Barzal is a top-10 centre in the league, isnt he?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Sure...cut Barzal some slack for his awful performance but everyone can bash Tavares even though it's completely irrelevant to this thread, and it's ok.

You just brought up Tavares, how damn insecure are you?

I haven't cut Barzal any slack, if you look at my posts this postseason, I've been one of the most critical Isles fans.

Just give it up already with the JT stuff, you got the player, yet many of the Wilted Leafs fans still feel the need to jump on any Barzal Bashing bandwagon thread in droves. Win a playoff round or qualify for one!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He and Point seem to have similar tools but Point to me seems far more willing to battle through guys and drive the net, while being the smaller of the two. Both can skate circles around you, but that willingness to fight through contact makes Point less predictable and more dynamic. At least twice last night he created quality chances while arguably being interfered with below the goal line.

You are right. I love Barzal but he needs to take a look at what Point does and figure out how to turn himself into a more complete player. He needs to start playing like a killer out there. Take pucks to the net, shoot more, and keep things simple.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You are right. I love Barzal but he needs to take a look at what Point does and figure out how to turn himself into a more complete player. He needs to start playing like a killer out there. Take pucks to the net, shoot more, and keep things simple.

in all fairness there has been a common theme throughout Barzal's career and that is he is not a proficient goal scorer. Not many players have had the success he has had while scoring a career high of 27 goals in his post draft year. Point on the other hand has shown throughout his career that he is capable of scoring goals at any level. Barzal is a fantastic two way player as he thoroughly dominated the philly series, but He looked like he was out of gas in the lightning series. Still a great player.

Reactions: NatoGhost

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
he's faster and flashier. Thats about it. Tavares is neither but he's effective. Barzal looks great out there but doesn't have a lot of end product. Amazing skating, elite level puck control. But his shot, decision making etc are not elite. He hold the puck too long, or passes when he has a good shooting chance, etc. All things he can work on for sure, you can't teach what he does well. But as of now, no he's not a top 10 C in the NHL. AINEC.

1383926-YzAEIeqeKDd_D7cL.jpg

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's that killer instinct that separates Point and other top centers, IMO. The major problem with the perimeter play is it keeps him predictable. If he starts attacking the net, everything else he does will suddenly become more effective. Even if he's not a great shooter, a willingness to shoot will open up his passing options. TB really just covered his wingers and let him noodle around the perimeter all he wanted.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not worried about Barzal. He's better now than he was 1 or 2 years ago, and he'll be better than he is now in a year and in 2 years. He's improving, and he's capable of doing things that only a few (literally a few) players can do.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
You just brought up Tavares, how damn insecure are you?

I haven't cut Barzal any slack, if you look at my posts this postseason, I've been one of the most critical Isles fans.

Just give it up already with the JT stuff, you got the player, yet many of the Wilted Leafs fans still feel the need to jump on any Barzal Bashing bandwagon thread in droves. Win a playoff round or qualify for one!

I didn't bring up JT. People are bashing JT 4 posts in....

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It's that killer instinct that separates Point and other top centers, IMO. The major problem with the perimeter play is it keeps him predictable. If he starts attacking the net, everything else he does will suddenly become more effective. Even if he's not a great shooter, a willingness to shoot will open up his passing options. TB really just covered his wingers and let him noodle around the perimeter all he wanted.
Trotz does not encourage killing instinct. Lee had better killing instinct before he played for Trotz, because the players are not taking chances scared that if their risky move does not work it will be backfired. So it will come down to if you will play for the team or yourself? A lot of gifted offensive players will ignore the coach & just go with what their eyes tell them to do.

Barzal will improve defensively under Trotz but offensively he will only improve if he goes to a team plays wide-open hockey. He was really incredible in the junior under 18 international tournament and skill-wise he can definitely improve if he works on those. Hockey IQ also comes with experience too. He will be much better once he hit his prime. If he wants to win personal trophies then he probably will end up playing on an all offense team down the road but if he wants to become a complete hockey player then he will be better to stay with Isles and learn.

Anyway I do not see why he will be paid more than $8M per year and any offer sheet to grab him will not make sense and history shows that offer sheet is hardly ever signed because most GMs will not take that much risk on players not yet proven elite and if an RFA is already elite his team will definitely match because the player is worth that much.

The consensus on HF board is that Barzal is not elite so why would he get paid more than $8 M a year now? Which GM is that impulsive and willing to take a risk to derail his franchise by throwing that many top picks on a player that is not yet elite?

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Trotz does not encourage killing instinct. Lee had better killing instinct before he played for Trotz, because the players are not taking chances scared that if their risky move does not work it will be backfired. So it will come down to if you will play for the team or yourself? A lot of gifted offensive players will ignore the coach & just go with what their eyes tell them to do.

Barzal will improve defensively under Trotz but offensively he will only improve if he goes to a team plays wide-open hockey. He was really incredible in the junior under 18 international tournament and skill-wise he can definitely improve if he works on those. Hockey IQ also comes with experience too. He will be much better once he hit his prime. If he wants to win personal trophies then he probably will end up playing on an all offense team down the road but if he want to become a complete hockey player then he will be better to stay with Isles and learn.

Anyway I do not see why he will be paid more than $8M per year and any offer sheet to grab him will not make sense and history shows that offer sheet is hardly ever signed because most GMs will not take that much risk on players not yet proven elite and if an RFA is already elite his team will definitely match because the player is worth that much.

The consensus on HF board is that Barzal is not elite so why would he get paid more than $8 M a year now? Which GM is that impulsive and willing to take a risk to derail his franchise by throwing that many top picks on a player that is not yet elite?

I definitely don't think he should get 8M, the Islanders should bridge him and continue building around the core while develops into a better overall player. The only issue is I don't the Islanders have a leg to stand on if Barzal chases money, an offer sheet of 8M is a realistic thing to expect, probably not what the Islanders want to pay this year but it's not exactly worth losing him over either.

The reason why we're confident in TB players not taking offer sheets is because as a group they all seem very attached to the team and are placed in a very good situation already. Barzal on the otherhand, I'm not sure how far his attachment to NY goes or his fondness of playing Trotz's system. If he believes it's holding him back then he'll take money he thinks he deserves.

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Have been comparing barzal to Jonathan drouin since barzal has come into the league. A lot of similar skill and issues. Barzal has found the back of the net more and i believe ultimately he is a better player but both had a habitual issue of skating in circles looking impressive and skilled but not really accomishing much and at times just turning the puck over because they over complicate the play

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Barzal's about an average 1st line center and there's nothing wrong with that for a 23 year old.

Even that is overestimating him. I can't imagine a team winning a cup with him running the 1st line

TheNorthStars

Stars/Leafs
Sep 3, 2018
Can you name 20 centers that are better?

McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Couturier, O'Reilly, Matthews, Zibanejad, Barkov, MacKinnon, Bergeron, Eichel, Aho, Pettersson, Scheifele, Backstrom, Point, Couture, Kuznetsov and Stamkos.

Some obviously better, some arguable.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Dallas is 3 wins away from winning the Cup with Seguin as their #1C. You really think Seguin's that much superior to Barzal?

I was referring to being a guy who can drive a line... "Running the 1st line" as I mentioned. Seguin is playing with Benn/Radulov, so Dallas doesn't have that problem with needing a top center.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was referring to being a guy who can drive a line... "Running the 1st line" as I mentioned. Seguin is playing with Benn/Radulov, so Dallas doesn't have that problem with needing a top center.

What is it about Barzal's game suggests he can't "run a line" as long as he has guys who can actually bury his passes?

Barzal's great at zone entries and he's a great passer. Lee's a bad fit because of how slow a skater he is (Barzal basically has to loop around to give Lee a chance to skate to the net, thus killing any quick transition offense) and Eberle's just not that much of a goal scorer.

I'm not saying Barzal can do what McDavid can or what Crosby could in his prime, but I'm not sure why Barzal's any less capable of being that premiere playmaker on a line that creates for his linemates, ala younger Giroux/Getzlaff or even what Marner (as a winger) does.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Couturier, O'Reilly, Matthews, Zibanejad, Barkov, MacKinnon, Bergeron, Eichel, Aho, Pettersson, Scheifele, Backstrom, Point, Couture, Kuznetsov and Stamkos.

I agree, which is why I said he's about an average 1st line center. That would put him around 16 give or take a few spots. I think that's a reasonable statement to make. Some of those names I'd argue Barzal is better than, others I wouldn't.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I have a hard time putting Barzal ahead of some of the top 10 lists...but I want to as a hockey fan. He’s quite incredible.

His possession and IQ are off the charts. He’s young and tries to do a little too much at times but this is common for the younger guys.

I think there’s a clear group ahead of him, but imo there’s an argument with couturier, stamkos, backstrom, etc.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

I'm perfectly fine putting him behind all of these players, an almost even % of which are either in or are about to enter decline years.

There's nothing wrong with having your #1 center be 20th in the league at the position if he's on the upswing. If Barzal wasn't steadily improving it'd be a concern but he has. My guess is Trotz sits him down and goes over why he can't try to do everything in the PO's as you see what happens. Kid's such a ridiculous competitor he'll take any coaching and run with it.

Reactions: buud

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Islanders fans when discussing Barzal: he is an elite C in the league, maybe a top 10.

Islanders fans when discussing Barzal and his contract comes up: he has a lot to prove, I think he should sign for 7.5M

He should definitely sign a bridge 7.5M a year because yes that will give him the chance to show that he can turn those high potentials into top scoring production and help to put up points in the standings. If he can accomplish this, this will put him in his prime with great opportunity to net a large long term contract he desires. Furthermore, when the league has recovered financially well from Covid-19, the overall cap space will increase thus more teams will be able to compete for his next contract meaning that he will have more choices to go where he wants to play for long term. Isles can get more offensive production out of their current line-up as well as from newbe (the two forward prospects with NHL shots highly likely will be in the line-up next season).

He is not going anywhere else as there are too many reasons why he would take that bridge and stay with Isles. The UFA market this year means a lot of teams will be spending money chasing several top UFA instead of looking at RFA offer sheets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad