Blue Jays Discussion: Presenting your 2020 Buffalo Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean they haven't been living here for the past few months so they aren't going to be up to speed with our laws. I'd be shocked if any of them knew there would be a quarantine period until the Jays told them.

And even then, I'm sure most of them didn't process the fact that it would reset every time they cross the border.

The PA directly told a league a bubble wouldn't work, so its not surprising that players are upset about what is in effect a quasi-bubble.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
TBH with the way Montoyo and the Jays have been talking about trying to stay in a good mindset about the situation I don't think 1 year of Travis Shaw is important enough to keep him off waivers and say goodbye for being against this whole situation. Now if a lot of players feel the same way then we have an issue that's only resolved by just having them play the season in the US somewhere, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to just see Shaw traded or DFA'd. He's not that important. It would probably mean a year of Tellez at 1st full time which isn't all that exciting either but maybe there's something there IDK.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
What did Shaw expect? They were going to strictly enforce it for "spring" training and then when the season starts sure go do whatever you like? What exactly would be the point of doing it for 2 weeks then when you're travelling back and forth to the US over and over all season?

I imagine it's two weeks every time you arrive from another country - aka the entire season for the Jays unless they have a homestand that is longer than two weeks. He may not have understood that part.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Damn Montoyo sent Shaw to double quarantine

Tossing in this Wilner tweet as its more aggressive re: Vlad mostly playing 1B/DH

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Seems like Shaw is playing 3B, and this is apparently where I learn that he is in fact a third baseman.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We all knew that was coming. Seems a little pointless now to go through the minors as a 3rd baseman for only 1 year of that in the majors, but who knows you try it because it might stick. Hope he can be average to above average defensively at 1st.

Reactions: stickty111

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Opens 3B up for Martin or Groshans long term. I still like Groshans at 3B and Martin in CF.

Surprised Vladdy is moving off 3B after just one season but it is absolutely the right move.
I think if this was a full season, they would have Vladdy at 3rd. But this is a very unique year where they have a chance to make a lot of noise, so it's less of a developmental year and more of a "win now" year.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
We all knew that was coming. Seems a little pointless now to go through the minors as a 3rd baseman for only 1 year of that in the majors, but who knows you try it because it might stick. Hope he can be average to above average defensively at 1st.
I think the hope was that he would find his way into a gym at some point and at that point you are trying to maximize the future value. Same reason you let prospects come up as shortstops and then move them around once it becomes clear they can't or fill a need elsewhere.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Probably just annoying being in a top city like Toronto and you can’t go out. I’d be annoyed too esp since Ontario has 200!!!!!!! Cases a day and most are by Windsor

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Dang it, I really want to like him. But he's acting like a diva right now. The living conditions are not that bad.

Yeah its pretty ridiculous for him to be acting like that. 2.5 months plus potential playoffs to make a couple million. If you dont like that the Jays and the Canadian government went out on a limb for you to make those millions and provide for your family then opt out.

It is a terrible look.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I think Vladdy ends up as only a DH which really sucks. I don’t see him being great at stretching for a tough throw or digging some out of the dirt. Hope I’m wrong because I’m not a fan of a guy who can only DH. Unless of course he kills the baseball this year and shows how he will be a regular 40 home run guy while batting .300 and knocking in 100 RBI. Then he can do what he wants in grammas kitchen.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Seems like Shaw is playing 3B, and this is apparently where I learn that he is in fact a third baseman.

Really? He played about 70% of his games at 3B. One of the main reasons the Jays preferred him to Smoak. He could play 1B and 3B, plus had an extra year of control.

Reactions: Anthrax442

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
From a broadcast employee from reddit;

This is good to hear. As much as I carp about all sorts of non-regular-season sports not getting covered (stuff like these intersquad games or, for me, the annual prospect tournament that the San Jose Sharks hold) as much as we think "yeah, it's easy: Just plunk a camera in a good vantage point and let it run!" it's never actually that easy.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Huff instigating, Stroman being Stroman and Grichuk pretty much confirming the story that Stroman got the strength coach to kick out "30" minor league players from the weight room in ST in 2019 so Stroman can work out by himself.

Reactions: Anthrax442
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad