Speculation: Barzal's next contract

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
So I figured this might be worth some discussion. After this season ends, Barzal will be able to sign an extension. Does Lou give him the extension now? Or does he wait until he end of next season to do so? Would it benefit Lou to get the extension done now after a "down" year and sign him for less, or wait for him to potentially go off next year and command big bucks?
Also, what does everything think he's going to get?
Mods, feel free to merge this thread with something else if needed

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
This one will be tough. Really depends on how he does next season. If he puts up another 50-60 point season, then he may get what Nylander got. If he comes back to his 80 point self, then he may get what Marner gets.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Depends when he signs. If he doesn't return to his rookie year numbers before he signs, I don't think he'll get as much as some people thought.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d try to extend him this summer but his agent will probably want to wait.

He could have a monster year next year and get really expensive.

Reactions: doublechili

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I am thinking 3 years get him to UFA so the negotiating point will be 3 or 4+ years.

After that meeting with the crossbar yesterday and some of the stuff this kid is receiving lately, I suggest he goes long term.

3 x $4M
4 x $5M
5 x $6.5M
6 x $8M

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If they change the rules for when a player becomes a UFA in the next CBA, would that apply retroactively to an existing contract? That's an important consideration.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Im going to guess Barzal gets a bridge deal this offseason. 3 years 24 million, mostly built on signing bonuses. Gives Barzal insurance incase of a lockout, and gives the isles team control at the end of his contract.

I can't imagine Barzal signing a 3 year deal. Maybe Beauvillier, but Barzal will be either be a 1-2 year bridge OR a long term extension.

Reactions: Morrison

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Extend him now. He's still going to cost a ton, but you might be able to work out some sort of reasonable 3-4 year deal. If we wait until after next year when he scores 90-100 points playing with Panarin or someone else then he's going to cost a lot more.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Signing Barzal AND Pulock to advantageous long term deals for the organization should be Lamoriello’s parting gift for whoever succeeds him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Whatever we offer him, if he declines, trade him. For obvious reasons.

The difference here is that he's an RFA for a few more years so we own his rights no matter what and have time to figure out what to do.

If he was a UFA then of course I totally agree, but I think he resigns as long as Lou/Trotz are here.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Signing Barzal AND Pulock to advantageous long term deals for the organization should be Lamoriello’s parting gift for whoever succeeds him.

Yes, but if he simply gets rid of Ladd's contract...

giphy.gif

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't know why people think this year was a down year. The team played tight defensively and if anything, Barzal has proven he's a legitimate 2-way player and not just an offensive dynamo. A different system he may have been right up where he was before. You've got a lockerroom full of guys who didn't reach their normal career numbers (with a couple that surpassed due to more play time and what have you). So I don't think Barzal's contract is any less money than it would have been after last year. If anything his value has gone up.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Do it now! He spent this last year being roped into to Trotz system and breaking the habits of Weight's wide open style. There was a good article on Lighthouse today about that. Next year he'll be trusted more with Eberle (if he resigns) and Lee. The price is only going to to go up......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad