Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Being an Elite goal scorer you need to be just as good of a passer to be tops in the NHL no matter what position you play.. Ovi great goal scorer, but the times he wont the Art Ross he had to rack up the assist. Unil Backstrom came where that was his role to make plays. But McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kucherov, all these guys have been 40 to 50 goal scorers and had to playmake. And the issue with Matthews he cannot, so far playmake

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Mathews. Last year I would have said Barzal with it being close. With what I have seen from Barzal so far this year, its Mathews. Barzal needs to step it up.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
lmfao holy ****. yes. Auston Matthews has the best 5on5 goal rate since he entered the league by a good margin over McDavid, and by a god damn mile over everyone else, but sure, Pettersson, Barzal, whoever ya got, whatever. Anyone on a hot streak might be better than Matthews. Pens fans were probably justifiably angry when "is Toews/Doughty/Kopitar/whoever better than Crosby??" threads happened, but knowing that Connor McDavid is a million miles ahead of everyone, it's hilarious to me that everyone hot streak of the week makes everyone rush to compare them to the Leafs' best player just because nobody can deal with the Leafs being good. I mean, hey, it's been 15 years, so half this site can hardly remember the Leafs ever being good, but come on, if you're gonna rush to do hot takes, go the extra mile and compare to McDavid/Sid instead of making clear your homer love of your favorite player STILL doesn't outweigh how much you hate the Leafs.
and your homer love of the leafs is quite telling also

Reactions: dukeofjive

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Barzal hit 85 points as a rookie. Matthews still hasn’t hit 70 and is easily injured. It’s a lot closer then people will admit. Matthews is the far better goal scorer but Barzal is arguably the better overall player.

Mar 26, 2010
Has an AHL player outscored Matthews as a rookie and topped his career high as a 1st year?

Didn't think so, stop playing victim.
Yes every player scores 40 goals as a 19 yo rookie. That is the norm.

No victim here.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
lmfao holy ****. yes. Auston Matthews has the best 5on5 goal rate since he entered the league by a good margin over McDavid, and by a god damn mile over everyone else, but sure, Pettersson, Barzal, whoever ya got, whatever. Anyone on a hot streak might be better than Matthews. Pens fans were probably justifiably angry when "is Toews/Doughty/Kopitar/whoever better than Crosby??" threads happened, but knowing that Connor McDavid is a million miles ahead of everyone, it's hilarious to me that everyone hot streak of the week makes everyone rush to compare them to the Leafs' best player just because nobody can deal with the Leafs being good. I mean, hey, it's been 15 years, so half this site can hardly remember the Leafs ever being good, but come on, if you're gonna rush to do hot takes, go the extra mile and compare to McDavid/Sid instead of making clear your homer love of your favorite player STILL doesn't outweigh how much you hate the Leafs.
Dude, calm down. :biglaugh:

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Barzal is still elite at pushing the puck up the ice. Right now its not turning into offence like it was last year.

He has the worst plus minus on the Islanders. He is 41% in the dot. He has 5 even strength points and is pacing towards 7 goals. Most concerning is he has 15 shots in 12 games.

He is an elite talent who almost assuredly will play much better than this go forward. Regardless, any suggestion he is in the same tier as Matthews right now is laughable.

Babcock would move Barzal to wing.

Reactions: authentic

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Barzal is way more elite.

Like super more elite.

(unless Barzal was in Toronto, and Matthews wasn't - then it would be the other way around).

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Barzal hit 85 points as a rookie. Matthews still hasn’t hit 70 and is easily injured. It’s a lot closer then people will admit. Matthews is the far better goal scorer but Barzal is arguably the better overall player.

You know there's a whole other side of the ice to look at, it's not just about points.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Barzal Is Great and everything but I’ve yet to really be overly impressed by him this year. Sort of like Laine outside the one or two gms. There are about a dozen other guys who I’ve been impressed with over 7-8 different game s each this season, these two are also very different players and I find them hard to compare them. The injuries against Matthews shouldn’t be a huge arguing point unless it was concussions because there’s nothing overly significant to suggest he’s always going to get injured but if it keeps up then it will be more of a factor.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

To be fair Matthews scored 40 as a rookie.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Id still like to read some instances of what makes Matthews laughably or significantly better than Barzal. Alot of people are saying that but not saying why and acting like it's a no brainer.

I can understand why some people slightly give an edge to one or the other, but its just strange for me seeing people act like its a landslide win for Matthews.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Tavares had higher S% and oiSH% while having significantly worse possession stats, so I'm confused where your "more sustainable" argument comes from.
What is oiSH%? I honestly don't know and would like an explanation. Thanks.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I'd like to see Barzal show a little more ability to score. Hopefully its just a slow start this season ... If Barzal can score 20/25 goal a year than I'd take him over Matthews otherwise I'm not so sure.

Signed,
Islander Fan

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Matthews but Barzal has really impressed me. I think he is closer to Matthews than most may think

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Being an Elite goal scorer you need to be just as good of a passer to be tops in the NHL no matter what position you play.. Ovi great goal scorer, but the times he wont the Art Ross he had to rack up the assist. Unil Backstrom came where that was his role to make plays. But McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kucherov, all these guys have been 40 to 50 goal scorers and had to playmake. And the issue with Matthews he cannot, so far playmake

Ovechkin didn't win the Art Ross or even lead the NHL in goals until Backstrom came actually.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Barzal is still elite at pushing the puck up the ice. Right now its not turning into offence like it was last year.

He has the worst plus minus on the Islanders. He is 41% in the dot. He has 5 even strength points and is pacing towards 7 goals. Most concerning is he has 15 shots in 12 games.

He is an elite talent who almost assuredly will play much better than this go forward. Regardless, any suggestion he is in the same tier as Matthews right now is laughable.

Babcock would move Barzal to wing.

People thought he would be the same player being the #1 focus of other teams. He likely won't be right away, regression was expected. Matthews still gets keyed in on most and has worse linemates than Tavares and has the same amount of points in 3 less games.

Matthews>Tavares>Barzal and that's no insult to him, he's an exciting young player and should be elite for many years.

Reactions: zeke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad