Barzal vs Marner

What say you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal. Already a proven 85 point Center as a rookie in a larger season sample of games. Proven 85 point Centers of his talent and age are harder to find than 69 points producing wingers.

For Barzal being picked 16th in the same draft, just being compared to the 4th player picked from the same draft is a win enough here for all the posters that always believed in his talent.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I dont think they played on the same line

They played together about 90% on the PP. Considering Barzal had about 32% of his production on the PP, that is a considerable influence by Tavares directly.

Now add the benefit of JT drawing away top competition, while Marner was playing on the shutdown line tasked with going head-to-head against the leagues best in largely a defensive role ES.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If Marner outscores Barzal, it means Marner is better. Points prove everything.

If Barzal heavily outscores Marner, it means Marner is better. Points prove nothing, I have an obscure advanced stat that says Marner's AGGI/45 actually says he's the best winger in the game while Barzal shouldn't even be playing in the NHL.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If Marner outscores Barzal, it means Marner is better. Points prove everything.

If Barzal heavily outscores Marner, it means Marner is better. Points prove nothing, I have an obscure advanced stat that says Marner's AGGI/45 actually says he's the best winger in the game while Barzal shouldn't even be playing in the NHL.
after you unknot your jimmies if I had to pick today I would take Barzal but day by day its swinging more and more towards Marner.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The usual mitten-stringers will just say "but but 69 points!" as a way to downplay Marner. In the first half of last year he was playing in the bottom 6. He wasn't getting enough minutes or proper usage. He was on the 4th line at times. There were multiple threads making fun of his slow start.

Then in late January, Babcock had the brilliant idea to put his second best player in his top 6 and actually give him proper minutes. Since that point Marner has been one of the most productive players in the league.

He was moved into the top 6 on January 24th. He has 56 points in 48 games since that happened. That's a 96 point pace.

I have a feeling people hoping for his numbers to fall off significantly are going to be left disappointed. This is who he is, a ridiculously productive player when given proper usage.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
This is going to be really close to be honest. Both probably have identical offensive ceilings. Barzal is the better skater but I think Marner has higher end vision (both are elite). Marner probably slightly better hands. Barzal's edges are ridiculous though. Which is weird to say because Marner's are elite and Barzal somehow is a tier above there. Marner starts chronically slow yet already has 19 points in 15 games. If he does what he always does and torches the league in the second half, we could be looking at an even better season than Barzal's last year. Marner also is a takeaway god, but so is Barzal lol. They're ironically similar players.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Barzal. Already a proven 85 point Center as a rookie in a larger season sample of games. Proven 85 point Centers of his talent and age are harder to find than 69 points producing wingers.

For Barzal being picked 16th in the same draft, just being compared to the 4th player picked from the same draft is a win enough here for all the posters that always believed in his talent.
Id take Barzal to but he's not a proven 85 point player until he can do it consistently. If Marner can outproduce Barzal this year then it definitely swings towards Marner considering Marner is a better all around player despite being the one that is a winger.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Id take Barzal to but he's not a proven 85 point player until he can do it consistently. If Marner can outproduce Barzal this year then it definitely swings towards Marner considering Marner is a better all around player despite being the one that is a winger.

Well he has only had one full season under his belt. And he did it in his first year. I would say that qualifies as proven. You don't put an asterisk on a proven 85 points over one 82 game season. It's in the history books. So right now his potential has been filled for being known as a proven 85 points player in any given season. Obviously season to season points totals will vary, but if you are implying he has peaked at age 20-21. I think this is ridiculous. He may be a 100 point proven player one year in his best year. Just as it is possible his worst season could be 70 points. But Barzal has hit 85 points in his first chance. That's the definition of proven.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
This year is a small sample so far and luckily for u Matthews got injured so u have an excuse because he looked like he was gonna start a large drought. And what about last year? Where Barzal outscored Matthews over a full season? Funny u cherry pick a 10-15 game sample yet ignore all of last year where Barzal skated circles around Matthews.

You used a season where Matthews was hurt for 20 games and scoring went up significantly around the league. Next you’ll be telling me that Anders Lee and Josh Bailey are better than Mitch Marner as well.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Barzal at this point although I expect Marner to hit another level this year and close the gap. His backcheck has been pretty good this year. Also big LOL at the poster who said Marner doesnt drive his line. He drove his line while being paired with two vets(JVR and Bozak) and is the best player on a line that features John Tavares

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I will go with Marner, for now. If Barzal can repeat, I will be happily wrong. Just like Marner, he is fun to watch. Point totals obviously say one thing, and you cant blame folks for picking Barzal.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Barzal was better last season. Marner is better right now. Who will be better in the future? No clue. Doesn't matter. We are all hockey fans here, and this new generation of players is the most exciting we've had since 05. Let's just enjoy the show.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Barzal is an awesome young player and this one is a close one. I still go with Marner though, as he's just a bit more "electric".
I take it you don't watch Barzal if you're taking someone for being more electric than him. It's possible McDavid is the only more "electric" player than Barzal.

makes u wonder why tavares took less money to play with marner instead of playing with barzal doesnt it? im just asking the questions here
Yes, I'm sure Tavares' decision came down to having Barzal as his 2C v. having Marner as maybe his winger.

They played together about 90% on the PP. Considering Barzal had about 32% of his production on the PP, that is a considerable influence by Tavares directly.
Wild argument considering Barzal finished tied for 11th in even strength scoring, compared to Marner's tied for 68th.

Next you’ll be telling me that Anders Lee and Josh Bailey are better than Mitch Marner as well.
And next you'll be telling me Lee and Bailey were a product of Tavares.

Reactions: MattMartin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad