Barzal is a top-10 centre in the league, isnt he?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Barzy should get no more than $7.5 M a year as an RFA and any GM do an offer sheet for more than that is not wise because hardly any fans had prove that he is elite yet. I personally think Aho is better too, never mind Point so his RFA contract should be not any higher than what they got, especially if the cap is lower next year due to the Pandemic. Oh, what did Crosby and Malkin got as RFA and they surely are much better.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Answering to OP, I think the skill is there, the skating as well.
But too many times in these playoffs it felt he fell short. He needs to adapt his style for the playoffs more to be considered top 10, imo. Too many times I saw him just skate and skate and not making anything other than to exhaust himself. Some more strength is needed as well.

He is an amazing player, but he's not there yet. But I think he has the will to improve and become one eventually.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Would have to think that Barzal gets at least the 8.5M that Aho got, especially with his comments around offer sheets.

Would probably take something between 8.5-9.5 to get him back

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think they will need to bridge him. With no picks this year, it will be harder to move out salary, and they need to keep Pulock and Toews around.

Unfortunately, I think this will make it tough to bring in a high end winger for Barzal. Maybe one of the kids can step up...

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He needs help,having Eberle as one of the teams number 1 wingers isnt exactly ideal
Barzal would make plays again and again ,only to have them die as soon as he passed the puck..Its the one glaring weakness on that team,everything else is there...Just a bit more pop is all they need tbh

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Point and he'd still be better in every other area on the ice as well. Barzal was a complete non-factor this series, turnover machine and I've never seen guy so scared to go to the net.
VnD.gif

And somebody at NBC works at his agency...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Barzal would make plays again and again ,only to have them die as soon as he passed the puck..Its the one glaring weakness on that team,everything else is there...Just a bit more pop is all they need tbh

That's not really true. He made plays in parts of the rink where you can't score. He made the odd dangerous play that was flubbed by someone else, but mostly he was passing around the perimeter (after skating around the perimeter).

It looked like TB was content to just let him go. They weren't overly aggressive on him -- they just covered his options. if Barzal had started attacking the net, they wouldn't have been able to do that.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's not really true. He made plays in parts of the rink where you can't score. He made the odd dangerous play that was flubbed by someone else, but mostly he was passing around the perimeter (after skating around the perimeter).

It looked like TB was content to just let him go. They weren't overly aggressive on him -- they just covered his options. if Barzal had started attacking the net, they wouldn't have been able to do that.
With his speed and hands ,that shouldnt be his role TBH

Reactions: buud

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Barzal pulled a Kadri on this one. Watched his man score the series clincher.
An offensive player getting beat....Yeah Iam sure there are tons of these for every team...Doesnt Make Barzal a bad player now come on..

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
An offensive player getting beat....Yeah Iam sure there are tons of these for every team...Doesnt Make Barzal a bad player now come on..

It doesn't, but I expect more from a top 10 C. The horrid performance on the OT powerplay was also pretty rough.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It doesn't, but I expect more from a top 10 C. The horrid performance on the OT powerplay was also pretty rough.
Give him a break,the NYI dont have the offensive skill that TB has...He is the only real offensively gifted player they have up front...He needs better support from his wingers,now the top 10 is subjective...In actuality most of the leagues top 20 forwards move in and out of it year to year,and is Barzal in this list ??For sure

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Barzy should get no more than $7.5 M a year as an RFA and any GM do an offer sheet for more than that is not wise because hardly any fans had prove that he is elite yet. I personally think Aho is better too, never mind Point so his RFA contract should be not any higher than what they got, especially if the cap is lower next year due to the Pandemic. Oh, what did Crosby and Malkin got as RFA and they surely are much better.

Point signed a bridge. I agree with you on Aho but he signed a pretty cheap deal, so it’s not an ideal comparison. I think Barzal at 5x$8.5m is perfectly fine.

Crosby and Malkin got >15% of the cap as RFAs, which is about $12m today.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
He and Point seem to have similar tools but Point to me seems far more willing to battle through guys and drive the net, while being the smaller of the two. Both can skate circles around you, but that willingness to fight through contact makes Point less predictable and more dynamic. At least twice last night he created quality chances while arguably being interfered with below the goal line.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Point and he'd still be better in every other area on the ice as well. Barzal was a complete non-factor this series, turnover machine and I've never seen guy so scared to go to the net.

TBL would be stupid to make that trade if the NYI threw in pulock and 3 #1 picks. Point >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> barzal

Guess who was floating back on the last play and let his man score right in front of him to win the series?

Reactions: Merrrlin

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
He and Point seem to have similar tools but Point to me seems far more willing to battle through guys and drive the net, while being the smaller of the two. Both can skate circles around you, but that willingness to fight through contact makes Point less predictable and more dynamic. At least twice last night he created quality chances while arguably being interfered with below the goal line.

There is no comparison, Point is a vastly more complete player.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
I think he will take another step. To me, it's all about a willingness to funnel things toward the net, which can be tough, but that's about all that's separating him from the top guys. Too many of his plays are benign.

Never know -- might be a blessing in disguise if this series shaves some $ off his new contract.

Also defense

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009

barzal is the ultimate perimeter player, will dance and spin around - 45 feet from the net, then float back on D and never checks/goes into corners to dig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->