Barys Astana 16/17 season thread

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Another year, another weird summer in the capital of Kazakhstan as far as hockey is concerned. Despite the relegation of Kazakhstan from elite WC in the spring, unlike his predecessors, Nazarov somehow survived at the helm of Barys, thus we have had another turbulent and ridiculous pre-season while Nazarov unleashed the loose cannon that is Damir Ryspayev. Lets hope we have actually seen the last of his KHL cameos.

Overall, the roster looks worse than in previous years. Cam Barker has substituted Mike Lundin and Henrik Karlsson takes Jan Laco's place between pipes. Ancient Kolesnik will be good enough backup. For some reason Barys has released Rudenko and Krasnoslobodtsev and has signed some other local players that to me looks slightly worse, like Shin or Rymarev. There have been plenty of articles, that Nazarov has to deliver at OGQ at the start of the September with NT of Kazakhstan, so we might see everyone with Kazakh passport getting a bit more icetime. Boyd is out long term with an injury, everyone else on the roster simply is a year older, so unlikely that teams luck will suddenly improve this season. Useless Konstantin Romanov finally has been shown the door, but Artemi Lakiza still continues to defy the rules of physics and still somehow has a job in KHL...

Hopefully Barys is good and consistent enough to squeeze into playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath. Lets hope some local (not nationalized) Kazakh youngsters gets icetime and breaks out.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, opening night roster without Boyd and Zhailauov looks terribad. Other than 3 forwards and 4 defenseman all other guys are borderline VHL-ers. Also, starting back-up in the season opener is great idea, Nazarov is so good at his job.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yeah, opening night roster without Boyd and Zhailauov looks terribad. Other than 3 forwards and 4 defenseman all other guys are borderline VHL-ers. Also, starting back-up in the season opener is great idea, Nazarov is so good at his job.

Well Zhailauov has slowed down considerably in past years due to injuries, he's not what he once were and was only signed after a try-out.

Anyway, will Nazarov be the first coach axed this year? His fortunes with Kazakhstan in OGQ also will play a huge role. Also I can see Barys splashing cash on some panic signings after potentially awful start of the season.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well Zhailauov has slowed down considerably in past years due to injuries, he's not what he once were and was only signed after a try-out.

Anyway, will Nazarov be the first coach axed this year? His fortunes with Kazakhstan in OGQ also will play a huge role. Also I can see Barys splashing cash on some panic signings after potentially awful start of the season.

I know, but still I would expect him to be better than a 27 year-old guy playing his first KHL game after scoring 13 points in the VHL last season who is currently playing on the 2nd line. He can't be worse, just really can't no matter how slowed down he is.

About Nazarov, yeah, I can't see him keeping his job for too long especially if they lose today because this and Yugra are the only easy opponents Barys get early in the season.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I know, but still I would expect him to be better than a 27 year-old guy playing his first KHL game after scoring 13 points in the VHL last season who is currently playing on the 2nd line. He can't be worse, just really can't no matter how slowed down he is.

Ewww, the dude scored in last WC against Latvia, so he must be really good ;)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't want to necessarily bash the guy just because he wrote one "out there" sentence ("I swear, if Barys ever got a star goalie they could win the Gagarin Cup") which, it has to be said, is a ridiculous nonsense even though it arguably kinda sorta applied to some Barys teams in the past. He does highlight the main points and activities of what Barys did in the offseason and paints a decent picture which is why one would read such review I'd imagine but overall the guy seems to be out of touch with realities of the team/league and that leads to some crazy assumptions and not identifying the problems this team has.

Overall, this is a decent superficial review where the author wasn't insightful enough to say anything worthwhile about the team and tried to be really sensational and over the top so he was.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
What do you think of this article about Barys?

https://conwaysrussianhockey.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/barys-astana-in-2016-17/#more-11047

I love this guy's previews a lot. Most importantly, he writes in English which is a blessing. I am kinda confused after reading both this article and what you guys wrote here.

I don't want to necessarily bash the guy just because he wrote one "out there" sentence ("I swear, if Barys ever got a star goalie they could win the Gagarin Cup") which, it has to be said, is a ridiculous nonsense even though it arguably kinda sorta applied to some Barys teams in the past. He does highlight the main points and activities of what Barys did in the offseason and paints a decent picture which is why one would read such review I'd imagine but overall the guy seems to be out of touch with realities of the team/league and that leads to some crazy assumptions and not identifying the problems this team has.

Overall, this is a decent superficial review where the author wasn't insightful enough to say anything worthwhile about the team and tried to be really sensational and over the top so he was.

Indeed, wrote more or less by looking up player stats on Eliteprospects. Still a decent effort.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Honestly, I'd charge money to write anything better than that.

Re: Barys, a talentless goon squad who loves to play tough against the smallest team in the league.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Honestly, I'd charge money to write anything better than that.

Re: Barys, a talentless goon squad who loves to play tough against the smallest team in the league.

Exactly. Assuming the guy does it for free that's all you can ask for.

Yeah, that fight with 3 seconds left, so needed. Also Dawes fighting, of all people. Once again, Nazarov is such a great coach, I would ask 1 of 3 decent forwards I have to do that too if I was him. Biryukov really earned his moneys this game, well done to him.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Going to watch the game on laola1 later tonight, but just looking at the box score...Polishchuk with 2 assists. :amazed:

Milos Krasic

Jul 1, 2008
Semyonov with great effort on 2nd Kuznya goal

Unlucky not to stop that. Kolesnik was in concrete

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Word is Nick Antropov agreed to join Barys where he is dearly needed in this situation so at least the 2nd line will look somewhat ok when everyone's healthy.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Word is Nick Antropov agreed to join Barys where he is dearly needed in this situation so at least the 2nd line will look somewhat ok when everyone's healthy.

Wonder how useful can he be after a year off and his injury history. :/

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Now Babayev calls this coming out of retirement a nonsense which makes sense. Also Zhailauov actually refuses to sign two-way deal and leaves the club completely. Everything around Barys feels like shambles. :(

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well they have to get some quality forwards somewhere. Otherwise, it's really unlikely they are even going to make the playoffs regardless of who the coach is.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Surprise surprise, the expected happened, Barys are letting Nazarov go after failed OGQ. Funny how in a interview before the quals he said he doesn't feel under pressure as bad Barys' results were expected but team needs to be this way for Kazakhstan NT to get better and how he cared about the sport in the country in general. Week later, he can look for another country to grow hockey in.

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
Well they have to get some quality forwards somewhere. Otherwise, it's really unlikely they are even going to make the playoffs regardless of who the coach is.

they likes of Bochenski, Boyd, Dawes not enough anymore? Well one of the seems to be injured everytime, together the are one of the best lines in the KHL.

Didnt Barys get some Forwards ? doesnt look like they lost too much quality upfront (well they maybe need more than last year anyway)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
they likes of Bochenski, Boyd, Dawes not enough anymore? Well one of the seems to be injured everytime, together the are one of the best lines in the KHL.

Didnt Barys get some Forwards ? doesnt look like they lost too much quality upfront (well they maybe need more than last year anyway)

Those three guys are extremely healthy for the minutes they play. In last 3 seasons Bochenski hasn't missed a game, Dawes missed 5 and Boyd 16. Even 16/174 isn't bad at all, that's not really an issue. Obviously the like of Dawes, Bochenski and Boyd are enough, problem is they and Starchenko are all Barys has. They currently have 4 top-6 forwards and 8 4th liners on the roster. Literally, when everyone is healthy they have 8 forwards who would struggle to be in the lineup on most teams.

They lost proven KHLers in Krasnoslobostsev and Rudenko and replaced them with guys from VHL and Kazakh league. So effectively they downgraded the roster which required strengthening.

Overall, over the existence of Barys really good Kazakh players like Upper, Antropov, Rudenko, Zhailauov got old and were replaced by really bad Kazakh players. There are literally no Kazakhs between age 22-30 worth talking about. So Barys either has to lure guys like Koshelev and Sergiyenko back to Kazakhstan or get more imports. Or drown in mediocrity in the foreseeable future.

Milos Krasic

Jul 1, 2008
To be fair, Rudenko and Upper are ancient. Barys couldn't use them much longer regardless.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, obviously. I mean Upper has retired, so has Antropov, Rudenko and Zhailauov are getting close to it. Fact remains, they haven't been replaced.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The only guy who dislikes this firing probably is Ryspayev, his KHL career is as good as over. No idea who can take over the team, but I imagine the eventual coach might consider resigning the castaways like Zhailauov or even Rudenko.

My bet is that coach will come from Finland or Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad