OT: Baseball?

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I know my reasons for hating Toronto do not in any way negate other people's reasons for liking them. My feelings are largely irrational, in that there has only once, in 1994, been any kind of sustained rivalry between a Vancouver team and a Toronto team. The fact that there are more Jays fans at Mariners games than Mariners fans is a failing of Seattle to market well in BC. I get all that. I do, but I hate Toronto, and likely always will. And I'm not taking meds for it. ;)

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I know my reasons for hating Toronto do not in any way negate other people's reasons for liking them. My feelings are largely irrational, in that there has only once, in 1994, been any kind of sustained rivalry between a Vancouver team and a Toronto team. The fact that there are more Jays fans at Mariners games than Mariners fans is a failing of Seattle to market well in BC. I get all that. I do, but I hate Toronto, and likely always will. And I'm not taking meds for it. ;)

I follow and like, but don't love the Jays. I follow them in part because I did in 1980's and 1990's until my (mostly) allegiance switched to the Giants. But for me it is more because I really hate the Seahawks and somewhat dislike the Mariners.

I have followed the 49ers pretty closely since the late 1970's and lived in the San Francisco for almost 12 years. I liked the Seahawks of the Chuck Knox era (Dave Krieg / Curt Warner / Kenny Easley / Steve Largent, etc.) but that didn't interfere with my 49ers loyalty because the Hawks were in the AFC (and they were rivals of the hated Raiders). I was ambivalent to the Hawks in the 1990's, but that changed in 2002 when they became NFC West divisional rivals. For a 49ers fan, the media love-fest for the Seahawks is every bit as irritating as the TSN love-fest for the Leafs.

I also follow the SF Giants and have since the mid 1990's. However since neither the Mariners or Blue Jays are in the NL, they don't compete directly, but some of my Seahawk hate just seems to rub off on the Mariners. Rational? Probably not, but whatever.

Feb 24, 2017
I think you're underestimating how many people actually travel from BC to Seattle to watch the Hawks.

I went to my first Hawks game last season and I saw plenty of BC plates on my travels there.

No, that's not what I meant. People legit love he ****hawks around here. Now they do, since they're a league power the last 5 years. Before that? Probably similar to those Jays in Seattle attendance numbers now vs then.

People here love a winner. Nothing wrong with it. But they ain't gonna be there in the lean times.

Feb 24, 2017
I follow and like, but don't love the Jays. I follow them in part because I did in 1980's and 1990's until my (mostly) allegiance switched to the Giants. But for me it is more because I really hate the Seahawks and somewhat dislike the Mariners.

I have followed the 49ers pretty closely since the late 1970's and lived in the San Francisco for almost 12 years. I liked the Seahawks of the Chuck Knox era (Dave Krieg / Curt Warner / Kenny Easley / Steve Largent, etc.) but that didn't interfere with my 49ers loyalty because the Hawks were in the AFC (and they were rivals of the hated Raiders). I was ambivalent to the Hawks in the 1990's, but that changed in 2002 when they became NFC West divisional rivals. For a 49ers fan, the media love-fest for the Seahawks is every bit as irritating as the TSN love-fest for the Leafs.

I also follow the SF Giants and have since the mid 1990's. However since neither the Mariners or Blue Jays are in the NL, they don't compete directly, but some of my Seahawk hate just seems to rub off on the Mariners. Rational? Probably not, but whatever.

At a super quick glance that 2001 Mariners team kinda resembles that 2011 Canucks. Both had best offence and defense in the league, both were the top record in the league, and both failed to close the deal.

You might even argue that the 1996 Supersonics were as good as any team to lose to the Bulls in the NBA Final, taking the then league record 72-10 Bulls to 6.

Outside of the 2013-2014 ****hawks, the PAC NW is throwing up a pretty good legacy of "almost" haha

Feb 24, 2017
I personally know a lot of people who suddenly discovered how much they always loved the Seahawks a few years ago.

If basically anyone reading this doesn't respond like you just did, they're lying haha
This town supports winners very well, and isn't afraid to latch on to someone else's winning to get that thrill.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I didn't know a single Seahawks fan prior to Marshawn Lynch rumbling through the entire Saints defence. I know people who cheered for them against Pittsburgh in the SB, and complaining about getting screwed, but then they forgot about them again for another 5 years.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I didn't know a single Seahawks fan prior to Marshawn Lynch rumbling through the entire Saints defence. I know people who cheered for them against Pittsburgh in the SB, and complaining about getting screwed, but then they forgot about them again for another 5 years.

As mentioned before, this fanbase will latch onto anything winning. This is why we can't have nice things and why we can't support other major sports.

A baseball team that isn't competitive would go belly up so fast in this market. Football too.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
As mentioned before, this fanbase will latch onto anything winning. This is why we can't have nice things and why we can't support other major sports.

A baseball team that isn't competitive would go belly up so fast in this market. Football too.

The fact that sports fans in Vancouver/BC are fickle is not the one reason why MLB and NFL are a bad idea here and haven't happened yet. The reasons are numerous, that is just one of many.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The fact that sports fans in Vancouver/BC are fickle is not the one reason why MLB and NFL are a bad idea here and haven't happened yet. The reasons are numerous, that is just one of many.

Never said it was the sole reason. I am aware of the others. Fan support is kind of a big factor, I would argue the biggest.

A stadium etc means nothing if it isn't going to be filled.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Never said it was the sole reason. I am aware of the others. Fan support is kind of a big factor, I would argue the biggest.

A stadium etc means nothing if it isn't going to be filled.

You can have all the fans in the world if but if there isn't a stadium to play the games in... :sarcasm:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We don't have one (aka stadium) because we don't have the other (aka fans).
More like we don't have a stadium because not even Steve Jobs could sell the taxpayers into funding a new stadium (for numerous reasons - not the least of which the amount of homeless in the city). Far too many cities elsewhere seem willing to give billionaires corporate welfare.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
More like we don't have a stadium because not even Steve Jobs could sell the taxpayers into funding a new stadium (for numerous reasons - not the least of which the amount of homeless in the city). Far too many cities elsewhere seem willing to give billionaires corporate welfare.

Once again, there's no demand for teams here, well, not enough to even begin the process.

BC is just fine with the Canucks, traveling to Seattle to watch the Jays and act like fans for awhile and do the same with the Seahawks.

BC has a hard time committing to sports teams longterm

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"Once again"....;)

There aren't that many cities in North America that will support a losing/poorly run team for a prolonged period of time. And even in those cities that do, you'll STILL get teams that move because the owner can get more lucrative deals elsewhere (ie., subsidized new arenas that offer more things like luxory boxes, etc.,).

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Like the moves the Jays did. Think they'll still move Bautista in August if the return is good enough. Same with Estrada.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I'm a very casual Packers fan. For the most part, I enjoy watching a team other than the Patriots winning.

Went to the C's game yesterday. It was pretty decent, but I noticed that baseball has become a bit too slow for me. Fond memories of going to Safeco to watch the Red Sox and Yankees though.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Once again, there's no demand for teams here, well, not enough to even begin the process.

BC is just fine with the Canucks, traveling to Seattle to watch the Jays and act like fans for awhile and do the same with the Seahawks.

It's too nice out here to care that much about sports, maybe. I really don't think Vancouver is a sports town at all. It's hard enough to meet a diehard Canucks fan. I would at least like the Grizzlies back, but even then I probably wouldn't go to that many games, especially if they are priced like Canucks tickets.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's too nice out here to care that much about sports, maybe. I really don't think Vancouver is a sports town at all. It's hard enough to meet a diehard Canucks fan. I would at least like the Grizzlies back, but even then I probably wouldn't go to that many games, especially if they are priced like Canucks tickets.

Yeah I don't know. The culture is just different here. While there are things to do in other cities, they've just been born and raised on their teams, New York Chicago Boston Detroit etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad