Barzal vs. Pettersson going forward

Who’d you take going forward?

• Total voters

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Yeah i'm not big on making picks based on recency bias - but if people had high expectations for Petterson they could still pick him. Tbh if you had asked me to pick between both players before last season, I would have picked Petterson pretty damn easily. Barzal wasn't even on my radar.

85 points is fantastic - but before he truly raises his stock significantly in my book i'd like to see his year 2 and ensure it can become the norm for him, and not just a lucky first season. And - mostly - i expect Peterson to be at that level too.

I voted too close to call

*edit* - I suppose if the question is specifically worded as "who you take going forward" i'd lean Barzal as it's less risky. If the question was reworded as "who you expect to be better" - i'd maintain my vote of too close to call. Bc i can see it go either way
This is the best answer I've seen in this thread.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I’m just blown away by both of them. These two are going to compete with McDavid and Matthews for the crown among elite NHL forwards for the next decade or more. I do believe that Pettersson has slightly more upside because of his Gretzkyesque hockey IQ but Barzal is more proven so time will tell.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Who in their right mind would vote for a guy that has played five games and they have never ever seen play until said five games.

Would you also vote for "Fabian Brunnstrom more likely to win the Rocket than Ovechkin" in 2008-09 after one game, since he scored a hat trick?

Point is: A lot of rookies play like they are possesed the first games of their careers. We have many examples of hat tricks in first games; Hertel, Brunnstrom, Matthews (4).

Mar 26, 2010
If you pick pettersson you probably play the lottery weekly
:laugh:
You take the proven Calder winner Barzal over a 150 lbs player with 5 games played and concussion issues. After that bell is rung like that, you are never the same.

Last edited:

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I’m just blown away by both of them. These two are going to compete with McDavid and Matthews for the crown among elite NHL forwards for the next decade or more. I do believe that Pettersson has slightly more upside because of his Gretzkyesque hockey IQ but Barzal is more proven so time will tell.

I'm kind of curious what you base that upon? I honestly think Barzal is the smartest player in the whole league. A pure joy to watch and the definition of being Gretzkyesque in today's league.

I'm not saying Pettersson can't become a better player in the end. But with the lack of data that statement seems strange.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
You take the proven Calder winner Barzal over a 150 lbs player with 5 games played and concussion issues. After that bell is rung like that, you are never the same.
You are a Leafs fan yes? So you should know Matthews has concussion history too and he looks just fine. By the way Pettersson is 175 lbs and 19 years old.

Mar 26, 2010
You are a Leafs fan yes? So you should know Matthews has concussion history too and he looks just fine. By the way Pettersson is 175 lbs and 19 years old.
Matthews concussion was no where near as severe as Petersson’s. Petersson tried to stand up and fell on his knees dazed, and had to be helped off the ice.

The Nucks list Petersson as 175 lbs, but he looks 150 lbs wet.

Matthews is 6’3” tall and 230 lbs. Huge difference.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Matthews concussion was no where near as severe as Petersson’s. Petersson tried to stand up and fell on his knees dazed, and had to be helped off the ice.

The Nucks list Petersson as 175 lbs, but he looks 150 lbs wet.

Matthews is 6’3” tall and 230 lbs. Huge difference.
And you know Petterssons was more severe because you're a doctor? Or you are him? Concussions are concussions and should be treated as so. Petterssons is likely to miss the same amount of time Matthews did when he got his. What Petterssons weight may look like does not refrain from the fact he is 19 years old and 175 lbs, with a lot of time to fill out his 6'3 frame.

Mar 26, 2010
And you know Petterssons was more severe because you're a doctor? Or you are him? Concussions are concussions and should be treated as so. Petterssons is likely to miss the same amount of time Matthews did when he got his. What Petterssons weight may look like does not refrain from the fact he is 19 years old and 175 lbs, with a lot of time to fill out his 6'3 frame.

Actually no, there are 3 grades of concussions. They are not all the same as you have suggested. Petersson was rocked badly, had no idea where he was. His equilibrium was completely gone...could not even stand up at first. That is much more severe than what Matthews ever had! Matthews had a mild grade 1. Petersson was severe grade 3, based off of his acute symptoms.

The more severe the brain trauma is the easier you become concussed again. Hopefully he recovers well, and is ok.

Matthews came into the league at 6’3” 216 lbs. not 150-175 lbs.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

LOL you just said, he will miss as much time as Matthews, but then you respond by saying "you are never the same" look at Auston Matthews today.

btw love the 150 lb accusation. No wonder everyone is sick of you guys.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
LOL you just said, he will miss as much time as Matthews, but then you respond by saying "you are never the same" look at Auston Matthews today.

btw love the 150 lb accusation. No wonder everyone is sick of you guys.
I can't agree more, I can understand people trying to evaluate concussions but its just not as simple as they think it is, people try to downplay Petterssons concussion as if it was nothing but a simple injury, it just makes them look bad because it is a concussion regardless of how much he weighs. They act is if he deserves it because of his size which is inherently wrong.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Who in their right mind would vote for a guy that has played five games and they have never ever seen play until said five games.

Would you also vote for "Fabian Brunnstrom more likely to win the Rocket than Ovechkin" in 2008-09 after one game, since he scored a hat trick?

Point is: A lot of rookies play like they are possesed the first games of their careers. We have many examples of hat tricks in first games; Hertel, Brunnstrom, Matthews (4).

Would be a good point if you ignore all the other factors involved, namely that Brunstrom was a 23/24 year old when he came over to North America and never had the same type of success over in Sweden that an 18/19 year old Pettersson did. You do know that Pettersson broke the Swedish record for scoring by a rookie, and there has been a lot of elite talent that has come over from Sweden to go on to have hall of fame careers. Pettersson's start to his NHL career isn't a surprise to anyone that has followed him. Yes Barzal is more proven at the NHL level, but it's not a surprise that Pettersson's talent has translated at the NHL level.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Actually no, there are 3 grades of concussions. They are not all the same as you have suggested. Petersson was rocked badly, had no idea where he was. His equilibrium was completely gone...could not even stand up at first. That is much more severe than what Matthews ever had! Matthews had a mild grade 1. Petersson was severe grade 3, based off of his acute symptoms.

The more severe the brain trauma is the easier you become concussed again. Hopefully he recovers well, and is ok.

Matthews came into the league at 6’3” 216 lbs. not 150-175 lbs.

You look at that pencil neck on Pettersson and you just know there will be problems with physicality in the NHL. I knew his lack of size would be apparent in the NHL but I didn't think the problem would surface as quickly as it did. I honestly don't see him playing a single full season in his career.

Mar 26, 2010
You look at that pencil neck on Pettersson and you just know there will be problems with physicality in the NHL. I knew his lack of size would be apparent in the NHL but I didn't think the problem would surface as quickly as it did. I honestly don't see him playing a single full season in his career.
Yeah, D men know how to play him now. Physical.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Well I'm not going to vote. And I'm not going to get into the whole argument of why this thread is or isn't silly. But I'm posting. Because I think this will be genuinely interesting to see how these two players pan out...

Both appear to be very creative playmakers and elusive skaters. But differ...

In Barzal, you have a skater with an exceptionally strong lower body that he uses to routinely out-muscles bigger players. Has great shot, but rarely uses (or even consider using it) first. Additionally, most Isles fans would say that his puck possession (exiting the d-zone, controlling the neutral and going the o-zone at will) is his greatest attribute.

In Pettersson, you have a player with a great shot and already knows how to use that shot. From what I've seen, his leg strength is not comparable to Barzal yet. I haven't seen enough to know how he is with carrying the puck to compare to Barzal.

Regardless, Isles and Nucks fans can agree that both players will be better than Matthews AND Tavares every day of the week, and twice on Sunday with regards to Tavares. :sarcasm:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

EP isn't some random rookie lol. Your argument is trash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad