Barzal vs. Pettersson going forward

Who’d you take going forward?

• Total voters

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
this is getting ridiculous. he's played 5 games. and got manhandled in his last game. not saying what matheson did was right but people have been saying the NHL is a different level and that sequence proved it.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
this is getting ridiculous. he's played 5 games. and got manhandled in his last game. not saying what matheson did was right but people have been saying the NHL is a different level and that sequence proved it.
Doesn't really mean anything, does it? He hasn't been "manhandled" within the rules. The only reason why he isn't still tearing it up is because someone went outside of the rules to go after him.

Reactions: clunk

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Doesn't really mean anything, does it? He hasn't been "manhandled" within the rules. The only reason why he isn't still tearing it up is because someone went outside of the rules to go after him.

OK a lot of players in this league play on the edge of the rules. Pettersson was manhandled. If he was stronger, he wouldn't have allowed another player to slam him into the ice like that. I'm not saying it's right or it belongs in the game but it's there. It's clear that he was overmatched in the physicality aspect of the sport at this level.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
OK a lot of players in this league play on the edge of the rules. Pettersson was manhandled. If he was stronger, he wouldn't have allowed another player to slam him into the ice like that. I'm not saying it's right or it belongs in the game but it's there. It's clear that he was overmatched in the physicality aspect of the sport at this level.
But it wasn't the physicality of the sport, it was physicality outside the rules of the sport. That's the part that's important.

If Johnny Gaudreau was 6'5 MacAvoy likely doesn't elbow him in the head. Do you consider him too short to play in the league?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Barzal is 2 inches shorter and weighs almost 15 more pounds than Pettersson. He played in 82 games last season and put up 85 points as a 20 year old. Maybe Pettersson needs another year or two until his frame gets close enough to his skillset that he won't have to be worried about being concussed by a 195 pound skater with a mean streak.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Doesn't make that play right, and there's a lot of exciting and skilled underweight players in the league, would you rather them all be out of the league just so we can have bigger and heavy hitting players play instead?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
But it wasn't the physicality of the sport, it was physicality outside the rules of the sport. That's the part that's important.

If Johnny Gaudreau was 6'5 MacAvoy likely doesn't elbow him in the head. Do you consider him too short to play in the league?

I'm not so sure that height has to do with being elbowed in the head. But what happened to Pettersson was a stronger specimen exerting their force on a weaker being.

As I said earlier, players play on the edge of the rules in this league and a lot of them will cross that line because millions of dollars are at stake.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm not so sure that height has to do with being elbowed in the head. But what happened to Pettersson was a stronger specimen exerting their force on a weaker being.

As I said earlier, players play on the edge of the rules in this league and a lot of them will cross that line because millions of dollars are at stake.
If Gaudreau's head was a foot high, it would have been well above MacAvoy's elbow, thus no elbow to the head. It's the same what-if.

That play wasn't just on the edge of the rules, it was well beyond them. No one had come close to "mandhandling" him in the 4 regular season and multiple pre-season games prior.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If Gaudreau's head was a foot high, it would have been well above MacAvoy's elbow, thus no elbow to the head. It's the same what-if.

That play wasn't just on the edge of the rules, it was well beyond them. No one had come close to "mandhandling" him in the 4 regular season and multiple pre-season games prior.

That play was not an elbow so they are two completely different circumstances. That play was not well beyond the rules as it didn't even warrant a 2 minute minor. If there was no injury and Pettersson bounced right back, no one would talk about it. If Elias had 10 more pounds of muscle, it probably doesn't happen, no one would talk about it.

edit: in fact the Panthers encourage that sort of play and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the teams in the league do as well. Straight from the coaches mouth: "Mike was trying to play a skilled player hard; that’s what we ask every night.”

Last edited:

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
That play was not an elbow so they are two completely different circumstances. That play was not well beyond the rules as it didn't even warrant a 2 minute minor. If there was no injury and Pettersson bounced right back, no one would talk about it. If Elias had 10 more pounds of muscle, it probably doesn't happen, no one would talk about it.

edit: in fact the Panthers encourage that sort of play and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the teams in the league do as well. Straight from the coaches mouth: "Mike was trying to play a skilled player hard; that’s what we ask every night.”

LOL. Matheson had his ankles broken all night. Thus he went WWE.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Lol as if Barzal wouldn't have gotten slammed to the ice there either.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Lol as if Barzal wouldn't have gotten slammed to the ice there either.

Yes, exactly that. He wouldn’t have. Barzal is 6 pounds lighter but 2 inches shorter. So probably about the same strength as Matheson. Pettersson is the same height and 17 pounds lighter. That is a huge difference and it showed.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can't believe Pettersson has so many votes, but I suppose this is Hockeys Future.

You take the guy who just out up PPG+ in his rookie season ten times outta ten.

Yeah i'm not big on making picks based on recency bias - but if people had high expectations for Petterson they could still pick him. Tbh if you had asked me to pick between both players before last season, I would have picked Petterson pretty damn easily. Barzal wasn't even on my radar.

85 points is fantastic - but before he truly raises his stock significantly in my book i'd like to see his year 2 and ensure it can become the norm for him, and not just a lucky first season. And - mostly - i expect Peterson to be at that level too.

I voted too close to call

*edit* - I suppose if the question is specifically worded as "who you take going forward" i'd lean Barzal as it's less risky. If the question was reworded as "who you expect to be better" - i'd maintain my vote of too close to call. Bc i can see it go either way

Reactions: CP4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad