Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
One can score goals the other guy can't.

Matthews>>>>>>>>>>Barzal

AINEC

I voted Matthews too but you could very well make an argument that one player plays every game and the other doesn't and that's not even close.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No actually. By my definition of sustainability, it means we can't evaluate a player properly after one great season in which he far surpassed anyone's expectations.
He rode a high PDO, crazy high zone starts and high OISh% to put together an incredible season.
I really love barzal. Honestly. But tavares has seasons of data that we can use to determine norms and outliers from.
Nonsense. One season was enough for Leaf fans to rave about Matthews, Marner and Nylander. You’ve come up with a very arbitrary test for sustainability. As for Barzal exceeding expectations what does that have to do with sustainability? A lot of great players aren’t number one picks. Barzal is elite. Just accept it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nonsense. One season was enough for Leaf fans to rave about Matthews, Marner and Nylander. You’ve come up with a very arbitrary test for sustainability. As for Barzal exceeding expectations what does that have to do with sustainability? A lot of great players aren’t number one picks. Barzal is elite. Just accept it.
Barzal is elite yes, but I and many others believe tavares is better. Simple as that.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews is on another level. I like Barzal don't get me wrong, but comparing Matthews and him is akin to Crosby vs Sequin
That’s a pretty poor analogy. Crosby is generational. Matthews has a career high of 69 points in an injury shortened season and is in the same group as Barzal, Laine, Eichel and a couple of others. Behind MacKinnon and McDavid. Matthews is a great young player but I’d pump the brakes on those kind of comparisons.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im curious what causes people to significantly prefer one or the other. I realize there are alot of Leaf fans on here and they will support Matthews no matter what(as most fan bases do with their players) but i am curious peoples reasoning why they think Matthews is quite a bit better than Barzal. And i am actually curious... Not trying to start trouble cause i am a MASSIVE fan of both players

Both are unreal, both centermen, both are prime players to build around, IMO Barzal generates a bit more offense yet has a lesser defensive game...where as IMO Matthews is a bit better playing a defensive game but a bit lesser offensive game(i know, i know Matthews was out scoring Barzal this season before getting hurt, but i feel JT is a huge reason for early success)

Barzal is currently at 97 points in 97 games to start his career and Matthews is pretty close to also being a point per game (148 points in 155 regular season games)

I dunno, its a pretty close race IMO... I know alot of people automatically like to say Matthews, but when you watch these 2 play, its pretty damn close. Both are unreal young players.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
The rookie season Matthews played, he played all 82 games.. Sorry

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Im curious what causes people to significantly prefer one or the other. I realize there are alot of Leaf fans on here and they will support Matthews no matter what(as most fan bases do with their players) but i am curious peoples reasoning why they think Matthews is quite a bit better than Barzal. And i am actually curious... Not trying to start trouble cause i am a MASSIVE fan of both players

Both are unreal, both centermen, both are prime players to build around, IMO Barzal generates a bit more offense yet has a lesser defensive game...where as IMO Matthews is a bit better playing a defensive game but a bit lesser offensive game(i know, i know Matthews was out scoring Barzal this season before getting hurt, but i feel JT is a huge reason for early success)

Barzal is currently at 97 points in 97 games to start his career and Matthews is pretty close to also being a point per game (148 points in 155 regular season games)

I dunno, its a pretty close race IMO... I know alot of people automatically like to say Matthews, but when you watch these 2 play, its pretty damn close. Both are unreal young players.

Goals count more than assists if points are equal (subconsciously, and thats just reality imo). That and Matthews has the prototypical #1 center frame, even if he does get injured..first overall pick...leafs...hype.

But mainly because Matthews has been doing it for an extra year.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I prefer Matthews because he’s an elite goal scorer while Barzal is an elite play maker.
But anyone who doesn’t see it as close is just being a homer. There’s a few young players in the mix here.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Goals count more than assists if points are equal (subconsciously, and thats just reality imo). That and Matthews has the prototypical #1 center frame, even if he does get injured..first overall pick...leafs...hype.

But mainly because Matthews has been doing it for an extra year.

Ya his injury list that seems to keep growing is pretty much the only thing that causes me concern.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Matthews defensive game and overall play is what makes him above Barzal, why do people only pretend offense is all that matters.

Reactions: Schooner

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Id like to hear who fans from other teams would prefer if they had to hand over a similar huge long term contract.

Obviously both are young elite centermen... One is a bigger goal scorer, other is a playmaker guy. Both play well defensively but one is a bit better... One has been injured a bit already while other has so far been healthy(knock on wood)

I know every team has different types of players on their team and some may prefer a Matthews type or some may have some pure goal scorers that desperately want a Barzal type to set them up.

I know this is a thread to see who people think is better, but id be curious going through all teams what player their fan base feels would be a better fit and worthy of a similar massive contract

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
As an Islanders fan I'd take Matthews 8 days a week. I place a premium on goal-scoring and Matthews hands (especially around the net) are unbelievable.

That being said, I'm perfectly fine with Barzal. He might be the most exciting player in the league.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Id like to hear who fans from other teams would prefer if they had to hand over a similar huge long term contract.

Obviously both are young elite centermen... One is a bigger goal scorer, other is a playmaker guy. Both play well defensively but one is a bit better... One has been injured a bit already while other has so far been healthy(knock on wood)

I know every team has different types of players on their team and some may prefer a Matthews type or some may have some pure goal scorers that desperately want a Barzal type to set them up.

I know this is a thread to see who people think is better, but id be curious going through all teams what player their fan base feels would be a better fit and worthy of a similar massive contract

On the Avs, if we're looking for someone to anchor our 2nd line, a potential two-way force in Matthews that can score could be nice especially since we don't have many goal scorers outside the top line, but a guy like Barzal that could create offense and elevate the play of our less than ideal depth scorers could be incredible as well. No wrong answer here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Does the OP want us to speculate on who is going to be healthier in their career also? Right now, this is also a big factor on choosing which player to pick. A player that plays 82 games is more valuable than a player that plays 60 when talented Centers that are not separated all that much in talent are discussed. One an elite playmaker, the other an elite goal scorer.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->