Barzal rookie season vs. Matthews rookie season

Which?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
So are we just going to ignore the playoffs where Matthews scored 4 goals and 5 points in 6 games. Pretty damn impressive for a rookie in his first playoffs in the NHL.

yes we are... irrelevant to what is being discussed. You cant use playoffs as a comparison when one player wont be in them. and his stats over a 6 game first round exit mean next to nothing (although still impressive)

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
yes we are... irrelevant to what is being discussed. You cant use playoffs as a comparison when one player wont be in them. and his stats over a 6 game first round exit mean next to nothing (although still impressive)
I just think if we are going to discuss rookie years playoffs should be discussed. Maybe it's not fair because Barzal didn't make the playoffs but maybe it's not fair to discuss pure points when Barzal is in a run and gun system and Matthews is being asked to more defensivly, face offs while facing tougher competition.

Reactions: Yamazaki

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
No one has answered my question yet. Usually to make some claim that one player is better than another there are a number of individual skills that makes player A better than player B. So what skills does Matthews have that make him a better player than Barzal? Skating. Passing, Shooting, durability, acceleration, top end speed, release etc...? All I know is that excellence in many of these skills gave Barzal 82 points, most likely the Calder, and counting.

Reactions: bionic

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just think if we are going to discuss rookie years playoffs should be discussed. Maybe it's not fair because Barzal didn't make the playoffs but maybe it's not fair to discuss pure points when Barzal is in a run and gun system and Matthews is being asked to more defensivly, face offs and tougher comp.

Haha, so instead of trying to make it as fair of a comparison as possible... let's just go with your biased set of criteria to pump up your guy. :facepalm:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I just think if we are going to discuss rookie years playoffs should be discussed. Maybe it's not fair because Barzal didn't make the playoffs but maybe it's not fair to discuss pure points when Barzal is in a run and gun system and Matthews is being asked to more defensivly, face offs while facing tougher competition.

What? Based on that logic Matthews is a better player than McDavid his rookie season and this year because the Oilers didn't make the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No one has answered my question yet. Usually to make some claim that one player is better than another there are a number of individual skills that makes player A better than player B. So what skills does Matthews have that make him a better player than Barzal? Skating. Passing, Shooting, durability, acceleration, top end speed, release etc...? All I know is that excellence in many of these skills gave Barzal 82 points, most likely the Calder, and counting.

Matthews has the same sort of knack Tavares has for seeming to know where to be, when to be there, and the puck somehow ends up where he goes. Matthews is also tremendous at protecting the puck (very tough to get it off him when he's shielding it along the boards), and his wrister is one of the best in hockey.

Barzal's edge is in his speed (not necessarily skating itself, as Matthews has tremendous balance and has decent speed himself), ability to turn on a dime, and passing ability.

But if you want to know specifically what Matthews does well, picture Tavares, but with a more lethal wrist shot and a much better skater.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Do you really not see the difference of the two things you posted? one is games that one played in and one didnt. The other is some biased analysis trying to justify why barzal outperformed matthews in the games they did both play in. Not trying to be condescending but thats a huge false equivalency

their zone starts in their rookie years are virtually identical re the bolded. Also would like to point out that i find it kind of sad that leaf fans are still pushing the "run and gun system" thing.... i mean ive seen it from countless leafs HF posters and almost nobody else.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Matthews has the same sort of knack Tavares has for seeming to know where to be, when to be there, and the puck somehow ends up where he goes. Matthews is also tremendous at protecting the puck (very tough to get it off him when he's shielding it along the boards), and his wrister is one of the best in hockey.

Barzal's edge is in his speed (not necessarily skating itself, as Matthews has tremendous balance and has decent speed himself), ability to turn on a dime, and passing ability.

But if you want to know specifically what Matthews does well, picture Tavares, but with a more lethal wrist shot and a much better skater.

This is actually what I was thinking. I see a lot of Tavares in Matthews. I'd say they are on the same Tier. But it's undeniable that Barzal's stickhandling, soft hands, vision, are already world class, but these traits are often overshadowed by his super elite overall skating abilities which maybe only 1 or 2 other players in this league can match. Most people notice the skating but miss those hands of his and more importantly his ability to stickhandle at top speeds and while being so shifty. That's the difference between the great players and the elite. Islander fans will tell you the Barzal was the far more impressive player than Tavares the entire year- as great a player as Tavares is and I think it is the ability to stick handle and make plays at full stride or while braking that makes Barzal a superior player.

Last edited:

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Haha, so instead of trying to make it as fair of a comparison as possible... let's just go with your biased set of criteria to pump up your guy. :facepalm:
Or we can ignore a very important component of having a great rookie season to make your guy look better. :thumbu:

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
What? Based on that logic Matthews is a better player than McDavid his rookie season and this year because the Oilers didn't make the playoffs.
Not saying that at all, but we need to discuss all aspects of a rookies first year in the league and not ignore very important parts such as the playoffs

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Matt Murray had a better rookie year than both, then. He won a Cup as a rookie --- twice!:sarcasm:
It's one aspect of an overall evaluation of a rookie year between Matthews and Barzal. Just like points and goals everything should be discussed to come up with a player you feel had the better year. Why ignore playoffs just because it dosnt benefit Barzal.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It's one aspect of an overall evaluation of a rookie year between Matthews and Barzal. Just like points and goals everything should be discussed to come up with a player you feel had the better year. Why ignore playoffs just because it dosnt benefit Barzal.

However an argument can also be made why include them because it only benefits Matthews?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

Wait...

The Leafs are 2nd in goals for and 13th in goals against. They aren't a "run and gun" system"?
If they are being asked to tighten up defensively, they aren't doing a great job of it.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Do you really not see the difference of the two things you posted? one is games that one played in and one didnt. The other is some biased analysis trying to justify why barzal outperformed matthews in the games they did both play in. Not trying to be condescending but thats a huge false equivalency

their zone starts in their rookie years are virtually identical re the bolded. Also would like to point out that i find it kind of sad that leaf fans are still pushing the "run and gun system" thing.... i mean ive seen it from countless leafs HF posters and almost nobody else.
Like I said before, when trying to evaluate a great rookie year all things must be taken into account. As for the run in gun system I think any team that scores as much as the islanders do and lets in the most goals in the NHL it's pretty clear the objective for the forwards is to score goals first.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Wait...

The Leafs are 2nd in goals for and 13th in goals against. They aren't a "run and gun" system"?
If they are being asked to tighten up defensively, they aren't doing a great job of it.
Well you have to take those numbers in context. In goal diff the leafs are +44, that puts them 6 best league wide. But I do agree the Leafs biggest weakness throughout the year has been the defence.
Early on in the season The Leafs were scoring like crazy but babcock was not happy so he pulled the reigns and got them to settle down and play a more structured system.
I don't think the reigns has been pulled back on the Islanders just yet.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Yes because finishing with 13+ points more in your D+3 year while playing behind Tavares in a higher scoring season is the equivalent of scoring 130+ more points.

The fact that you resort to such garbage extreme straw man examples shows that you don't have a concrete argument.

I'm not surprised that you missed my post right below it, which was a table showing how Barzal is smashing Matthews in points and possession stats, both in raw totals and relative to his team despite not getting easy minutes like Matthews with the highest offensive zone starts in the league.

If points are so easy to come by this year, why is Barzal beating Matthews - despite Matthews having the experience of an extra NHL season under his belt? If Matthews is better, why can't Nylander score more than 19 goals? Do you think he'd have less goals if he played with Barzal? If Matthews is so much better defensively, why are his possession stats worse?

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Barzal's is obviously much much better. But he was older and did not go straight from draft to the NHL. If you are talking strictly which is better it is Barzal, if you take in consideration age and draft year it is Matthew IMO.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
So today the best guy is who scores more goals, tomorrow it's who has more points, the day after it's P/60, then it's Primary Points/60, the following week it's 5v5 points per 60, then +/-, then who had the most dogs growing up, then who played in what league before the NHL, then who was born 3828 hours before this other guy...

The spinning by everyone on HF to push their narrative, we could cloth the world with it all...
Do not forget the most important stat of all. Loose puck retrievals per 60

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
He's had a better rookie season but its also a few years before he got to play. Would be nice to see what his season would of compared to a healthy Matthews all season.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
that makes no sense because he has no chance to play in the playoffs. Why compare their seasons when one player has no real control over whether his team makes the playoffs or not because they have an abysmal defense/goaltending. Its when you judge players head to head and start propelling one over the other because their teammates are playing their part that makes no sense.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
When comparing rookie seasons, I am just not sure how everyone can ignore age.

Both players are the same age. Last year, at age 19, Matthews scored 40 goals and Barzal played for the Seattle Thunderbirds.

This year both players are PPG producers but Barzal only has 7 more even strength points despite playing in 20 more games. Oh, and Matthews also happens to be one of the, if not the, most efficient goal scores in the league over the past two years.

Brazal is a great player. I am not trying to take anything away from him and he deserves the to be the ROY but what Matthews was able to do last year, at age 19, when Barzal was playing in the WHL is simply more impressive in my mind all things considered.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad