Barzal is a top-10 centre in the league, isnt he?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If Barzal was traded for Point straight up, who would put up more points next season?

Hmm.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Your argument would make sense when talking about Point and Tampa, but what advantage do the Pens provide Malkin? It's not like Barzal would get better linemates, a longer leash or a system that pads points. Barzal isn't expected to carry his linemates, so wouldn't this switch benefit Malkin?
Not even then, since Point has massively outplayed him this series, despite our top 6 being held together by scotch tape and Kucherov's anger at this point

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Barzal is not better than Malkin, but let's put Barzal on the Penguins and Malkin on the Isles and let's see how many points each put up then.
Barzal just killed the Islanders pp. Coughed the puck up 3 times in a row entering the zone.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Tunnel vision offensively, too lazy to defend. Top 10 center

Cotton

May 13, 2013
If Barzal was traded for Point straight up, who would put up more points next season?

Hmm.

I don’t even think they’re on the same tier. Barzal is a low-end 1C who only went P/pg as a rookie because Tavares shielded him, he’s been a 60pts player otherwise. Point on the other hand is a legit top 10 at this point, could be the next Bergeron.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Barzal had 4 points in the series (Series: 0G, 4A, 11S, -5, ~140 minutes)
Point had 5 points in game 1 (Series: 3G, 4A, 11S, +6, ~70 minutes)

Still impressive overall for Barzal, though.

Last edited:

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
No doubt Barzal is really skilled. However, this playoff series was not a good showing at all. Knowing Lou from when he ran the Devils, he is going to have a serious talk with Barzal about needing to mature as a player.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Unfortunately my team took Meier instead of Barzal in that draft. Then Dallas went off the board and took some kid named Gurianov ahead of Barzal. Then Boston had three picks and did not pick Barzal.

Reactions: flyersNducks

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
No doubt Barzal is really skilled. However, this playoff series was not a good showing at all. Knowing Lou from when he ran the Devils, he is going to have a serious talk with Barzal about needing to mature as a player.
Or maybe he just made himself cheaper for the Islanders to extend. Lou playing the long con.

Reactions: Speedtrials

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yea we get it, Barzal has a lot of work to do. Come on in everyone, sprinkle some salt in the wound. You'd take him on your team in a heartbeat.

Of course. Anyone would take him on their team in a heartbeat. Anyone would take any of the top, what, 60 centers in the league in a heartbeat? The question where he fits in the hierarchy of centers. He's near the top; just not in the top handful.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Of course. Anyone would take him on their team in a heartbeat. Anyone would take any of the top, what, 60 centers in the league in a heartbeat? The question where he fits in the hierarchy of centers. He's near the top; just not in the top handful.

No argument from this Isles fan. Something tells me this thread will be opened one day like a time capsule, but for now, it's work to do for Barzal. Look at what MacKinnon did after struggling, use that as inspiration and come back better and stronger next season.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Yes Barzal got it handed to him by Point, but he is a great centre now who will only continue to improve.

There are some awful posts on Barzal here..wildly inaccurate.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No argument from this Isles fan. Something tells me this thread will be opened one day like a time capsule, but for now, it's work to do for Barzal. Look at what MacKinnon did after struggling, use that as inspiration and come back better and stronger next season.
I think he will take another step. To me, it's all about a willingness to funnel things toward the net, which can be tough, but that's about all that's separating him from the top guys. Too many of his plays are benign.

Never know -- might be a blessing in disguise if this series shaves some $ off his new contract.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Question for everyone - last year, Barzal finished 24th overall in terms of asset value in the NHL.

How far does he move up this season? (or down, I guess is possible). Obviously his contract will impact that a little. I could see him passing Marner, but I am not sure he can move that much further up yet.

3120PointLightning6.82 RFA
3021SvechnikovHurricanesELC1
2922MarnerLeafs10.95
2823ScheifeleJets6.14
2724BarzalIslandersRFA0
2625RantanenAvalanche9.35
2526ChabotSenatorsRFA0
2427CouturierFlyers4.32
2328OvechkinCapitals9.51
2229SlavinHurricanes5.35
2130LaineJets6.81 RFA
2031ZibanejadRangers5.42
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mackinnon has to be #1 on this list right? what is the top 5

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
As an Isles fan, please do not compare him to MacKinnon. MacKinnon was compared to Crosby in his junior year and there is no such talk about Barzal ever. Barzal will be good but he can never be anything close to MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad