you prefer;

Stick with you draft of Martin, Van Eyk, Palmer, Frasso and Britton;

Or

Draft SP Cole Wilcox (3.3M) or SP Jared Kelley (3M) in the 2nd round and punt on your 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks to save money to sign a top high school arm.

Jays bonus pool for their 2nd-5th round picks plus the 5% was roughly 3.7M. Jays would have had 40k for their 3rd-5th round picks if they signed Wilcox or 70k if they signed Kelley.

Basically you come away with 2 high potential players vs 1 high potential players, 2 good arms in Van Eyk and Palmer plus 2 lottery tickets in Frasso and Britton.

If they were willing to comes to Toronto and sign for what they signed, I know I would take my chances with Wilcox or Kelley over Van Eyk, Palmer, Frasso and Britton.
We got a consensus top pick in the draft, and at worst 4 lottery tickets. In baseball I'd almost always take quantity over quality because of how the odds shake out in this sport, but we also go the best quality player to go along with quantity so its a win-win for me.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad