Blue Jays Discussion: Presenting your 2020 Buffalo Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, they're not treating this as a developmental year. In 60 games a hot team has a shot to go all the way.
Exactly. They want to maximize this rare opportunity in what is essentially a sprint to the finish year.

A hot start would set them up for a playoff position.

Reactions: stickty111

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah with Bichette, Biggio, Austin Martin, Shaw, Groshans we are STACKED in the infield. Vlad to 1B makes sense. And if Groshans and/or Shaw can work out at 3B long term then Martin can play CF
Pretty safe to assume that Shaw is the bridge to Groshans. I don't think his tweets have endeared himself with that fans or the organization.

The top tier talent the Jays have amassed in such a short time is nothing short of amazing. This is going to be a fun ride.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Been critical of Shatkins but I love this core assuming nobody busts.. just imagine they didnt fumble the Donaldson trade though...

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Been critical of Shatkins but I love this core assuming nobody busts.. just imagine they didnt fumble the Donaldson trade though...
In all fairness Donaldson pulled a diva routine during his recovery, and tanked his own value.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
He should of been traded with 1 year left on his deal though, they took a stupid chance and it backfired huge.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He should of been traded with 1 year left on his deal though, they took a stupid chance and it backfired huge.
Remember that he was injured to end the season before too, and we have no idea the offers they were getting. Perhaps they thought they could build his value up by showing he was healthy and back to his MVP form, which was reasonable to assume, which would have made him the most sought after player at the deadline.

Every move is easy to criticize with the benefit of a whole pile of hindsight, and especially with your stated bias against them.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm sorry Travis Shaw, at first I thought "not an option" and "False. Not going to happen" meant you wouldn't follow the rules. Now I understand it really meant you have inside sources with Canada's Public Health Agency and know that the Jays playing all season in Toronto just isn't an option, because what else could it mean? :sarcasm:

I doubt he was actually threatening to break the rules because well, that would just be dumb. Rather a frustrated twitter rant but come on man, put the shovel down.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The deal I heard was Flaherty straight up. But anyways despite that we got a great core.
There was a lot of chatter after the fact about that. Maybe they had better offers on the table, but teams were waiting for Donaldson to prove to be healthy.

Without a doubt Flaherty would have looked great in a Jays uni anchoring the rotation.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Blows my mind that Shaw being upset actually hurts peoples feelings around here. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in a bubble all summer long either. I don’t blame him for saying that.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
No he's just pointing out the hypocrisy of Twitter/people. He hasn't done anything wrong

I don’t necessarily think he’s done anything wrong but it would be best for him to not really engage with fans on social media. It’s a no win situation for him.

Also, a lot of Canadians are anxious of Americans coming into the country because their response to Covid has been an absolute disaster. If America was getting a similar rate of cases to Canada I don’t think you’d see some fans heated responses to Shaw.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean he clearly said he would break the rules. I don't really get his point.

It sucks to be locked up in a hotel, but those are the rules, and they are correctly in place.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I mean he clearly said he would break the rules. I don't really get his point.

It sucks to be locked up in a hotel, but those are the rules, and they are correctly in place.

People inferred that he would break the rules. I wouldn't say he clearly said that he would break the rules. First of all, it seemed pretty clear that he was frustrated about rules that either he hadn't been clearly told or wasn't clearly listening to when told. But the "No option. Not gonna happen" could easily mean that he was going to fight to try get the rule changed or that he was going to demand a trade so he wouldn't need to deal with the rules. Whatever." There were more interpretations of what he said than "I'm going to break the rules." The problem is as much (if not more) with how people react to tweets as it is with the tweets themselves.

Reactions: landy92mack29

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Blows my mind that Shaw being upset actually hurts peoples feelings around here. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in a bubble all summer long either. I don’t blame him for saying that.

Agreed. The tweets he showed were crybaby wahwahs who have been all over twitter. Im about to go to the Eaton Centre because I can.. why cant Shaw once hes been here 2 weeks?

Athletes cant win. When they opt out theyre p***yes. When they speak up about how much it sucks they need to basically shut up and dribble.

Reactions: Gargyn

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I don’t necessarily think he’s done anything wrong but it would be best for him to not really engage with fans on social media. It’s a no win situation for him.

Also, a lot of Canadians are anxious of Americans coming into the country because their response to Covid has been an absolute disaster. If America was getting a similar rate of cases to Canada I don’t think you’d see some fans heated responses to Shaw.
It's a no win situation for him because he doesn't agree with what a certain segment of the population has been told to think. A lot of people want players to interact with fans more but the negative thing with online interaction is people can attack you while being anonymous saying crap they wouldn't dare in person. I for one hope players continue to be active online/with fans even though I definitely don't agree with everything they say.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Agreed. The tweets he showed were crybaby wahwahs who have been all over twitter. Im about to go to the Eaton Centre because I can.. why cant Shaw once hes been here 2 weeks?

Athletes cant win. When they opt out theyre p***yes. When they speak up about how much it sucks they need to basically shut up and dribble.

because you're not potentially constantly in contact with people from all over the continent, including parts of the US that are among the most corona-tastic at the moment. And also not traveling to and from those regions yourself throughout the next 2 months.

If Shaw wants to opt out, cool. More power to him. But if he wants to play baseball he's gonna have to suck it up and live by the rules that are allowing baseball to be played. Because the alternative to "I don't wanna stay in a fancy hotel and not go out in public for 2 months" is "well, then there's no baseball because we're not violating the controls that are helping keep a lid on this thing just because you feel personally inconvenienced by a small and necessary reduction in your 'freedoms'."

Reactions: Mach85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad