Barzal vs. Pettersson going forward

Who’d you take going forward?

• Total voters

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
He was lifted off the ice by Matheson's hit before he threw him down
That didn't answer my question. The initial hit was fine, and that's not what injured him. If the play ended there, he doesn't get hurt and he'd still be playing (same with Matheson).

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Voted EP afte changing my vote from Barzal. But if I could do it again I'd vote too close to call.

Barzal is proven. He's also older. He's clearly a better skater. He's stronger. But he is more of a playmaker than anything else. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

EP clearly has a better shot, while still being an elite playmaker. He's also younger, but not as good a skater and not as strong yet. His hockey sense is special.

I haven't seen enough of Barzal to say if he's better or worse defensively, but EP is already a strong defensive player. I think most weren't expecting his defensive game to be as far along as it is already.

Its hard to compare since EP hasn't played a full season yet, but he does look like a special player. Only advantage EP has right now is that he's ahead of where Barzal was as a teenager. Otherwise its really hard to argue against the more proven Barzal. Hence his lead.

Going forward? I think too close to call. This will be an interesting one to revisit at the end of the season.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Matthews concussion was no where near as severe as Petersson’s. Petersson tried to stand up and fell on his knees dazed, and had to be helped off the ice.

The Nucks list Petersson as 175 lbs, but he looks 150 lbs wet.

Matthews is 6’3” tall and 230 lbs. Huge difference.

What a horrible argument. You know Gretzky, the great one, greatest player of all time was just as lanky as Pettersson. Could you imagine anyone do this to Gretz? Noone deared to. Maybe we need the goons back or change the rules or something but don’t blame Pettersson. Some players are meant to be lanky and they also have the right to exist, just like Gretz.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Barzal is objectively the correct choice right now based on NHL production and accolades, but I'm going with Pettersson for two reasons.

1) I'm a shameless homer

2) I think his goal scoring abilities are in another tier than Barzal's, but I think his facilitating is only a small step down from Barzal's.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Before the concussion I would homer vote for Pettersson, but honestly the safe and reasonable choice is Barzal.

Just hoping Pettersson recovers fully from the concussion and doesn’t lose a step.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Swedish homer voting Barzal, hard to argue against the 85 point rookie who looks lethal every time he touches the ice.

I don't think EP needs 85 points to match Barzal's rookie season though; if he puts up 75 points as Vancouver's undisputed #1 centre that's equally as impressive as putting up 85 while sharing the load with Tavares.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
That’s a tough one. Obviously Barzal is more proven, but going forward, I think I’ll be going with Pettersson.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The only reason why he isn't still tearing it up is because someone went outside of the rules to go after him.
Extrapolating a sample size of 5 games is not very clever. I would assume regressing to the mean would be another reason for him not still tearing it up.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
What a horrible argument. You know Gretzky, the great one, greatest player of all time was just as lanky as Pettersson. Could you imagine anyone do this to Gretz? Noone deared to. Maybe we need the goons back or change the rules or something but don’t blame Pettersson. Some players are meant to be lanky and they also have the right to exist, just like Gretz.
Pettersson isn't anywhere near Gretzky so you can just stop your comment there...

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
There were plenty that dared. Why would Dave Semenko scare Dave Brown or Bob Probert from running over Gretzky? That story is just bullshit. Listen in to what the greatest hitter of the 80's; Potvin said about Wayne. Then you might learn why they called him "the Shadow."

Pettersson was sent in too early and is too skinny without being used to small ice hockey. Players today are also a lot more naive then in Gretzky's days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->