Barzal with incredible goal between the legs

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
That Hertl goal is not even close to the Barzal one. Why is it even being brought up? One game was a 7-2 laugher with 8 min in the 3rd left, the other losing in the 2nd.

Hertl had no one touching him as he drifted to the net, Barzy shook Risto to the boards.

GOTY so far for sure.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
...but you did?

upload_2021-3-6_17-9-13.gif

Green

Nov 13, 2019
who was the first NHLer to try one of those between the legs goal and succeed in a game?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Impressive display of his artistry though he flubbed the shot. This is not a goal of the year, he won a single race staying strong on the puck and then he didn't even lift the puck trying his move while he was all alone.

At this point the game has evolved where this is no longer mind blowing and that impressive. I just shrug my shoulders when I see these goals at this point, no different than a regular wrist shot in 2021 compared to say 2011.

Next evolution of this is going for a lacrosse style spin goal starting with the stick from between your legs in a game.

Anyways wonder if this kid makes Team Canada 2022, seems to be hitting his stride here.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This one is definitely a contender too.

Gotta say that in my books McDavid's goal is the leading candidate for GOTY. Barzal's goal is a trick shot that lots of players can do. McDavid's goal is a result of pure talent that most players, if not all players, in the league will never be able to accomplish in the NHL.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Gotta say that in my books McDavid's goal is the leading candidate for GOTY. Barzal's goal is a trick shot that lots of players can do. McDavid's goal is a result of pure talent that most players, if not all players, in the league will never be able to accomplish in the NHL.

Link all the between the leg goals like this over the past few seasons where the player beats the defender one-on-one too.

Not saying McDavid's goal isn't in the conversation but to downplay Barzal's goal and say a lot of guys can do it is ridiculous.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Wow some of you guys are waaaay too focused on elevating the puck. What the f*ck does that even matter? He put it in a great spot where the goalie couldn't get it.

Some of the posts of "it was nice, but nothing special since he didn't elevate it" are so incredibly dumb.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Link all the between the leg goals like this over the past few seasons where the player beats the defender one-on-one too.

Not saying McDavid's goal isn't in the conversation but to downplay Barzal's goal and say a lot of guys can do it is ridiculous.
He had a single defender to get past. Happens all the time. He just threw a trick shot into the mix to score the goal.
Not saying that its not a nice goal to watch but its definitely not the leading candidate for GOTY. And yes.. lots of guys can score between the legs goals. I think M Tkachuk, alone, may have three or four of them if I'm not mistaken.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He had a single defender to get past. Happens all the time. He just threw a trick shot into the mix to score the goal.
Not saying that its not a nice goal to watch but its definitely not the leading candidate for GOTY. And yes.. lots of guys can score between the legs goals. I think M Tkachuk, alone, may have three or four of them if I'm not mistaken.

You said a lot of players could score the way he did...so I asked for the goals. Seems reasonable to me. You named one player. I'm not even saying that this is the GOTY, just that saying that a lot of players can do it is just not true.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Maybe because it was such a high profile goal but it seems like since the Malik goal you see one of these every few seasons. I don't remember seeing these goals before that.

Tbf the Malik goal was in 2005-2006. Prior to that, was it as easy as it is today to share the replays of those types of beautiful goals?

The move might also have been popularized over the years, I mean those players today probably grew up practicing it to impress their teammates.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Impressive display of his artistry though he flubbed the shot. This is not a goal of the year, he won a single race staying strong on the puck and then he didn't even lift the puck trying his move while he was all alone.

At this point the game has evolved where this is no longer mind blowing and that impressive. I just shrug my shoulders when I see these goals at this point, no different than a regular wrist shot in 2021 compared to say 2011.

Next evolution of this is going for a lacrosse style spin goal starting with the stick from between your legs in a game.

Anyways wonder if this kid makes Team Canada 2022, seems to be hitting his stride here.

Just for the record, you’re never invited to my Parties or BBQ’s.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You said a lot of players could score the way he did...so I asked for the goals. Seems reasonable to me. You named one player. I'm not even saying that this is the GOTY, just that saying that a lot of players can do it is just not true.
Ask and you shall receive.. It was a pretty easy find. Enjoy the next 10 minutes.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

This is what a beautiful version looks like. The only impressive part of Barzal's goal is his strength to fight off Ristolainen and his speed to get to the puck.

To the posters who say but it doesn't matter he lifted the puck. Of course it does, when you watch a figure skater do a triple axel you don't get amazed when it's only a single especially when 4 year olds are lifting the puck when doing that move.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He had Hutton sold on the backhand and opened him up. The skill and mind for the game to be able to make that decision so fast along with his use of his edges is just so impressive to me.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

This is what a beautiful version looks like. The only impressive part of Barzal's goal is his strength to fight off Ristolainen and his speed to get to the puck.

To the posters who say but it doesn't matter he lifted the puck. Of course it does, when you watch a figure skater do a triple axel you don't get amazed when it's only a single especially when 4 year olds are lifting the puck when doing that move.

That was filthy but could you imagine what guys like Barzal McDavid and Kane would do in the KHL? It would be like pick up pond hockey to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad