Barzal with incredible goal between the legs

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lol... He wasn't gonna score any other way. It has GOTY chances.
Zero GOTY chances.

And I'd like to know your justification for him not being able to score any other way when 1v1 vs a goalie. I'd say he could have scored in other ways, too.

Not that that even was the point. Point is people vastly overrated goals between the legs. It's like saying that a backhand forehand deke is GOTY because "he wasn't going to score in any other way". Makes zero sense.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Zero GOTY chances.

And I'd like to know your justification for him not being able to score any other way when 1v1 vs a goalie. I'd say he could have scored in other ways, too.

Not that that even was the point. Point is people vastly overrated goals between the legs. It's like saying that a backhand forehand deke is GOTY because "he wasn't going to score in any other way". Makes zero sense.

You're missing what he's doing on the goal. When Hertl scored his between the legs goal, he was going for it the whole time. So he can have his balance shifted the right way to roof it. Barzal was off balance and deep already, so he used his edges to cut across Hutton, who stuck with him, so Barzal put it between his legs against the grain. Roofing that is next to impossible given Barzal's momentum as he was originally trying to roof a backhand before it was completely cut off. The fact that he got good wood on that is impressive. This isn't a video game... physics are a thing.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Zero GOTY chances.

Zero chance? Not even one in a million?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shrug.

Between the legs goals have to be the most overrated. This one he didn't even get elevation on, shrug. Better than avg goal I guess, wouldn't post a thread.
There is only one other player in the NHL that could score a similar goal that I can think of. That's McDavid. Maybe you only saw the finish of the play? Which was highlight worthy in itself, but watch from the beginning of the sequence. I can't even say Risto took a bad angle on that play, there are only a few select players with the speed and strength to beat a D man like that, then come in on shallow angle, control of the puck, have the hand dexterity, and be quick enough to make a split decision to reverse the play between the legs to score. I don't see how this is a routine play considering there are only a handful of players, maybe 2 in the NHL that can execute it. Here is the goal from the start of the sequence. Not a routine goal at all.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Zero GOTY chances.

Not gonna argue. I'm sorry you're unable to see the multiple levels of skill on that goal.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
There is only one other player in the NHL that could score a similar goal that I can think of. That's McDavid. Maybe you only saw the finish of the play? Which was highlight worthy in itself, but watch from the beginning of the sequence. I can't even say Risto took a bad angle on that play, there are only a few select players with the speed and strength to beat a D man like that, then come in on shallow angle, control of the puck, have the hand dexterity, and be quick enough to make a split decision to reverse the play between the legs to score. I don't see how this is a routine play considering there are only a handful of players, maybe 2 in the NHL that can execute it. Here is the goal from the start of the sequence. Not a routine goal at all.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Matthew Tkachuk says.. meh.. been there, done that. And against the Islanders too.

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
100% GOTY so far this year!

Speed, strength, balance and then the sweet hands!

I think it’s now finally official... the Oilers lost the Griffin Reinhart trade. :sarcasm::laugh::facepalm::(:mad:

Not sure if it's going to be the GOTY, but this should definitely be the post of the year. Well Done!

Reactions: zar

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
fanned on it. not impressed. :sarcasm:

I actually thought that as well but there’s one angle that showed he got all of it. He just didn’t elevate which would have been more ideal but he shot it low and straight in. He got the goalie committed and move across and he pulled it back. That why he was able to score low like that because it was open. If I had to guess he would
Have liked to elevate. Either way, still filthy

Reactions: ecemleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad